Years ago

I talked to JVG about the Kings and the cap

have spoken to Jeff Van Groningen on the King's situation on Sunday.

I have known Jeff and Guy Hedderwick (36ers CEO) now for a few years, both stand up guys.

Jeff has said he will speak to anyone who asks questions about the King's spending and admits, yes they are over the soft-cap but are going to pay whatever luxury tax the league slugs them with.

Jeff is pretty upset with the way the media twisted Andrew's words and has also had conversations with Boti.

He has also cleared the air on some player payments (to within reason of what he is allowed to reveal).

Brad Newley's salary was under question but it is indeed the highest on the entire King's list but is not the ludicrous "500,000" dollar marker people have suggested.

Lisch is being paid similarly to Newley, despite what has been said Powell actually came a lot cheaper and accepted a lot less than you would think.

King's have been in contact with the league and provided with a figure of how much tax that will need to be paid but this won't be finalized until the beginning of the playoffs.

He wouldn't tell me how much they are paying buy did say it is greater than 500,000 in luxury tax.

I reckon anyone on he is welcome to message him and speak to him, I think it is fair to say they've upheld the rules and we should respect that.

Topic #40244 | Report this topic

Captain Jack  
Years ago

Yea,

Didnt Gaze basically say, we will have to pay the tax but we wont be the only ones

I never saw what was wrong with that and seemed to be accurate as you would imagine atleast Melbourne, Perth, NZ would also have to pay looking at their rosters.

Reply #606664 | Report this post

koberulz  
Years ago

Gaze actually said they wouldn't have to pay tax.

Reply #606666 | Report this post

Pop  
Years ago

Put the salaries on the record - for all teams - and all the speculation stops!

If there is a fact/information vacuum people will fill it with speculation!

If it is really too painful to be truly open, I'd suggest publishing the figures using a meaningful 'range' scale might I'd hope] help. Would $50K brackets work? For example, Team A has two players in the $250K to $300K bracket, four in the $220K to $250K bracket, and so on.

Reply #606667 | Report this post

PlaymakerMo  
Years ago

How exactly did the media twist Gaze's words?

It should have been prudent to assume he had no clue (per usual) rather than believe his comments regarding the Kings' cap situation were factual.

Reply #606669 | Report this post

Years ago

I have no clue what the King's salaries look like but If I was to have a guess at random (don't hold me too this):

Newley: 300,000 (Marquee)
Lisch: 300,000
Maric: monthly until Khazzouh comes back? No clue
Cadee: 100,000
Blake: monthly, no clue
Khazzouh: 200,000
Powell: 150,000
Whittington: 100,000
Garlepp: 100,000
Prewster: 70,000?

who knows but I reckon It's gotta be in that ballpark.

Reply #606678 | Report this post

Southern Joe  
Years ago

Have you seen video of what Gaze said, or have you only read the article?

Even if video. .. do you know how easy it is to edit footage and make it dance to your tune.

Reply #606680 | Report this post

Years ago

let's just get one thing straight, the media are shit stirrers and the plankton of the human world...

Reply #606681 | Report this post

Zodiac  
Years ago

How exactly did the media twist Gaze's words?

They didn't, it's a mate sticking up for his mate. He can't accuse them of lying as it was a direct quote so go the 'twisting words' or the usual 'taken out of context' route.

Reply #606684 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

^^^^ hill is missing, No way Prewster on $70g, as well imports living and cars need to be taken into account. So Whittington would be $200g plus Maric is on full contract. Most imports want $30000 per month after tax.

Reply #606686 | Report this post

Zodiac  
Years ago

$1.7 million payroll perhaps pushing close to $2 million is where I would've thought they sat anyway, they're way over so smart by JVG to admit they're at least $500K over which is probably a conservative estimate.

Reply #606687 | Report this post

Freethrows  
Years ago

The NBL promised to publish player's salaries, when the deal was initially announced. Obviously, it hasn't, or perhaps they are posted in the back of a filing cabinet stored in a disused lavatory at the bottom of a broken set of stairs with a sign saying "beware of the leopard."
(With apologies to the estate of the late, great, Douglas Adams.)

It has then backed down, saying that it would publish itemised teams' salaries, without detailing whose salaries were which (leaving people to guess that perhaps Jeromie Hill wasn't paid $500,000 for the season, that might be Newley's wage.)

Since then, nothing. I still want to know which 5 Kings players are being paid a total of $400,000 or less, too. I bet they include Newley's $150,000 Marquee Player alottment into that calculation.

Reply #606692 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Gaze said in his quotes he expected them to pay.
JVG has an article online at Foxsports criticising the like very people here that are simply guessing at players salary.
I certainly heard that Goulding was on $300k and that was quickly dismissed by a current United person.
Until the figures are released it's all meaningless speculation.

Reply #606695 | Report this post

LV  
Years ago

JVG is a top bloke, if that's what he said then I take him at his word.

