NBL.TV Setups - Best Results?

I know there are a bunch of teething problems with NBL.TV so far, but hopefully most of these will get ironed out as we go along. I was wondering though, how are people viewing NBL.TV?

I have the app on my phone, mostly for score updates and such but I wouldn't watch a live game on it I don't think.

I prefer to watch live games on my TV. For the first game i just brought up the website on an old Media Centre PC i have, but it's a bit old and clunky and requires a bit of fussing to launch stream and make it full screen etc.

Does anyone have a more seamless approach that they enjoy? Whilst not opposed to screen casting from a mobile device, I'd probably prefer to take advantage of my wired home network for maximum throughput if possible.

Topic #40039 | Report this topic

RG  
Years ago

I have a wireless Ethernet extender connecting my NBN router to the TV. I use Microsoft Edge to "cast" the NBL.tv stream to the TV. The picture quality is excellent.

Last year, I used the NBL App on my Android phone and connected to the TV using an MHL cable. Picture quality was ok but not good. I haven't tried it this year.

Reply #601392 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

The best result I have had is using the PS4 web browser.

Using an the NBL TV app through iPad to Apple TV to TV works for a clear image, but the screen isn't "Full screen". I don't know why.

Quality is fine on apple mobile devices (phones, ipads).

Using Firefox to watch is not very good. image quality is sharp and clear, however the stream is jittery and jerky.

I've heard others have better luck with Chrome.

SBS is great on Sundays.

I don't have foxtel.

Reply #601393 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Cast my PC's Chrome tab to Chromecast.
Full screen, good quality.

Reply #601394 | Report this post

Charon 19  
Years ago

Couldn't get PS4 to work. Logged in fine but only got a blank screen after hitting the play game button (with ethernet)

Didn't have any buffer issues watching in the highest quality full screen computer (with WIFI)

Only a few small buffers/lags on iPhone > Apple TV when wanting to see it on TV screen (with WIFI).

Quality reminds me of NBA TV a couple of years back. Hearing the commentators / producers talking during what would be an Ad bread on FOX. Occasional buffering, slow to get highlights up.

But for $5 month it's really good value.

Reply #601400 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

^after click X again on the blank screen and it'll begin to play! (PS4)

Reply #601410 | Report this post

Ushiro  
Years ago

I have a 32" Sony Bravia TV as the second monitor on my PC, connected via a HDMI cable from the second port of my NVIDIA card. The PC is running Windows 10 and Microsoft Edge with a 24" wide screen monitor as the main screen.

I open the browser up on my PC screen and then transfer to the Sony as it comes up with "unrecognised device" if I try to start the feed on the Sony.

The quality is very good and goes full screen without a problem. I have an ADSL2 connecting running with a download speed of 500-600k.

On Sunday's 36er game only had a few seconds here and there that went a bit blurry but was perfectly clear about 99% of the time.

I registered for the Telstra customer free all access so am very happy. Already watched all or part of a few of the classic games.

Reply #601436 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Sundays game is on SBS HD

Reply #601443 | Report this post

Joshuapending  
Years ago

Got ps4 working but how do you adjust quality or does it alter based on your net speed?

Reply #601475 | Report this post

KET  
Years ago

http://www.nbl.com.au/nbl-tv-faqs/

Can NBL TV be linked with Apple TV?

Yes, the NBL app does enable screen maximization, so can be paired with Apple TV through AirPlay. Furthermore, there is an NBL TV application for Apple TV to be launched in the near future.

No mention of Telstra TV...are they bailing on that?

How many devices can be linked to one NBL TV subscription?

An unlimited number of devices can be linked to a single NBL TV subscription.

Can I share my NBL TV account with friends?

Yes, a user can log into their NBL TV account on various devices simultaneously.

If the extremely cheap All Access Pass or free NBL TV for Telstra customers and for everyone wanting to watch their selected club didn't already make it obvious, then this does lol....The NBL want as many people watching the games as possible, even if they're not paying a cent.

I think this is a very smart move by the NBL, especially if they can pull off alternate means of revenue (such as through NBL TV sponsors)

Reply #601476 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Using my desktop the picture quality cycles from clear to blurry.

Does this happen to anyone else?

Reply #601480 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Yep.

Reply #601484 | Report this post

Wookiee  
Years ago

I've watched on the desktop with great quality and no lagging, however the technology they've got makes navigating to earlier in the airing very clunky... (again, such a poorer version of what is used on youTube)

Also watched on iPad, walking around the house doing different stuff and it was great... I initially had that problem with the screen not going fullscreen on the tv, but I think that's because I was mirroring from my iPad. When I did it without mirroring, it went fullscreen no problems... weird, but not surprising something minor and stupid would happen...

Reply #601488 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

It's funny coz the blurry picture thing even happens when watching replays, it's not just a live stream problem.

Reply #601526 | Report this post

LV  
Years ago

I have an iPad mini but not Apple TV.

Is there a cheap and easy option for me to mirror the iPad to my Smart TV?

I actually dont mind watching on the iPad mini. But if I can get it onto the TV, I will. Tried laptop and HDMI cable but it was a little bit jittery sometimes- maybe poor quality cable, or just poor laptop performance.

Reply #601534 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

LV - when mirroring my ipad air 2 to apple TV I don't get full screen on my tv.

So i would hold off on buying an AppleTV if that's something you were thinking of doing.

Reply #601539 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Iphone through airplay gives you a full screen on the TV

I have the same problem as others with my Ipad

Reply #601542 | Report this post

I've been contemplating an upgrade to my media box anyway so I'm going to try an android media centre running the NBL.TV app in the next week or so. If the app isn't too flash on that form factor I can just run the web version off the same box. Hopefully i'll get a decent result.

Reply #601622 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 8:58 pm, Thu 25 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754