Anonymous
Years ago

Best one on one scorers in NBL history - Randle?

That was one heck of a performance last night. Pretty much carried the team on his back offensively. I know we've had a lot of great players in this league but I don't remember anyone better where you can just clear out the floor and give him the ball to score over and over again.

Even a guy like gaze i classify more as a team system scorer, cutting running off screens, both on and off ball.

Has there been anyone better than Randle in the one on one game? Very efficient too not just a chucker.

Topic #40225 | Report this topic

Cram  
Years ago

Standard answers of Copes and D-Train. I had the pleasure of watching about half of Copelands games in person and the guy could get his shot off against anyone .

I havent really seen Randle but he'd have to be special to be better than LC

Reply #606160 | Report this post

ROFLcopter  
Years ago

The NBL doesn't have that many guys who can shoot lights out of the dribble.
Randle, Lisch and Goulding come to mind...who else...Cadee?

Reply #606161 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

Trice, Beal, Clarke and Webster when they're going. Abercrombie's got a nice pull-up but he winds into it, same with Prather this season.

Reply #606165 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

I'm of the belief that it's almost impossible to differentiate between the all-time greats, but I can confidently say Randle is in the top echelon we've ever seen. He reminds me of Bobby Locke a little bit.

Reply #606166 | Report this post

Zodiac  
Years ago

Randle's better than Copeland and anyone going around in the league at the moment but I think he probably needs to put a bit more meat on the bone to get to a Robert Rose level.

What makes it so unique what we're seeing from Randle is the incredibly high percentage he's shooting from the field this season.

Reply #606169 | Report this post

Train  
Years ago

Derek Rucker and Rob Rose would have to be in contention.

Reply #606180 | Report this post

LV  
Years ago

Randle has to be right up there. Not sure who's "best". Probably Gaze- he did get plenty of points coming off screens and through back cuts and knowing the system back to front... But he scored in every way humanly possible!

Reply #606187 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Ebi Ere.

Reply #606194 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Ebi ere, thats cute. Randle in this era by far, doesnt make him a winner, but individually he is a professional scorer.

Reply #606197 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Rose was more of an all around player from memory although he did have some big scoring nights.

Reply #606204 | Report this post

sixteisrockstar  
Years ago

Agree with above about Rob Rose. Watched him take apart games even when triple and quadruple teamed at the death. Another is Willie Farley. One on one with his turn around jumper, and when he was on a fast break, no defender between him and the rim ever stopped him, he was so good at turning his body, changing hands and protecting the ball. I lost count at the number of broken ankles he caused.

Reply #606206 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

What a crock. Go back to the games when someone scored 70+. Al Green.
Bobby Locke. Gaze obviously. Paul Stanley. Pearce.
Randle is a flash in the pan. Ebi, Rucker and please don't mention Caddee in that category.

Reply #606297 | Report this post

Dazz  
Years ago

Don't know why people have to spoil things with GOAT claims?
Randle is a great scorer. As I said, carried that team on his shoulders. (Although we should temper that a bit by acknowledging that last night he was guarded by a DP with foul trouble).

But not even close to the greats.

He also benefits by being the designated PG, and having the green-light to back himself.

Do other teams target him?
Cos it seems to me that playing against Adelaide your number one priority should be to get him into foul trouble.

Reply #606430 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

There has been no one clearly better, Randle can get his shot off at any time against the best defences and he usually makes it. If he'd played in the time of semi-professional teams he probably would have challenged the league scoring record.

Reply #606432 | Report this post

koberulz  
Years ago

TBH I think he's a touch overrated. Takes way too many pull-up long twos for my liking, a lot of which come with ample time still on the shot clock.

I haven't ever actually gone through and counted, but it seems like most of his shots occur between the three-point line and the top of the key (or the equivalent distance inside the arc elsewhere on the floor).

The lines aren't there for decoration.

Reply #606435 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

He does take long twos but they go through the net. Nothing overrated about that!

Reply #606442 | Report this post

koberulz  
Years ago

If he'd step back half an inch he'd get an extra point.

I think he had four or five of them in their home game against Melbourne. They cut the margin to five.

They lost by three last night, and I saw at least two of them (and they're harder to see live than on TV).

Reply #606443 | Report this post

Zodiac  
Years ago

Hang on are you actually knocking Randle for shooting 56% from the field this season?

Reply #606445 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

He shoots 31% on threes and 67% on twos above the FT line. If he took a step back he probably ends up with two less points!

Reply #606452 | Report this post

koberulz  
Years ago

It's not even a step, most of the time it's literally just a toe. Shooting percentage doesn't work like that.

Reply #606453 | Report this post

koberulz  
Years ago

Hang on are you actually knocking Randle for shooting 56% from the field this season?
No?

Reply #606455 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

Regardless, he averages 26ppg at 56% because he goes to his strengths, one of which is not three-point shooting.

Reply #606457 | Report this post

koberulz  
Years ago

His percentage isn't going to go down any if he steps back half an inch. I'm talking about shots he's taking where his back foot is well behind the line.

Percentages don't drop that much over that distance generally; one presumes there's also a difference between the types of looks he's getting at those distances.

Reply #606459 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

Well they do seems to drop. From 67% to 31%!! Regardless of where his toe may be, he is still an incredible one-on-one scorer.

Reply #606460 | Report this post

Zodiac  
Years ago

No?

I thought I read you said he was a touch overrated and shot too many long two's for your liking, my mistake!

Reply #606461 | Report this post

koberulz  
Years ago

I didn't say anything about his shooting percentage.

Reply #606469 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Carlos Powell?

Reply #606475 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

When you're shooting off the dribble a lot of it is about rhythm and how the D reacts. It's not always easy to pick exactly where you want to shoot from

Reply #606476 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Sydney Kings or Bullets Ebi not 36ers Ebi.

Randy Rutherford also in his day

Reply #606497 | Report this post

lawsy  
Years ago

I've been watching Nbl for 20 years, and he is without question in the top 5 best scorers this league has seen. He is basically unstoppable one on one. Some other guys I think of when I think beast scorers, unstoppable and can just take over a game

- Derek Rucker
- Steve Woodberry

His in that class

Reply #606501 | Report this post

Matt Ryan  
Years ago

Would anyone add Leeroy Loggins to the list?

Reply #606511 | Report this post

PeterJohn  
Years ago

Randle is extraordinary. One of the things that I think is impressive is that teams and coaches have had a season to work him out and he's still unstoppable one on one. There've been other players who had great debut seasons and then got worked out (Rucker was never as dominant offensively as in his first season, I reckon) and others who were offensively unstoppable for a season or so and didn't play NBL again (Chris Williams, Julius Hodge). But Randle keeps beating defenders week after week, a quarter of the way through his second season. He's worth the price of admission and then some. Fantastic for the league.

Dwayne McLain used to be talked about as being similarly unstoppable one on one but I only saw him play a couple of times.

paul - Bobby Locke's 50 pt game on debut (the day after landing in Australia, IIRC) was amazing! Good call.

Reply #606638 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 6:23 pm, Thu 18 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754