Reply #606699 | Report this post

Zodiac  
Years ago

I have no doubt they dismissed it, Boti said when Goulding re-signed with MU for 2 years it was for $400k per season.

Reply #606700 | Report this post

Years ago

I know who the highest paid player is as do alot of the people within the NBL and they've scoffed at it.

Anderson is on 500,000 (guaranteed) and so far that is looking like a bit of a trainwreck for United.

however If he finds his form the bloke could average 20 and 10. It's just DD at the moment using him incorrectly.

Reply #606708 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

"Gaze said in his quotes he expected them to pay."

This is how the ESPN article quoted him, saying he doesn't expect them to pay taxes.

"But I don't think we're in that extreme category where we might be facing some prospects of, depending on the end numbers, being involved in having to pay some taxes.

"But I dare say that a few other clubs either are, or they are not telling the truth."

Reply #606721 | Report this post

Captain Jack  
Years ago

Yea ive heard rumours that Andersen is on like 600k, Goulding 400k

You would expect guys like Newley, Lisch, Randle to be on atleast 300k

My guess of the kings salarys would be

Maric 100-200k
Wittington 80-120k
Newley 300k+
Lisch 300k+
Cadee 100-150k

Khazzouh 250k+
Garlepp 100-200k
Prewster 50kish
Hill 50-80k
Powell 200k+
Balke 200k+

So a 2 million total sounds beleivebale to me

With marquee player discounts etc, it might be 1.7 mil or something like that per the salary cap, so 500k over sounds about right to me

Melbournes roster would be just as expensive id say, especially given Andersen and Goulding are on around $1mil between them

Reply #606746 | Report this post

Years ago

the top paid players you reckon?

Anderson: 500,000 sounds right
Goulding: 400,000 Boti says?
Randle: 300,000 Triple M reported

Jawai would have to be sitting on about 200,000 himself surely?

Reply #606748 | Report this post

Dazz  
Years ago

Gaze claimed they would not have to pay tax, and then went on to say that other teams would either have to pay tax or were lying.

Were the media also twisting his words when he said the NBL should close for a year?
Or any of the other stupid crap he has come out with?

Gaze is the greatest player Australia has ever produced. But he should not open his mouth in public.

Reply #606769 | Report this post

Years ago

I spoke to Nick Marvin after the game on Saturday. He says the Wildcats are only the paying the minimum 90%, and have been promised a slice of Sydney's tax.

He is a top bloke so obviously what I say is true.

Reply #606770 | Report this post

NBL Fan  
Years ago

It's essential these luxury tax payments are recorded properly and fairly because the proceed are what will keep Cairns and Illawarra in the comp.

Reply #606775 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Sydney my prediction salary wise approximately
Lisch $300k
Newley $250k
Powell & Blake $200k
Khazzouh & Maric $150k
Cadee $120k
Whittington & Garlepp $100k
Hill $70k
Prewster $50k

$1.6-1.7 million roughly.

Luxury tax - definitely Melbourne & Sydney. Possibly Brisbane & Perth

Reply #606791 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

PLus Adelaide NBL Fan. The comp is headed for where it was previously. The rich will survive the paupers will fail. This as a clear example of what LK has invented as an idea with a lot of potential, but not followed it all through.

Reply #606793 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Why even quote and ESPN article Paulo. It's simply a rehash of the same Aussie article.

Reply #606796 | Report this post

Duke Fan  
Years ago

"Garlepp 100-200k"

If Garlepp is getting anywhere near 200K I'll throw down a tomahawk dunk next week......and I'm 54, 5'9, 120kg with dodgy knees and ankles

Reply #606803 | Report this post

KET  
Years ago

I'm going to create a crowdfund just so I can see that happen

Reply #606807 | Report this post

Dazz  
Years ago

People seem to forget that this is all supposed to be based on deemed salaries, as ascribed by the committee. So it doesn't matter that Newley and co are apparently only playing as a favour to Drewie. What matters is the value determined by the committee.
The NBL can't just arbitrarily throw that out the window.

It sounds like they want to wait till the end of the regular season to determine the values based on performance???
That's a crock of shit.
Basically it says to a team "spend what you like, either you win, or if you suck, the market value of your players goes down and you pay less tax."
It would also penalise teams like Cairns who do so much with so little cash.

As I have said before, I don't know how you go about ascribing values to players who have come from Europe or the NBA, but its the system the NBL promised, and they need to deliver.

Reply #606809 | Report this post

Duncan  
Years ago

Did you guys just decide "Well we need to point out the Kings are paying a lot, so let's go all in"?

Generally your imports and marquee player salaries I'd imagine are pretty close, but Cadee and Garlepp would be 80-90k. 100k Max for Cadee IF they truly love him. Until now they have proven themselves to be mid-tier players and quite frankly they still are.. Lots of talk about Cadee's 'breakout' but look at his fg %. By end of year he'll be playin 18-20 mins behind Blake and Lisch.

No way Whittington came out for less than 150 as well, Khazzouh about 150 too IMO.

