koberulz
Years ago

NBL's Latest Failure - Confidential Salaries

First we had the website which they improved by increasing loading times and removing the menu from the mobile version and all the past stats.

Then we had NBL TV, which they improved by not having games load at all.

And the TV production, which they improved by broadcasting every second play from a camera set up in the corner, and obscuring every other play with replays.

And now, the salary cap, which they've improved by getting rid of it, without instituting the accountability measures they promoted:

The NBL changed its salary cap set up this year from a "hard cap" of $1 million to a “soft cap” of $1.1 million, meaning teams may exceed the soft cap provided that they pay a salary equalisation subsidy.

However this is a discretionary fund the NBL holds for required spending

In addition, the NBL has a deemed value for every player in the league.

This value is currently confidential

Why should we ever take them seriously? They've failed to follow through time and time again. Every single thing they've promoted has been worse than what was previously in place.

Topic #40233 | Report this topic

koberulz  
Years ago

Reply #606354 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Yes. You are doing a Dazz. Stating the obvious.

Reply #606358 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Jeez, glass half empty? The NBL is a great product this year, only getting better. I'm happy to give them the time to iron out some of these problems

Reply #606363 | Report this post

koberulz  
Years ago

The on-court product is fantastic, yes. The NBL office has no real control over that.

But if Sydney can put together this roster without paying tax - or if the tax doesn't go to poorer clubs - that won't be the case much longer.

Reply #606364 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Go to the nbl then won't do much going over the same stuff on this forum. We are all aware of the deficiencies, put your hat in the ring perhaps and hel them out.

Reply #606367 | Report this post

ME  
Years ago

Some trademark moaning by Koberulz. Who cares if you don't know how much money other people are making for playing basketball? Is it really our business? What matters is that we keep bring new talent into the league and retaining the talent we have.

Reply #606371 | Report this post

koberulz  
Years ago

What matters is that the NBL has made a handful of major announcements over the past two years, and has failed to deliver on each and every one.

If they'd never promised to announce salaries, I wouldn't care that they're not announcing salaries. But they did, and they aren't.

Which also skims over the other point raised in that article - luxury tax isn't necessarily going to the lower-budget teams, it could go anywhere.

Reply #606377 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

if Melbourne and Sydney's salaries were public people would have kittens

Reply #606404 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Go down to the headquarters and get them sorted koberulz. Bringing it up here does what exactly, at this point?

Reply #606418 | Report this post

Dazz  
Years ago

Ah, Fuckwit anonytrolls, where would we be without them...
Seriously, in a situation that guarantees you complete actual anonymity, if you can't even have the balls or courtesy to identify your posts, don't expect to be taken even semi-seriously.

Reply #606434 | Report this post

koberulz  
Years ago

Go down to the headquarters and get them sorted koberulz. Bringing it up here does what exactly, at this point?
I believe it initiates a discussion. I can see why you might think a discussion forum is the wrong place for that.

Reply #606437 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I don't believe it is just whinging.

KB raises a legitimate point where the NBL have stated they would do those things.

That coupled with the tearing down of the Points system and the NBL's poor record of Salary audits, it does raise legitimate questions as to why they haven't released the figures.

When will they release them and how will they be adjusted?

Reply #606463 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

It's been discussed constantly. Hence it's time for KG to make visit. And dazz go fuck yourself having a go at anons... without anons it's pretty much just you and koberulz...

Reply #606465 | Report this post

koberulz  
Years ago

What's been discussed constantly is that they haven't been published yet. What this article says is that they're confidential.

Not the same thing.

Reply #606468 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Oh dear god, what will we all do now!? Move on champ the league is looking good, focus on the positives. For all you know there was a vote and players etc decided they didn't want such things published. But again drawing negative attention to it is one thing, going in and demanding action is another.

