Anonymous
Years ago

Is Jacobsen going to be able to play at this level

Jacobsen seemed to lack size and skill to have any impact in the Illawarra game. How long can Adelaide run with the current big man combo? Will Randle last?

Topic #40025 | Report this topic

Zodiac  
Years ago

Prediction: Randle will be axed before Jacobsen is!

Reply #600916 | Report this post

ME (he/kangaroo)  
Years ago

Randle will last, Jacobson wont.

Reply #600929 | Report this post

LV  
Years ago

Jacobsen must have been signed as a budget import, since his His college career wasn't highly accomplished. I didn't expect much from him.

It's hard to see where their money is being spent. Deng had a good college career, maybe he signed for decent coin? But he's a 4 and playing behind DJ, and needs to bulk up before he defends NBL 4 men In the post.

Jacobsen appears to be one problem of many for this team.

Reply #600930 | Report this post

MACDUB  
Years ago

You can live with a Jacobson type in a good roster ala Hudson at the Breakers. (Where good coin is allocated elsewhere)

But when you have a fairly lackluster roster in terms of real star quality you can't really have a Jacobson in your team.

Randle would be getting good coin. Other than that, i think the 36ers are either under-spending or they've overpaid for 4 or 5 of those 7-12th men.

Reply #600935 | Report this post

MACDUB  
Years ago

11th*

Reply #600936 | Report this post

Zodiac  
Years ago

I should add Jacobsen would be a pretty cheap import Randle on the other hand is on pretty big money and with that massive bake Joey gave him in the media at the ABC and Randle's lackluster play all pre-season and tonight continued I wouldn't mind betting if after a few more games the 36ers don't think about extricating themselves from Randle's large contract.

Assuming of course like most imports he can be cut in the first month or two of his contract before it becomes guaranteed for the rest of the season.

Reply #600939 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

hmm yea Randle is worrying

im glad we didnt get him to sign for 3 years

he needs to lift,

as our highest paid player he needs to perform

Jacobsen is budget, and its only 1 game, he was fairly good in pre season, id be patient with him, he aint on big $$$

Reply #600942 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Budget or not, he doesn't suit the needs of the team! They need strength

Reply #600949 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Bring back ebi baby!!!

Reply #600950 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Can we just wait a little bit longer than round one before deciding that a player is terrible/MVP candidate/going to be axed/whatever?

Reply #600953 | Report this post

Zodiac  
Years ago

To be fair the 36ers played 12 pre-season games so it's 13 games worth of info not one.

Reply #600955 | Report this post

Master Chief  
Years ago

This is such a typical rubbish thread that asks all the wrong questions. Unbelievable !

Jacobsen was one of our best during the pre-season and now people make an assessment that he's not up to it on a night where the whole team struggled. Give him a chance.

Drmic looked fed up to me. Seemed to be constantly ignored. I'm worried we won't see the best of him under Joey.

It's only the first game but if you want to challenge something try the coaching first maybe ?

Reply #600956 | Report this post

LV  
Years ago

Jacobsen missed ABC due to concussion, yes?

So what did he do prior to that in the pre season? Weren't some of the 36ers other ore season games blowout wins vs undersized Chinese teams (making the form of big white guys irrelevant when considering their NBL credentials)?

Reply #600960 | Report this post

Master Chief  
Years ago

LV, so what ? He was good against Perth and Wollongong. The point is that don't you think he deserves half a chance before a skeptical thread is made about him almost immediately ? Ridiculous !

No one was particularly impressive tonight but i saw enough from him to suggest he can add a bit more defensively and also on the glass.

Reply #600961 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I was immediately concerned with this signing from the get go. Looked like shit then, looks like shit now. Typical Adelaide these days. Atleast joey will be moved on sooner than later. What have you done for me lately?

Reply #600966 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Master Cheif??? No one was impressive tonight? What game did you watch? I saw Creek go for 24 in 13 mins.

Reply #600970 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

So? Outscored by 35 in the second half. Who gives a shit about creek getting his. He is captain now, needs to lead in all areas not just score for himself. He should be ashamed to be the leader of that. No one played well.

Reply #600976 | Report this post

LV  
Years ago

Master Chief, the whole point is the 36ers need someone who can do more than "add a bit defensively and on the glass"... Their other 5 man is Matt Hodgson.

Reply #600979 | Report this post

Master Chief  
Years ago

Anonymous, I watched the same game as you. Yes, Creek was the obvious exception, so what ?

Team is entirety which was my point.

Reply #600980 | Report this post

LV  
Years ago

The issue with this 36ers team is that everything needs to go right.

Randle needs to repeat what he did last year. Creek needs to take a step forward (like he did tonight). 18 year old Ferguson needs to prove he can play against men. They need someone to step up and play back up point. They need Jacobsen/Hodgson to be competitive against the various 5 man combos in the league.

Even if all of this happens, they're still not guaranteed to make top 4.

Reply #600981 | Report this post

Master Chief  
Years ago

LV, We've lacked exactly that for a while. I just think give him a go.

I recall many on this forum being in agreement that Adelaide needed a no thrills type like EJ with the import spot. Now we think the opposite after one pretty poor game ?

