Jumpshot
Years ago

Kings v Cairns 7/11/2016

This is a real test for the Kings if they are to be genuine contenders this year. Kings on Saturday appeared soft, lacking any aggressiveness or physicality.
If the shots are not happening from the outside, and the refs are calling every little touch (like they did on Saturday), then take it to the rim and get to the foul line.
Cairns don't have Trice, so the Kings should play some Zone-D.
The Kings are a great team on paper, but unless they build a culture of defensive physicality, rebounding and aggressive drives at the rim, they will never beat Perth or be a championship side.
As for Cairns their game plan was great on Saturday. They should continue the same.

Cairns win by 10.

Topic #40236 | Report this topic

AngusH  
Years ago

Could go either way based on Sat night's game, but hopefully Gaze has some counters for what Cairns were doing, especially defending our post-ups. We need to rebound a hell of a lot better too.

We could win by 15 or lose by 10, so I'll meet somewhere near the middle - Kings by 5.

Reply #606524 | Report this post

Train  
Years ago

Will be an interesting game, Cairns need to prove they can win big games on the road and Sydney need to prove they can handle defensive pressure.

Kings should get this game at home but Cairns are full of confidence and I wouldn't be surprised if they got up for the win. Kings by 7.

Reply #606530 | Report this post

I'm concerned about this game like I was about our second game... Hopefully the same result, but it's concerning that the team had such a considerable lapse back to their crap selves... All those soft fouls on Truck didn't help as he was a cornerstone of the D early on, but they need to fight through that and it's not like they don't have other options...

Both teams with a lot to prove and I really have no idea how it's going to turn out...

Reply #606536 | Report this post

Mike  
Years ago

Sydney will have learnt a lot from the loss

Home team is winning 90% of games this season so Kings for mine

Reply #606547 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

* 90% = 69%

Reply #606548 | Report this post

D4444  
Years ago

Mick must have forgotten that he sucks at maths ;-)

Reply #606551 | Report this post

Bballer  
Years ago

Kings need to bench caddee and start Blake , I don't discourage from Jason's season he has been solid but he is not a true PG more of a creative for himself SG kings have enough scorers just need a PG to get them into their sets and find open J's for lisch and caddee, hit Newley when in the lane or cutting the hoop, and set the plays to open up for maric and Powell to go to work. They have the answer but last week he played limited minutes and sat at crucial times. When Blake was in the bench kings were rushed in offence took silly shots and didn't run their sets.

Once again caddee has been good for them but he is not the the best option at PG he would be great coming off the pine for lisch and Blake.

Reply #606614 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Kings very short priced favs.

Reply #606621 | Report this post

AussiePride  
Years ago

Yes, the bookmakers must be taking a lot of money on the Kings. $1.30 on sportsbet now. I thought they were about $1.60 yesterday.

Reply #606630 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

$1.37 earlier today

Reply #606631 | Report this post

LV  
Years ago

Kings by 10.

Reply #606636 | Report this post

Freethrows  
Years ago

Either Cairns by 10, or Kings by 15. I can't see this being close, as the Snakes have had a tendency to fold badly in the late stages of close games.

Reply #606650 | Report this post

Mike  
Years ago

Well I need Sydney to win for my NZ-Perth-Sydney multi to come through.

Should I hedge on Cairns?

Reply #606683 | Report this post

Luuuc  
Years ago

No. Hedging is for wusses.

Reply #606691 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

This luuuc is good

Reply #606693 | Report this post

Mike  
Years ago

Hedging it is

Reply #606697 | Report this post

Luuuc  
Years ago

Boooo!!!

Reply #606701 | Report this post

ROFLcopter  
Years ago

Kings home easily here.

Reply #606704 | Report this post

Zodiac  
Years ago

Game time bala!

Reply #606705 | Report this post

Mike  
Years ago

Newley you moron

Reply #606710 | Report this post

Mike  
Years ago

Powell holding his own down there

Reply #606713 | Report this post

ROFLcopter  
Years ago

Slow start for the kings

Reply #606714 | Report this post

Mike  
Years ago

Why don't they just go to the video and get the calls right?

FFS

Reply #606716 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Can anyone find the banner for Round 5 to get to the Live scores from NBL.com.au?

