Tom
Years ago

36ers V Hawks 16/17 R1

The Illawarra Hawks host the youthful Adelaide 36ers tonight as both teams look to kick off the season with a W. The 36ers go into the game as underdogs while the Hawks would be confident as they just took out the ABC.

My prediction Hawks by 10

Topic #40023 | Report this topic

Zodiac  
Years ago

Hawks up 11-2 already

Reply #600866 | Report this post

snooch  
Years ago

Adelaide looks horrible

Reply #600868 | Report this post

joshuapending  
Years ago

yeah look very shaky. Just need some easy hoops so we can settle.

Reply #600870 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Hawks making the granny this year

Reply #600873 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Stephen Jackson started his career in the NBL?

Mind blown

Reply #600874 | Report this post

snooch  
Years ago

This is amateur hour by Adelaide

Reply #600876 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Dear God

Reply #600879 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Da Handle

Reply #600881 | Report this post

Zodiac  
Years ago

Hopefully we can keep the Hawks under 120 points

Reply #600882 | Report this post

keyboard expert  
Years ago

Don't judge a season after 1 quarter.

Judge it before the season even starts. Adelaide for the spoon.

Reply #600884 | Report this post

Hendo8888  
Years ago

Looks like we're going to be running all 11 guys with more than junk minutes this year.

Reply #600886 | Report this post

joshuapending  
Years ago

Creek continuing his good form from preseason. Deng has looked pretty active as well.

Reply #600891 | Report this post

Hendo8888  
Years ago

Mitch Creek is going to have a huge year.

Reply #600892 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Creek's shoulders doe

Reply #600893 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Jacobsen done anything yet?

Reply #600894 | Report this post

Hendo8888  
Years ago

Creek is on fire

Reply #600895 | Report this post

Zodiac  
Years ago

No, Carf Creek didn't win the state league MVP award during the offseason. People said he should've but he didn't win it.

Reply #600896 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Does Harris remind anyone else of Rosell Ellis?

Reply #600897 | Report this post

Mock  
Years ago

No kidding!

Reply #600898 | Report this post

Zodiac  
Years ago

DJ's decision making still woeful

Reply #600900 | Report this post

Wwizard  
Years ago

called the time out too late again!

almost like phil smythe like....wait til it blows out by 10+

Reply #600902 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

OSCAR CAN HIT A 3.....WHO KNEW !

Reply #600904 | Report this post

Tornado  
Years ago

Same old 36ers...cant defend the perimeter! 3rd quarter 3 point barrage from the Hawks and I am pretty sure this game is over.

Reply #600905 | Report this post

LV  
Years ago

36ers need Randle, Creek and DJ on court as much as possible....

Reply #600906 | Report this post

Zodiac  
Years ago

Creek anyway not sure about Randle or DJ.

Reply #600907 | Report this post

MACDUB  
Years ago

Personally, I feel like the 36ers have too many bench/deep bench players playing big minutes. I.e. ADL's 7th 8th 9th men etc are the same quality as other teams 10th and 11th men.

Hodgson, Sobey, Teys, Doyle etc. Play too many minutes for how good they are.

Youth is good but are ADL too young?

Reply #600908 | Report this post

Zodiac  
Years ago

I agree Teys, Sobey, Hodgson, Doyle would all be 10th or 11th men on other rosters.

Reply #600910 | Report this post

Tornado  
Years ago

Randle needs to be more aggressive...bring back last years version please!

Reply #600911 | Report this post

Zodiac  
Years ago

Bit late for this DJ when we're 27 down

Reply #600912 | Report this post

LV  
Years ago

All the talk has been about Melbourne and Sydney rosters....

What about the Hawks?

Incredibly deep. Just substantially improved a group that went 17-11 last season.

And unlike Melb and Sydney, Illawarra have the best coach in the comp.

Reply #600913 | Report this post

Zodiac  
Years ago

Which is why I had the Hawks finishing higher on the ladder than the Kings.

Reply #600914 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Clarke 4 MVP

Reply #600917 | Report this post

Mock  
Years ago

That slip from Teys says it all. The bloke is WANK

Reply #600918 | Report this post

MACDUB  
Years ago

I think theres quite a few dud imports around this league this season. Obviously too early for me to say that with any real validity though.

Reply #600919 | Report this post

Mock  
Years ago

Is Carf seriously saying he recognises Glover from when he was some random kid in the crowd at Illawarra? WHAT

Reply #600920 | Report this post

Zodiac  
Years ago

Oscar's well noted strong D too much for Teys there.

Reply #600921 | Report this post

Zodiac  
Years ago

Showron Glover's younger brother already a crowd favourite.

