Jumpshot
Years ago

Kings v Bullets 10/11/2016

Kings' shooting having been off in the last 3 games. Bullets win by 10.

Topic #40259 | Report this topic

Train  
Years ago

Have been far from impressed with Kings performances over the last 2 games. If Bullets can bring the D, then home court advantage should get them over the line. Gibson needs to start having an impact.

Reply #607096 | Report this post

AngusH  
Years ago

Kings haven't been firing from 3 the past couple of games, but I give Cairns a lot of credit for how hard we found it to consistently get buckets more so than I do us not playing well... I think Cairns did a tremendous job on us defensively.

I don't think the Bullets are at the same level defensively, but if they smash us on the glass and our outside looks don't drop, it's going to be a real tough task to pick up the 'W' on the road.

Reply #607099 | Report this post

Wookiee  
Years ago

Kings have missed a lot of open outside shots as well as contested ones though... If they can make some early, that should help, but I think the key will be our bigs keeping out of foul trouble, especially after Lepenis has gone and had a whinge to Scott Butler about their "unfair treatment" the last couple of games... bloody sook...

Kings haven't seemed as locked in as they did before Blake got here, hopefully another week has helped their chemistry get a bit more sorted... Hopefully Newls has his anti-Boomers Coach big boy pants on and it pays off again...

Reply #607108 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Those who've been watching Bullets games, has Gibson got on track after the disinterest apparent in Adelaide?

Reply #607113 | Report this post

Mike  
Years ago

Why is this game not available to bet on at Tabtouch?

Reply #607116 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Never heard of them. Ask them.

Reply #607121 | Report this post

Mike  
Years ago

It's just the online arm of the TAB. Every other game this round is there.

Reply #607122 | Report this post

Master Chief  
Years ago

Isaac, despite the obvious disinterest from Gibson towards the end of his Adelaide career, i thought some of the problem had to do with him always playing next to an American point guard. I've always thought it was a waste of import spot signing an American if you have Martin or Gibson. Especially given how effective the Gibson/Carter combo was at South Dragons.

I expected that he would show the league what he is capable of again under a new coach at a new team but i'm starting to think i was wrong, and those who said that we've needed Ervin, Wilson etc over the years were exactly right. So maybe take it that way. Although there could be some stats which suggest otherwise, my observations have been that Gibson's been pretty mediocre from what i've seen so far.

Reply #607125 | Report this post

Mike  
Years ago

So finally the game appeared @ TAB

Reply #607126 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

TAB in what state? You know they are all different?

Reply #607130 | Report this post

Freethrows  
Years ago

Gibson has been mediocre for years. There is only so much you can allow for a player not performing to his potential for this reason or that reason. Ultimately, if he's a good enough player, it will show through, and Gibson hasn't done enough to convice me that he is the player he could/should be.

He's the Aaron Trahair of his generation.

Reply #607133 | Report this post

Freethrows  
Years ago

Brisbane can only win this if they can apply the same on-ball pressure Cairns utilised last weekend, and play the Sydney bigs strongly in the post.

I think Wookie's point about foul trouble holds true: if the Kings' bigs can stay out of foul trouble early, they'll out-muscle Brisbane's under-sized front court and give their guards more freedom to run.

Sydney by 10.

Reply #607134 | Report this post

Mike  
Years ago

'TAB in what state? You know they are all different?'

Perth, sorry

Reply #607137 | Report this post

lawsy  
Years ago

Gibson is woeful. Has been for 3 years. His lucky to play at Nbl level and not state league. I can't see Sydney not winning by atleast 14

Reply #607138 | Report this post

James Harvey fan  
Years ago

Gibbo hasn't been good in any of the 3 games I've seen Brisbane play this season. His stats look OKish (shooting 39.2% on 3s) but he barely gets to the line and his defence has dipped a bit imo.

Reply #607144 | Report this post

Manu Fieldel  
Years ago

Honestly I'm sick of him. Was still willing to categorise him as among the elite guards in the NBL, but he's done nothing to show it. Putting up big numbers one game and not the next isn't showing it.

