Luuuc
Years ago

NBL best single round attendance in 20 seasons

NBL enjoys best single-round crowd figures for more than 20 seasons
http://www.foxsports.com.au/basketball/nbl-enjoys-best-singleround-crowd-figures-for-more-than-20-seasons/news-story/b24d048e131a887fe3552c97d3e06464

"Six games in the opening week attracted 44,760 fans, the single biggest turnout in a round for more than 20 years."

Topic #40071 | Report this topic

leungtl  
Years ago

Perth data skews the figures, but if you take them out then a league average of 6,411 is still very healthy!

Reply #601771 | Report this post

koberulz  
Years ago

Pretty sure Perth has been in the league the past few seasons as well.

Reply #601772 | Report this post

leungtl  
Years ago

Lol I should know that, I've been at most of the games! Just for the statistically minded who enjoy looking at data without outliers :)

Reply #601774 | Report this post

koberulz  
Years ago

And 20 years ago there were three Melbourne teams all playing at Rod Laver.

Reply #601775 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

The big city model may be bearing fruit. But the league must be concerned that Melbourne and Sydney continue to underperform. It'll be hard to get good TV ratings without the big clubs involved in marquee games to generate hype. It would nearly be good for the game for Melbourne and Sydney to face off in this year's grand final. Should they get salary cap concessions to help them succeed much like gws in the AFL?

Reply #601815 | Report this post

Double Clutch  
Years ago

Slightly off topic, but watching some of these classic games it's interesting to see crowds in the smaller venues during the boom times.

Geelong, Gold Coast and Hobart despite having small stadiums struggled to fill them. Gold Coast was especially bad, rows and rows of green empty seats in a stadium that despite it's inadequacies seemed to be a good place to watch basketball. And by 96 the Giants only one year removed from a grand final series couldn't pull 4,000 people a game. I know that crowds started to dip after 94 but it was interesting to see just how much these teams struggled. The Hawks were packing out a small venue which was good for them, surviving until a decent mid size venue was built.

What cities were booming? Perth, Adelaide, Sydney, Brisbane, Townsville and the Tigers/Magic. Other than Townsville these franchises/cities are still with us. It seems the less than ten teams in big cities model is inevitable when you go back and look at how much some of those teams were struggling even then.

Reply #601829 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Strange that Hobart averaged about 3-4K every week. Yet SNAHC (capacity 3.5K) couldn't get those numbers when the Tigers played there.

Reply #601889 | Report this post

Bear  
Years ago

I rather think we have the depth of talent coming through to well and truly support eight teams in the NBL these days.

The questions will always remain, do we have the money to sustain some form of expansion and where does the league see this suited best in the future?

On topic, great crowd figures, healthy early signs...

Reply #601893 | Report this post

LV  
Years ago

The Giants played out of the Glasshouse, capacity 6,000. The Magic and Tigers played out of Rod Laver.

Reply #601896 | Report this post

LV  
Years ago

Actually glass house held 7,200 according to wiki. Not my recollection but yeah, def nothing like Rod Laver.

Even in the best days of the 90's though, I don't think the Tigers or Magic were filling RLA, except for perhaps the odd Derby or grand final

Reply #601897 | Report this post

Double Clutch  
Years ago

Hey LV, other than derbys no they weren't filling it up. I have an old one on one magazine which I was quoting the less than 4,000 figure for the Giants from. Tigers and Magic seemed to do alright though, the whole lower bowel filled for some games looking at video, which I'm guessing would make about 7,000 people a game at least? The problem there was too many teams in one city and two teams playing games at a venue far too large which I'm guessing cost a high sum to rent. Then each subsequent merger killed some of the fanbase.

Re Anon, the Hobart v Tigers at the Cage comparison are different eras so not like to like. The Tigers were at the Cage in the mid 2000s, probably the worst era for attendances since the league went professional. The Victoria Giants and Razorbacks were bottoming out at crowds lower than 1,000 people back then. The Wildcats struggling, same with Adelaide, Sydney etc. I think the only team healthy then was Townsville.

Reply #601903 | Report this post

Double Clutch  
Years ago

While on the subject, a good game to check on NBL classics from the mid 2000s in 2004 Giants v Breakers.

Wow is all I can say. Looks like a totally different league in terms of crowd figures now.

Reply #601927 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

No crocs poor numbers now converted to Brisvegas lifts the numbers big time.. Need to remove Bris and Crocs no's last season and work on the remaining average to compare. Type of crowd has changed somewhat. More for the entertainment value and a booze up.

Reply #602131 | Report this post

Jimmy Needles  
Years ago

Bullets have sold out the Convention Centre for their next fixture. It's a small stadium and not the best for basketball (but much better located than the existing entertainment centre), so hopefully the proposed inner city entertainment centre at Roma Street is on horizon.

Reply #602135 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 5:54 pm, Thu 18 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754