Isaac
Years ago

Goorjian to coach United next season?

Heard this rumour the other day and now Boti's put it out there too.

I have two theories, and neither are based solely on Dreamtime stories.

The first is the club already has negotiated a deal with Brian Goorjian — hallowed be thy name — to take United's reins from 2017-18 on.

Goorj, the NBL’s most successful coach, has been coaching in China since winning the championship with South Dragons in 2008-09 and will be available next season.

His family still is based in Melbourne and his daughter shortly will make him a grandfather.

Grandaddy Goorj makes total sense as United’s mentor.

So Theory #1 is the club will take its lumps with Demopoulos rather than sack him and take a chance on assistant Mike Kelly — a championship-winner under Goorj — or bring in someone such as Shawn Dennis.
Full story

Topic #40300 | Report this topic

hoopie  
Years ago

No. No. And still no.

Why would we want him to turn stallions into plodding work-horses?

Reply #608276 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Because now you have Shetland Ponies, Clydesdale horses would be a vast improvement.

Reply #608277 | Report this post

Makes no sense  
Years ago

Definitely NO.

Why would a team stacked with talent want a quality coach who could actually translate that into wins?

Reply #608278 | Report this post

Benno  
Years ago

Trust the process

Reply #608279 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Certainly heard that rumour on the weekend in Melb.

Interestingly I also head to day about a push to get rid of Cairns and bring in China and the Philippines. Brisbane struggling with crowds and the chestnut of LK pulling out after year 3. It was suggested he was going to invest %7+ mill into the NBL. That figure now is meant to be $50mill+
The new NBL would represent all states not sure about territories of Australia. 1 team per state

Reply #608282 | Report this post

KET  
Years ago

Goorj likes sending teams bankrupt...

Reply #608283 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Another idiot.

Reply #608286 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Crazy that people keep telling Bruce this stuff and he runs straight to a forum and posts it. He hasn't been right in years.

Reply #608288 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

after being shafted by Creveli on the last contract when he was ready to come?

Reply #608289 | Report this post

KET  
Years ago

Titans, Dragons, Kings... United?

He has some bad joojoo, maybe China got rid of the curse

Reply #608291 | Report this post

Zodiac  
Years ago

Actually it's Spectres, Magic, Titans, Kings, Dragons all gone under Goorjian. United would be off going for someone like Shawn Dennis or even Ian Stacker.

Boti was running with the Goorj to MU rumour last year too and then they signed DD to replace D-Mac so I'll believe it when it happens.

Reply #608297 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

It wasn't a rumour, the deal was a done last year until Creveli worked his magic

Reply #608300 | Report this post

Dazz  
Years ago

Theory #2 is United chief executive Vince Crivelli was behind hiring Demopoulos, and to sack him is to admit he got it wrong.
Once again, this is what people to need to understand about organisations. People's motivation is about keeping their jobs, power, and prestige. That's why you find incompetent twats like Crivelli and DD get as far as they do. They build alliances, suck up to the right people, and watch each-other's backs.

Reply #608303 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

So how did Goorj send the Kings broke when their owner had a questionable business and the Dragons walked away because they wouldn't work with the NBL at the time.
Spectres, Magic and Titans were all failing iterations of the same club. Hardly Goorj's fault.

Reply #608304 | Report this post

KET  
Years ago

I don't think you understand the concept of bad joojoo

Reply #608309 | Report this post

Aussie  
Years ago

"Interestingly I also head to day about a push to get rid of Cairns and bring in China and the Philippines. Brisbane struggling with crowds and the chestnut of LK pulling out after year 3. It was suggested he was going to invest %7+ mill into the NBL. That figure now is meant to be $50mill+
The new NBL would represent all states not sure about territories of Australia. 1 team"

How can you say that Brisbane is struggling with crowds?

They sellout every game and from what I can see, the interest is quite high.

Are you saying LK will pull out after next season? (Year 3)

Reply #608313 | Report this post

KET  
Years ago

Very much doubt LK pulls out after 3 seasons

Reply #608314 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I pull out after 3 minutes

Reply #608315 | Report this post

Kingpodge  
Years ago

and that's why you're not a multi millionaire.....