Regarding the 5 under 400, have to agree it's a stretch.

Prewster and Hill would be on peanuts but just very hard to find the 5th Guy that keeps them under.

Reply #606831 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I know Garlepp was on a $120K a few years ago. So work it out from there. He wasn't that good then either.

Reply #606834 | Report this post

Duke Fan  
Years ago

"I'm going to create a crowdfund just so I can see that happen"

Better make sure there's some funding for an extra strong trampoline! Some things aren't meant to go that high....like me, and Garlepp's salary :)

Reply #606836 | Report this post

AngusH  
Years ago

I'd be interested to know Whittington's $$$ because (from what I understand) he actually trialed for a spot, and came from the D-League where they earn peanuts. I also doubt Powell is on big coin, and Blake maybe not excessive coin either. I think they were both real smart signings taking into account both their pedigree and playing statuses.

Reply #606840 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

Whittington wouldn't be on that much, it's his first OS assignment, didn't have a great college career, is a tweener in many leagues and didn't shoot the ball that well in the D-League to sell himself as a SF to quality European teams.

If he's on $100K then I think his agent did well.

Reply #606842 | Report this post

lol @ Duke Fan... It's not really the going up that is the problem, it's sticking the landing without crumbling in a heap...

I still think it's rather pointless to talk about numbers, but seeing as how it's either this, or working... I think some numbers are fairly close to the mark and Anon #606791 would be my tip to the closest... Tommy might have been on more previously, but he re-signed this season after the new owners and JvG took over, so maybe took a bit less to play on a more stacked team? Wouldn't be the first time a player has done that *cough*Perth the last 10 years*cough*

I know Whittington has been playing worth at LEAST $100k, but as Angus said above, he trialed for a spot AND came from the D-league where peanuts would have been a luxury, so I think most would be surprised at what he is on, plus don't forget that Hill would still be on his rookie deal and it's not like he was setting the world on fire coming out of college and was probably not the best option available at the time either...

It's just stupid that it's deemed value salaries, as how do you assign a salary to an ex-NBA payert hat was on whatever he was on for 13 seasons but isn't worth that now? And it's a bit rich of a Perth fan saing that players are playing as favours for a coach when that's how Bevo got Damo and Knight there in the first place and a large reason why they kept them for a lot less than market value...

Very frustrating when it's just the Kings getting shit for their spending because they got the mix right, but you look at what Bubbles and Andersen would be on, not to mention Blanchfield, and nothing...

Reply #606851 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Who really cares what any team spend!!!! Everybody stop whinging! This current NBL model and the level of latent we have playing this year is the best we have had for years!
The NBL is actually entertaining to watch for a change and that's because of the level of talent we have playing, and the ONLY WAY TO GET THAT IS TOO PAY BIGGER SALARIES!!!

Reply #606864 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

The games are no more entertaining this year. There are good games and bad games and in between games.

Reply #606867 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

maybe took a bit less to play on a more stacked team? Wouldn't be the first time a player has done that *cough*Perth the last 10 years*cough*
I don't think Perth are a good example of that at all. Their core has been there for years, some after they were left by a failing team, and playing for Bevo. Others were local additions like Jervis, Hire, etc. Kenny was ignored by other teams. Redhage been there for ages. Then imports would've been paid market rate.

If Garlepp stayed with Sydney for a reason other than money or is paid cheaply, it is probably due to lack of alternatives. When you play a fairly fixed position or two, gigs can fill up quickly in an eight team league. With him, for example, Perth already had starting bigs, Cairns already with Loughton and Tragardh, NZ trying to focus on Kiwis, Adelaide needed a different sort of player (and wouldn't have offered more anyway), etc.

Reply #606912 | Report this post

XY  
Years ago

Whatever speculation there is about player payments (Newley, Andersen on $500k etc) is irrelevant unless you also take into account the Marquee caps, which IIRC means only the first $150k of that would count towards the cap.

Whilst I think there could be a lot more clarity about all of this, it makes sense that the cap tax calculations can only be made at the start of the playoffs, teams could add/subtract pieces before then which could change the calculations.

That is, there is no point telling everyone how much tax Sydney will be playing if they cut Whittington tomorrow and replace him with Blake Griffin because it would change.

So long as they publish the figures at the end of the year, we really can't ask them to do much more. Of course, the NBL could come out clearly and say that is what they intend to do already!

Reply #606914 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

How has Perth gone over the cap?

Reply #606921 | Report this post

KET  
Years ago

Agreed XY, the following article probably makes that point a little bit and inspires some confidence in the system

https://au.news.yahoo.com/thewest/sport/a/33150761/nbl-no-two-tier-comp-loeliger/

Reply #607107 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Before the season started the league said all salaries would be publically disclosed. So this didn't happen? #brokenpromise

Reply #608110 | Report this post

BigAds  
Years ago

FYI

http://www.hoops.com.au/forum/40267-several-teams-over-soft-cap-loeliger/

Reply #608114 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 2:09 am, Sun 21 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754