Dazz
Years ago

Should Cairns "Re-Brand" themselves?

Obviously I'm neither from FNQ, nor a fan, so this is just a question. (Or two.)

Firstly, with the demise of the Crocs, and the re-appearance of Brisbane, is this the right time for Cairns to re-position themselves as "THE North Queensland" team?
Since there is nolonger a "Reptile Rumble" do they need to build a "cross-state" rivalry with Brisbane, by promoting themselves as the regional Qld team?

Secondly, and this is more of an aside, I have always wondered how Cairns folk and fans feel about being "represented" by a snake?
(I appreciate the question is a little ironic, since Carins are the only team represented by a real, unique, indigenous, animal.)

Topic #40177 | Report this topic

Isaac  
Years ago

No, stay as is. Better to build on what they have than take any risks now.

Reply #605013 | Report this post

Ricky  
Years ago

They floated the idea already, got punctured.

Reply #605015 | Report this post

LV  
Years ago

No. Bad idea.

For die hard Taipans fans, it'd be horrible. I've spent the last 2.5 years trying to get on board with United and I've found I simply can't do it. I hope they do it for the city, I enjoy watching NBL so still attend matches. But I'd be sky high for days if the Tigers won the title. United? I'm honestly not that fussed.

And don't forget there's the small issue of home games. Townsville has proven unable to bring the crowds. And how can you rebrand to "Far North Queensland" or whatever, unless you play games in multiple locations? If you play every game in Cairns, just call yourselves Cairns.

True die hard NBL fans from Townsville (If there were any left) might travel to enjoy a Taipans game here or there anyway, now. The branding won't make a difference.

Keep building the Taipans brand.

Reply #605020 | Report this post

LV  
Years ago

In other words, there's not much to be gained from such a move, I would've thought. And it could risk hurting the connection they've spent 20 years building with the Cairns Taipans name.

Reply #605021 | Report this post

Wookiee  
Years ago

Yeah, worst idea ever and would echo the Razorbacks > Spirit mess... Has been shot down by Cairns adn Townsville fans alike... The diehard Crocs fans that were actually turning up wouldn't support a FNQ team and the casual fans who wouldn't suffer from any such allegiances, weren't going to the games when they actually had a team in town...

#Disastrous

Reply #605026 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Should Cairns alienate their fan base? No of course not. The end.

Reply #605027 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Maybe the wildcats should re brand themselves as THE regional western australian team.

Reply #605028 | Report this post

Kingpodge  
Years ago

there's 4+ hours between the towns firstly, so we're not geography 'close'. Say you split the games between Cairns and Townsville, you'd effectively be adding to your away game schedule and alienating your core base - you're not getting any Cairns fans to a Thursday night game..... Not even i'm keen on an 8hr round trip to support....

The cowboys are a great example, they're called the 'North Queensland Cowboys' but many locals consider them the Townsville Cowboys. They are based in T'ville, they play in t'ville and they rarely visit Cairns during the season. It's anecdotal, but i'd suspect there would be as many Broncos fans in town, with a few Storm and Titans bandwagoners as well.

Bottom line is: If there was enough corp $$ and community support Townsville would still have a team. There's going to be no chance of any NBL team getting back into T'ville unless the $$ is there.

The Taipans brand is identifiable and relevant to the region, there's absolutely no need to scrap it and start again. I like the fact they're growing the brand up the Cape, and while they may not put many bums on seats it fulfils and expands on the clubs commitment to the community.

Reply #605031 | Report this post

Nonanon  
Years ago

"Secondly, and this is more of an aside, I have always wondered how Cairns folk and fans feel about being "represented" by a snake?"

Not sure what your point is here.

Reply #605036 | Report this post

Jack Toft  
Years ago

Beat me to it Wookie. The Razorbacks rebranding as Spirit to capture the Kings fans fell flat.

Rebranding is always hard unless there is a real reason to get rid of a really bad image. In this case Cairns doesn't stink as a brand, so they could tweek a little bit, but in marketing that's call the JND (just noticeable difference). If you move a brand image, sometimes it's good to do it very subtlety (e.g. the new Qantas logo) if there's no problems, but if there's a real problem and you want to organisation to be heading 180 degrees the other way, rebrand.

Reply #605041 | Report this post

Freethrows  
Years ago

Absolutely no question about it. The Taipans are a one-town team, and any attempt to spread the team over two cities would be incredibly stupid.

