Do they actually consider firing DD?

Topic #40230 | Report this topic

ROFLcopter  
Years ago

DD is the #1 problem. Has to go.

Reply #606241 | Report this post

AKA  
Years ago

The problem is Vince Crevelli. A decent GM would have DD gone a long time ago! The fish rots at the head and it starts with Vince. I assume his friendship with LK will make his job a lot more secure than it should be!

Reply #606248 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Let's not forget they're missing their starting sg and SF. In an even comp, that's not easy to overcome

Reply #606255 | Report this post

AKA  
Years ago

Agreed in that a healthy Goulding, Blanchfield and Barlow make a big difference, although I think the issues lie deeper than the talent on the court.

Reply #606259 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Who would you get if you got rid of DD? I noted dmac was commentating the other night he could be keen

Reply #606261 | Report this post

AKA  
Years ago

Is Shawn Dennis available??

Reply #606264 | Report this post

lawsy  
Years ago

Their imports are shit. Goulding missing doesn't help. Ur paying Ced Jackson $200k to give 6 pts and 2 assist- that's a problem

Reply #606276 | Report this post

LV  
Years ago

Sack the coach.

I've been saying that since round 1. Shane Heal and others have just caught onto the issues I've been complaining about for four weeks.

Should've for Vickerman. Right now, Dennis might be best available

Reply #606284 | Report this post

Hoopie  
Years ago

Fire DD and leave Jackson at the end of the bench until he learns to set up his team mates instead of trying to peddle his s$&t which just isn't working.

If Jackson hasn't earned his starting spot by January then go find someone who's a better team player.

Reply #606291 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Is Tomlinson still Co captain? That's part of the problem.

Reply #606299 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Cedric Jackson is the problem, he's a post player that shoots 30% from the field and 45% from the free throw line. Taking every match up personal, but only on his offensive side, its killing them.

Their problems are internal. Firing DD could be the case, but hard for him when the players don't play for him. They wanted him gone after last season, Vince wanted him and won't get rid of him, its his bed he has to sleep in it.

Also, wasn't depth supposed be good for them, so they should be able to cover for those guys thats injured.

The league is close, they still my have a chance, but it will be tough with the loss to the hawks, drops them to last with sydney coming to town and Goulding & Blanchield still out.

The next 4 games at home may help.

Reply #606303 | Report this post

LV  
Years ago

Putting aside DD for a minute- cos Ive been going on about that for ages.

Would any NBL team keep winning games if they lost

- Their top scorer
- Another starter
-A quality player off the bench (Barlow was starting for the whole 2014/15 season and looked ok in pre season).

Take Prather out of Perth's lineup and tell me how you think they'd be going. Randle and Adelaide likewise. (Well, we did see what happened there last season- from playoff certainty and many people rating their championship hopes, to missing the playoffs).

Yes, Goulding had a poor start to the season but he was getting better with every game and just starting to play himself into form when he went down.

Reply #606320 | Report this post

LV  
Years ago

Take Harris out of Illawarra's line up and they'd be living much further up struggle street.

Andersen is a system guy, Jackson is having a poor season and is finding it hard getting to the hole and posting up when the team is missing 3 elite outside shooters and the floor isn't spaced. Goulding is the best scorer on the team and the guy who most regularly break them out of a funk when things aren't working well.

Reply #606333 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

LV....this thread is titled how do you fix United's problems. Perhaps you should start a "What excuses can United leverage off" thread?

Reply #606335 | Report this post

Manu Feildel  
Years ago

Cairns beat the league's best last night without their best import (arguably best player) and a starter

Reply #606338 | Report this post

Zodiac  
Years ago

I don't think MU's injury woes hold much weight. They're really only missing Goulding & Blanchfield as Barlow missed all of last season too and is only a role player these days anyway.

As per Cairns last night and the 36ers were missing their 2nd & 3rd best players and still almost beat the champs on their home court.

The main issues are the coaching from DD and the under-performing play of their three imports. Jackson especially has been bad and if DD gets fired I wouldn't be surprised if he gets axed too.