Reply #606470 | Report this post

Tom  
Years ago

People just love giving koberulz trouble. I am 100% agreeing with KBrulz. There's nothing wrong with Sydney putting a great yet expensive team on the floor, but if they are not paying a tax on it to help the lower spending clubs the NBL will be up shit creek in a few years

Reply #606509 | Report this post

Nonanon  
Years ago

Here's another NBL fail - the try hard social media comments about "gettin' paid" and "breaking anklez" when they post a clip. Its turning people off - those who like streetball won't be watching NBL anyway, and those that do watch it don't want to hear some wigga pretend to be Kevin Hart let lose on the keyboard.

Reply #606510 | Report this post

alexkrad  
Years ago

Yeah the NBL social media feeds should drop the OMG ROFL stuff completely, looks really unprofessional.

Reply #606517 | Report this post

Nonanon! I don't mind a bit of homour in the posts but i agree that it's at "Try-hard" levels and it's often cringe-worthy.

Reply #606518 | Report this post

Yup, completely agree with koberulz... They can't make these big announcements and then not deliver and expect people to put up with it... If the anontrolls want to bury their head in the sand and ignore what's in front of them, fine, but don't go complaining when the shit hits the fan...

It's not just a matter of not delivering either... Shit website, I don't go there anymore if I can help it... So many things wrong with it that just common sense could have prevented, but can also fix... So much trouble with NBL.tv I've given up on it and am paying for Fox Sports package...

And now, it's not just the salaries that the NBL made such a big deal about being transparent, etc, but they've gone to confidential and also the tax funds are now discretionary, not automatically earmarked for the struggling teams...

That's not just not delivering, that's changing the rules, and they should held accountable...

For all you know there was a vote and players etc decided they didn't want such things published

If that's the case, that's one thing, but it's not being communicated and it's making them look super unprofessional...

Reply #606534 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

So send all your concerns directly to the NBL!!!!

Reply #606538 | Report this post

Nonanon  
Years ago

What if we've already done that!!!!

Reply #606540 | Report this post

_Strungout_  
Years ago

Spending money on players doesn't guarantee success.

The Kings are putting a good product on the floor and should be favourites to win the title although it won't come easy.

Some of the highest salary teams in the nba this year are the likes of Portland and Detroit.

Give the NBL time to sort some of this stuff out.

Reply #606553 | Report this post

Duke Fan  
Years ago

Just a question. Did the NBL ever say that all player salaries would be released on ?/?/2016 ?

Wouldn't it make more sense, with imports coming and going and injury waivers etc etc etc for the detail to be worked out at the end of the season rather than 6 games in?

So at season's end it can be released that "Team A" spent 2 million for the season and therefore owe 900K luxury tax. "Team B" spent 1.8 million and so on?

If there's no hard cap, no one's cheating by spending whatever they can afford. AS long as they pay up when the final figures are tallied there's no issue

Reply #606554 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Why should the tax go to the other teams? I'm happy for it to go to there general league to help with promotion and growth.

Reply #606603 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Other teams are disadvantaged when one team spends big so I don't mind the $ going there. I do like the idea of a portion being used for extra promotion though. Like maybe put the first extra $20k towards fixing up that disgrace of a league website!

Reply #606605 | Report this post

Dazz  
Years ago

At some point, people have to stop making up excuses (oh the NBL is so wonderful this year) and actually hold LK accountable for his failure to deliver what he promised.
People keep exclaiming "oh the product is so much better!" How so?
Personally I have had no complaints about the general standard of the competition for years.
If I had (or have) any they would be as follows:
- Fixturing. That was a complete debacle last season (under LK & JL)
- Overall standard of reffing. Hasn't improved, and what if anything have they done to address this?
- Web site & stats. Much, much worse since he took over.
- FTA televised games. Has gone from not great on 10, to absolutely woeful on SBS.
- NBL TV. Took it away and replaced it with crap last season, back this year and so far quality is meh.
- Sustainable teams. Crocs folded despite promises that new system would hand them subsidies.
- Points System. Replaced with soft-cap & tax, that so far seems to be a free for all.
- Expansion teams. Finally allowed Brisbane back in (already in the pipeline for years.) Discussion of other new teams has practically died (about from nebulous speculation about "China.") And the opened-ended salary cap has made it that much more difficult.
Plus huge COI in regards to a 2nd Melbourne team.