He gets to his spots at will when he wants to; needs to realise he's a liability to his team when he plays scared. Surely the team's deplorable offence is some kind of sign to step up. They've scored 7 more points than Cairns in the same number of games this year. CAIRNS!

Gotta get Ced.

Reply #607147 | Report this post

Manu Fieldel  
Years ago

Fun fact: the top three individual steals per game leaders are all Kings (Lisch, Whittington, Maric)

Reply #607149 | Report this post

Freethrows  
Years ago

Another fun fact: Cedric Jackson is 3rd in the league with 5.33 dimes per game, and fifth in steals with 1.44. How long before those stats disappear into the ether?

Reply #607150 | Report this post

Manu Feildel  
Years ago

They need to get someone who can put Bairstow in spots to succeed. Again, Ced

Reply #607151 | Report this post

Tempo  
Years ago

Adam Gibson thinks he is Deron Williams

Reply #607152 | Report this post

SteveK2  
Years ago

"Brisbane can only win this if they can apply the same on-ball pressure Cairns utilised last weekend, and play the Sydney bigs strongly in the post"

IMO Defense alone won't be enough Freethrows. Brisbane going to have to hit a lot of big shots and Sydney will need to have the same shooting funk they're in atm and do a lot of boneheaded plays like Newley saving the ball into Jawai hands for the last second dunk of the 1st half or Whittington's bonus foul on Edwin with 4 sec left with a 1 point lead.

On-ball pressure probably won't generate the same turnovers like it did with the game in Cairns. Kings took care of that problem quite well in the return bout in Sydney.

Cairns played both offense and defense nigh near perfectly last monday. Snakes were switching constantly between zone, full court, scrambling trap defense. That was Grand Final level play with the bench, Jawai and Edwin hitting big shots to keep their lead for most of the game and it still wasn't enough once the Kings started making their shots.

Reply #607153 | Report this post

Manu Fieldel  
Years ago

I can just see it now... Ced's flexibility defensively will help them junk it up, which is a thing Lemanis likes to do, and his dribble penetration and willingness to pass will get Bairstow shooting those midrange jumpers and give him some confidence. If both imports shoot a high clip from deep, then a Bullets with Jackson would be as well-rounded as any team in the comp

Reply #607154 | Report this post

AngusH  
Years ago

Well... that was incredibly disrespectful, cutting away from the trumpeter.

Reply #607161 | Report this post

AngusH  
Years ago

I don't know why people keep making a big deal out of Cairns and Brisbane being the only teams to beat us when we haven't played 3 teams yet.

Reply #607162 | Report this post

Mike  
Years ago

Got Sydney 11+ leggoooooo

Reply #607163 | Report this post

Mike  
Years ago

Worst call ever

Reply #607164 | Report this post

Mike  
Years ago

Is it just me or do Heal and Gaze almost sound identical when calling?

Reply #607165 | Report this post

Mike  
Years ago

Kings do you even boards

Reply #607166 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Yeah hahahaha I keep thinking it is Gaze every time he calls a game, they have that goofy sound effect when something interesting happens

Reply #607167 | Report this post

SteveK2  
Years ago

Wonder what Lemanis' smoking ? You don't try run and gun with Sydney. Kings have way more runners and gunners. WTH ? Even Garlepp got an easy dunk !

Reply #607168 | Report this post

Mike  
Years ago

'Yeah hahahaha I keep thinking it is Gaze every time he calls a game, they have that goofy sound effect when something interesting happens'

They both do the same raising of the voice thing when something exciting happens

Reply #607169 | Report this post

Tempo  
Years ago

Thats why no one wanted Steve Blake in the NBA....he is washed up.

Another reject comes to the NBL

Reply #607170 | Report this post

AngusH  
Years ago

Oh yay, it's Tempo here to kill the mood.

Reply #607171 | Report this post

Tempo  
Years ago

Name me 1 NBA player from the NBA who was WANTED by an NBA team rejects the NBA and comes to the NBL.

