Crusty Juggler
Years ago

Murder at Hisense: United too old, Sixers too good

Sooooo, after the first two rounds, I wanna see what people think of the "'Chip faves" United. Looks like they are way too old and slow to keep up. Anderson looking his age, Goulding showing he's probably the most hot and cold player in the league.

I think the ladder will look more like this after the regular season.

1. Illawarra (championship faves and deserve to be)
2. Brisbane
3. Perth
4. 36ers
5. Kings
6. United
7. Breakers
8. Cairns

Topic #40036 | Report this topic

KET  
Years ago

Too early to cut down United.

Round 1 has told us:

#1 If you're a punter who likes an underdog, you probably made a fair bit of $$$ this round

#2 There's no clarity between championship contenders and the bombshelter, potentially not until the very end

#2 Illawarra's pre-season/first round and Lemanis' coaching, Kings & United star studded chemistry troubles and Perth/NZ consistency gives us 6 almost inseparable teams - with Cairns and 36ers having the potential to shake up a complacent side

Reply #601275 | Report this post

Jack Toft  
Years ago

Love the name "Crusty Juggler" Obviously a fan or cornettos

Reply #601276 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

It's. One. Round.

Reply #601278 | Report this post

ME (he/kangaroo)  
Years ago

Well we were all calling Adelaide out until today. What can you really take from the first two games? Nothing. It's going to be an incredibly close season.

Reply #601280 | Report this post

LV  
Years ago

Illawarra are going to be very tough to beat. Just so balanced. The pieces fit. They will all buy into the system. Very glad I had a sneaky bet on them for the title and of course for making playoffs.

Cairns are a tough outfit. Will be very good defensively.

It looks like it'll again be very close, like last season when minor premiers UTD went 18-10.

Reply #601282 | Report this post

joshuapending  
Years ago

Really I think most of us would have taken a 1-1 split over the games. We will probably look really good or really bad in games this year.

Reply #601284 | Report this post

MidRange  
Years ago

Melbourne were 8-37 from the 3pt line. When will they learn.

Reply #601288 | Report this post

Benno  
Years ago

Live and die behind the 3pt line :(

Reply #601289 | Report this post

Ricky Diculous  
Years ago

I was very impressed with the methodical way in which the bullets ground out 2 wins. They've recruited to suit a style and it went really well this week.
Add Bairstow and I think they'll be a top 4 team.

Wollongong looked impressive. Their 2 game next week V Sydney and at Melbourne will be the games of the round.

Perth are still Perth at home, though they were a late 3 away from an 0-2 start. (This place would have gone into meltdown mode). I can't help but think this year might be the year they miss the playoffs.

Other questions..

* Why didn't Deng play today?
* Why was Goulding carrying on like he'd gone 6/6 after hitting that early 3? Running back down the court shaking his head like he couldn't believe what a hot hand he had.
* Who takes player of the week?

Reply #601301 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I'd take Randle or Jaron Johnson for POTW based on the performances in their second game, however their first games were not pretty at all. Did they do enough in their second game to make up for their lackluster first game?Should make it interesting to see who gets it.

Reply #601303 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

You shouldn't ever win POTW after playing well I one game of a 2 game weekend.

Reply #601308 | Report this post

Ricky Diculous  
Years ago

Craig has 16 pts - 7 boards v Perth and 9 pts - 17 boards v Sydney.

If JJ or Randle's first games work against them he'd have to be next in line

Reply #601310 | Report this post

Old Mate  
Years ago

POTW Maaaarvelllous Harris

Reply #601315 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

The United are done, Demopoluos is trying too play everyone and it doesn't work. They have too many guys that need to play and theres no role players.

Cedric & Goulding can't co exist.

You can't play nate & Cedric together.

Moore is better than Blanchfield why is he coming off the bench?

Your 2 best rebounders played a combined 18 mins, wasn't this the problem last year?

Why is he trying to play 11 players in 40 mins?

Adnan & Milner Really?

Next weekend will be tough (Adelaide road, Illawarra home) can't go 0-4 or its by Demopoluos.

Reply #601317 | Report this post

ROFLcopter  
Years ago

United were awful today.

Reply #601337 | Report this post

Splinky  
Years ago

Watching the timeout vision today has me wondering how DD managed to get a second year at Melbourne. He guy has NFI about the rules, how to structure a play, or how to build confidence with his guys. The new recruits must be wondering why they didn't do their due diligence: now they have to be coached by a bozo.

Reply #601348 | Report this post

Freethrows  
Years ago

Can anyone explain why Majok played only 5 minutes? Why Williams played only 10?
Why did Ferguson play only 5 minutes?
Were injuries involved? Ferguson is supposed to be a lottery pick in the NBA next year, isn't he?

Reply #601349 | Report this post

Mystro  
Years ago

Still writing off a NZ team with Webster, Penney, Abercrombie, Vukona and a couple of decent imports not to mention Tall Blacks Pledger & Loe lol.

Reply #601352 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I think the Breaker's advantage against Adelaide was United's weakness, they couldn't get a leash on Ant Man, but the Breakers can defend someone like him.

Thinking caps on at Melbourne, yet again!

Reply #601357 | Report this post

Pop  
Years ago

For all his abilities, and the hype, Ferguson is very obviously a boy amongst men at the moment. However, he has good basics at both ends, including good defensive footwork, which he will hopefully teach some of his team mates, and huge 'up side', which seems to be the phrase of the moment.

So, let's give him some time and dare to dream what he could be like as a rapidly maturing 19 year old with a season's pro experience come the post season!

And as a bonus we could hope that he might be able to show DJ that dropping the ball and throwing his arms in the air on his way to the basket is neither effective [no foul call, lost possession] nor a good look.

