Zodiac
Years ago

Joey on Drmic: It's a Mystery

ADELAIDE 36ers coach Joey Wright admits he is concerned over the form of rookie recruit Anthony Drmic who has struggled through the Sixers' first six NBL games.

Drmic, 24 and 196cm, returned from an exceptional college career at Boise State University Broncos where he finished his career as the renowned basketball school’s second all-time scorer.

Yet in stark contrast, Drmic so far has averaged 1.0 point at 17 per cent, has missed his five three-point attempts and is 2-of-10 from the free throw line.

"It’s a mystery," Wright admitted of Drmic’s inability — so far — to translate a stellar college history into anything meaningful at NBL level.

http://www.news.com.au/sport/adelaide-36ers-coach-joey-wright-scratching-his-head-as-anthony-drmic-continues-in-need-of-a-shot-doctor/news-story/74ab5e123b12934e1abb4610c615cd1f

Topic #40183 | Report this topic

alexkrad  
Years ago

Joey lighting a rocket

Reply #605101 | Report this post

AngusH  
Years ago

Worked with Randle, let's see if it works with Drmic.

Reply #605102 | Report this post

KET  
Years ago

I think Randle was always going to be fine on the big stage of the real season

Reply #605104 | Report this post

AussiePride  
Years ago

Drmic has definitely got talent and has been a very good player throughout his college career. I watched quite a few games he played for Boise State and he had a lot of good games but he almost always struggled badly when up against ranked teams.

Not sure exactly what the issue was but I would suggest it was bigger and better defenders and/or the pressure that is not there against lower ranked schools.

He is very much like a Nathan Sobey but with slightly less athleticism.

Reply #605106 | Report this post

Freethrows  
Years ago

Playing against men, as opposed to playing against boys. What percentage of College players would ever play professional ball, I wonder.

Reply #605109 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

He is very much like a Nathan Sobey but with slightly less athleticism.

Slightly less, now there's an understatement.

Reply #605111 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Yet slightly more money. That's the real mystery Joey.

Reply #605112 | Report this post

ROFLcopter  
Years ago

Drmic and Teys should be carrying the oranges.

Reply #605113 | Report this post

Zodiac  
Years ago

Drmic and Teys should be carrying the oranges.

But then what's Doyle going to do?

Reply #605116 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I agree have been disappointed in Drmic this year puzzling why his shooting has not translated. However Sobey's form has made up for Drmic in my opinion. I don't think even Sobey expected himself to go this well.

Reply #605119 | Report this post

Hendo8888  
Years ago

If he were an AFL player, he would have been sent back to the SANFL to find form a couple weeks ago. Seems like he just needs to drop 30 on someone at a lower level for a couple games to get his rhythm back.

Reply #605122 | Report this post

Beantown  
Years ago

When I've been watching him at home games, he appears to be trying too hard and is getting down on himself very quickly. He needs to try to relax out there and believe in himself a little more. I've seen him make some good defensive reads and do a lot of little stuff well, but then he misses a shot or gets out-muscled and the call goes against him and he lets it get to him. Hopefully he finds some confidence soon!

Reply #605126 | Report this post

Freethrows  
Years ago

He may just be a Steindl-type, who drops his shoulders and pouts once he misses, and can't get back in the game.

Reply #605142 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

He has great skill, but his body has come in underdone. If he picked up his overall fitness and speed, he'd be able to use the skills he has.

Reply #605148 | Report this post

Dazz  
Years ago

Is this a case of too much pressure on a young guy???

Reply #605159 | Report this post

Jerkin' Gherkin  
Years ago

He is a good spot up shooter, he just seems off at the moment. Might be the big stage, give him one off year, he will rectify it next year and come out guns blazing. Lets not forget, players have not cemented a rhythm yet - Rotnei looking horrible.

Reply #605168 | Report this post

ME (he/kangaroo)  
Years ago

His body language is awful as soon as he comes on the court. If I didn't know Drmic before, and I'd just watched him meander his way around the court, I'd just think the guy was out of his league entirely.

Reply #605188 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Well dazz if so, maybe he should give some cash back and then no one will care how shit he is. Pressure off!

Reply #605189 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Size hasn't stopped Sobey. Athleticism hasn't stopped Madgen.

There just seem to be some players who can translate their ability from one level to another without fear (Sobey, evidently) and others who seem to have mental awareness of where they are, and lose confidence when put up a level. CJ Massingale floundered at NBL level, right? Always thought Jason Williams was a little the same back in the day.

I'd be running plays to try and get him easy victories - layups or assist - anything that might get him going.

Reply #605198 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

He definitely has similar athletic ability to Madgen, so I'd concur with that assessment.

Reply #605246 | Report this post

bulldog  
Years ago

In the end the facts are is was brought in as a shooter but cant hit a shot. Therefore not fulfilling his role.

Reply #605324 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 4:48 am, Wed 17 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754