Chrome - No
IE - No
Android - No.

I don't trust NBL Live app.

Reply #606717 | Report this post

AussiePride  
Years ago

It is on! Massive headlock on Wortho from Maric!!

Reply #606718 | Report this post

Zodiac  
Years ago

Boys will be boys

Reply #606719 | Report this post

Wilson Sting  
Years ago

Cadee, what a wanker. My respect for him has grown this season but it's all gone down the drain with that idiotic play.

Reply #606720 | Report this post

Train  
Years ago

This game just got real interesting!

Reply #606722 | Report this post

Wilson Sting  
Years ago

Whittington by the way was all class by not responding to the original foul.

Reply #606723 | Report this post

Wilson Sting  
Years ago

Kings getting the home cooking, it's like watching Perth in WA.

Reply #606725 | Report this post

Mike  
Years ago

Mr Kevin Delicious everybody

Reply #606727 | Report this post

ROFLcopter  
Years ago

Lol, very entertaining half.

Hopefully a bumper finish!

Reply #606728 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Where are the live scores? Also on the NBL app the play by play keeps going back to the first quarter anyone have that issue?

Reply #606729 | Report this post

AussiePride  
Years ago

I have noticed more than normal this year hard fouls on guys going for potential dunks. I would prefer this to be discouraged for two reasons.
1. It can be dangerous for the dunker
2. It removes some excitement in watching the game

Reply #606730 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Can anyone tell me who is commentating this game

Reply #606731 | Report this post

Years ago

except in Perth you have a crowd of 10,000 strong and here it looks like a crowd of 1,000 strong, bit of a joke where is the support. Cadee is a bit of an over actor. After winning the 3pt contest he seems to be thinking he's a superstar all of a sudden - play your role mate, you're a role player, nothing more.

Reply #606732 | Report this post

ROFLcopter  
Years ago

3. The biffo > the dunk!!

Reply #606733 | Report this post

Years ago

commentators

McBrickhead 1 and McBrickhead 2.

Bring back Homicide.

Reply #606734 | Report this post

ROFLcopter  
Years ago

(Mod: Deleted and banned.)

Reply #606735 | Report this post

ROFLcopter  
Years ago

^^^ lol. That's not me.

I've got an impersonator!

Reply #606737 | Report this post

twenty four  
Years ago

Man, the reffing in this one has been terrible (and terribly pro-Sydney).

Also, can the commentators stop calling Maric 'Truck' all the time please. Getting annoying, especially when they're referring to a bloke who can barely even make a bloody layup.

Reply #606738 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Who are the commentators?

Reply #606739 | Report this post

ROFLcopter  
Years ago

(Mod: Deleted and banned.)

Reply #606740 | Report this post

Years ago

Is there something seriously wrong with this ROFL guy? What's the "Woot woot" supposed to be a reference to?

meanwhile, game is on.

Reply #606743 | Report this post

ROFLcopter  
Years ago

Lol, you clown.

Reply #606752 | Report this post

Years ago

Commentating, why does it matter? They're two AFL meatheads.

Reply #606754 | Report this post

LV  
Years ago

Kings mostly getting it done in transition.

Cairns again doing a good job of disrupting half court sets

Reply #606756 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Blake is washed up. He is not that good anymore.

Reply #606757 | Report this post

Years ago

King's are terrible from 3, terrible.

Reply #606758 | Report this post

Years ago

King's are terrible from 3, terrible.

Reply #606759 | Report this post

LV  
Years ago

Kings have missed a lot of wide open threes. I doubt Gaze would be too concerned that they're 4 points behind.

Reply #606760 | Report this post

MACDUB  
Years ago

Personally I don't see any value in having Blake. He is surplus to requirements.

Don't see any "veteran leadership" reason..Lisch can do that and more.

Reply #606761 | Report this post

Years ago

yeah I don't see the point of them picking up Blake, maybe just opportunity, they had his number and he was willing to come to Aus.

Reply #606763 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Heal has called every game this weekend? Hardest working man in basketball

Reply #606765 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Nice to hear some classic dr Dre being played

Reply #606766 | Report this post

Mike  
Years ago

SYDNEY THEN DAYLIGHT DOE

Reply #606778 | Report this post

ROFLcopter  
Years ago

Lol.