LK & JL were of course present for the GF decider last year. You'd think, that as the first championship under their reign, they might have made some effort to look like cheerful hosts. Instead they acted like they a had a rattrap on their balls, and couldn't wait to get on the plane back to Melbourne.
The NBL has always been dependent on rich benefactors (for its teams) and one has to appreciate the buckets of his own cash that LK is tipping in, but he needs to stop treating the league as his own personal plaything. Time to become accountable and transparent.

Reply #606609 | Report this post

Kingpodge  
Years ago

Don't forget there is legislation to prohibits the publication of people's salaries.
They'd need to get around that first...

Reply #606635 | Report this post

PeterJohn  
Years ago

Duke Fan - the deemed salaries (whether individual or team totals) are like the old player points. Players' points were published before the season so teams (and NBL) could recruit within the cap. Now they they're just managing their tax.

They couldn't wait to the end of the season under the points' system to find out the champions broke the points' cap and a club doesn't want to wait to the end of the season to get hit with a tax bill that might put the team into the red. So that info is already known. Why wait to the end of the season to publish it?

I can only conclude they now won;t publish, as originally stated in the NBL's press release in March. If so, then fine but it would be nice for some official announcement.

Reply #606654 | Report this post

koberulz  
Years ago

Don't forget there is legislation to prohibits the publication of people's salaries.
They'd need to get around that first...
Was that law passed before or after they announced player salaries would be public?

And does it apply to theoretical salaries? They're not talking about publishing the actual payments, just the value assessed by the league, which is no different to the points cap in prior years.

So basically we have last season's system, except they're not publishing points values anymore.

Reply #606670 | Report this post

Southern Joe  
Years ago

What's the use in publishing a theoretical salary? That's like saying that Player X is on a million a year when who knows what he is really on.

I still think it's too personal to publish individual salaries as it is an invasion of privacy. Even if they were published how many nuffies on here and other sites wwill swear chapter and verse that they know what was published was bullshit.

Best practice (as another poster put it )is to tally up at seasons end and work out who pays what then.

Reply #606674 | Report this post

fstos  
Years ago

Yes they promised to publish "deemed" salaries.

This was meant to be a semi replacement for the points cap with the ability to have multiple levels of separation and allocate the appropriate taxes.

One would assume this arbitrary figure also rules out any advantages that are gained (such as JVG was hinting at in the other thread) of Powell playing for a lot less than you would expect for example.

I agree that taxes can only be allocated at the end of the season but there is NOTHING stopping the NBL reporting on each players deemed salary as soon as they hit the court....well other than the ability to work backwards to get whatever result they wish.

Reply #606675 | Report this post

fstos  
Years ago

FFS SJ. Who cares what the reason is.

How many times do you need to be told that the NBL STATED in releases that these were the rules.

It's an ARBITARY figure for reasons stated in my post.

Reply #606677 | Report this post

KET  
Years ago

http://pages.nbl.com.au/shop/

Probably not worth having an online shop with just one item. That costs $599. With Goulding. (because of course it has to be him)

And yes, it's publicly promoted on the NBL main page.

Reply #607009 | Report this post

koberulz  
Years ago

http://pages.nbl.com.au/shop/sample-page

FFS. Screenshot in case they take it down (click to enlarge):

Amateur hour.

Reply #607014 | Report this post

Dazz  
Years ago

How exactly did LK create a multi-million dollar enterprise?
I tempted to suggest he's just some underworld crime baron, but even that would take better organisation than we see at MU and the NBL.
Pauline Hanson ran her Fish & Chip shop better than this.

Reply #607051 | Report this post

koberulz  
Years ago

Salaries will presumably be published when all teams have played 21 games.

They could've just bloody said that weeks ago.

Reply #607072 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 1:30 am, Sun 21 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754