Dazz
Years ago

Melbourne Utd vs Perth Wildcats 23/10 3:00pm AEDT

A big test for Perth to backup, cross the country, and take on one of the early front-runners.
I'm not expecting Miracles...

Just hope the Cats don't get too tired and sloppy. If they can keep it together, it should be a close game.
I feel that Andersen and Majok have the edge in size and strength, but Majok's not much of an offensive threat. Key for both teams will be their "3rd big" Wagstaff and Wesley. They have a lot of experience against each other, and both have been in reasonable touch with the odd quiet game.Overall I think MU just have too many offensive options.

Topic #40122 | Report this topic

LV  
Years ago

Even without Goulding and Barlow, United have plenty of firepower. But this is a huge test, as the Cats defence is solid all over the floor. Young McKay is proving a real rim protector.

United needs Blanchfield to keep Prather in check and below 25 points and stop him from dominating, and they need Majok to play the same strong post D he did vs Jarvis and Bairstow on Thursday.

United by 9.

Reply #603508 | Report this post

LV  
Years ago

Jervis*

Reply #603509 | Report this post

Hendo8888  
Years ago

Without Goulding?

Reply #603511 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

"Melbourne will go into Sunday's clash with Perth Wildcats without star guard Chris Goulding, who is recovering from an ankle injury,..."

Reply #603515 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Perth by 5

Reply #603526 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Anyone getting a little moist in anticipation of this game?

Reply #603531 | Report this post

Train  
Years ago

Should be a ripper of a game. Looking forward to the Martin Vs Jackson matchup on its own.

Reply #603533 | Report this post

Dazz  
Years ago

Assuming Knight isn't out with another concussion, Goulding missing could make all the difference.
But yeah, they still have plenty of options.

Match-ups will be interesting.
Lets say MU start with Andersen and Majok, do Perth stick with McKay and try to use his athleticism,
or should they bring out Brandt for extra height,
or even Wagstaff for a bit of extra muscle???
On the flipside, how do MU try to counter McKay? Majok is bigger and stronger, but is he quick enough?

Reply #603539 | Report this post

Train  
Years ago

McKay is quite mobile and long so should match up ok with Andersen although Andersen's range may draw McKay out of the middle. Knight should have the strength and experience to have the wood on Majok. Prather vs Blanchfield should be fun to watch also.

Reply #603541 | Report this post

Bol Bol  
Years ago

The Wildcats offense stinks at the moment. They'll get rolled by MU even without Goulding

Reply #603544 | Report this post

LV  
Years ago

Not many seats available- there will be a massive crowd on hand.

Reply #603547 | Report this post

Dazz  
Years ago

Good to see NBL games drawing big crowds.

Reply #603548 | Report this post

Dazz  
Years ago

McKay is quite mobile and long so should match up ok with Andersen although Andersen's range may draw McKay out of the middle. Knight should have the strength and experience to have the wood on Majok.
It will be interesting.
If I were MU (and wtf do I know) that's how I'd go defensively.
But with the Cats on D I'd imagine Knight (or Brandt when on) will go to Andersen. He'd be just too big & strong for McKay.
They're both I suppose 4/5's but Knight is bigger and stronger, whereas McKays strength is his speed and leap. He's also got clean hands, some of his blocks have been very impressive. He reminds me somewhat of the old days when Crawford played Centre. He was no bigger than Vlahov or Fisher, but again his leap was impressive.
McKay also seems to love knocking free-throws off the rim, which I like seeing.

Reply #603549 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

Andersen isn't really known as big and strong, more a high IQ, high skill player. I'd put Knight on him, Matty is an incredibly smart defender, and let McKay and Majok fight the energy war.

Reply #603558 | Report this post

LV  
Years ago

Yes that's how it will go. Will reminiscent of last year when Majok and Charles Jackson battled it out.

Reply #603561 | Report this post

LV  
Years ago

And interestingly, Devin Williams and Jameel Mckay played in the same college conference and were both big time players in that league over the past couple of years, so they should know each other well. Hoping Devin gets an opportunity and can show us something since his minutes have been minimal.

Reply #603562 | Report this post

Green 53  
Years ago

What's the bet on how many times Dwayne Russell still manages to mention Goulding?