Besides, he can do a bit of everything anyway. DJ should be our main scoring big with EJ 'pinch hitting' with the occasional big game to be expected (10 and 10 guy). But for the most part he was recruited to add what we all agree the team has lacked for a while in a few areas.

I'm not concerned about losing with this team. I just want to see some system and purpose.

Reply #600982 | Report this post

Benno  
Years ago

agreed Jacobsen and Randle for Ebi should fix it

Reply #600983 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Totally agree with you Master Chief, there is a similar thread regarding Perth letting Beal go in favour of Johnson. We are one game into the regular season, with so many new pieces in every team it is going to take time, some will gel quicker than others but I don't think players should be assessed until they have played half a dozen games.

Reply #600986 | Report this post

FM  
Years ago

EJ trouble in pre-season was his foul count. Really struggled with the phantom calls and he is definitely an all in player. If he gets a crap bullshit flop decision like tonight, he will lose his head. Two offences in a row Hawks ran a crash the defender out let pass. Instead of non whistle officiating the offensive advantage gained on the third time it happens you call a flop. I was lost on that decision.

EJ provides a level of passion that creek has during the game. The player who doesn't fit the current system is Sobey. Doyle plays with a level head, Teys is a great team man and defender. Sobey plays out of control.

Reply #600988 | Report this post

MACDUB  
Years ago

Drmic needs to play more and Teys, Sobey less.

I can imagine Drmic is frustrated. His career stats at college were better than Harris (think they played same conference) and Harris is an import playing big minutes. Not saying stats are everything..i know they are not.

But he played the less minutes of everyone in tne team and it was a blowout loss. He will probably get even less in bigger and closer games which is a shame..he could be huge to this team.

Reply #600989 | Report this post

Very Old  
Years ago

rarely do new pros do well first few games in the NBL. Sometimes it takes the second season for them to hit their straps. particuarly non-explosive non-athletes in the 3-4 spot. Give the bloke a few real games to settle in.

i'm more concerned that joey as a 'players coach" seems to have had his best success with relatively stacked teams with mature players.

I'm open to suggestions or examples where he has brought on young or tryo professionals ?

Sobey, Teys , creek all seem to have been very slow to develop under him.

Happy to be proven wrong.

Reply #600990 | Report this post

KET  
Years ago

agreed Jacobsen and Randle for Ebi should fix it

^

plus that age increase will push us higher than a college side

Reply #600993 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

FM and Macdub, I understand your point, but similar to Drmic, Sobey played in a great team and did very well in college too. He has so much upside and has developed and looked to have a little more control last night. I saw him missed three layups, most games he would make, and he distributed easily through the full court pressure that others struggled with. This isssue doesn't start or finish with Sobey guys, being real about it, they needed Drmic to be a lot better and he isn't ready. Teys, is at his peak and we all know what we will get from him.

Reply #600994 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Joey has had success with stacked teams because there is no coaching involved!! This sort of roster will show him for what he is.

Reply #601000 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Rabdle was always going to struggle in year2. Certainly over rated in year 1 as well which is now the problem.

Reply #601004 | Report this post

KET  
Years ago

Randle averaged 23ppg last season...over rated last season? No.

Reply #601007 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Last season says it all.

Reply #601011 | Report this post

KET  
Years ago

It says nothing except that #601004's claim is ridiculous

Reply #601013 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Firstly, lets not throw the baby out with the bath water, its one game.

Secondly Jacobsen's cheap, not gonna be a star, so its not his fault he is bought in to complement the team not carry it, give him time, im confident he will be ok, considering what he would be on,

To me the biggest problem so far is Randle & DJ, between them they would take up half of our salary cap/roster spend, so need to carry the load if we are going to be a good team, both were poor in this 1 game. Randle and DJ between them need to score around 40-50 points, 10 rebounds, 6 assists, and play some semblance of defense, if they cant do that between them, they are not worth the investment and the sixers are not going to be very good, thats where id be pointing, if we need to blame someone.

But again its 1 game, lets be a little bit patient people, particularly with a young and cheap import like Jacobesen.

Reply #601017 | Report this post

Zodiac  
Years ago

There might be some validity to questioning the re-signing of Randle. I personally was all for it but if you look at how much he's bounced around in his short career you might ask why he's never able to stick somewhere.

July 2010: Signed with a team in Turkey

January 2011: Signed with another team in Turkey

August 2011: Signed with a team in Israel

December 2011: Signed with the Dallas Mavericks, waived after 8 days

December 2011: Played one game with Mavs D-League affiliate Texas legends

December 2011: Acquired by another D-League team Maine Red Claws

Feb 2012: Signed with a team in the Ukraine

Sep 2012: Signed with a team in China, never played a game with them.

Dec 2012: Signed with a team in Belgium

Oct 2013: Signed with his original team in Turkey

Jan 2014: Signed with another team in Turkey

Aug 2014: Re-signed with this team

Oct 2014: Released by the team

Nov 2014: Signed with another team in Turkey

Oct 2015: Signed with the 36ers

Feb 2016: Signed with a team in Lithuania

March 2016: Re-signed with the 36ers

Also in 2015 Randle joined the Ukranian national team.