A lot of his glaring weaknesses were hidden well in the set up at the Breakers like being a poor shooter, poor shot selection, often trying to makes passes that aren't there, taking match ups too personally and sulking. In a team oriented veteran group with a strong coaching foundation a lot of that was kept in check but now without all that it's being exposed.

Ramone Moore too hasn't been much and DW has only today finally be given a chance to do something this season. If anything I think DW shows the most promise of their imports.

Reply #606342 | Report this post

Tom  
Years ago

If you don't have your PG CJ buying in to whatever you are trying to achieve then Melbourne are a bunch of individuals. Coach wants to play some sort of 10 man rotation I suppose to keep players happy, without first establishing a structure offensively that everyone has bought into.
Looks to me as though coach T wants to control too much instead of letting players play and licence to express themselves.
Goulding is a free spirit and on his day can win you games but he can also hurt you as well.
They need to sort out their game philosophy.

Reply #606343 | Report this post

LV  
Years ago

@ Manu that's just a semantic, technical point. We all know Wortho is a far superior player to Loughton at this point, even if Loughton was starting before being injured.

Another thought experiment- take the three best three point shooters out of any NBL team, and how many games do they win?

I'm not deflecting- DD has to go, I've said that so many times, I even drafted (but didnt send) a long email to Vince Crivelli 4 weeks ago on this.

But- I don't expect them to win games with a roster that's savaged this badly by injuries. I am frustrated by *how* it's happening, the lack of cohesion, the poor body language and apparent lack of buy in from the players, the boneheaded and absurd substitutions being made. So yes, DD takes the blame.

But- if you think they can't recover from 3-6 (or 3-7 if they lose to Sydney which they probably will) then you haven't spent enough time watching sport, and you're underestimating how much better they will be once they have, you know, three quarters of their wing rotation on the court.

Reply #606345 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

"Would any NBL team keep winning games if they lost

- Their top scorer
- Another starter
-A quality player off the bench (Barlow was starting for the whole 2014/15 season and looked ok in pre season)."

Agree with LV on this. Yes you could still win games, but long term teams will struggle with lots of key players out. Its like when people say Wildcats are nothing without Damo and Kenny because of their struggles without them. No ****. Most teams would struggle missing 2 keys players like that and playing 3rd and 4th string DP's at the PG position. MU are the same, missing key players obviously makes things harder for a team.

I agree DD needs to go, but would like to see what a better coach could do with that list before any huge changes are made. On paper they have a great list (granted some are struggling this year), they could improve greatly under the right coach and system.

Reply #606346 | Report this post

Jack Toft  
Years ago

focus on next season.

Put a fork in them, they're done like a Sunday roast

Reply #606347 | Report this post

LV  
Years ago

Again, let me preface this by saying that I do want DD to go (As I've said 50 times)

But, we can't lose perspective. The *facts* about this weekend are:

- Melbourne were missing Blanchfield, Goulding and Barlow. That's their 3 best outside shooters. Three quarters of their wing rotation. Most significantly, their leading scorer and best player from last season (Goulding).

- They played two full strength opponents. Woodside and Harris had injuries very late in each respective contest, but neither team was actually missing anyone.

- They lost in Overtime on Friday, and lost a very competitive game today when the Hawks took control with less than 3 minutes to go, grabbing a 9 point lead with 2 to go.

They're 3-6 in a league where only two teams have a positive win loss record. They're hardly done.

#Perspective.

Reply #606349 | Report this post

Manu Feildel  
Years ago

LV, I'd argue Tai Wesley is better than Majok

Reply #606351 | Report this post

Manu Feildel  
Years ago

But no, of course I get your point.

Reply #606355 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

LV you can't even factor in Barlow seeing as he has never played a game of any significance for MU.

Reply #606356 | Report this post

koberulz  
Years ago

TBH I think they need a complete cleanout. Coaching staff and players. The culture there is just awful; dropping a new coach in might have helped a year ago, but I think it's too late now.

Reply #606359 | Report this post

ROFLcopter  
Years ago

+1

Barlow is only a United player on paper. Can't even be in the discussion

Reply #606360 | Report this post

LV  
Years ago

Tai Wesley might be better than Majok (And so might Ramone Moore....), but it's irrelevant since they play different roles. The Wortho/Loughton thing is a case of two similar players who play the same role in the team, where the coach chose to have a much better player come off the bench for whatever reason.

