3 - 2009 Breakin da drought @ Challenge
4 - 2014 Ennis time and first Arena flag
5 - 2000 Unexpected win
6 - 1991 Back to back
7 - Beat arch nemisis NZ but was a bit meh as we smashed them

Topic #40179 | Report this topic

LV  
Years ago

Pretty sure I watched the Dragons beat the Tigers in 5 games in 2009.

Reply #605057 | Report this post

Mike  
Years ago

SORRY 2010

I actually got Dragons at $8 that year :)

Reply #605070 | Report this post

Nonanon  
Years ago

" '95 Sweet sweet revenge after the '93 heartbreak"

We took revenge on the Giants because the Tigers beat us in 93?

Reply #605076 | Report this post

Luuuc  
Years ago

Well, you know what they say: Revenge is a dish best served to whoever happens to be in the vicinity at the time.
I do agree that 2016 was a bit meh. Relatively speaking.

Reply #605081 | Report this post

Dazz  
Years ago

1. I loved 95, mostly because the final game was such an ass-whooping. After two close games, we blew the Giants off the court in the first quarter and they never recovered. We ran most of the last quarter with the Bench. It was also great because that got as the opportunity to go to London and play in the McDonalds championship, where we beat Real Madrid.

2. Last Season was pretty sweet. After losing so many series to the Breakers, it was awesome to finally get one back. Yeah, the game itself was uggo, with both teams out on their feet, but we got it done.

Reply #605083 | Report this post

Mike  
Years ago

'We took revenge on the Giants because the Tigers beat us in 93?'

Ok well redemption

I balled my little eyes out at the 93 loss but then 95 came around and I was so very happy :)

Reply #605086 | Report this post

Dazz  
Years ago

Maybe he meant "revenge on the NBL Salary cap"?
Because the league forced us to cut TT, then allowed the Giants Giants to completely shred the Cap.
(Then handed them a massive fine, then forgave the fine because they had no money left.)

Besides, revenge for '93, would just mean punching the shit out of Ray Gordon, and I'm sure numerous people have already done that.

Reply #605092 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Loved the 09 grand final and the awesome party afterwards at Challenge.

Reply #605145 | Report this post

Mike  
Years ago

'Loved the 09 grand final and the awesome party afterwards at Challenge.

Yep I was there. Good times.

Also learned from Lachie Reed that night that we were signing Matt Knight

Reply #605152 | Report this post

Bol Bol  
Years ago

'95 was so so sweet. After game 2 the series went back to melbourne and the media were already talking up a Giants championship. No one gave perth a chance it seemed. James Crawford had one of the best GF performances ive seen and the cats destoryed them in the first half. Perhaps the giants got sucked into the media hype and thought they already had it won

Reply #605153 | Report this post

Dazz  
Years ago

'95 was so so sweet. After game 2 the series went back to melbourne and the media were already talking up a Giants championship
Not quite. Games 2 & 3 were at the Entertainment Centre in Perth, I was there for both. Big party outside afterwards.
One of the Giants admitted later that after two close games, they let the game 2 loss do their heads in, and were basically mentally defeated before they even stepped on the court for game 3.
Cats absolutely smashed them in the first quarter, and they never recovered.

Reply #605158 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

you clearly weren't there because game 1 was a home loss that suddenly made the series advantage giants and made game 3 all the more sweet

Reply #605161 | Report this post

Ricky  
Years ago

Yep, Game 1 was in Perth, was there.

Game 2 was in Melb and Vlahov got fired up after seeing celebratory decorations, etc at halftime and Stokesey had a word or two to the team I think. The next 6 quarters was HISTORY.

Watching Game 3 that Sunday was the best memory of the "Big 4" Wildcats and the Glory Days. What a moment.

Reply #605195 | Report this post

Bol Bol  
Years ago

My mistake, it was game 2 when the cats had to travel to melbourne after they lost game 1 at home. Vlahov was quoted as saying the team had been motivated by the fact the administrators had made celebratory arrangements in anticipation of a Giants victory.

I recall game 3 being played back in perth and the biased mike ellis commentary. Who could blame him though, JC was was blocking and dunking everything that came near him

Reply #605200 | Report this post

Bol Bol  
Years ago

Thanks for clearing that up Ricky lol

Reply #605201 | Report this post

Ricky  
Years ago

No worries.

That James Crawford slam in the 3rd Quarter from under the basket from a Ricky Grace bounce pass.. unexpected. The guy was feeling it that afternoon. Legend.

That and Stewie finally getting a basket were the best moments out of so many good ones that game.

Reply #605203 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

1990/1991/1995

daylight

more daylight

even more daylight

the recent rings (boring era of NBL *yawn*)

how I yearn for classic NBL.

Reply #605679 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 5:48 am, Wed 24 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754