Reply #600922 | Report this post

Mock  
Years ago

I'm liking this Illawarra squad a lot YESSIR

Reply #600923 | Report this post

Mock  
Years ago

someone make that Teys FOOLISHNESS into a gif please

Reply #600924 | Report this post

Zodiac  
Years ago

Hopefully we can keep the Hawks under 120 points

sigh

Reply #600925 | Report this post

LV  
Years ago

Jacobsen really struggled tonight. And his no real credentials to speak of, his college career was hardly noteworthy. Think the 36ers are going to take some beatings inside.

And, other than Randle they have very little in playmaking, creating.

Feeling good about my "investment" in them coming last.

Reply #600928 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

How embarrassing to be a 36er fan right now. Atleast we have the #36ersfamily to live by. Fuck be going tone a long season. Giving up more in the 3rd than we scored in the second half.

Reply #600932 | Report this post

Mock  
Years ago

All the talk has been about Melbourne and Sydney rosters....

What about the Hawks?

Not from me it hasn't...Hawks have it all over Sydney.

Sydney just get hype because they're big market. Haven't been good for ages.

Reply #600933 | Report this post

ME (he/kangaroo)  
Years ago

Adelaide just don't have the horses to go anywhere this season. They have maybe 4 players that would play starters minutes on other teams and the rest would be lucky to make the squad on every other team in the league. They really are the new Townsville Crocodiles.

I have a feeling you're not going to get too many highlights out of Ferguson either. He battled his guts out with a great effort, but is he really going open himself up to take it to the rack much? I don't thinks so. Not this year in this competition anyway.

Forget the playoffs. I think Mitch Creek will have to be at MVP level to fight for 6th or 7th spot.

I know it is easy to be this cynical after a big loss, but I just don't see what we have over any other team.

The best thing the 36ers could do is drop Jacobson for a bulkier, bigger import, and look at getting rid of a few of Sobey, Teys, Doyle, Drmic because they add next to nothing that isn't brought by others on the squad.

Reply #600940 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Yeah ME, keep Doyle? Drmic is the big let down, but when you have imports that are not contributing, people don't play their roles well. Jacobsen and Randle just don't suit. Randle is too small and Jacobsen is not strong or athletic enough. Combine that with having Ferg at a young age and there it is!

Reply #600943 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Oh and DJ was wicked tonight too! Played like he did for Sturt

Reply #600944 | Report this post

Zodiac  
Years ago

This shouldn't have been too much of a surprise I like a few others had the 36ers finishing bottom and the Hawks 3rd.

The Hawks will be good but they were made to look like world beaters tonight by defence that would make the Washington Generals blush.

Reply #600945 | Report this post

ME (he/kangaroo)  
Years ago

It looks like having Adam Gibson with Randal allowed him to play his natural game more. I don't see Randal as any kind of distributer, and he's being asked to do things that aren't in his nature. The guy gets buckets - that should be his role.

I don't think Doyle, Sobey or any other point guard on the team is good enough to pair next to him and take the load off of him when it comes to running a team. And that means there are questions to be asked now.

It might sound like an overreaction, but I can't see us winning a single game with this line up with how tough this league is now. Something has got to give.

The only players whose spots should be guaranteed are Mitch Creek, Daniel Johnson, Hodgson, Ferguson and MAYBE Randal if they can pair him with a worthy point guard. Everyone else should be feeling the pressure right now.

Reply #600948 | Report this post

Swagger  
Years ago

ME - I wouldn't be guaranteeing DJ and Hodgson minutes. With some of the line-ups going around he league this year I think DJ's defensive flaws will be much more exposed.

I wouldn't be over-reacting from one game, but for me Majok will be the answer at the four spot as the season goes on. Five spot I don't think we have a starting calibre option.

Reply #600951 | Report this post

Master Chief  
Years ago

Me, Drmic will add something if he's given the chance to do so. He's a scorer who can light it up from deep. So how has Joey decided to use him so far ? Why can't anyone see that ?

Reply #600957 | Report this post

Swagger  
Years ago

Master Chief - Drmic will have to be patient. A lot of guys who want to get up shots on that team.

Interesting to see the path taken by the two brothers. Frank was long established in the league at the same age coming through the Magic and Titans.

Reply #600959 | Report this post

Master Chief  
Years ago

Swagger, exactly my point don't you think ?

Reply #600962 | Report this post

Swagger  
Years ago

Well Master Chief since you invited analysis of our conversation. I shall provide mine. Your point was he has the ability to contribute by making shots at this level. My point was some implied empathy for his situation as he wont get many looks early this season due to the mix of personalities on this team.

And your follow-up was a ill mannered response suggesting I lack reading comprehension skills. My response to your response is that you're acting like a jerk and attacking someone just because...you know...its the Internet.

So anyway not a great night for the Sixers and our fan base.

Reply #600963 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Rest in peace Adelaide 36ers. Pitiful and embarrassing.