Name 1

Reply #607172 | Report this post

Tempo  
Years ago

Newley gets fouled going for the dunk..

No foul...refs cant get the home crowd upset.

Reply #607173 | Report this post

AngusH  
Years ago

Uhhh.... why would anyone who was wanted in the NBA sign in the NBL for any reason? Stupid statement. Not being good enough to play in the NBA, the best league in the world by a mile, does not equate to "washed up" or a "reject", otherwise the entire NBL is full of washed up rejects.

Reply #607174 | Report this post

AngusH  
Years ago

Holy shit. That dunk by Whittington.

Reply #607175 | Report this post

Train  
Years ago

WOW!! that dunk !!!

Reply #607176 | Report this post

SteveK2  
Years ago

Whoah ! Bairstow got posterized by Whittington ! Someone's angry now :)

Reply #607177 | Report this post

Train  
Years ago

Whittington kinda reminds me of Leon Trimmingham.

Reply #607178 | Report this post

AngusH  
Years ago

Definitely reminiscent of Trimmingham on that throw down.

Reply #607179 | Report this post

Nix77  
Years ago

Tempo is an absolute waste of life.

Reply #607180 | Report this post

AngusH  
Years ago

Watching that Tommy dunk again, I can't even remember the last time I saw him throw it down.

Reply #607181 | Report this post

AngusH  
Years ago

...why would you put Te Rangi on Newley right now?

Reply #607182 | Report this post

SteveK2  
Years ago

Heh that was terrible refereeing. Maric tried to seal low post had his arm locked up for over 2 sec and no call.

Reply #607183 | Report this post

Zodiac  
Years ago

I must admit Newley's got a lot more juice in his legs than I thought he had. He looks like he's been in the Lazarus Pit like he's 5 years younger than he last looked playing for the Boomers. He looked spent a year or two ago.

Reply #607184 | Report this post

Keen observer  
Years ago

Bullets taking only 5 threes a game is ridiculous with how the game is played now, especially with Kickert in the team and that is his best skill.

Kings have a bit of hothead potential. Teams will not be shy about baiting them into silly fouls.

Reply #607185 | Report this post

SteveK2  
Years ago

Yeh someone need to memo the refs, we don't need the excessive 'anal' calls. Just let the boys play. Really disrupts the flow of the game.

Reply #607186 | Report this post

Keen observer  
Years ago

I agree, there shouldn't be any anal on TV at 8:30. Someone think of the children!

Reply #607187 | Report this post

AngusH  
Years ago

Yeah, Powell needs to keep his cool, but all the same, if I'm the Kings and Mitch Young has the ball around the basket, I'm giving my best effort on the foul.

Reply #607189 | Report this post

MACDUB  
Years ago

I thought Lemanis' coaching has been really off this game..tempo, putting Te Rangi in on Newley, running Kenyon and Bruce in the game at the same time at the crucial end of the 3rd (should have at least one of Gibson or Beal), overall defensive systems on Newley, OB screen defence.

Reply #607190 | Report this post

SteveK2  
Years ago

Well its 9:01 PM where I am so kids in bed already heh

Reply #607191 | Report this post

Keen observer  
Years ago

Blake is still really adjusting to the NBL. Much more improvement in him I think

Reply #607192 | Report this post

AngusH  
Years ago

Yeah, a lot more contact in the NBL than NBA on the perimeter... I think that's the biggest adjustment for a guard who has played his entire pro career in the NBA.

Reply #607193 | Report this post

Keen observer  
Years ago

Newley is an excellent player but does at least one really frustrating thing a game, like that open layup he just missed

Reply #607194 | Report this post

Tempo  
Years ago

LOL @ Blake...remember people...there is a REASON WHY NO ONE WANTED HIM..

Do you think if he was in DEMAND he would come here? LOLOL..Maybe for the weather and a Xmas holiday.

