LV
Years ago

Bullets vs Breakers 22/10

Bullets well on top.

NZ need so much more out of Penney and Webster if they're to challenge for top 4.

Topic #40123 | Report this topic

LV  
Years ago

Penney shouldn't really play the 3 either- guys like Prather, Newley and Craig have been posting him up and he's no match there. Problem is, other than Abercrombie who can play the 3 for them?

Webster is also playing some time here and there at the 1. So they've got their two superstar players spending at least some time in the wrong position- not a recipe for success. Meanwhile Woodside s been decent but Loe and Mitchell just not quite what they would've hoped I reckon. Not quite enough inside scoring punch.

Reply #603496 | Report this post

Zodiac  
Years ago

I never really understood the Penney signing in terms of fit unless Webster was going to play at the PG spot like NBA teams advised him to do. I don't know what they're doing and they don't look very good doing it either.

Reply #603500 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Shame about NBL TV dropping the ball again.

Reply #603506 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Damm I missed the bet for Breakers not long ago @ $7. :(

Reply #603512 | Report this post

LV  
Years ago

Strong D from the Breakers in the 3rd. Kickert being off has helped them, cos neither Beal or Craig is hot right now. Kicks was keeping the score ticking over

Reply #603514 | Report this post

MACDUB  
Years ago

Reffing atrocious. Home cooking.

Reply #603516 | Report this post

Tempo  
Years ago

Craig just travelled...refs dont call that...of course not...they cant risk losing there Bullets bets

Reply #603517 | Report this post

LV  
Years ago

If Brisbane had one more guard who could get to the hoop and dish, they'd be such a good team. Gibsons just not quite enough for them at PG at this stage.

There's things to like though. Craig is the X factor and he was very good tonight. Although a lot of it was taking using his physical advantage over Penney. Abercrombie was doing well vs Beal while Craig walked over Penney at points.

Bairstow will be a handful in a few weeks.

Liking Mitchells second half here.

Reply #603519 | Report this post

LV  
Years ago

Akil Mitchell was fantastic tonight, so that's something to make Henare smile. But bottom line, if Penney and Webster need to start making a bigger impact soon, before the season gets away from them. Those are the two guys- along with Abercrombie- that Henare would expect to be game winners at the offensive end and its just not happening.

Reply #603522 | Report this post

ROFLcopter  
Years ago

It looks like Abercrombie only lights up against MU at Hisense

Reply #603535 | Report this post

Mystro  
Years ago

Breakers come out strong for the first few minutes, drain some shots and then fall off a cliff defensively and dig themselves a hole.
I would start Mitchell over Vukona and Webster over Penney and play Delany some more.

Reply #603555 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

At 14ppg at almost 60% from 3p I'd say Abercrombie is delivering what's expected. But Webster has never regained his mojo since his form slump last season and Penney's offence is being hampered by the way teams are going after him at the other end.

As with most teams though, NZ's issues are cohesion based, individuals perform much better at both ends in a cohesive team.

I think the Breakers will take a fair bit from the second half last night. They defended with real energy and strangely enough their offence flowed from that.

Time will tell but they may help them find an identity that's been largely missing so far this season with all the new players (and coach) coming in.

Reply #603557 | Report this post

LV  
Years ago

I meant Penney and Webster were the two not producing, but Abercrombie is the other main guy obviously, but 1 out of 3 isn't enough.

Their second half was strong against both Perth and Bris, but it's been a more controlled comeback on both occasions. They haven't shown the ability to score quickly in bunches- that's where those two guys come in.

Reply #603560 | Report this post

Mystro  
Years ago

Webster produced the goods for the tall blacks in the Olympic qualification tournament but I agree, in a Breakers jersey he hasn't been the same player.

Reply #603698 | Report this post

Tom  
Years ago

Penney had a better game after a less than average games against the Kings and United. Defensively we have been vulnerable .......almost pathetic with opponents doing whatever they like to us. Offensively we are a step behind the top 5 teams. Abercrombie seems the only consistent scorer.
The league has really upped the ante and we look like we have stayed still or slipped a little.
Woodside is solid but does not create or look to create enough.

Ball handling and taking care of the ball has been worrying.
Mitchell is athletic and tall enough but defensively he has been taken to school. Looks like we may be in for a long season.

Reply #603822 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 9:11 pm, Tue 16 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754