40th Street Black
Years ago

Big V is Big Money

Some Big V teams have a budget for the men's team in excess of $90,000+.

Not bad cash remembering that it's only a Victorian State League competition.

SEABL is still the premier league outside of NBL but with cash like that the Big V is a close third.

With that sort of Johnny cash and the benefit of playing against superior talent you would think that some S.A players might head over for the bigger bucks and better competition.

Certainly makes S.A's $15,000 salary cap look ordinary.

Not much S.A clubs can do but sausage sizzles and sell more red frogs.

Topic #4021 | Report this topic

HO  
Years ago

I think you might be talking SEABL here. I don't think any Big V side would be splashing $90,000 on players - you need to remember that the Big V sides on the whole play in smaller stadiums and come from smaller associations or smaller regional centres.

Reply #46777 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Both Dandenong and Melbourne play Big V and there are 2 of the largest associations in Melbourne.

Eltham are the largest and I think they play in it too. The only large Melbourne Associations in the SEABL are Knox and Nunawading.

Most of the SEABL teams from Victoria are regional. ie Geelong, Ballarat, Bendigo, Mildura.

Reply #46779 | Report this post

Chimbu  
Years ago

Both Dandy and Melb play Big V because it is cheaper than SEABL..

Melb is a relatively small Assoc as they go, has a small deomestic comp compared to many others..

Dandy has a WNBL team to pay for as well as 4 senior teams, Big V men and women championship and two youth league teams...

Eltham is a middle sized assoc many are larger and have a reasonable home stadium, Eltham High School does not cut it i am afraid..

As far as money goes you would want an absolute minimum of 75,000 a season for a mens team, and that would not get you to much.

Big V you could put a reasonable team on the court for 50,000...

Reply #46796 | Report this post

40th Street Black  
Years ago

I Have on good authority(from a Big V Player) the team's yearly player salary and my original post of $90,000 was spot on.
And his team didn't even make the finals.
How's those apples??

Reply #46864 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Eltham does not have a fantastic home stadium, but have the largest number of teams in competition.

Reply #46875 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

in what competition?? Eltham aren't anywhere near one of the biggest associations.

Reply #46876 | Report this post

HO  
Years ago

The largest association in melbourne is Kilsyth, the second largest is Knox - then Dandy, then Nuna then Frankston. Believe it or not, that is why they are referred to as the "Big 5".

Four of those five play SEABl.

I think you might find that the $90,000 might be the full cost of one or two programs in the Big V, not their player salaries.

Dandenong very publically stated when they left the SEABL and joined Big V that it was not because the Big V was cheaper, but because the structure of the Big V was far better for them.

The Big V have really kicked some at the Nationals this weekend just looking at the results - Sandringham losing to National champs Bendigo on a buzzer beater and the Big V girls losing to national champs Ballarat - normally the Central take the second women's final spot.

Reply #46891 | Report this post

HO  
Years ago

Sorry, my bad.

The Big V girls team (eltham) lost to Ballarat in a semi - ballarat played Knox in the final.

Reply #46894 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 7:37 am, Thu 25 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754