Anonymous
Years ago

How to improve Adelaide D?

Not enough paint presence. What can they do?

Topic #40219 | Report this topic

ROFLcopter  
Years ago

Less midgets
Stop starting Teys!!!

Reply #606124 | Report this post

Freethrows  
Years ago

Find a new coach, who understands what team defence is.

Reply #606140 | Report this post

MK  
Years ago

Defend the perimeter and not get themselves into a 16 point deficit in the first place... bench Teys, have him carrying the waterbottles. Start Ferguson who can shoot the 3 ball and can defend better. Give Majok more minutes so he can get a feel for the league. He is a genuine shotblocker the 36ers lack. Joey won't listen though, he will continue to do what his ignorant brain thinks is working.

Reply #606142 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I think majok is too thin though. Wildcat guys were catching the ball deep on the block against him and getting easy scores.

Reply #606149 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Get a legit centre and some other players that are of NBL quality. All these kids want stats and lots of them, they don't have no time for defensive principals. Coaches and management stuffed this season up big time with the youth movement bullshit they were preaching

Reply #606323 | Report this post

Hendo8888  
Years ago

Sign players who play defense.

Reply #606325 | Report this post

Hendo8888  
Years ago

And don't switch on every defensive set, which creates a mismatch all night.

Reply #606327 | Report this post

Zodiac  
Years ago

Start bringing DJ off the bench. Even though he's got another year to go on his contract after this one I think it's time Joey and the 36ers start nudging him towards the door.

His role seems to have been reduced this season already now he's been held out of a game supposedly for disciplinary reasons no doubt he would've had friends & family there in Perth coming to watch him play.

I think it might be best to bring him off the bench the rest of the way and hope he walks out on his contract and leaves at the end of the season. Other than the GF year we've never had any success with DJ even the year after that when we made the playoffs he came back from Poland late and came off the bench behind Motum.

So the only time we've ever made the playoffs with DJ starting was the GF year. I think there's something to that in that he's always been so poor defensively he tends to give up 3 buckets for every 2 he scores. I still don't know how we made the GF with him in 2014.

He's 28 now he's not going to change he is what he is and with the emergence of Randle keeping DJ on as the face of the club isn't as necessary. Even if Randle were to leave which could happen at any time you can't really plan long term around imports I think DJ's attitude to defence has always permeated through the team and we need to make a clean break.

Reply #606334 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

His role seems to have been reduced this season already now he's been held out of a game supposedly for disciplinary reasons no doubt he would've had friends & family there in Perth coming to watch him play.
Never heard anything implied other than hamstring strain?

The 36ers lack some size at guard and then need someone to complement DJ or replace him. I think Johnson, Jacobsen, Hodgson and Majok is too light. Other teams have Knight, Jervis, Pledger, Maric, Ogilvy - experienced guys who can anchor their team. Three of them changed teams in the last couple of years.

I think we could've kept Burston when we had him as he is in that mould.

Reply #606498 | Report this post

Master Chief  
Years ago

Adelaide's defence has been average for a long time now. They're capable of locking down when it counts sometimes, but in this league you really need to have the ability to grind it out and weather the storm when your opposition gets on a role.

I can't understand Adelaide's perimeter defence. It's just all too easy for opposition to find open shooters. We just always seem to get burnt from the perimeter. Shane Heal made a comment during the game if you're struggling to score then just play against Adelaide to get yourself going or something like that.

Slightly off topic but does Ferguson need to play more ? What was the point of bringing this guy over in a season where Adelaide needed serious production from it's third import. I've seen one play this season where Ferguson has been on the end of something just resembling ball movement with the aim to find shooters. Ferguson and Drmic need to start getting on the end of some better ball movement with Randle ability to get to the rim and attract defenders. The purpose isn't there for them is all.

Reply #606513 | Report this post

Master Chief  
Years ago

Hendo8888, It's fair enough that we probably haven't got the same level of individual defensive ability that most other teams probably do but the question is still who is ultimately responsible for organising it and improving it ? Joey Wright.

Reply #606514 | Report this post

Zodiac  
Years ago

Never heard anything implied other than hamstring strain?

It was posted by someone on here that he was held out for disciplinary reasons. I do hope that isn't true but assumed the person must've had a source who knew the score.

Sounded like a strange thing to make up especially as we've never had any issues with DJ in that area that I'm aware of.

Reply #606525 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 8:34 pm, Thu 28 Mar 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754