Reply #603593 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

MU should just take it at Prather every possession. Get him in foul trouble and these wildcats will struggle to even score 60

Reply #603594 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Hows that cats offense looking today dazz?

Reply #603595 | Report this post

Tempo  
Years ago

9 Free throws to ZERO in the 1st qtr

LOLOL..
So it looks like the refs put good cash on United today

Reply #603597 | Report this post

LV  
Years ago

Great subbing DD, take Moore off after he scores 3 times in a row. Comes back on hes gone cold

Reply #603598 | Report this post

Tempo  
Years ago

Is Dwayne Russell a professional commentator or is he a just a Melbourne United Cheer leader?

Reply #603599 | Report this post

Hendo8888  
Years ago

Some solid minutes by Adnam there.

Reply #603600 | Report this post

Red74  
Years ago

Ingram's defence is much worse than jj was

Reply #603601 | Report this post

Hendo8888  
Years ago

DD's an idiot. He's already been pulled up on that earlier in the season.

Reply #603602 | Report this post

Luuuc  
Years ago

This one seems to be going pretty much to script so far. Melbourne are doing a pretty good job of restricting us.
Those threes from DKD & Redhage were important.

Reply #603603 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Any chance of this one getting called fairly? surely cats should have had more freethrows... Really enjoyed all the discussion about Goulding, luckily the commentators don't control the camera or we would just be watching Goulding instead of the game. I

Reply #603604 | Report this post

Manu Feildel  
Years ago

Goulding's impact on the success of United is ridiculously overstated

Reply #603605 | Report this post

Luuuc  
Years ago

Oh boo hoo. Maybe if we actually penetrate we'll earn some calls.
Fair officiating does not require fouls to be equal.

Reply #603606 | Report this post

Hendo8888  
Years ago

Williams is trash.

Reply #603607 | Report this post

Hendo8888  
Years ago

That's what happens when you put only 1 scorer on the floor for like 5 mins. Wesley bricks 4 3s in a row.

Reply #603608 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Agree with luuuc. The refs have had minimal impact on the game, let alone called it unfairly for either team.

Reply #603609 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

JessThree Wagstaff

Reply #603610 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

MVPRATHER

Reply #603611 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Damian Martin if you don't mind

Reply #603612 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Damian Martin if you don't mind

Reply #603613 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Cats were paying $2.40.

Reply #603614 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

LOl blocked by Redhage how embarassing

Reply #603615 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Ingram YALL

Reply #603616 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Lol Damo got burnt by Tomlinson

Reply #603617 | Report this post

Hendo8888  
Years ago

Flophage.

Reply #603618 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

WHAT A MOVE

Reply #603619 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Lol it came straight back to the spot he shot it from

Reply #603620 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Cedric still sux from the FT line

Reply #603621 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

what are you doing Catters

Reply #603622 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Cedric you tool hahahahahahaha

Reply #603623 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Suck shit LV

Reply #603624 | Report this post

Luuuc  
Years ago

Yikes. Nearly threw that one away.

Tough road win. Super effort, Cats.

Reply #603625 | Report this post

Hendo8888  
Years ago

Is Kenny injured? Started, played the first 3:44, then didn't play again.

Reply #603626 | Report this post

Red74  
Years ago

Hurt his groin

Reply #603627 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Do the wildcats social media people watch the games on league pass instead of TV? It's funny/sad how their tweets are always like 3 minutes after the fact.

Reply #603628 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Jeez there are idiots here. Why would the refs back the short priced favourites. Easy money on Perth.
Oh and Manu see how much United missed Goulding. Get it

Reply #603629 | Report this post

Zodiac  
Years ago

The last player on their roster that should be attempting a 3 at the buzzer to put the game into OT is Cedric Jackson. Other than maybe Majok although I'd probably prefer him taking it over Cedric who needs to realise one of these days he can't shoot.

Pretty good effort by MU really missing their best player against the defending champs.

Reply #603630 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

'The last player on their roster that should be attempting a 3 at the buzzer to put the game into OT is Cedric Jackson. Other than maybe Majok although I'd probably prefer him taking it over Cedric who needs to realise one of these days he can't shoot'

Lol totally agree

Reply #603631 | Report this post

Nix36  
Years ago

The commentators seem so disappointed that Melbourne did not win.

