Train
Years ago

Damian Martin to miss 12 weeks

From Twitter:
TimGossage -Breaking: @PerthWildcats will be without skipper Damian Martin for up to 12 weeks with a serious knee injury. @TenNewsPerth #ToBeConfirmed

Topic #40242 | Report this topic

Train  
Years ago

Serious....Serious problem for Perth. Hope he has a speedy recovery and is back in time for finals...if they make it.

Reply #606656 | Report this post

Ricky  
Years ago

That just means he'll be back next week, dont worry.

Reply #606658 | Report this post

Zodiac  
Years ago

This season really sounds like it's going off the rails for Perth. Sometimes when teams have been up for so long the arse just falls out the bottom of it and with the Martin injuries, Kenny injury, JJ no Ingram yes JJ shenanigans and watching the 36ers the other night come back from nowhere to almost beat them on their home court with favourable calls needed to get them over the line it did feel like watching Hawthorn last season.

Yes, they kept winning the close ones and just getting over the line but you could tell the beast had run it's race and it's time was coming to an end.

Reply #606659 | Report this post

Train  
Years ago

The question has to be asked though, will they cut an import to get a PG/Combo guard or just struggle with what they have?

I can't see them going that long using Hussey and Wroe and Kenny is not back for a few more weeks.

Reply #606660 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

If it's literally 12 weeks, then they'll probably look at moving on one of the non-Prather imports.

Reply #606662 | Report this post

Ricky  
Years ago

From Wildcats.com.au

The Perth Wildcats have signed guard Cal Bruton, who previously played with the Brisbane Bullets and Geelong Supercats.

From Wichita State University, the flashy point guard looks to bring his game out West and show the fans the type of exciting streetball game he learned when playing in Queens, New York, "I'm excited to begin a new chapter in my career here and hopefully we can win a few championships"

Bruton may be cleared in time to play against the New Zealand Breakers on Sunday at Perth Arena.

Reply #606663 | Report this post

Train  
Years ago

I hear Cedric Jackson might be looking for a new job :P

Reply #606665 | Report this post

Luuuc  
Years ago

The fear of this being the case is exactly why I haven't been engaging in any of this Perth=playoff certainties bollocks over the past couple of days. Only takes one moment with one critical player to throw a pretty big spanner into the works.
Honestly I'm relieved it's "just" 12 weeks.

Reply #606673 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

12 weeks? That's pretty much the rest of the regular season isn't it. Hurry back soon Jarrod!

Reply #606679 | Report this post

Luuuc  
Years ago

Just as a reference, our 5th-last game of the regular season is 12 weeks from when he got injured. Our last game is at the 14 week mark.

Reply #606685 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I don't think we should sack anyone. Kenny held the fort pretty well last year. The big test will be the three weeks until he's back. Wroe did a respectable job on Saturday I thought.

Reply #606689 | Report this post

Mike  
Years ago

Sack Damo's knee

Reply #606690 | Report this post

Luuuc  
Years ago

From the Wildcats' email:

Scans reveal MCL tear for Martin

Perth Wildcats captain Damian Martin has been ruled out for 10 to 12 weeks, after scans today revealed a grade three MCL tear in his left knee.

The injury was sustained in the third quarter of Saturday night's win over Adelaide at Perth Arena.

Martin won’t undergo surgery, with club medical staff opting to rehabilitate the joint.

Wildcats staff will begin looking at injury replacement options.

Reply #606698 | Report this post

Ricky  
Years ago

This'll do the trick when he gets back.

Reply #606702 | Report this post

Zodiac  
Years ago

Poor bugger though the past two seasons he's just had no luck with injuries.

Reply #606703 | Report this post

Bballer  
Years ago

Release hussey sign markivich for 12 weeks proven ability to get into sets about if a has been but reliable

Reply #606711 | Report this post

Years ago

maybe he should settle, no point continually trying to come back even when you're not physically ready. Perth should have gone for a combo guard instead of Jaron Johnson. Travis Trice would fit much better in a Perth Uniform.

Reply #606712 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Izzy Tueta is available after this weekend

Reply #606715 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

If Tueta is actually available that should be a no-brainer, he has shown he can play.

Reply #606724 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

We love kiwi backups

Reply #606726 | Report this post

Dazz  
Years ago

I knew selling all those bobble heads was a bad idea.