Point is, Blanchfield is legitimately one of United's best 5 players. Of the group of 4 wing players at Melbourne, he's probably their best perimeter defender, and he's also a great catch and shoot outside shooter (amongst other things).

For those saying Barlow doesn't count, that's nonsensical. He trained over the off season, trained in the pre season and then played many pre season games. He was absolutely in DD and United's plans for this season, he is one of their 11 man roster and is on the payroll, and is reportedly coming back this week. Bennie Lewis (a much lesser player) has been his replacement so there is no doubt that United has suffered from his absence.

Reply #606369 | Report this post

LV  
Years ago

@Manu just saw your next post.

The point of all of this- Melbourne has been hit horribly by injuries this season. Therefore, it is just plain silly to write them off. Before the major injuries to Goulding, they were travelling along quite well.

Reply #606370 | Report this post

Manu Feildel  
Years ago

Yeah I agree, wasn't actually being sarcastic. A rarity on this forum.

I do think that even without Goulding, Barlow and Blanchfield they should be winning more than not. It's just that they seem to have no plan to follow. Some Jackson/any big man high screens would be a start.

Reply #606373 | Report this post

cats 4 life  
Years ago

Ahh lv, get over it dude, with the player's not plying. the team is crap, the whole United brand is. every team has injuries.

get over yourself please, it's the attitude the problem not the player's, just look back to the crocodiles last season. punched above there weight every game.

no heart no balls

Reply #606374 | Report this post

Manu Feildel  
Years ago

And consistent minutes for players. It's no secret that players need time on court to find a rhythm. Case in point Ced and Dev today when they played longer stints than usual.

Reply #606375 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

I think Melbourne need to ride out the storm. They have the talent to put lots of wins together once everyone is back, and indeed had won three straight before injuries struck.

A few weeks ago people were saying NZ and Cairns needed to make changes, all of a sudden they are both on a roll. GMs need to operate at a level well above fans who ride the roller coaster through the season.

Reply #606376 | Report this post

LV  
Years ago

Agree that they need to ride out the storm and even if DD remains I still expect them to be top 4.

But- you're spot on Manu. Gotta give your players extended time to allow them to find rhythm. DD is just SO reactive. Fix that, and put more variety and off ball movement into the offense and I could tolerate DD. Those two are fairly fatal weaknesses for a coach though. (Oh and his time outs never fill one with confidence)

Reply #606379 | Report this post

koberulz  
Years ago

People have been calling for Demopoulos's head since half-way through last season; I don't think it can really be compared to Cairns and NZ.

I mean, we're talking about a guy who's got his starting point guard dragged twice in as many weeks by rushing onto the floor to help him up for no reason, tried to sub out a guy who was already on the bench, and done enough other things to make it quite clear these aren't simply lapses.

Between that and the body language of the entire team, he has to go.

Reply #606380 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

I don't rate him highly as a coach, but he did coach Melbourne to the minor premiership last season, so there is no reason they can't get rolling again this year under his watch.

Any GM that makes changes based on performances with key players out is out of their depth.

Reply #606383 | Report this post

ROFLcopter  
Years ago

Be fucked.

DD is a bum. Even a casual observer would note the players aren't playing for him....

He will go. Hopefully tomorrow.

Reply #606387 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

The coach is unable to utilise his players talents, even at full strength. His offensive schemes make Gleeson (2 time champion Flog) look like an offensive savant.

Can they still make some noise, of course, crazy to question that.

Reply #606390 | Report this post

koberulz  
Years ago

I don't rate him highly as a coach, but he did coach Melbourne to the minor premiership last season
With some pretty favourable scheduling and officiating, and a ridiculous amount of individual talent.

Reply #606391 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

Sorry mate, can't agree with that. They played 14 home, 14 away, four against every opponent, and certainly didn't have talent better than any of the other top teams.

In fact if you look at the overall game and not just scoring they were probably behind Perth and NZ for talent.

Reply #606394 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

The only way I'd make a coaching move if I was Melbourne would be if their key players aren't happy and there is a high-quality replacement ready to go right now.