The guy is washed up hack

LOL Aus fans get excited when an NBA player comes here LOL..The only NBA players that come here are old and washed up OR are in no demand from the NBA

Reply #607195 | Report this post

SteveK2  
Years ago

Newley missed 2 layups in a row. He is tired and Gaze too scared to sub him out. Blake's shots real shaky and the ones he missed wasn't really tightly contested either.

Reply #607196 | Report this post

AngusH  
Years ago

Yeah, Kings just not knocking down their open 3s has been the real difference the last 3 games vs. what happened to start the year. Not overly concerned though.

Reply #607197 | Report this post

SteveK2  
Years ago

Oh ya know Tempo, if you're right about Blake and Powell = washed up oldies then your logic says Kings probably not lying about getting them cheap and not overly exceeding the soft cap eh ? Think the Kings done in this game :)

Reply #607199 | Report this post

Mike  
Years ago

Geesus Kings you are deplorable

Reply #607200 | Report this post

twenty four  
Years ago

#kingsthendaylight

Reply #607201 | Report this post

Tempo  
Years ago

Ask yourself...why are they here? Did they knock back offers from NBA teams to come to join the Kings? LOL

Same as Harrington last year, old washed up here for a holiday.

Childress was CUT by the Suns.

NO ONE COMES HERE BY CHOICE WHEN IN DEMAND BY NBA CLUBS...NO ONE.

Reply #607202 | Report this post

Keen observer  
Years ago

So you've worked out the NBA is a higher standard than the NBL? Wow. One can only marvel at your superior intellect.

Reply #607204 | Report this post

Tempo  
Years ago

Nope...just stating facts that only NBA rejects come to the NBL, only after exploring offers from Europe.

Reply #607206 | Report this post

AngusH  
Years ago

Apparently guys only play in other leagues if they're not good enough for the NBA. This changes everything.

Reply #607207 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

They got lucky against Cairns to win a fluke game where the Taipans were the better team but tonight the Bullets exposed them pretty badly.

Reply #607212 | Report this post

Tempo  
Years ago

They didnt get exposed. They just arent really that good.

When people hear these NBA names, they naturally think of them when they were at there peak physically and motivation wise.

As i said they just come here because no one else wants them or they are here for a holiday.

Cairns should have beaten them down here...A fully fit Perth team would THROTTLE this team.

Reply #607214 | Report this post

Nix77  
Years ago

Who are you arguing against Tempo you absolute retard? Aren't you the same dribbling moron who thinks the NBL is rigged?

Reply #607215 | Report this post

Tempo  
Years ago

LOL, just stating FACTS...people saying the Kings are the most stacked team of all time in the NBL?

Not even close.

Reply #607217 | Report this post

Mike  
Years ago

'people saying the Kings are the most stacked team of all time in the NBL?'

Yeah whomever said that made a ridiculous call, just like #KingsThenDaylight

Reply #607218 | Report this post

Mike  
Years ago

Also was reading reports recently about Whittington practically being ready for the NBA

nuuuuuuuuuuuup

Reply #607221 | Report this post

SteveK2  
Years ago

Heh sarcasm aside, Blake and Powell in some parts did cost the Kings that game. Powell's nice bloke off the court and all but at his age and with his experience, that on-court attitude is a weakness he needs to address. Not sure but I think that's twice now that he's negatively impact the team's momentum.

Blake's biggest problem is his shot confidence. His defense and aggressiveness with drives/passes just need a bit of adjustment but something that should be addressed in a few more games. If he ever adjusts and get his shot confidence back, he'll probably be more deserving of the hype.

Not sure if you can blame it on Blake but Cadee's real out of sorts since and his poor form is also one of the main reason for Kings' shaky form lately.

Reply #607228 | Report this post

Freethrows  
Years ago

Cadee has had a great start to the season, but he's always been very streaky. I think his ego is a bit fragile - I'm not talking Clint Steindl fragile, but fragile - and it may just be that Blake's introduction has him rattled.

Reply #607233 | Report this post

cats 4 life  
Years ago

where is lv?

Reply #607234 | Report this post

Train  
Years ago

Hoops....,daylight.....LV

Reply #607238 | Report this post

Me bEn  
Years ago

Just back from the game.

