AngusH
Years ago

Larry Kestelman on Aussie Hoopla podcast

Right near the end of Kestelman's interview on the Aussie Hoopla podcast he made an interesting statement - none of the 8 teams in the league right now will ever vanish from the competition ("ever" presumably means while he is in charge, at least). Not sure what Townsville's fanbase would think of that, but at least it means the regional teams like Hawks/Taipans are secure - I think having 2 NSW teams is ideal, and Brisbane/Cairns are both great locations considering they are dipping their toes in the Asian market.

Some good comments on the attempted Asian expansion too, not terribly surprising (looking/hoping for Asian ownership for the Bullets, sponsorship $$$), but interesting to hear it straight from the horse's mouth. With the type of names the league is pulling in at the moment, it gives me at least a bit of comfort knowing that someone like Kestelman is in charge and presumably we aren't going to see half the league go bankrupt in the next 2-3 years.

Topic #40175 | Report this topic

Anonymous  
Years ago

Link would be nice

Reply #604981 | Report this post

Aussie  
Years ago

Did he mention anything about crowds and television ratings?

Kings got 6519 yesterday. Not bad but need to be averaging at least 8k per game. Still along way to go

Reply #604982 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

6.5k is worrying IMO. I expected a lot more for Blake's debut.

Reply #604985 | Report this post

AngusH  
Years ago

Link: http://www.aussiehoopla.com/category/podcasts/

Re: crowd numbers he said the initial numbers are encouraging this year (ie. attendance is up to the best levels in years), but not nearly at the levels they are shooting for long-term.

Reply #604987 | Report this post

ME (he/kangaroo)  
Years ago

Townsville can get f----. Their team was propped up for years and years and they never bothered to turn up to games. They had an excuse when it was running from a shitty little rec center, but none when they went back to TEC. They were holding the league down and they had to go.

Reply #604995 | Report this post

Aussie  
Years ago

Let's hope that in time, the Fox Sports viewing audiences can at least match what the A League are getting. They are WAY ahead of us, in terms of viewing numbers, at the moment

Reply #604996 | Report this post

AngusH  
Years ago

@ ME: I don't entirely disagree with you, but at the same time it is a shitty situation if you are one of those fans that has been turning up game after game, year after year.

The owners were never going to be able to afford to participate in the comp with the type of $$$ needed to field a competitive team (or meet the salary cap min. requirements), and Kestelman mustn't have felt like it was going to be easy/plausible to attract a new ownership group in Townsville that could... It's hard to disagree with that. I still think it's a shame, though.

Reply #605002 | Report this post

Aussie  
Years ago

It is a shame but the interest was simply not there, making it unsustainable. The crowds weren't big enough, affecting revenue big time. It's as simple as that

Reply #605004 | Report this post

Wookiee  
Years ago

NBA fans need to understand that they're really in the minority and no-one would actually know who Steve Blake is and the only thing he's being touted as is an ex-NBA player, his draw for the non-regular fan would be minimal...

I was a bit disappointed with the crowd numbers yesterday, but not the quality, it was easily the best crowd we've had in a long time, very invested and pumped all game... If the Kings keep winning, hopefully that number will grow...

Reply #605005 | Report this post

Aussie  
Years ago

Wonkiee, I hope you are right. What is the Marketing like for the Kings in Sydney? Any TV Ads? Radio Ads? Billboard or newspaper Advertsing?

Reply #605008 | Report this post

Aussie  
Years ago

* Wookiee

Reply #605009 | Report this post

Ricky  
Years ago

Whats the level of community engagement with Melb and Syd compared to Perth's?

Aim for families and a good day/night out for entertainment.

Start at schools and other community events, free meet and greet days with some freebie takeaways, maybe tickets, get people familiar with the team.

Reply #605010 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

LK would've already thrown money at propping the Crocs up. Their community showed it wasn't viable, sad as it is to lose a team we were all familiar with.

