AngusH
Years ago

Cairns vs Brisbane 13/11

So, power goes out in Cairns with 1:30 to go, with Cairns down 8.

Topic #40278 | Report this topic

Kyrie2Nation  
Years ago

It's all Wortho's fault.

Reply #607633 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I was wondering what had happened.

Only caught the game from the second half. McCarron and Damon were impressive. Bruce was getting beaten easily on d again for the second straight game.

Reply #607634 | Report this post

Zodiac  
Years ago

I thought something funny happened watching on SBS come back in the room and the game has gone off air with a 'break in transmission' screen and just checked the boxscore 15 minutes after the game should've finished and it says there is still about 1:30 to go in the game.

Weird.

Reply #607636 | Report this post

aaron  
Years ago

how long till the game gets called

Reply #607638 | Report this post

FreeThrows  
Years ago

No indication of the game being called off. Both teams are still on the floor. Reputedly, there is a power outage across Cairns. There are certainly heavy storms to the South and East. We could do with the rain, but at the same time...

I have to say it would be a big ask for Cairns to come back, with a minute and a half remaining. They've been playing some pretty bad ball and Fearne is refusing to put his better players on the court.

Reply #607640 | Report this post

FreeThrows  
Years ago

Are there rules for how long we wait before the game is called off?

If it's called off, does the team in the lead get the points, or is it a draw? Or do we re-play the game? I doubt that's likely. Just asking. And a bit bored. Hot and bored.

Reply #607642 | Report this post

Luuuc  
Years ago

@MattRussellFOX
Decision coming 4.30 local time. FIBA rules - current score will count as result. Brisbane will win. @CairnsTaipans can protest. #NBL17

Taipans should indeed protest if that happens. The rules clearly fail to take into account the time left vs. points required and then most importantly, factor into the equation that the Taipans have Cam Gliddon, making them the odds-on victors from this point.

Reply #607645 | Report this post

FreeThrows  
Years ago

The bench is saying it's all over. Now it's official. No idea about the result. See ya!

Reply #607646 | Report this post

DaHuzyBru  
Years ago

game officially abandoned https://twitter.com/NBL/status/797689093652025349

Reply #607647 | Report this post

Tempo  
Years ago

Matt Russell has massive money on the Taipans. Everytime the Taipans scored he reacts as if he has picked up 3 hot chicks and everytime the Bullets scored it was as if he was at a funeral.

Reply #607651 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

How to loose a game .... play Weigh all last quarter and leave Edwin on the bench with 13 points. Fearne = Poor Coaching.

Reply #607655 | Report this post

FreeThrows  
Years ago

Even if he types loose when he means lose, I have to agree with the anonymous poster. I can't believe Fearne left Edwin on the bench that whole quarter.

Reply #607659 | Report this post

Twinkletoes  
Years ago

Nor can I.

Edwin played the first 5 minutes of the 2nd half and then wasn't used for the rest of the game! Fearne did a similar thing with him in NZ and it boggles my mind that a player who is playing really well is used in that manner. Edwin has played a total of 28 minutes in the last 2 games (13 minutes today!!) for 27 points and he defends well, yet Fearne chooses to use Weigh instead for a great deal of the 2nd half in both games!

Reply #607660 | Report this post

Twinkletoes  
Years ago

Correction: Edwin has played a total of 32 minutes the last 2 games (almost 19 against NZ) but my point still stands.

Reply #607661 | Report this post

snooch  
Years ago

Cairns have protested the result of the game. Curious to know what outcome they'd be looking for - drawn game, play the last couple of minutes, replay the game?

Reply #607664 | Report this post

GordonG  
Years ago

Would be looking for a drawn game, I would imagine. However, patrons were advised not to throw away their tickets when leaving...

Reply #607665 | Report this post

snooch  
Years ago

Haha, good luck, but can't really see them overturning a FIBA ruling.

Reply #607666 | Report this post

Zodiac  
Years ago

8 points down with 1:30 to go, just suck it up it would've taken a minor miracle to win.

Reply #607668 | Report this post

GordonG  
Years ago

@Zodiac Maybe, but a foul was committed on Jawai just before the lights went out, brings it back to (maybe) 6 with 1.34 to go.

Reply #607671 | Report this post

Tempo  
Years ago

SO the Taipans want FIBA to change the rules for them?

Reply #607682 | Report this post

GordonG  
Years ago

@Tempo Not necessarily, the option is there to protest. Why wouldn't you?

Reply #607683 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

In 2008 the Heat and Hawks had to replay the final 51 seconds of a game that the scorers had incorrectly fouled out shaq when in fact he only had 5 fouls. http://www.espn.com.au/nba/news/story?id=3192421
If there was more than a quarter to go I can see a replay, both full or a quarter(with current score) but in this case it should just be called, bad luck if you weren't in front at time

Reply #607699 | Report this post

Wilson Sting  
Years ago

I think the game should be replayed on account of the refs not knowing how to call a foul when either Jawai or Heuir have the ball.

Reply #607707 | Report this post

Kingpodge  
Years ago

I'm with Sting.... electricity supply standards in Queensland is second only to the state of the NBL referees....

Reply #607744 | Report this post

greybuoy  
Years ago

Whaart?
The power had to go out before anyone thought to comment on this game?!
Cam Gliddon took the boyz out on the town last night. They left him late and made their own way home. Gliddon went straight to the game. Borrowed the money for the cab fare from Torrey Craig.

Reply #607747 | Report this post

CT  
Years ago

Im sure at least one of the Bullets imports would've been in covergirls before the night was over then...

Reply #607755 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Give Cairns the option to replay the last minute or so at their own cost. See how they fancy their chances.

Reply #607788 | Report this post

Wilson Sting  
Years ago

I've got no real issue with them handing the game to BNE, but it would get interesting at the end of the season if it came down to a points differential between CNS and BNE. CNS definitely had some flow at that point and like Gordon said, had 2 FTs to come, so the margin might have got down to say 2 or 4 points.

Reply #607804 | Report this post

Ricky Diculous  
Years ago

All sorted.
Brisbane given the win.
Good weekend for the Bullets!

Reply #607845 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 3:00 am, Fri 29 Mar 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754