Anonymous
Years ago

Melbourne cut Devin Williams

http://www.sportando.com/m/en/world/oceania/216002/melbourne-united-parting-ways-with-devin-williams.html

Topic #40191 | Report this topic

koberulz  
Years ago

When was the last time this many imports were cut?

Reply #605335 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I was really hoping MU would stick with DW, please don't fire DD either.

Reply #605336 | Report this post

DaHuzyBru  
Years ago

well, that's what 2.4 points and 3.3 rebounds per game will get ya

Reply #605337 | Report this post

Freethrows  
Years ago

I wonder who they have ready to replace him. Someone's already either there, or on a plane.

Reply #605338 | Report this post

Hendo8888  
Years ago

Pretty much every year Koberulz.
There's only been 3 sacked (and one of them has since been reinstated). That's pretty standard.

Reply #605344 | Report this post

Tough timing with the double this round... Nothing on the twitter, I wonder if they were waiting to see fi they could get his replacement sorted first?

Reply #605346 | Report this post

Baller#3  
Years ago

I find it interesting every year that some imports just can't play in the grinding style of the NBL

Reply #605347 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Someone said to me after his first good game, he can't play. I laughed. Oops.

Reply #605348 | Report this post

Train  
Years ago

How long till DD gets the chop!!

Reply #605349 | Report this post

LV  
Years ago

Where there's smoke, there's usually fire.

But let's be honest, Blind Freddy saw this one coming.

If Melbourne can replace him with someone really good (like the Kings did with Blake) then they could make this competition interesting and challenge Sydney this season. So in that respect, this is great news.

Reply #605350 | Report this post

Zodiac  
Years ago

When was the last time this many imports were cut?

Strange comment, there's only been 2 cut so far this would make it 3 and until now the import shenanigans have only involved two teams Perth & Sydney.

Reply #605357 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

The same person said that DD should go too

Reply #605358 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I get that he's not a massive super star. But he is easily as good as Jameel Mckay. Especially off the bench.

How about you play your import more than 12 minutes a game if you would like better production. Classic MU.

Reply #605359 | Report this post

Zodiac  
Years ago

If this ends up being correct that's what I think the role they signed Devin for not much could've been expected out of him it's not like he was starting or was ever going to play big minutes. Scapegoat.

It's funny as in a similar situation after this past weekend's games Boti said expect Holyfield to be cut soon. Another potential scapegoat.

Reply #605360 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Illawara should have signed Daniel Alexander from Texas A&M not Holyfield.

Reply #605361 | Report this post

Maybe they tried and he said no? It's not always a given when recruiting players...

So apparently Williams is training with United today, so maybe it's jsut a "we want to see other people" sort of thing?

Reply #605363 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

"Easily as good as McKay"?

Ummm no...

Mckay has proven to be a sound offensive player, is a far better rebounder and shot blocker, and works a lot harder than willams on both ends.

Reply #605364 | Report this post

Master Chief  
Years ago

Should this team need to make changes to improve though?

Reply #605365 | Report this post

Dazz  
Years ago

It's weird, as of a couple of days ago MU wee "categorically denying" the rumour and claiming it had not even been discussed.
So you don't know if "Sportando" has more information, or is simply late reporting the original rumour.

Reply #605366 | Report this post

knowledge4all  
Years ago

I'm sorry but you have to touch the ball or at least get into a rhythm to be effective as a player....Williams really never got a chance...DD is yanking everyone back and forth....

Reply #605367 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

So MU has done a Perth and delisted him. ;)

Reply #605368 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Guarantee you put Mckay into a 12 min a game role he produces similar.

Reply #605369 | Report this post

LV  
Years ago

re Williams and McKay- interestingly they played against each other in the same college conference.

Williams outperformed McKay in college if the stats and personal accolades are any indication. And Williams is also 2 years younger, so you might assume he has more upside, if anything.

I agree DD has staved him of opportunities and I agree that the best change United could make would be getting rid of the guy on the sidelines. Aaaiiight.

But on the other hand, if a better import big is available then they need to go for it, because the way it looks is that they won't get anywhere near the Kings.