One can always dream.

Reply #601379 | Report this post

LC  
Years ago

Age has nothing to do with why Adelaide won and Melbourne lost.

Melb Utd does not have any structure that enables them to best utilise their talent.

Utd will wins a fair share of games given the talent that they have, but if there is no structure that has them playing to their collective strengths, then they cannot win the title.

Reply #601380 | Report this post

Duke Fan  
Years ago

"* Why was Goulding carrying on like he'd gone 6/6 after hitting that early 3? Running back down the court shaking his head like he couldn't believe what a hot hand he had."

Because he's a knob

Reply #601396 | Report this post

KET  
Years ago

^ hahaha

Reply #601397 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Demo gone?

Reply #601422 | Report this post

ROFLcopter  
Years ago

Yeah, that shit from Goulding at the start was horrid.

Has he been drinking his own bath water? The team needs a reality check...and fast.

Reply #601662 | Report this post

Zodiac  
Years ago

Boti on DD and Melbourne (Not so) United.

JOSH Powell arrives for Sydney this week as question-marks float all around the future of Melbourne United coach Dean Demopoulos.

Last year DD swept through the preseason, collecting a Loggins-Bruton Cup along the route, then led Melbourne out of the NBL's regular season blocks with a 9-0 start.

Come the playoffs though and Demopoulos had no clue how to curtail NZ Breakers champion guard Cedric Jackson or power forward Tai Wesley as they led New Zealand to a four-game streak over Melbourne. The Breakers brushed United aside in the last two games of the regular season, then swept them 2-0 in the semi finals.

The solution? Melbourne signed Jackson and Wesley as free agents so a) not only would that improve United but b) it would weaken New Zealand.

Guess what? Despite signing that championship-winning duo AND Dave Andersen, Ramon Moore, Devin Williams, the Breakers STILL had the answers to open the season.

And then into Hisense Arena roll the 36ers, down after copping a 34-point welt from Illawarra ... only to record an 87-79 win over United.

Seriously now, can Captain Catch-Phrase coach?

Two seasons back when Chris Anstey lost his home-opener as United coach, he "resigned". And Anstey didn't have this level of talent or resources.

Demopoulos’ team already appeared completely disengaged during a number of his timeouts and following his gameplan is like running blindfolded through a maze.

All due respect to popular young guys Kyle Adnam and Tohi Smith-Milner but what the hell are they doing on the floor when the game is slipping from United’s grasp?

It seems like another case of “I know more than you hicks” nod-wink coaching, when just doing the obvious would be worth far more.

You know, like running an offence where Chris Goulding knows where his shots are coming from, opening with another sweet shooter on the other wing such as Ramone Moore, getting the ball to Dave Andersen on the block, running pick-and-rolls with Cedric, maybe starting Tai.

But instead, DD continues with Todd Blanchfield and Majok Majok as starters and has stars across the board unsure where they fit or what their role should be - those two included.

You only have to endure one of those “Awiight?” timeouts to know he is flailing, another American here to teach us the game we seem to understand far better than he does.

If I was United, I’d be tracking down the NBL’s 2016 Coach of the Year, Shawn Dennis. Last time I looked, Townsville Crocodiles didn’t have a team anymore so you know he’s available. And imagine what he could do with a team this deep and richly talented instead of operating on the smell of an oily rag?

http://www.botinagy.com/blog/nbl-rd1-wrap/

Reply #601664 | Report this post

ROFLcopter  
Years ago

Boti is bang on.
Sign Dennis instantly!!

Reply #601669 | Report this post

Luuuc  
Years ago

DD's a flog!

Reply #601670 | Report this post

FM  
Years ago

Remember that NZ team that beat them. You have two players, the coach is available too

Reply #601674 | Report this post

Dazz  
Years ago

I think the ladder will look more like this after the regular season.

1. Illawarra (championship faves and deserve to be)
Is this thread meant to be a joke?
Firstly, if the Gong finish first or win the 'ship, I'm likely to eat my shorts.

But either way, it's way, WAY, too early to start making assessments.
That would be true in any year, but especially so this time around with so many new faces in the NBL, and so many teams still bedding down.

As but one example, from this point I can see Perth being anywhere from struggling to make the finals, to being magnificent with 3 all-stars.

Wait and see, enjoy the season.

Reply #601685 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I reckon whoever wrote that comment about Melbourne didn't watch their games or missed the point completely. They basically want DD just to play all his best scorers together as much as possible like that's a recipe for success.

You need guys like Blanchfield, Williams and Majok who don't need the ball. They were +7 in Blanchfield's 47 minutes and -20 when he was on the bench. He was their best +- guy for the round.

Reply #601686 | Report this post

LV  
Years ago

Damn right. You need the physical guys who just play a role. Majok Majok is a rebounding machine and he doesn't need many touches on offense. Devin Williams is a beast who also attacks the glass with fervour. Put them on the court!

Reply #601688 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

And Dazz,why would it be a joke to say Illawarra can go all the way?

- Based purely on the ABC tournament and round 1, they've been the most impressive team to date.

- They have arguably the deepest roster in the league, in terms of having multiple players who can cover each position, and having experienced players down in the 9th to 11th spots on their roster.

- They have arguably the best coach in the league. At least, very few of us would put him outside the top 3.

Those reasons mean there's a serious possibility you'll be eating your shorts at season's end.

Reply #601690 | Report this post

LV  
Years ago

^ me

Reply #601691 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

"It seems like another case of "I know more than you hicks" nod-wink coaching, when just doing the obvious would be worth far more."

Replacing "coaching" with "journalism" and you can adequately describe Boti's writing style.

Reply #601693 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 3:44 pm, Thu 25 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754