Anonymous
Years ago

Ferguson hurt draft stock by choosing NBL: NBA GM

Ferguson would've probably ended up in the same category as Monk had he decided to keep his commitment to Arizona, but financial pressures and questions about his eligibility led him to play pro ball in Australia this year. Still, he's riding some good will from a dominant performance at the Nike Hoop Summit. If he can keep shooting the lights out in Australia and in workouts, he could sneak back into the lottery.

"I loved Ferguson at the Hoop Summit," one NBA GM said. "Deep range, silky stroke. Confident. I don't like his decision to play in Australia. It's a good league, but I feel like he cost himself 10 to 15 spots in the draft because of it."

From ESPN.com insider article on 2017 draft prospects

Topic #40221 | Report this topic

Anonymous  
Years ago

thats rubbish he will be much more NBA ready playing against men than if he was at college.

Reply #606134 | Report this post

Zodiac  
Years ago

I disagree with that analysis. Jennings struggled in Italy and Mudiay didn't set the world on fire in China either and if anything it improved both of their stocks coming out of high school.

Even if Ferguson keeps playing the way he is, keeps his head down working hard and doesn't start publicly complaining about his role or anything will only improve his stock having played against big bodied pro veteran men. Scouts rate all that very highly much more so than raw numbers.

Reply #606167 | Report this post

Luuuc  
Years ago

He probably did cost himself a higher draft position. I agree with that part. But he'll be a better prepared player, and that's a better thing IMO.

Reply #606171 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

If he keeps shooting 41% on threes, and keeps his head down as Zodiac said, I don't think he'll hurt his chances.

I like his attitude, he took the suspension on the chin, has said publicly the league is much tougher than he thought and he is embracing the challenge of getting better.

If that's a reflection of him as a person then I think he's got a great chance of being a much-improved player by the end of the season.

Reply #606172 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

Of course it's all guess, we'll never know how he would have performed in college, we don't know what he'll be playing like by later in the NBL season, and we don't know how he'll perform in NBA workouts, which will be a major factor.

Reply #606173 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Well id certainly trust the opinion of some Hoops bloggers over a NBA scout or GM haha OFCOURSE this was always a massive risk for his stocks. Joey wouldve sold him on the 'you will be the man, we will make sure you get your stats' angle, reality is a bitch though. He isnt anything that isnt already floating around the NCAA and high schools. Guess that quick cash was too much to turn down, and you cant argue that from his point of view and that of his family.

Reply #606195 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 1:48 pm, Wed 24 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754