Aussie
Years ago

Illawarra v Melbourne on SBS

19k viewers.

OUCH

Topic #40237 | Report this topic

Isaac  
Years ago

I watched the live stats on my phone. Didn't even occur to me that it might be on SBS. In the NBL's Instagram promo, SBS is mentioned last after NBL.TV and Fox. Completely missed it.

Reply #606516 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

The league needs to promote their FTA coverage more. Still too many people have no idea its on SBS and at what time.

Illawarra arent really a well supported team and probably considered a low drawing club for TV so that might have factored.

Reply #606520 | Report this post

Zodiac  
Years ago

Making people are sick of having to watch Melb Utd every Sunday?

Reply #606523 | Report this post

Nonanon  
Years ago

I am finding myself not watching games lately because the corner cam is too much of a distraction and too stupid for words.

Reply #606539 | Report this post

Mike  
Years ago

I could have watched it on TV but settled for online instead

Reply #606546 | Report this post

Another Anon  
Years ago

I would think the cricket would have something to do with those numbers.

Reply #606560 | Report this post

Aussie  
Years ago

As a comparison:

Perth Glory v WSW 77k

Perth Wildcats v Adelaide 36ers 22k

Fox Sports live coverage.

Reply #606585 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Most basketball fans would've paid $5 per month and watch it on line, the Nbl should be able to rely us this. Younger generation don't watch tv any more.

Reply #606597 | Report this post

Zodiac  
Years ago

I did pay the $5 for NBL TV but as you can't connect from their site to a computer via VGA cable, I would much rather watch a game on TV rather than on a comp screen whilst also chewing up my bandwidth.

I'm not interested in what the kids do they would probably be fine trying to watch a game on their mobile phones. Personally I would never watch a game again for the rest of my life rather than do that.

Reply #606610 | Report this post

Aussie  
Years ago

Zodiac, thank you.

Also, can someone answer me this question.

If Foxtel pulled the plug on the NBL and we couldn't get any other television network to pick it up, how many Sponsors would stick around?

Reply #606616 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Most basketball fans would've paid $5 per month and watch it on line, the Nbl should be able to rely us this. Younger generation don't watch tv any more.
Younger generation aren't currently buying cars, building houses, etc - those are the ads/sponsors paying money. NBL.TV can help cover future fans, but they also need to go with what makes money now.

Reply #606622 | Report this post

Zodiac  
Years ago

Foxtel aren't going to pull the plug on live sport content needed to fill their channels that doesn't cost them a cent.

They don't pay anything for the rights to show the NBL and unlike last season now the NBL has taken over full production costs of the broadcasts and Foxtel are now just showing a feed of the NBL TV broadcasts hence the removal of all Fox Sports signage on the courts, in on screen graphics and on the commentators microphones.

Secondly as less than 30% of households now have Foxtel I doubt sponsors would be too worried about the NBL disappearing from Pay-TV onto online only. Some sponsors might but I find that hard to believe as it's not like the NBL gets good ratings on Foxtel anyway.

Reply #606624 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Chemist Warehouse would be devastated. How would they tell us about the baskets?

Reply #606626 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Ah the baskets

Reply #606628 | Report this post

KET  
Years ago

They really needed a couple of variations of that advert.

When the 30% of Households claim is made, it doesn't take into account all the pubs/restaurants playing Fox Sports and showing the NBL. I've seen NBL shown through Fox at the TA, Ed, Cumby, Strathmore, Arkabar etc.

Even if people in pubs, bars & restaurants aren't paying serious attention for much of the match, they may still watch a little or even just become aware the NBL actually exists.

I do wonder how the reach/ratings of SBS compared to 7mate/One/Gem. I also wonder if Seven, Nine or Ten had any interest in showing a match of the week or highlights show on their main channel.

On the one hand, it could be a live sport product provided for free to an FTA network which is at least close to pure profit, on the other hand it might be more profitable to just chuck on a cheap show if it rates higher.

It may well be that if say, Channel Nine and Ten are showing sport already at a particular time slot like a Sunday arvo, then Seven will go for non-sport content to capture a different market.

I think it is probably fair to say NBL doesn't capture attention or rate high enough at this point for FTA networks to consider NBL for a prime time slot above movies during the summer period.

Also, for those who think streaming is what's important - remember that's still a relatively narrow demographic and those within that demographic probably already pay for Netflix, an expensive phone plan, internet plan and maybe even NBA LP, and perhaps AFL Live or Cricket streaming. Where do you think the NBL is going to be in the list of priorities for people?

In addition, NBL isn't mainstream enough to even attract those interested in sports generally or basketball to download the app and watch games, it will mostly attract those who are serious NBL fans perhaps with a bit of the general sports fanatic market - even if it's free or $5. Charging a reasonable amount of $$$ won't help the NBL attract lots of streamers, charging little will attract more but not enough to make money out of subscriptions. That leaves advertising, and in terms of Australia, the number of streamers probably isn't anywhere close what is necessary for the NBL to find enough advertising dollar to be dependent on it. This means, streaming has to be one facet of NBL coverage along with TV and whatever other means they can get a market in.

Reply #606646 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 9:50 am, Sat 20 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754