Even say assuming they drop McKay and go for an import. Who's floating around?
Who could we get as a local to replace either Martin or McKay? And who could we get as a replacement guard if we went that route?

Reply #606741 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Someone send a call out to Drake is!

Reply #606742 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

There are no quick fixes. We just need to go with what we got. We played pretty well on Saturday until randle went crazy. There are not many scoring guards like him

Reply #606745 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Markovich is the ideal solution. Perth needs a playmaker and he can do that.

Reply #606747 | Report this post

PyroCross  
Years ago

Tueta will be available once Ili's 100%. And absolutely he should get a contract with the Wildcats, he's not a distributor PG but he doesn't look out of place. And he's not a Kiwi.

Reply #606751 | Report this post

Dazz  
Years ago

I agree on Markovich, he was still good when healthy. What's he been doing?

Reply #606753 | Report this post

Train  
Years ago

Markovic would be ideal. Can hit the three and has a wealth of experience.

Reply #606762 | Report this post

Dazz  
Years ago

There are no quick fixes. We just need to go with what we got
Going with what we've got is definitely NOT an option, but the good news is that Kenny should be back in a few weeks or so. We need to somehow whether that storm, and then move on.

I'd have to doubt the Cats would be toolish enough to cut JJ again, so the only question then is whether McKay is safe. Depends on what import guard would be available and who they could get locally to replace McKay in the lineup.

Realistically I tend to think we just try to get through until Kenny returns, at the same time signing the best local we can find.

Reply #606764 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

So Train if Damo's out for 12 weeks how many games is that, then how will he even qualify for finals?

Reply #606790 | Report this post

Train  
Years ago

@790 - Do the maths!! If he is out for the full 12 weeks his next game would be Jan 28th. He has already played 5 games and there would be 5 games left when he gets back. IIRC a player needs to play at least 8 games to qualify for the finals (It may be 7).

It'll be close, hopefully he is back a couple of weeks earlier than that.

Reply #606800 | Report this post

koberulz  
Years ago

I agree on Markovich, he was still good when healthy.
He hasn't been healthy in two or three years, though.

Reply #606801 | Report this post

Nonanon  
Years ago

The Cats are looking at signing local kid Dazz Dazzercise to a short term player-coach role. Just need to see if he fits under the SALARY CAPS. Gleeson thinks he has remarkable court vision, almost as if he is watching a different game than everyone else.

Reply #606802 | Report this post

ROFLcopter  
Years ago

Lol

Reply #606805 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Haha zodiac, favorable calls got the cats over the line????? More like favorable calls got Adelaide into the game...wildcats hating at its best

Reply #606810 | Report this post

Dazz  
Years ago

I WOULD play for pies.

And if you think Jawai was an "immovable object" just wait till you see my low centre of gravity.

Reply #606812 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Tueta

Is this the same Tueta that could not get the ball pass half court with Casey Prather on him in Q4 in Perth?

Markovic.

Markovic was already 'not in peak shape' in Townsville. Then in Sydney he had 'personal issues' which precluded him for playing one whole season. Yes Markovic has a sweet stroke, but whats the use when you are at mental / emotional levels on par with Delonte West?

The Wildcats already got rid of one mentally unbalanced player, they don't need another liability.

That said, there are precious few options out there.

Reply #606818 | Report this post

Nix36  
Years ago

Those comments on mental illness are offensive.

Reply #606820 | Report this post

Mike  
Years ago

I'd like to see Devin Booker

Make it happen Nick

Reply #606827 | Report this post

proud  
Years ago

Well at least his jaw will be right when he returns but as for a replacement, I'd like to see more of Hussey, I really like his poise and he looks like he deserves an NBL gig... yeah I know he has played 3 minutes all season but he has impressed me way more than Wroe who I think has been a huge disappointment.

I don't think we need to make any decisions just yet and show a weeks more faith in Wroe/Hussey with Prather and JJ doing some ball handling

Reply #606832 | Report this post

Train  
Years ago

It's a bit of a concern, that even with only 8 teams in the competition, the NBL has exhausted its local point guard spots. Or is there plenty of PG's out there and clubs are not looking in the right places?

Reply #606869 | Report this post

Dazz  
Years ago

I suppose we could restart the whole "Australia doesn't produce PGs" debate?
I guess part of it is, that if you're a decent experienced player, without a contract, you try to find something else, like England, if you're eligible. Or an assistant coaching gig.
Or maybe you get on with your life and get a job. It's not like we're the NBA, and anyone would drop everything for a short-term contract.