Great result for Brisbane. Lemanis has a ways to go with his rotations though. Very positive that he gave Torrey and Beal 30+ mins burn each, he NEEDS to do that. He f***ed up leaving Bruce on Newley for extended minutes in 3Q though, Newley drove and scored on Bruce four successive times, would've been wise to pull him out and put Gibbo in after the third time at worst. As someone else mentioned, trusting Te Rangi and Kenyon with valuable time in 3Q just mind boggling at such a crucial time. It's 'nice' that Lemanis wants to keep his squad engaged by getting everyone in the game but not when it comes at the peril of wins damnit.

Isaac: Gibbo looks a little more dialled in. He's never going to get back to his glory days of looking good on a boxscore but he doesn't need to be on this team where there are a bunch of options offensively. If he can continue providing safe handles, reliable defence and posing a threat from three I don't think there's much to bitch about with him.

Reply #607239 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Going to the bench has to happen, considering the way the bullets overran the kings in the last the rotation is just fine. But what would the former national coach, after all he is no Gleeson (Flog)

Tempo... You are so right, the best players in their prime do not play in a league where the teams salary cap is barely more than the veterans minimum in the NBA.

So watch league pass and leave the NBL and this forum alone.

Reply #607246 | Report this post

LV  
Years ago

I never said it'd be Kings then daylight today, tomorrow or next week. Give Gaze some time to react to teams understanding his schemes. Give Blake more time. That was only his third game alongside Lisch and Cadre. We'll see if it's Kings and daylight or not, by the end of the season. If it's not then I'm Very glad to be wrong- no one wants to see one team sweep through the playoffs.

Reply #607256 | Report this post

LV  
Years ago

Don't forget too that Sydney lost a game on the road, against a team they made short work of a couple of weeks ago. Didn't see the 4Q but Kings were up by a point late third and Newley was destroying them. Hardly panic stations if the Kings had a bad quarter. It's very rare for NBL teams to win most of their games on the road. But United does represent a golden opportunity on Saturday, possibly missing 3 starters

Reply #607257 | Report this post

*sees Tempo post and SCROLLS PAST without READING*

A disappointing result as a Kings fan... As mentioned before, they just look out of sorts and just aren't clicking and this is all timed with Blake's arrival... Hopefully it's just teething problems which will adjust in time, but SteveK2 is spot on re: Blake... Great experience to have on the team and off court is great, but I keep finding myself that the team just isn't right when he's on the court... Defensive lapses, some turn around fade away shots from too far out... I know he's not an inside banger, but 0pts and 4reb is just not good enough and I think his on court effort is lacking, especially in contrast to Maric, who is out there setting hard screens and scrapping for whatever he can get... Plus falling for the obvious bait from that bench scrub who has only managed to find some form recently and his astroboy wannabe haircut is just a bonehead move... God help him when he plays Perth, Wags and Redhage will have a field day...

Whoever was on me in another thread about Blake deserving more minutes because he's a better facilitator needs to pop up and have that argument again as I'm not seeing it... He's not really even looking to do that this last game and jacked up some very ordinary outside shots... His inclusion I think HAS rattled Cadee a bit, to the point that the back court was really set and working really well and now there's a sense of being unsure how it's all fitting together... That's not really on Blake, but moreso on Gaze...

Newls was amazing in keeping us in it last night, but overall defensively there were WAY too many easy baskets for Brisbane who never gave up...

Reply #607258 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

Newley just continuing to take it out on Lemanis! Wasn't enough last night though.

Reply #607262 | Report this post

Zodiac  
Years ago

Bullets then daylight.

I thought Blake showed real promise in his first game but in the three games since he's looked just about done. Lisch being out for his debut helped but maybe he was trying really hard to impress but since he looks like he's playing in first gear. Or maybe there just wasn't much left in the tank.

Cadee's reverted back to the Cadee we all know since too.

Reply #607264 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 2:57 pm, Sat 20 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754