Anonymous
Years ago

NYTimes article on Ferguson and 36ers

Full story

Topic #40274 | Report this topic

Isaac  
Years ago

compensation in the mid-six figures (because of various marketing arrangements) as he prepares for the N.B.A. draft next June, when he will meet the league's age requirements.
Presumably the 36ers aren't copping the majority of that cost.

Fairly long article. Went out to 30+ million people on Twitter alone.

Was there another topic about this that I missed? Surprised that it's gone seemingly unnoticed on here.

Reply #607798 | Report this post

Camel 31  
Years ago

I mentioned it here , last nite on 'lawn bowls outrates nbl; , as TV news ran this story last nite...

Reply #607801 | Report this post

Wilson Sting  
Years ago

"over breadsticks at Olive Garden"

Classy work ADL, for those not familiar with the Olive Garden franchise, that's like taking someone out to Sizzlers for dinner.

But forget my negativity, it got the result and it's a good article to showcase the league. Joey's attitude of not sharing the love is a little disappointing, surely he wants to see the league thrive too: "Wright said he had already been approached by rival teams wanting to know how the 36ers had landed Ferguson.

"I told them, 'No, I ain't doing that," said Wright, a former player at the University of Texas. “They said, ‘What do you mean?’ And I was like, ‘We ain’t that close!’”

Either way, everyone else would have caught up by next season. I think it's a good option if you can't get a scholarship into a good college, or if you really need the money for family etc. But unless you're averaging 15+ points I would think it would only lower your stock in the draft.

Reply #607802 | Report this post

Pop  
Years ago

Based on what we are seeing Ferguson has a LOT of work to do before he gets anywhere near a draft. In fact, depending on the dollars and whether he develops this season, I suspect he could well still be around in 'SIXERS colours next season.

He gives the impression of being a good kid, but kid he is, and still quite a way off being value in the NBL, let alone NBA, in my opinion.

He can't do too much about his body in the very short term, I guess, but those hurried outside shots are 'interesting'.

But who knows - maybe if the 'SIXERS see enough zone to force them to move the ball and actually free up shooters he might start to build confidence and flower.

One can always hope.

Reply #607834 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

I've only seen that Hawks game, but has he done much besides the outside shots? I hardly noticed him out there. Same with Jacobsen a bit, compared to Hodgson at least.

Reply #607846 | Report this post

Zodiac  
Years ago

Ferguson hasn't done much at all and to put it frankly right now isn't up to it as an NBL import. But then that's unfortunately not the point of all this, it's about him being blooded to prepare for the NBA draft next year where he will probably be a lottery pick. The production level of Ferguson is about normal for a kid straight out of high school playing against pro men for the first time.

However like I did when he was first signed I would still question the logic of this signing or any future import signing of a kid straight out of high school because you're not going to get standard NBL import level production out of them.

Reading the article it sounds like a few people have got vested interests in this and good luck to the kid getting paid $500K for a year overseas before he starts earning millions next season.

Reply #607848 | Report this post

Old Mate  
Years ago

I thought Ferguson was a development player mmmm

Reply #608192 | Report this post

KET  
Years ago

I mean, he's 18.. he's not going to do all that much, that's just a reality in a strong physical professional league that is one of the best in the world sub NBA.

He looks bloody good for an 18 year old though, the height athleticism, shooting is on point. He'll develop throughout the season, and it's probably worth giving him the ball a little more or trying to find him a few shots each game that will do his confidence a world of good and might help the team along the way. End of the day, there is a big difference between a 26-28 year old and a 22 year old, and there's a huge difference between 26-28 and an 18 year old, that's the reality.

Reply #608195 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

He might end up the best player in the world, but at present with the $500g price tag as quoted in the article I just don't see value. Adelaide should be trying to win not pay overs to develop talent.

Reply #608234 | Report this post

KET  
Years ago

Because of various marketing arrangements. He has a deal with under armour amongst others.

The 36ers aren't actually paying him $500,000.

LOL

Reply #608242 | Report this post

Camel 31  
Years ago

half a million into our salary cap (soft now).....

Reply #608265 | Report this post

KET  
Years ago

Does it?

Reply #608284 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 3:26 am, Fri 29 Mar 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754