Reply #605016 | Report this post

Aussie  
Years ago

I couldn't agree more Ricky. Perth are masters of this. People think that Perth draw large crowds, due to their success with winning. Whilst this certainly helps, their community engagement is second to none. School visits, association visits, charity work, huge banners in the CBD, newspaper and radio Advertising, always stories in the West Australian newspaper, brand Marketing etc.

They didn't sit on their hands and hope the public would come to them.

They got out there and Marketed the brand thoroughly, to thousands of people

Reply #605018 | Report this post

Wookiee  
Years ago

Unfortunately I'm not a FTA tv or radio guy during the main part of the day sort of person so I can't really comment on much, but from comments made by other Kings fans in Facebook groups, etc, it's a huge improvement over past seasons... Have seen some on-train advertising which has been a big step up, not on my line unfortunately, I'm still stuck with crap graffiti...

They just need to crack the public some how... I think the best approach is to appeal to fans of other sports somehow... NRL fans are a pigheadedly loyal breed though...

Reply #605023 | Report this post

Wookiee  
Years ago

@Aussie - the "ee" is appreciated, but feeling Wonkiee today, so I just took it :)

Agree that getting into the community is a key effort area and the Kings have been working hard with that the last few seasons, and also trying to improve their family fun pre-game activities and stuff as well, as well as during the game... It's a very pantene shampoo situation... won't happen overnight, but keeping at it and it will happen... I think that's key... Keep working hard and don't expect immediate fixes...

Reply #605025 | Report this post

AngusH  
Years ago

Perth are the gold standard in the NBL, but it's been a combination of everything they've done - community engagement, but also on-court success over a very long period of time.

Reply #605044 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I've been present at every Cats GF win since '95

95' the best and 2009 2nd best. 2014 was great too.

This year was just meh :P

Reply #605050 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I was 11 in '93 when we lost and I cried for 3 days straight.

Oh how sweet '95 was especially after losing game 1 :D

Reply #605051 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

SO I've seen GF wins at 3 venues: PEC, Challenge and PErth Arena

WOAH

Reply #605053 | Report this post

Freethrows  
Years ago

@Aussie, I think you may find there are other teams that utilise a lot of community engagement, too. Cairns and Illawarra are two teams that work very hard in the community (they have to, being community owned teams!)

I do think it would be harder in Sydney and in Melbourne to do that, because they are much bigger cities, and have a huge spread to cover in terms of supporter base. They have to do what they can, though, and really need to be getting out to at lease one or two schools per week, for example, even if with just three or four players for each visit, just to get the interest building.

Reply #605054 | Report this post

DJ Rod  
Years ago

#yourgame

Townsville will start again through the QBL and hopefully one day, be a powerhouse in the National competition.

The city is not ready and imo, they cant be called the Crocs when they come back, the brand and name is damaged for good.

Reply #605066 | Report this post

Zodiac  
Years ago

Rod, Are the Townsville Heat kind of like a sister club of the Crocs like the Taipans have with the Marlins?

I saw Schenscher played for the Heat in the QBL after the Crocs folded.

Reply #605072 | Report this post

DJ Rod  
Years ago

No not at all. We are run by Townsville Basketball Inc which is a seperate organisation, in fact that was one of the downfalls of the Crocs; they never really had ties with the local junior basketball association.

The QBL program is run by Greg Vanderjagt who is GM of TBI. I am the Head Coach of the Heat and we had Peter Crawford, Luke Schensher, Mirko Djeric and a host of local guys including Harry Froling for half of the season before he went to SMU.

We sold out most game during the season, or close to, and had brilliant sponsorship support for both us and the Flames (which is the girls team). The new Head Coach of the Flames is Claudia Brassard's husband, Mike St Maurice, so with him on board and Greg as GM, we have close connections with NBL & WNBL players to add to our rosters.

Reply #605125 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 10:50 am, Thu 25 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754