Gliddon with the big 3!!

Reply #606779 | Report this post

Train  
Years ago

That commentator is thrashing the "Outback Shaq" thing a little too much.

Reply #606780 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

This is a great game

Reply #606781 | Report this post

Mike  
Years ago

Cheers Whittington with 2 moronic plays

Gonna cost me my multi

Reply #606782 | Report this post

Luuuc  
Years ago

Shouldn't have hedged, Mike, ya wuss.

Reply #606783 | Report this post

Mike  
Years ago

YESSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS

Reply #606784 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Lisch clutch

Reply #606785 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Lisch is mvp for a reasonn

Reply #606786 | Report this post

Mike  
Years ago

Good old Kevin Delicious

Reply #606787 | Report this post

Wilson Sting  
Years ago

Great game. Lisch and Newley too good. The rest of Sydney not so much.

Reply #606788 | Report this post

ROFLcopter  
Years ago

D Lisch!!!!!

Great entertainment.

Reply #606789 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Be interesting to see what happens with Maric post game.

Reply #606792 | Report this post

SteveK2  
Years ago

Yeah this is starting to turn into a must-see matchup everytime these two meet. Rookie coach struggling with a stacked team vs. an experienced one-team coach getting the best out of his less talented team.

Caught a bit of Speed and Heal talking off-camera about the old Cardiac Kings heh. They're probably not aware that they're mic is still live and streamed. Boy ain'tcha glad guys you weren't talking bad about someone. Would've been hilarious if they said something about Gaze being crap at coaching or how an NBA prospect like Whittington doing stupid thing like fouling Egwu.

Reply #606794 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Any good commentator would know not to use the "OBS" reference.

Reply #606795 | Report this post

AngusH  
Years ago

Great game... compare how Fearne gets Jawai the ball in the post vs. Perth last year - Perth just bring it up, feed Jawai, in comes the double team, repeat. Tonight Cairns wiped out Cadee on screens, swung the ball, and got Jawai on seals... was beautiful to watch even if it was killing me as a Kings fan.

Big buckets by Lisch and Newley, and Whittington had some bonehead plays but also kept us in it at times. Would need to see a replay but live it looked like Maric was getting Worthington out of thw scrap until Fearne came over and escalated it.

Reply #606797 | Report this post

SteveK2  
Years ago

Oh and the customary Josh Powell instagram is already up. Surprising JVG just stood at the door instead of joining in.

Reply #606798 | Report this post

LV  
Years ago

Cracking game. What about that block from Powell!

I'll be laughing my way to the bank when I collect $276 from my $1 bet when these two meet in the GF!

Reply #606799 | Report this post

Mike  
Years ago

Cairns have such a fluid offence, it's beautiful to watch.

Reply #606804 | Report this post

GordonG  
Years ago

And our main offender didn't even play :)

Reply #606811 | Report this post

Mock  
Years ago

SYDNEY MUST BE STOPPED! they should NOT be allowed to just keep adding nba STUDS to their lineup even though Andrew Gaze could not coach a dog to piss on a tree.

What's next, Prewster gets replaced by jimmer and KG is yelling ANYTHING AT POSSIBLE at another dopey half-full Sydney crowd!? it is MADNESS!

Reply #606813 | Report this post

Rabbit 51  
Years ago

Still frustrating to see key bench players that could make a difference for the Sydney team benched for entire games. Jeromie Hill has been on full contract and has sat out the past three games for no reason other than there was no use for him. Him and Moller might have made a difference in these Cairns games after the bigs were getting in trouble.

Reply #606815 | Report this post

lawsy  
Years ago

The roster is too stacked! Remember people's, we have Jules to come back- where the hell does he play? I'd seriously consider releasing him and let him play somewhere else where he will be utilized

Reply #606835 | Report this post

AngusH  
Years ago

Only way Hill gets minutes is at the expense of Tommy... which is not to say that I'm necessarily against that idea (although he's been largely OK). Not sure if Hill is signed beyond this year, but I would not be shocked to see him go some place like Cairns where I reckon he'd be a lock for big minutes.