Reply #605370 | Report this post

Zodiac  
Years ago

Daylight then Devin Williams?

Reply #605373 | Report this post

LV  
Years ago

If we can get someone as good as Steve Blake who fits our squad just as well, we might have to get rid of the daylight Kings label.

Reply #605374 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Steve Blake is not that good at NBL level

Reply #605375 | Report this post

LV  
Years ago

He looked very good in his first game, IMO.

Only issue was that he lacked a bit of shooting touch- missed a couple of wide open threes early in the game, shots that he'll start hitting soon.

Reply #605376 | Report this post

Mike  
Years ago

'Steve Blake is not that good at NBL level'

Lol wat?

He already looked a cut above and hasn't played ball for 5 months or something

Reply #605377 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

"Steve Blake is not that good at NBL level"

You're not that good at knowing what a good player is....at any level.

Reply #605380 | Report this post

Zodiac  
Years ago

That was Blake's first pro game ever outside the NBA. Aside from his shot not dropping you could already tell his court vision was a step above, wait until he gets his legs under him, adjusts to FIBA rules, his new teammates and the style of play in the NBL and I think you'll soon see how good he will be in the NBL.

Reply #605385 | Report this post

Ricky  
Years ago

Mmm, that's like Stephen Jackson.. couldn't cut it here but luckily the NBA gave him a chance. ;)

Reply #605386 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

The NBL seemed to invest a bit in Devin as a league identity - profiles, images in marketing, etc. Always a risk with imports, especially those coming in new.

Reply #605391 | Report this post

Ricky  
Years ago

DD went and messed it all up.. I expect he wont be around for long.

Reply #605396 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Lol at LV, so you are saying that Williams is a better player than McKay in the NBL based on stats from college....ok

Reply #605437 | Report this post

LV  
Years ago

Nope, I said Devin was a better player I'm college, based on his accolades and resume.

That doesn't mean he'll be a better NBL player, but it should give us pause to wonder if other factors are involved in his poor form other than a lack of ability. Like, Not being given opportunities, Not being given a chance to find his rhythm, not having plays run for him etc. I said after the first game if the season that Majok and Williams needed more time. 6 more games later, that hasn't changed. Just old DD still has not caught on....

Reply #605438 | Report this post

Keany  
Years ago

I wonder what gladness is up to

Reply #605443 | Report this post

hoopie  
Years ago

11 games to go this year, and I think United will struggle to win more than 3. (I hope I'm wrong.) I wonder what benchmark DD needs to achieve to keep his job.

Ironic that DW lost his job cos of DD, who has shown more incompetence in his role than DW.

Who will DD's next scapegoat be, I wonder?

Reply #605618 | Report this post

_Strungout_  
Years ago

So this report was incorrect?

Reply #605628 | Report this post

Nonanon  
Years ago

"11 games to go this year, and I think United will struggle to win more than 3."

???

Reply #605630 | Report this post

Hoopie  
Years ago

So DW wasn't cut (yet), as he's playing (well, sort of).

To clarify my earlier point , I expect them to be bottom 3 come New Year

Reply #605688 | Report this post

Hoopie  
Years ago

Update: bottom 2 after that lack of team chemistry and confidence.

It seems to me that the players have lost confidence in the coach over the last weeks - does anyone have inside sources who can comment on that?

Reply #606300 | Report this post

LV  
Years ago

Melbourne will still make top 4, but it looks like another semi final exit to me.

DD does need to go, I've said that for ages, but putting that aside, would any team In the NBL keep winning if they lost:

- Their top scorer.
- Another starter.
- A quality player off the bench. Barlow was a starter in 2014/15, before missing last season.

Take Prather out of Perth's line up and tell me how you think they'll go.

Reply #606315 | Report this post

LV  
Years ago

and, was anyone else not surprised yo learn today that Williams can actually play basketball if left on court for longer than 20 seconds?

Reply #606316 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Barlow has arhilles and calf injuries the past two seasons, in his thirties, can't see him being united saviour.

Reply #606322 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 7:24 pm, Fri 29 Mar 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754