Reply #608316 | Report this post

Aussie  
Years ago

"and that's why you're not a multi millionaire....."

GOLD

Best come back to the 12 year old anons

Reply #608317 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Whats the average crowd in brisbane? Kestleman running MU, Bullets and the Nbl wont keep doing it forever.
Now paying production costs is killing it.

Reply #608318 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

3500. Go figure how those piss poor numbers can fund a team that is way over the soft cap. Even a security bully could figure that out.

Reply #608320 | Report this post

AKA  
Years ago

Playing in smaller stadiums mean they would make a profit with those 'smaller' numbers. Attendance would only make up a certain % of a clubs revenue.

Reply #608321 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Well Brisbane only have 4000 seats to fill so their crowds were never going to be huge and they would have budgeted accordingly.

They would have to find revenue from other areas eg sponsorship and merch sales to help them make up for the attendance shortfall.

Reply #608325 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

This would be great news for united and nearly worth the pain of lasting the season with DD

Reply #608327 | Report this post

NBL Fan  
Years ago

Brisbane has its uniform full with sponsorship so good signs there. Merch has also been selling well judging by the massive lines each week. Disappointing there is no online store still.

Reply #608328 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Budgeted accordingly? WTF it's LK spending more money, trying to sell the franchise with no success.

Reply #608330 | Report this post

Big Country  
Years ago

Don't be surprised if an "International" investor buys all or part of LK's share in the NBL within the next 2 seasons.

Reply #608331 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Starting with the 36ers? Or is it a different investor?

Almost every single NBL club has either folded or needed bailing out at some point (Adelaide, Cairns, Illawarra, etc). Goorjian's coached for a long time so chances are he's been involved with a few.

I'd hire him.

Reply #608340 | Report this post

Big Country  
Years ago

There is an end game with the ties currently being built with China.

- Chinese teams playing in pre-season competition
- Games being telecast into China
- Major sponsors have links/strategies of expanding into China
- Chinese players(s) being signed as development players
- Discussions ongoing for Chinese team to play in NBL perm.

Clear strategy here involving China and I am not sure if it is in the best long term interests of the game in Australia.

Sorry to hijack thread. Another topic for another thread.

Reply #608346 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Neither theory is based on dreamtime stories. So both are contextually accurate?

Reply #608349 | Report this post

LV  
Years ago

Goorjian is the greatest coach in NBL history.

You can hardly call him the kiss of death. He was in Sydney during the Johnston firepower thing and Cowan bailed out of the Dragons- neither had much to do with Goorjian.

If they can get him, it's a huge win. Only issue is age. He's 63. But then again, Poppovich is 67...age is nothing but a number. Do it.

Reply #608356 | Report this post

Kingpodge  
Years ago

DD is 63 - Goorj is younger than him

Reply #608360 | Report this post

Kingpodge  
Years ago

(4 months younger)

Reply #608361 | Report this post

LV  
Years ago

Yeah, but I'm not suggesting we keep DD, either. Not at this stage.

If we miss the playoffs, then sacking DD is a no brainer. If we recover to play some good bball and then lose in the semis again, they will have an interesting decision. If we recover to make the GF or win the thing then DD will have done enough to earn another year.

Reply #608365 | Report this post

Nonanon  
Years ago

A lot of the unpopular and anti-social style of play that people hate today was mastered by Goorj. I wonder if flopping and physical play will continue to be a blight on the game if/when he returns?

Reply #608367 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Anti social play? WTF!

Reply #608369 | Report this post

Nonanon  
Years ago

WTF? WTF!

Reply #608370 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

I seriously doubt Goorjian had anything to do with flopping. He pushed for tough play from his squad and testing the limits, but that's entirely different and up to the refs to police.

Reply #608371 | Report this post

Nonanon  
Years ago

Huh? His Kings teams were notorious for flopping. Wortho, Smith, Hinder and Kendall on one team...all part of the Flopping Hall of Fame!

Reply #608373 | Report this post

Luuuc  
Years ago

and don't forget CJ Bruton!

Reply #608389 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Goorgian to the United is already done. will start next season

Reply #608400 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Anon source????

Reply #608407 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

NO need for a sauce.