Reply #606399 | Report this post

ME  
Years ago

I'm hearing that Cedric Jackson is gone for terrible attitude, and DD and Williams are gone for obvious reasons. I am getting this from a second hand source, but this source is fairly reliable.

Reply #606401 | Report this post

koberulz  
Years ago

Sorry mate, can't agree with that. They played 14 home, 14 away, four against every opponent
They got off to a 9-0 start almost entirely at home, one an absolute gift from the most incompetent officiating since the 1972 Olympics, which gave them a huge amount of confidence.

Winning has a way of hiding the sorts of issues we're now seeing, in terms of chemistry. If they don't get off to that start, I don't think they go nearly as well.

Reply #606402 | Report this post

koberulz  
Years ago

Boti was implying a few things about Jackson's attitude on Twitter pre-game.

Reply #606403 | Report this post

LV  
Years ago

That's fair Paul. I assume part A is already the case- the players don't look like they're "getting the message".

But, If Shawn Dennis is not available and they can't find anyone else that is highly rated, then don't make a change just for the sake of it. In hindsight, in 14/15 they would've been better off with Anstey than Dmac. Cos 12/13 and 13/14 were more acceptable seasons than 14/15 imo, so perhaps they pulled the trigger without having a good option.

United was lucky to get minor prem last year, and results fell away as other teams worked out the team was fairly one dimensional. So maybe letting Vickerman go to Sydney was the real mistake here.

Reply #606405 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

Melbourne got a great start, but they had a rough patch in the middle, were they brittle there's no way they bounce back, beat Perth and Illawarra four times (including two on the road) in quick succession and lock up top spot.

Reply #606408 | Report this post

koberulz  
Years ago

There's different degrees of brittle.

I wonder if the absolute spanking they got in the semis is having a disproportionate effect.

Reply #606412 | Report this post

Train  
Years ago

"I'm hearing that Cedric Jackson is gone for terrible attitude"

I was thinking there might be issues with Jackson. There looked to be tension between him and some of the players/DD. This is purely speculation but maybe there were problems when he was with the Breakers also. There were those rumours that were going around last year s who knows.

Reply #606414 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

The physical spanking they got in the SFs certainly had a big impact on their recruiting. I'm interested to see how this team clicks, but we may not get the chance.

Reply #606421 | Report this post

koberulz  
Years ago

I didn't mean their recruiting, I meant their attitude. That may have been the thing that finally cracked them.

Whatever happened, the incident between Andersen and Moore today wasn't a good look. Demopolous whinging about one of the most blatant travels ever wasn't a good look. In general, the entire team just seems to whinge a lot.

Could be Demoplous's influence, could be chemistry, could be any number of things, but they don't look like they're going to click, ever.

Reply #606425 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

Maybe, but I don't think that has much influence on Jackson, Andersen, Moore and Wesley, so I doubt it.

They certainly aren't looking like a team that's riding the storm at the moment. Jackson needs to be the leader and he seems disinterested.

Reply #606431 | Report this post

koberulz  
Years ago

Maybe, but I don't think that has much influence on Jackson, Andersen, Moore and Wesley, so I doubt it.
Might affect how the rest of the team treats two of the four (who seem like they're there for nothing more than a paycheck).

Reply #606433 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Demopoulos has to go surely. I know Goulding and Blanchfield have been out but the coaching has been a factor in them losing the 2 games over the weekend. The technical foul today was ridiculous and the subbing has been questionable at best. Heal and Rosen were on the money with what they were saying.
Playing wise - Jackson has had a shit attitude however I would give him a chance under a new coach. United signed him for 2 years as well. Williams has no confidence however it is hard when you hardly get minutes. He showed he can play today. Would love to see Andersen get more touches inside as well.
United have no chemistry and I think the club needs a culture change.

Reply #606447 | Report this post

Zodiac  
Years ago

MU actually only signed Cedric for 1 year and I bet their thanking the basketball gods right now he didn't sign for more.

Reply #606449 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

If United dump Jackson, one of Adelaide or Illawarra should grab him and try to get him on track.

Reply #606477 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Paul, I'm not sure about your comment about not making decisions based on results whilst key players are out.