There are plenty of guys around from the SBL/SEABL type level, but how many of those are ready to step up?

Reply #606879 | Report this post

Freethrows  
Years ago

Matt Burston could be a good local option for a replacement for McKay, if the 'Cats decide to go for another import guard. Remember he was a starter as late as last year. He is a very good defensive-minded centre and would be a good adjunct to Matty Knight in the front court.

Reply #606883 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Train, unless the rules have changed it is 25% of total games played as a registered player.

Reply #606886 | Report this post

Train  
Years ago

@886 - so that's 7 then. Thanks for that :)

Reply #606887 | Report this post

bear  
Years ago

so surely its finally hoggytime?

Reply #606888 | Report this post

Ricky  
Years ago

Reply #606889 | Report this post

Dazz  
Years ago

Matt Burston could be a good local option for a replacement for McKay, if the 'Cats decide to go for another import guard. Remember he was a starter as late as last year. He is a very good defensive-minded centre and would be a good adjunct to Matty Knight in the front court.
Hard to say.
I don't think McKay has performed at the level they would prefer for an import, but at the same time if you replace him with a guard, that's a short-term deal.
I think it comes down to how quickly Kenny recovers. If & when he's fit, the Cats will back him to run the point in Damo's absence, with JJ in the 2.

Reply #606896 | Report this post

Ricky  
Years ago

Simple, just need to "de-activate" McKay and get a combo import guard until Damo gets back then re-activate.

Reply #606897 | Report this post

Mike  
Years ago

SIMPLES

Reply #606902 | Report this post

Dazz  
Years ago

LOL

Still reckon they should put in a call to Steve Holt

Reply #606907 | Report this post

Train  
Years ago

By the sounds of it they are going to make do with what we have and are not looking for an import replacement. Article states Kenny should be back in a week or 2.

"Gleeson ruled out the possibility of signing an import to fill the point guard role.

"Jaron Johnson has done everything we've asked of him, he had a great game on the weekend, right now we’re going to back our own," he said.

“Hopefully Jarrod’s back in the next week or two.”

http://www.wildcats.com.au/perth-wildcats/trevor-gleeson-backs-squad/

Reply #606910 | Report this post

Dazz  
Years ago

Yeah, I think they'll back Kenny when he' fit, and shit-canning JJ (again) or McKay would be rather extreme.
But they still have the option of an injury replacement for Martin. Interesting to see who they come up with. 12 weeks is certainly time to have a hunt around, and for the replacement to settle in and get up to speed.

So who's available? (Apart from Holt under the "Asian rule")?

What would you look for? Someone who can backup the point and also shoot a bit?
Do you try to find somebody who will actually add something, or just a body to fill the space, or are you looking for insurance???

Has Tueta shown much?
Is Burdon worth another chance?

Any Aussies in Europe likely to be let go?

Reply #606916 | Report this post

Train  
Years ago

The article I linked above mentioned Mason Bragg. Not sure if he is a local replacement or another development player.

Reply #606917 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Bragg is a good capable KID. Seabl player who is 22. NBL ready? NO way.

Reply #606919 | Report this post

Watto  
Years ago

Everard Bartlett?

Reply #606920 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Michael Dunigan?

Reply #606929 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Rashad Tucker?

Reply #606941 | Report this post

jimbo  
Years ago

what about MIKE HELMS!!!

Reply #606968 | Report this post

Anon  
Years ago

Will Gleeson get another coaching job if Perth don't make Finals?

Reply #606972 | Report this post

Ricky  
Years ago

No - because injuries wasn't his fault.

Yes - because he messed up the SG role, which led to Kenny injuring his groin which in turn led to Damo injuring his Jaw and now leg by way of Butterfly Effect.

Reply #606976 | Report this post

Dazz  
Years ago

You don't want to be the coach that broke the streak.
It has now become a force that just keeps on rolling, the longer it goes, the worse it gets.
As the saying goes, its a bit like a balloon (or virginity) once its gone it aint coming back. You can't just say "hang in there for another 30 years and we'll build it back."

Still hoping the Cats can pull a rabbit.

Reply #606983 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 9:43 am, Fri 29 Mar 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754