Reply #600968 | Report this post

B  
Years ago

Feeling quietly confident right now about the bets I have on Adelaide to get the spoon lol

Reply #600971 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

But guys joey doesn't miss the playoffs! Great salesman.

Reply #600973 | Report this post

Master Chief  
Years ago

Swagger, I do see what you actually meant now but i didn't say anything about your reading comprehension skills or any such thing.

It wasn't even remotely a personal attack so stop pretending to be so outraged about a fairly simple comment regardless of the confusion.

I'd hate to see how you react to genuine ad hominem, which mine clearly wasn't.

Reply #600978 | Report this post

KET  
Years ago

36ers are too young. We might be competitive at home, but this kind of roster will be blown away...away.

Reply #600984 | Report this post

Swagger  
Years ago

You're a funny guy (I presume) Master Chief.

Apparently I'm pretending to be outraged, and you would hate to see how I would react to a genuine attack? In your world presumably by pretending to feel some other emotion.

In anycase the sixers sucked last night. Mitch was very good but has to not pick up cheap fouls. Majok was very good as well, and people familiar with him from around town know when his shot is dropping like last night he's a better option than the sulking, whining DJ we saw.

Had to laugh at Joey at the start of the fourth "We need to tighten up on D." Subs in DJ for Majok....speechless. Also should have got Mitch in while still some hope of a come-back.

Reply #600992 | Report this post

LV  
Years ago

Last night's result is not surprising when you consider 36ers ABC results - losing games against opponents who were severely undermanned.

Reply #600995 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Pathetic stuff from Swagger. More like cower

Reply #600996 | Report this post

Swagger  
Years ago

Little bit sensitive there Anonymous?

In anycase I want to talk about the game and the team. Not have you guys spitting chips at the computer.

Reply #601001 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Remember the idiot who thought that it was "only pre season" and it didn't matter.

Reply #601002 | Report this post

Pointybits  
Years ago

THE QUESTION IS "WHAT WILL BOTI SAY?"

PERHAPS JOEY COULD BE THE FIRST AMERICAN COACH TO BE SENT HOME

Reply #601015 | Report this post

Zodiac  
Years ago

Joey is in the first year of a new 3 year deal don't be silly.

Reply #601016 | Report this post

Pointybits  
Years ago

HOMICIDE was unstoppable until Lemanis scouted his weakness of no outside ability so all teams just stood off him and he became just a good import.

Randall took last seasons NBL by storm and received rave reviews from Adelaide posters and the cheque book went off.
Enter the Hawks recruit from Townsville, Norton who defensively tied Randle in knots. Then defenively backed up by Kevin White and Randle just went back to being just a good import

Reply #601019 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Signing joey to a 3 year deal was suicidal stuff. Moronic front office, he isn't that solid a coach and is easily stressed panicked out there. The talk the talk shine has rubbed off and it's not pretty now.

Reply #601030 | Report this post

snooch  
Years ago

So did anyone actually notice how good Wollongong is? That team is absolutely stacked from 1-10. I don't think Adelaide is going to be the only team blown out by them.

Reply #601034 | Report this post

Bear  
Years ago

I thought the game was lost for the 6'ers to some degree when Creek got into serious foul trouble. Then the monster centre for the Hawks got off the leash and made Adelaide's big men look a little soft, but by then it was too late in the game anyway.

DJ, Deng and Co. are skilled bigs, it seems the 6'ers will rely on this to win and covering a monster in the paint could be a weakness if things don't go well early.

Creek has improved quite a bit, in his shot and other aspects of his game are really taking off, but his IQ still needs to improve. I am specifically referring to silly fouls and the way he puts himself into foul trouble due to how he plays defensively.

Be smart and lead your team, Mitch!

As for 'Ant Man', he isn't a point guard, good luck with that...

Reply #601048 | Report this post

Bear  
Years ago

@snooch, yes Hawks look really deep, great to see they gave young teenager Angus Glover some good minutes too, loved to see that before he goes off to St Mary's next year.

Reply #601049 | Report this post

ROFLcopter  
Years ago

Creek appears to have stepped up in class. Should be a big year for him. Enjoyed watching him play,

Dang looks to have talent and could be a star.

The mosquito fleet is rubbish. Teys and Sobey....OMFG.
just not good enough to be at this level.

Grim year for the 6ers I predict.

Reply #601063 | Report this post

Old Mate  
Years ago

What about giving the Hawks some credit

Reply #601095 | Report this post

ROFLcopter  
Years ago

Fair point.

Hawks looked fantastic in parts. Top 4 for sure this year.

Reply #601112 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

United for the spoon this year. Sixers v Hawks grand final. United too old all of you jumped the gun on them. Anderson is shite

Reply #601374 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 11:21 am, Fri 19 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754