Adversity is a good test of your team's fabric and I see united splintering. It's funny because the results in and of themselves since cg43 went down aren't that bad. Close losses to Perth and new Zealand and an average performance against Illawarra. But the body language and performance have just given a very bad signal. Chemistry seems way off

Reply #606478 | Report this post

LV  
Years ago

Herald Sun and Age said Jackson signed for 2. United website said signed for "upcoming season", so let's assume 1.

Goulding and DA were 2 years.

Reply #606481 | Report this post

Zodiac  
Years ago

Yes, when first reported Cedric was going to sign with MU it was reported everywhere that it was 2 years.

If it was 2 years MU would've said so in the announcement it only said for this season.

MU would have a much better idea of how many years he signed for than the media would.

Reply #606484 | Report this post

koberulz  
Years ago

Saying he's signed for the upcoming season doesn't necessarily mean it's a one year deal.

Reply #606486 | Report this post

Zodiac  
Years ago

No it doesn't but if like the 99.9% of multi-year deals that are announced as such by their teams it would make no sense for MU to tell their fan base he only signed for 1 year when in fact he signed for 2 years.

Reading between the lines he probably got a 2 year agreement out of MU (media reports) but then decided to only sign for one year banking on himself to elevate his stock even higher this season to get an even better deal out of them or another team after this season.

Reply #606487 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Haven't NZ beaten Melbourne in eight straight games now?

Reply #606489 | Report this post

Dazz  
Years ago

No expert on MU that's for sure, but a few observations:
With player turnover, it can be difficult to hit upon the right mix and chemistry. Sydney have overloaded on talent, and even there are not invulnerable. Look around at the other teams, and see that many new guys are struggling to fit in.
So yes, getting Goulding and Blanchfield back will make a big difference, not just in terms of their contribution, but their familiarity.

Some of the players they chase, just leave me wondering.
Cedric Jackson has been one of the premier PG's in the NBL, but even last years it was apparent he was on the way down.

They had a good line-up last season. Don't know the individual stories, but its a pity they couldn't keep Kickett, Warwick, or Holt.

Reply #606493 | Report this post

Steve  
Years ago

DD, Jackson and Tomlinson need to go. Bad attitudes and chemistry not helping.
Majok played 15 minutes (zero rebounds) and Wesley 17 minutes off the bench. And Tomlinson 27 minutes. And Odigie a starter?
Players (starters) cant get into a groove when being subbed out after 2 minutes.

Reply #606495 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Last on the ladder and their upcoming games are:

vs Kings (1st)
vs Taipans (4th)
vs Kings (1st)
vs Breakers (3rd)
at Wildcats (2nd)
at Kings (1st)

Reply #606500 | Report this post

LV  
Years ago

They'll have to play their best game of the season to beat Sydney. But there's no logical reason to be overly worried about any other team.

United has played Cairns, NZ (twice) and Perth and lost 4 games by 8 points or less, including one in OT. 3 of those 4 games were without Goulding.

Reply #606504 | Report this post

Master Chief  
Years ago

Isaac, do you mean if MU dump Jackson this season ? The only issue with that is who would he replace ?

Obviously not Randle, Ferguson probably won't be cut under any circumstances (although he's the weakest link given we can cover sf/sg) and Jacobsen is giving us everything we hoped he would.

Reply #606519 | Report this post

PeterJohn  
Years ago

with reference to paul's "rough patch" comment, Melbourne went 2W-7L in the six weeks from 13 November to Christmas Day, last season. You can't write them out of contention at 3-6 with good players to return.

The difference this seasons is that the team appears to be internally fraught and the coach can't get them on the same page. However, that sounds like NZ in the middle of last season, when they went 1W-7L from 20 December to 23 January. NZ were able to fix that and turn it into a grand final appearance. Interestingly, Jackson was a key part of the problem there, as well.

You'd probably change the player before changing the coach but you'd need a good replacement ready to swap in. Otherwise you're probably going to lose some more before you get back on track. It may be too late to recover and make finals, by then. NZ got at least a bit lucky to still make finals last season, after their rough patch, in light of Randle's injury.

Reply #606651 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 9:35 pm, Thu 18 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754