It didn't work for the "Hunter Pirates" or the "Sydney Spirit", and it didn't really work for Victoria Titans as a blend of the Giants, Spectres and Saints, either.

Admittedly, South East Melbourne Magic, as a blend of Nunnawading Spectres and St Kilda (Southern Melbourne) Saints worked pretty well. That's one city, though. As my Row E neighbour says, though, it's a long way between Cairns and Townsville (347.3km, according to my co-pilot, Google.)

Reply #605052 | Report this post

DJ Rod  
Years ago

NO!

Reply #605065 | Report this post

Thunder Jam  
Years ago

Worry about your own team chump!

Reply #605069 | Report this post

Dazz  
Years ago

The Taipans brand is identifiable and relevant to the region, there's absolutely no need to scrap it and start again. I like the fact they're growing the brand up the Cape,
Ok, so they're already doing that.

Sorry, I realise now people immediately spring to the "Townsville Assumption" but that wasn't what I was asking.

More just whether there is the potential for them to broaden their appeal? And I guess realistically (apart from those in the immediate vicinity) we're talking about TV & online viewers.

You could maybe host pre-season or demonstration games elsewhere, but your home games have to remain at home.

I don't know much about FNQ geo-politics, but is Cairns seen as the "Regional Capital"?

Maybe I should have said "re-position" but yeah I did say "Re-Brand".

Good point about the Cowboys. I'm not from the region, so I wasn't aware of the perceptions.

I'm not sure how much of the Cats community work is done regionally. But that's more the sort of thing I'm talking about, grass-roots type stuff.

I guess the problem is that anything that doesn't directly impact ticket sales is hard to quantify. If Foxtel (or NBL) subscriptions increase in FNQ, The Taipans won't get the credit or the money.

Reply #605089 | Report this post

Freethrows  
Years ago

Cairns already plays a lot of pre-season games in Mackay, as that is where CQU is based. There's not a lot of population elsewhere in the Far North, so there's not really any point in taking the team further afield, as they would not get many people to the games and it would only serve to weaken the local appetite.

Thanks for trying, Dazz. There's probably nothing left in this one.

Reply #605108 | Report this post

DJ Rod  
Years ago

Cairns have a great small community model, excellent fan base and no other national team to compete against. Townsville has nothing to offer them. I dont blame Cairns not wanting to change to a NQ team.

PLUS, if Townsville ever wants a team again, a NQ team would most likely count that out.

Reply #605123 | Report this post

Kingpodge  
Years ago

We'll take Rod, but we don't want anything to do with the rest of them!

Reply #605127 | Report this post

Kingpodge  
Years ago

#RowGForLife #EvenThoughIThinkIWasRowFLastYearIAmVeryConfused

Reply #605130 | Report this post

Wookiee  
Years ago

#RowGForLife #EvenThoughIThinkIWasRowFLastYearIAmVeryConfused

I loved being in Row DD and was even better when I got upgraded to EE, my favourite... Now I'm row H and just find it too much to handle...

Reply #605131 | Report this post

Freethrows  
Years ago

E36, isn't it, @Kingpodge?

Reply #605140 | Report this post

Kingpodge  
Years ago

nah i'm around the 200's i think - i can't remember, i've sat in this spot for so long i never look at my ticket haha

Reply #605192 | Report this post

CT  
Years ago

No, but that's dangerously close to me though :-)

Reply #605259 | Report this post

proud  
Years ago

I've always thought it was kinda sad that we couldn't have Cairns Crocodiles and Townsville Taipans to join the Brisbane Bullets but other than that there is nothing that I'd change Cairns have a model that is profitable and their fans see lots of wins so what more can you ask for except a championship

Reply #605297 | Report this post

Nonanon  
Years ago

"I loved being in Row DD..."

Would you say you were a fan of it?

Reply #605298 | Report this post

Kingpodge  
Years ago

maybe we should just get a hoops.com.au box next year so we can all argue face to face!

Reply #605371 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Should OP rebrand himself as someone who has a clue?

Reply #605537 | Report this post

Kingpodge  
Years ago

haha in all fairness I think it's not a dumb question to ask if you're not familiar with the region or the colloquial nature of the place .

Reply #605610 | Report this post

Insider  
Years ago

Boston is very colloquial however they have the New England Patriots and represent the region (NH,Conn,VT,Maine,Mass,RI)they don't play in multiple areas just outside of Boston.

Reply #605614 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Cairns Tropics. MAKE IT HAPPEN

Reply #605684 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 2:50 pm, Sat 20 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754