Reply #608409 | Report this post

Ceres 72  
Years ago

Rumor I've herd is Dennis is off to Melbourne next year

Reply #608503 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Matt wrong again.

Reply #608526 | Report this post

Pop  
Years ago

As I see it, basketball in Australia is still trying to recover from Goorjian's cynical 'bash through' philosophy - if you hit and grab enough the refs will become 'conditioned' to it and stop calling it. In fact they stop 'seeing' it because it 'looks normal'.

Most definitely don't want to revisit that.

However, I have no idea if he still embraces this philosophy. Anyone know if his Chinese team is tarred with the same 'illegal physicality' brush?

Reply #608566 | Report this post

Zodiac  
Years ago

As I see it, basketball in Australia is still trying to recover from Goorjian's cynical 'bash through' philosophy - if you hit and grab enough the refs will become 'conditioned' to it and stop calling it. In fact they stop 'seeing' it because it 'looks normal'.

Most definitely don't want to revisit that.

Spot on. He almost killed the sport in this country and pretty much turned it into a basketball/rugby hybrid. What were the refs going to do foul out every player on his roster? Goorjian knew that so pushed it to the limits resulting in the 'sludge ball' tactics we're still trying to get out of the system 7 years later.

The last thing the NBL needs is Brian Goorjian back.

Reply #608569 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Yes it's a sad day when basketballers play defence and run their plays to perfection.

Reply #608608 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

7 years later? Try 20!

Reply #608616 | Report this post

LV  
Years ago

It's ridiculous to blame Goorjian for the entire NBL's decline.

The refs were free to call it how they saw fit, and the NBL was at it's liberty to issue whatever interpretive instructions they wanted.

Goorjian might've pushed the boundaries, but he didn't make them.

Reply #608701 | Report this post

Pop  
Years ago

I really enjoy seeing basketballers play defence and 'run their plays to perfection'.

What I don't like, in this context, is a coach who damages the game by cynically and consistently coaching intentional physical thuggery instead of defence.

Reply #608703 | Report this post

Hoopie  
Years ago

Zodiac, yep the refs should have fouled out his players until he pulled his head in.

He was always known for his over-sized ego. The game was, and still is, bigger than him.

No to coaching in the NBL and an even stronger NO to him coaching the Boomers.

Reply #608704 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Ha. Boomers coach again? No way.

Reply #608721 | Report this post

Dazz  
Years ago

The one thing I clearly remember about Goorjian is his arrogance. Just lots of little things he would do, to show his contempt.
Disliked the guy, but that doesn't make him a bad coach.

Reply #608764 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Does anyone care you disliked him? Nup.
He has always been a great coach. Many dislike his coaching style, but he has always been a great coach.A subtle difference.

Reply #608798 | Report this post

LV  
Years ago

The one thing Dazzling Dazz remembers about the greatest coach in NBL history isn't that, you know, he's a freaking great coach and his teams do really well every single year and play great D.

It's that he's arrogant. A special kind of person, that Dazz......

Reply #608808 | Report this post

uncle jimmy  
Years ago

Imagine what Goorjian could have done with Someone like Damien Martin. He made scrubs like Parkinson and Lucas look like great defenders so if he had Damo I cant imagine how more great Damo could have been

Reply #608810 | Report this post

KET  
Years ago

Goorjian is a good coach - no doubt - but does the NBL want a coach back who does what Pop said? I agree, his sides got away with a ridiculous amount of illegal physicality that we don't want in this game. The question is, would the NBL and the refs be capable of calling the game properly if this occurs again or does it go back to the old days?

Reply #608812 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Refs today are far worse than back then. So the answer is no. But who says Goorjian's coaching style hasn't changed? Did you hear the CBA complaining about his coaching style in China? No.

Reply #608836 | Report this post

KET  
Years ago

But who says Goorjian's coaching style hasn't changed?

Exactly why the words "if this occurs again" placed in the sentence.

Did you hear the CBA complaining about his coaching style in China? No.