Reply #603632 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Ingram speaks well

Reply #603633 | Report this post

Hendo8888  
Years ago

They do know that he missed that corner 3, right? He only scored 8 points.

Reply #603635 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

No, no they don't

Reply #603636 | Report this post

snooch  
Years ago

United needs to put a call into Shawn Dennis

Reply #603640 | Report this post

Train  
Years ago

Big win for Perth. Is it me or was Moore totally under utilised by United in the second half. He was looking good in the first half. I like the fact that Perth are closing out close games even with their offence stinking it up.

Reply #603643 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Just a lazy 13 boards for D.Martin today. More than Majok + Andersen combined

Reply #603648 | Report this post

Benno  
Years ago

Surely Devin Williams is gone.

Reply #603649 | Report this post

Benno  
Years ago

Surely Devin Williams is gone.

Reply #603650 | Report this post

Duke Fan  
Years ago

WTF is Demopolous smoking? Odigie/Adnam/Tomlinson/Blanchfield/Wesley as a lineup while the game is on the line and Moore + Andersen+ Cedric cooling their heels??
Haha....supercoach

Reply #603652 | Report this post

cats 4 life  
Years ago

lv gone missing? sorry bubbles didn't play, d$oesn't count as nothing.

Reply #603653 | Report this post

LV  
Years ago

Well I've seen both teams play heaps this season, and that game confirmed my thoughts on both of them.

Perth are solid defensively, but don't have many go to options other than Prather. Struggle in half court offense. Real potential for semi final or even grand finalist. Very unlikely to win the championship.

Demopoulos is out of his depth. Hope I'm wrong but it's Hard to see Melbourne winning a title with him at the helm making dimwitted decisions.

Wouldn't surprise me if this week is spent looking at New import options to replace Williams, and a call is made to Shawn Dennis (does he still live in Townsville? Someone might pay him a visit on Thursday or Friday). One game this week, then an 8 day break so it's quite possible DD and DW are on a plane by this time next week.

Hard to watch that today. I'd prefer if Utd were more like Adelaide- zero chance of a title but young kids infringing t themselves, playing with a system, play with passion, led by a good coach.

Reply #603654 | Report this post

cats 4 life  
Years ago

nice road win

Reply #603655 | Report this post

LV  
Years ago

Improving* themselves

Reply #603657 | Report this post

Benno  
Years ago

Agreed LV, Williams has been a fail. Perfect time to scoop up a good player right now! Melbourne need a 7fter

Reply #603658 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

The United didn't have CG43 but Perth didn't have Kenny, one of their most important creators.

Reply #603659 | Report this post

PlaymakerMo  
Years ago

Melbourne need a coach... "Alright!"

Reply #603660 | Report this post

LV  
Years ago

Was Moore under utilised, someone asked?

I'm done. I probably shouldn't post any more as it'll turn into an anti DD rant.

Maybe I should dig out the email I drafted after round 1, update it and actually send it to Vince Crivelli this time. Expressing my concerns re DD.

As far as the season, United will make top 4. They lost a close one to a team who was 3-1 coming in, and were missing their best scorer (Goulding) and possibly their most reliable spot up three point shooter (Barlow). So it's not the end of the world. But damn it is hard to sit there and watch a coach making hair brained subs for an entire game.

Reply #603661 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

When is Barlow due back

Reply #603663 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Does Barlow even count as a missing player these days? Guy hasn't played for two years.

Reply #603664 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Sydney got premiereship coach as an assistant, they're stacked for players and coaches.

Reply #603665 | Report this post

LV  
Years ago

Barlow played a few pre season games. Then hurt his calf, I think. Previous injury was achilles.

Reply #603666 | Report this post

Hoopie  
Years ago

DD lost that game. Stupid substitutions were the least of it. So often MU set up someone for a one on one and then one of his team-mates would either get in the way or be so close that his defender could help guard the ball.
As for the farcical last few minutes when nobody in MU wanted to shoot, or they missed no-pressure shots, or they blew overload fast breaks ... Jeez.

And WHY did Jackson chuck up that last shot instead of a play to get it to either Andersen or Blanchfield or even Tomlinson?

I think they were easily good enough to win without Goulding; they just couldn't! (Instead of Wesley chucking up bricks it probably would have been Goulding doing it.)