Reply #606838 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Hill scored 19 points in the loss to Brisbane in the first round and Moller was instrumental in the closing the gap at one stage, neither have been seen since. This could bite the kings in the arse late in the season. Commentators saying Prewster got the 11th spot but not seen as well, though he is very average but is he is a guard so could balance the team better..

Reply #606841 | Report this post

GordonG  
Years ago

You can't think Gaze rates Jeromie too highly when he doesn't even give him any minutes playing in his home town of Cairns...

Reply #606845 | Report this post

Rabbit 51  
Years ago

Jeromie is also the only player (aside from Khazzouh who is not playing) that was "grandfathered" into the team this year due to contract. He wasn't actually picked by these coaches, but by previous management. Could this be a factor in Gaze not giving him minutes?

Reply #606849 | Report this post

AngusH  
Years ago

Prewster saw a few mins last night. He can slot in at the 2 or 3 spot, where as Hill is the exact same as Garlepp - a 3/4 blend. That's the issue - it has less to do with Hill than it does with getting Tommy minutes, IMO.

Reply #606860 | Report this post

Manu Feildel  
Years ago

Anyone else on the Edwin train? Dude is turning out to be a gem (apart from that weak ass drove in the final minute). Not an explosive athlete but a solid contributor in multiple areas. Better for us than Craig was

Reply #606862 | Report this post

AngusH  
Years ago

Edwin has really turned it on the last couple of rounds. I'd still take Craig over him at this stage though.

Reply #606868 | Report this post

Manu Feildel  
Years ago

Craig was too inconsistent for us. He took games off on both ends and he couldn't stretch out in Fearne's system. I'd take Craig over Edwin on pure talent, but not under Fearne. I think Fearne's favouring of Weigh over Craig to start and finish games put Torrey offside a bit

Reply #606870 | Report this post

Twinkletoes  
Years ago

I think it was more that Fearne wasn't using him to finish games that was the problem. In his first season with the Taipans, Craig was on court for the majority of games at the end and quite often would play major minutes despite Weigh starting. For some reason, last season Fearne seemed to have the shits with Craig from the start and showed little confidence in him. I think the couple of games before the Xmas break, when Fearne chose to not use use Craig a lot and kept him benched at the death (plus all of OT in one of them) was the straw that broke the camels break for Craig. I know he had made up his mind at the XmasNew Year break that he wouldn't be returning.

When Weigh went down injured and Craig was basically the only option at the 3 after the XmasNew Year break, he played exceptionally well and displayed the form that he is for Brisbane now. In fact, he was close enough to the Taipans best player in that 2nd half of the season. He did have 2 ordinary games but one of them was the last game of a streak of 6 games in 16 days that the Taipans had, where Craig had played major minutes in the first 5 of those games and was simply stuffed. The other was the last game of the season in Townsville in which noone played well (after losing all chance of making the playoffs by losing in NZ a couple of days before).

I thought Fearne handled Craig poorly for the whole of last season. Even when Craig was playing well in the 2nd half of the season he still would quite often strongly admonish him for what he felt he had done wrong rather than acknowledge that he had been playing well. In a tv interview at the end of the season (when asked if the imports would be returning) he said both Stark and Craig had only shown glimpses of their best, which may have been true for Starks but was a ridiculous statement to make about Craig given his 2nd half of the season. Fearne did say later he was interested in getting Craig back but that was never going to happen from Craig's point of view.

Although I feel we miss Craig's rebounding, I have to agree that Edwin is looking very good. His test will be to keep it up on a consistent basis. He does strike me as a player that can be a bit hot and cold with his shooting but even if that is the case he will still contribute strongly with his defensive efforts.

I know it's early days and a long season but the Taipans are starting to look very good. Trice and Jawai are still the keys. We may well have won that game last night with a fit Trice in the team.

Reply #606905 | Report this post

*whoops, forgot to press Post*

Gaze has said that he would ideally rotate a key 8 players around with spot minutes for other players, which makes sense, you want your best players out there all the time if you can... In a recent press conference, Gaze mentioned that Hill has been quality, but sometimes won't get minutes... I think he would have gotten him in there in Cairns if he could have, but it was just too tight... Maybe he could have brought a little something different to change the result though, I dunno...

Reply #606906 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 11:21 am, Thu 25 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754