Reply #601021 | Report this post

lukn4atitle  
Years ago

A sign of the times!

Reply #601035 | Report this post

KET  
Years ago

Europe is incredibly volatile, this isn't uncommon

Reply #601036 | Report this post

Pop  
Years ago

This is a really interesting thread for what isn't there, which is Johnson's four points and four boards in 24 minutes.

I think the imports and coach are the least of the problems.

Reply #601037 | Report this post

KET  
Years ago

Randle has consistently through pre-season and this first game scored about 10pts less than we need him to, DJ has been below par for over a year now, and we've got a team with the average age of 24-25 who are about to be slaughtered everytime we play an away match.

Yeah, I think we've got problems. But this doesn't come as a great surprise, we've seen other teams stack their lineups while Adelaide...hasn't.

It would be frustrating if not for the facts that:

(a) Randle is one of the best imports we've had in a while and we managed to actually keep him, plus i'd still back him to star for us at home

(b) DJ is effectively our own development that has turned out reasonably well throughout the years

(c) Adelaide doesn't have the $$$ to compete for expensive signatures that could bring us a playoffs squad, so they've decided to go for young stars instead of average/below-average seasoned players that would provide no silver lining.

Reply #601041 | Report this post

Wwizard  
Years ago

Considering last year most jumped on the wagon to shame Ebi Ere last year on weight issues, form and god only knows what else.....how bout we all go for a rollercoaster ride? Ups n downs n worry about what the game brings, rather than be SUPERCOACH

Reply #601079 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

(d) Adelaide are broke and are wasting their money on Randle.

He may be OK but clearly will be getting far more than he deserves.

Reply #601093 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Wizard, ebi was absolutely shit. Everything he copped was more than warranted. Joey is wearing thin on anyone who cares anymore to even comment on the state of the 36ers. Odd roster.

Reply #601094 | Report this post

Beantown  
Years ago

Yeah lets not jump the gun. Jacobsen had a poor game, but he has done some good things in the pre-season against NBL opponents. Give him a few more games yet.

Lets not forget that it was basically a bad stretch in the third quarter that cost us the game. We didn't lose because of Jacobsen, we lost because our two highest paid players - Randle and DJ - didn't take charge and steady the ship.

It doesn't matter which team you are, when your best and most experienced two players stink it up, you're going to lose by a lot.

Lets hope DJ and Randle learn from this and get back on track against Melbourne.

Reply #601138 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Yes that will happen. Never

Reply #601150 | Report this post

Crusty Juggler  
Years ago

Lets just get a few things clear.

1. Randle has bounced around because he and his wife love to travel as he has said many times, He said no place has felt like home until he came to Adelaide.

2. You look stupid saying Randle didn't produce. He shot 6/7 from the field and was double teamed every time he touched the ball.

3. Watch the game, no one set screens for him, DJ was useless again and it is becoming a common theme with him. the team played selfish basketball rather than team basketball.

4. Joey is the worst defensive coach in the league. You can always guarantee his teams will score somehow but, giving up 122 points shows how little he cares about defense.

5. Do not blame Jacobsen for being misused by Joey. Jacobsen is no "throw in". He was invited to the Cavs summer league team, that is no small feat. There are thousands of players who did not get anywhere near a summer camp invitation. He has talent and can score on the low block and use his body defensively.

6. The game was over from the get go when Joey with his masterful "play faves" gameplan decided it was a good idea to bench Ferguson and start Teys because Teys is his lovechild... What winning coach benches a weapon like Ferguson? Too much game time for Doyle and Sobey, should be in suits against United.

7. Lets be honest, one more shocker from DJ and he should come off the Bench. Majok Deng showed more skill and drive than DJ in the limited time he played. Start Majok and Jacobsen and stretch the floor... Deng is a shotblocker and can shoot the 3 ball, not at all slow like DJ. He will be a star for the Sixers in years to come IF he is not picked up before his contract expires.

8. Instead of playing full court press basketball, set your feet and play zone. You are not going to be successful against a team like Illawarra trying to pressure the ball out of their hands on the backcourt only for them to then dish the ball up court to a wide open shooter that can either shoot or draw the big out of the paint and dish the ball inside for a quick bucket.

Personally, if I was Adelaide I would not bother re-signing Randle. Demands too much cash for one player. Especially when very soon Ingles will be looking at returning home. Same goes for DJ after his contract runs out. Fair enough if you can get him to take a paycut, but knowing how he sees himself, he will want even more cash.

Reply #601201 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Jacobson looks good tonight.

Reply #601261 | Report this post

Crusty Juggler  
Years ago

After today - the answer is an overwhelming yes.

Reply #601270 | Report this post

Nothin' wrong with Jacobsen. Works harder than DJ and has a big strong body to hold his own on D in the paint. Once he settles in to the season he'll be getting close to double doubles.

I just hope DJ stops sooking half the time and plays 100% aggressive like in the first half against United. So frustrating that he can come out one quarter and be dominant and then 10 minutes later he's scared to go in to the key and just settles for lame fade-aways and 3 balls.

Reply #601377 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 8:38 am, Fri 19 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754