Next coach please.

Reply #603668 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Why not post the letter in a thread here, LV?

Reply #603673 | Report this post

maxymoo  
Years ago

DD makes Gleeson look like a coach.

Reply #603680 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

So how in Barlow still on the roster and getting paid? Best gig ever.

Reply #603681 | Report this post

Bol Bol  
Years ago

Well, somehow the cats are managing to get the job done. It doesn't look pretty but their experienced heads and trademark D are getting them over the line for now. It seems the notion of a more athletic high tempo game style is out the window already. Did we really believe Gleeson anyway. So a Beal type import still looks the better option with his versatility to run the point if needed. At times today kenny and martin were off injured. Ingram looks too one dimensional offensively and not great defensively. Should give him a month to see what he can do but it will still be early enough in the season to pull the trigger on another import if the cats' hierarchy are able to eat humble pie

Reply #603682 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Ingram so far averaging 8.5ppg on 6/17 shooting (35 per cent). Having said that, the shots he has made have been timely. One of the problems though is that prather has to do more ball handling and playmaking and by the end of both games he's looked absolutely spent. A lot of comparisons between beal and Ingram but beal could provide extra ball handling.

Lets see Ingram with the benefit of a full weeks training so that everyone can gain some cohesion. I would say he's been a downgrade on Johnson so far but Matt Knight's return has helped cover that up. Absolutely stellar return weekend from the knightmare.

Reply #603683 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I think Redhage showed his experience today. Played more minutes as normal and we needed his experience on court. Im surprised after hitting 2 hi quality 3's Gleeson didnt put DD on for more of a run.
McKays a big hustler but he lacks the muscle to compete against the big C's. Thank god for Knight though for that.

Reply #603684 | Report this post

lawsy  
Years ago

Perth don't have the firepower to win it this year.. I can't see them keeping up with a stacked kings team as the season goes.. They are a Casey Prather injury away from wooden spoons

Reply #603685 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Agree mostly Lawsy but don't underestimate dat Cats basketball.

Why didn't MU sack DD and appoint Gaze in the offseason?

Reply #603687 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Most cats fans probably wont care too much if they dont win the whole thing aslong as they make the finals and keep the streak going.

But in saying that. We would be fools to underestimate them this early in the season. They always seem to find a way to get the job done

Reply #603690 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

"Why didn't MU sack DD and appoint Gaze in the offseason?" Clearly you don't know anything about the Tigers and United history.

Reply #603692 | Report this post

Dazz  
Years ago

Hows that cats offense looking today dazz?
I generally try to respond intelligently to direct questions, but I'm struggling with this one?
So, ok, the Cats Offense looked pretty much the same as it always does.
Cats won the game by shutting down the opposition. That actually works well on the road. Matty was solid inside, Prather has his name already on the MVP award, with a spread of average scores amongst the others.
Obviously we're a Prather injury away from disaster.
Somebody mentioned the "up-tempo" game. Yeah, watch the 1st home game and save it for posterity. With JJ & Prather that was it. With him we're back to the old bump & grind.
Way too early to make a call on McKay, but if he can get his game going, things could pick up, but at the moment our number one inside threat is Knight. He and "fast tempo" don't belong in the same thread.

Ingram was ok, considering he has now spent most of the past few days on an aeroplane, but he'll need to hit better than 30%.

Reply #603693 | Report this post

Dazz  
Years ago

Most cats fans probably wont care too much if they dont win the whole thing aslong as they make the finals and keep the streak going.
Everyone likes to win the whole thing, but you can't be too greedy. And its not like the AFL, teams can rebuild between seasons. We're had a good tousle with NZ over the past several seasons, now in recent years the new MU is more competitive, and the revamped Sydney deserve to be early favourites.

IMHO the league so-far looks very close.

Reply #603695 | Report this post

LV  
Years ago

The league looks close? It's Sydney then daylight. I expect Utd to snatch second once they have their full line up back, and their talent can overcome their coach

Reply #603699 | Report this post

PlaymakerMo  
Years ago

It's Sydney then daylight *on paper*.

Reply #603701 | Report this post

LV  
Years ago

Well Sydney has been the most impressive team to date, full stop.