Few thoughts:

#1 Do we hear from the CBA all that much anyway? No.
#2 Does lack of complaint mean it doesn't exist? No.
#3 Is it possible the CBA plays a different style or standard allowing that sort of crap? Maybe.
#4 Is there a strong track record of a particular coaching style which places a reasonable assumption that it continues to be the case until otherwise proven to the contrary? Yes.

Reply #608839 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

I don't get this discussion, the sort of physicality that was introduced by a small number of teams, including Goorjians, in the 90s is the norm now. If he came back coaching you wouldn't bat an eyelid.

Reply #608844 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Who gives a shit. At the end of the day if he returns if he goes down the same road again and you don't like it, don't go. Just moan about it here like you are now.

Reply #608846 | Report this post

KET  
Years ago

God forbid people have a discussion on a discussion board Anonymous. If you don't like it, take your own advice and don't go here?

I don't get this discussion

I think you probably do given you're on here enough to know the very recent discussion about 12 minute quarters, low team scores, low player averages etc. There's a significant populous who don't want to watch a physical grind style of basketball, and in a game that's meant to be entertaining!

Many don't like what's happening now and want change, so why on earth would they be happy if one of the architects of it comes back to do the same?

Don't get me wrong, i'd like him to come back because he's a damn good coach, but I want the NBL and Reffing to get their act together and most definitely not be influenced by the Goorj physicality. There's real concern they probably will be, I mean the refs don't exactly inspire confidence these days.

People identifying that he heavily promotes in his teams a style which we absolutely don't want is a very valid point.

Reply #608851 | Report this post

snooch  
Years ago

I don't understand this discussion at all. So we only want coaches in our league who coach a certain type of basketball? We only want a D'antoni type coach who promotes offence over defence rather than a Popovich style of defensive-first basketball???

I couldn't care less what style of basketball my team plays as long as it's a winning style.

There's nothing to say Goorj's style of coaching turned people away from the NBL. The non-basketball purists I know who just go to games casually don't really understand the nuances anyway - and as long as the games are close seem to leave pretty happy.

Reply #608858 | Report this post

KET  
Years ago

So we only want coaches in our league who coach a certain type of basketball?

Yes. A style which doesn't involve getting away with blatant illegal physicality.

I think it's pretty reasonable to expect the style of the game to be coached within legality, not through how best to workover refs until they're desensitised to clear rule breaking and diminishing the game to a slog.

I couldn't care less what style of basketball my team plays

You might not, but some of us do.

What good does it do the NBL in surviving if it can't attract a big enough market because it's too busy being grind grind grind?

We can't have popularity, sponsors, money and boring overly physical grind games.

Stifling talent with an overly physical style hurts the league, and it's unnecessary because most leagues around the world including the international arena don't even allow it to the extent we do.

Again, i'd love Goorj to coach here, I just don't want him exploiting weak refs or a weak league who will an allow overt physical gamestyle which is so very clearly against the leagues interest.

Reply #608864 | Report this post

Dazz  
Years ago

The one thing Dazzling Dazz remembers about the greatest coach in NBL history isn't that, you know, he's a freaking great coach and his teams do really well every single year and play great D.

It's that he's arrogant. A special kind of person, that Dazz......
Wow, the trains really don't stop at your station do they.

People are complaining that Goojian was arrogant, and citing that as a reason we wouldn't want him back coaching in the league.
I'm saying sure he was an arrogant contemptuous prick, but that doesn't reflect on his coaching ability.

My only concern if he returned to the NBL, is that the guy behind me (who screams at the opposition coach all night long) would probably blow an artery in his brain.

Reply #608903 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

"Don't get me wrong, i'd like him to come back because he's a damn good coach, but I want the NBL and Reffing to get their act together."

This. People complain about Perth's physicality, but the two years the league called the game much tighter, 2010 and 2014, they won the title.

Call the game predictably and any good coach and team will adjust accordingly. Goorjian is no different.

Reply #609009 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

"I think you probably do given you're on here enough to know the very recent discussion about 12 minute quarters"

I don't get that discussion either!

Reply #609010 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

"My only concern if he returned to the NBL, is that the guy behind me (who screams at the opposition coach all night long) would probably blow an artery in his brain."
Fantasic. Can you join him? PLEASE!

Reply #609058 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 9:34 pm, Tue 23 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754