I'm just making an educated assumption that the introduction of a superstar 7 footer and a 13 year NBA guy who will shore up their only weakness, That could add some daylight.

Reply #603706 | Report this post

Train  
Years ago

"It's Sydney then daylight."

That's a pretty big call at this stage of the season to be making. Kings have played one team thats currently in the top 4 and that was a loss to Brisbane. Add to that they are currently second on the ladder. Great team with a bucket load of potential - Yes.....but I think its way too early to be placing them ahead of the pack :)

Reply #603707 | Report this post

Train  
Years ago

"I'm just making an educated assumption that the introduction of a superstar 7 footer and a 13 year NBA guy who will shore up their only weakness, That could add some daylight."

Or it could totally back fire if the chemistry isn't there :P

Reply #603708 | Report this post

cats 4 life  
Years ago

lv when can you stop talking crap? get over yourself! Perth will be there every year like it or not. you 're a toss.

good luck with United, Sydney have to prove to be that team you want them to be

Reply #603711 | Report this post

LV  
Years ago

I've seen plenty of every single team. So far, every team has shown at least one obvious, significant weakness.... Except Sydney.

2 things to add to that observation.

1. Without personnel changes, I don't see any of the other teams overcoming their weakness.

2. It's unlikely that the introduction of Khazzouh and Blake will create any weakness for Sydney. We're talking a 7 footer who can score from anywhere, and an NBA point guard. The only question being raised is "will there be enough ball to go around" chemistry, etc. But Blake has always been a role player, so has Maric and Newley over past few years. These are veterans. I don't see it being an issue.

Reply #603712 | Report this post

LV  
Years ago

And of course, keep in mind my "without personnel changes" comment. There could always be import changes, coaching changes etc.

Reply #603714 | Report this post

LV  
Years ago

(Or injuries).

Reply #603715 | Report this post

LV  
Years ago

My question marks over Sydney were. 1 no pass first PG. 2. Gaze .

Blake is the answer to #1. And #2 is looking good. Vickerman is there too, after all, to guide him through so perhaps that's no surprise.

Reply #603716 | Report this post

ROFLcopter  
Years ago

Lol

Gleeson is a flog

Reply #603720 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Khazzoih is not a superstar. If he was they wouldn't be bottom of the ladder every year with him as their main guy

Reply #603721 | Report this post

cats 4 life  
Years ago

Blake no Kobe, I don't understand why Sydney is the team to beat?

Reply #603724 | Report this post

Dazz  
Years ago

The league looks close? It's Sydney then daylight.
Sorry, I didn't realise Sydney were the only team in the league?
Last time I counted, there were 8...

Are you going to start complaining about the "blowouts" next?

Plus of course one could ask the obvious question as to why you are ranting about Sydney in a thread devoted to MU and Perth?

Reply #603726 | Report this post

Dazz  
Years ago

I think Redhage showed his experience today. Played more minutes as normal and we needed his experience on court.
What's interesting is that he was used for minimal minutes on Friday, almost like they were saving him for this game. Very surprised to see so many minutes from him.

Reply #603727 | Report this post

Train  
Years ago

He has been used to close out games in the 4th quarter a few times this season now. It's a smart move, keep him fresh and then use his wealth of experience when its needed. Redhage maybe dwindling but he still clutch in high pressure situations.

Reply #603729 | Report this post

LV  
Years ago

Lol @ Dazz who makes a comment on the entire league and then whinges when someone replies to him.

Reply #603731 | Report this post

XY  
Years ago

Melbourne looked pretty ordinary for a team who were almost unanimous pre-season favourites.

When the commentators are calling out your line-ups as having NO offensive threats (and then conceding that Wesley can score a bit), but you can't see it at coach there is something wrong. And no Wesley should not be the offensive powerhouse in any line-up (useful 4th or 5th option, sure).

Melbourne might have a good core, but their bench might be the weakest in the league. I realise Goulding was not available (Barlow, does he still play!) but Melbourne should have won that game.

Every year we talk about Perth's offensive limitations, and every year they still seem to get it together somehow. That said, I just can't see them consistently putting up winning scores this year. I have watched a few of their games now, and they are a mess at the offensive end.

All in all, not a very convincing outing by either team.

Reply #603767 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 7:46 am, Fri 26 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754