Anon
Years ago

Heal Charged With Fraud

www.watoday.com.au/business/australian-basketball-champ-shane-heal-charged-with-fraud-20161118-gssgem.html

Topic #40307 | Report this topic

Zodiac  
Years ago

However, in December 2011 he was declared bankrupt with $10 in his account and reportedly more than $8 million owed to creditors.

Fair effort that.

Reply #608645 | Report this post

KET  
Years ago

Wonder how long he will commentate for...

Reply #608647 | Report this post

Ricky Diculous  
Years ago

Didn't they ditch Rucker when he had the same problems?

Reply #608652 | Report this post

Nonanon  
Years ago

You mean thats not his natural hair colour??

Reply #608653 | Report this post

_Strungout_  
Years ago

^ Ball worthy. lol

Reply #608658 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

The NBL should run away as far as possible from this guy. If they did it to Rucker and what he was alleged to have done, surely he can't be allowed to continue on the broadcasts.

Reply #608673 | Report this post

Very Old  
Years ago

- well this heading certainly was misleading, So this is just about Hammer's well know money issues, - ho hum.

I thought that they had finally gotten Barry Barnes to testify that Hammer wasn't the final great hope and best player of the 2000 Boomers Olympic team ( in exchange for personal immunity from prosecution for falsely claiming to be a better coach than Adrian Hurley), and Heal was finally going to be charged with impersonating a point guard.

Bugger

Reply #608675 | Report this post

Rex  
Years ago

Could be looking at some time in prison for these offences if found guilty.

Reply #608676 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Looks like a big problem looming for Heal. But he has to eat and he hasn't been found guilty yet.

Reply #608677 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

If guilty just a genuine piece of shit human being. People work hard for their money then scum come along and steal. They don't investigate these sort of things and charge without strong info.

Reply #608679 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Agree with ^ but I recall Heal was tried and hung on here before over betting and nothing happened with it.

Reply #608681 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Where there is continual smoke there is fire. They go after crooks for a reason, if it sticks hope karma finds him.

Reply #608682 | Report this post

Zodiac  
Years ago

Agree with ^ but I recall Heal was tried and hung on here before over betting and nothing happened with it.

Doesn't mean it didn't happen though.

http://www.hoops.com.au/forum/18024-heal-allegedly-delivers-racist-tirade-to-fan/

Reply #608686 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Old news, nothing new. I feel bad for him as well as the people who lost money! I'm sure it wasn't intentional. This has dragged on like the Essendon Saga! No end in sight!

Reply #608687 | Report this post

Nonanon  
Years ago

"I'm sure it wasn't intentional."

How do you unintentionally defraud three different entities of a quarter of a million bucks?

Reply #608689 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Like you haven't had one of those stretches when things just don't go to plan, Nonanon?

It's like a day
when nothing seems to go your way
but you stick it out anyway
'cause you're a champ
I don't know what I'm gonna do, gonna do
I don't know-a, I don't know-a, I don't know-a
I don't know what I'm gonna do-ooooohh
Ahaha, ahahahh
Say oops upside your head, say oops upside your head, come on
say oops upside your head, say oops upside your head

Reply #608694 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

""I'm sure it wasn't intentional."
How do you unintentionally defraud three different entities of a quarter of a million bucks?"

That's almost a libellous statement. But you would already know that.

Reply #608722 | Report this post

Dazz  
Years ago

In my previous professional role I've had a look at several start-ups, mostly exploration companies in WA. Everyone involved has their snouts in trough that's for sure.
I saw one company where the shares were issued at a notional 20 cents each, but directors and seed capital providers bought in at as little as 1/8 of a cent. Brokers and advisors were paid "consultancy" fees to bring in investors, and the directors all pocketed juicy salaries. A lot of the money was used to buy tenements from their mates, who made huge profits. I honestly expected it to fall in a heap, and had it done so, questions would have been asked, and those involved could easily have faced similar issues to Heal.
But in the end, another company came in and bought them out, paying over 40 cents a share. So whilst the key players made out like bandits, even the public investors doubled their money.

Point is, there is a lot of greed and profiteering associated with start-ups, everyone gets their snout into the trough, and everyone is happy until the shit hits the fan.

Reply #608723 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Ok well let me unintentionally take $750k from you... guy is scum.

Reply #608724 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

thanks for the really interesting and enlightening and relevant anecdote dazz

Reply #608725 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Dmac appears to be a late sub for Heal tonight.

Reply #608726 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Another Dazzism. Yet again so inciteful

Reply #608739 | Report this post

ROFLcopter  
Years ago

Lel.

Heal is gonzo from NBL

Reply #608753 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I have enjoyed Heal's commentary this season. Legal troubles shouldn't preclude him from commentating games. He hasn't been found guilty (yet).

Reply #609113 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

They got rid of Derek Rucker for the same thing but only a $20k credit card, $750k he has to be gone for sure, but he's some of you guys hero, so he'll still end up doing games

Reply #609227 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

The amount doesn't matter, it's the intent. When I was 7 I stole lollies from a shop. I got slapped on the wrist - same as the guy who evaded police whilst high on ice and killed two innocent people a few weeks ago.

Reply #609231 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

"$750k he has to be gone for sure" Thanks Judge Judy.

Reply #609234 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

this guy has always been an abrasive unlikeable turd.

Reply #609889 | Report this post

Zodiac  
Years ago

In saying that anon he keeps finding plenty of clowns willing to invest big money in his business ventures despite all the alarms that should go off if they did an ounce of due diligence.

Reply #609891 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

"this guy has always been an abrasive unlikeable turd." So what has that to do with anything?

Reply #609894 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

True Zodiac people get sucked into his celebrity status. Suckers are everywhere and I don't feel sorry for them. Sounds like he took from former teammates/coaches too. A lot of pro sports ppl even after their career is over believe they are entitled. Also lied during his bankruptcy. No wonder he had to bet.

Reply #609895 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

"this guy has always been an abrasive unlikeable turd." So what has that to do with anything?

err that he's a dick? so this dick move of ripping people off isn't surprising.

Reply #609896 | Report this post

Bucci Mane  
Years ago

Heal been sacked from commentary yet? If so why not?

Rucker only $20K and got canned.

Reply #609897 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Being a dick isn't a chargeable offence. If it was you would have been charged a long time ago.

Reply #609908 | Report this post

Zodiac  
Years ago

I'll say this about Heal never liked him or whatever wouldn't trust the bloke to pay me back if I lent him $5 but he was enjoyable to watch as a player despite his on-court behaviour and I think he's actually a very good commentator. The best going around the NBL in fact.

I suspect the NBL knows that not only being a good commentator but that like Gaze he's a very recognisable face for the sport in this country to those who don't follow the NBL much and he has value in holding onto on the off chance he's cleared. Rucker not so much although his commentary was good too.

Reply #609910 | Report this post

Zodiac  
Years ago

Heal doing commentary on the United/Kings game tonight.

Reply #610011 | Report this post

Zodiac  
Years ago

THE folks at Fox Sports ... hypocritical much?

Accused of committing a $20,000 fraud against the Gladstone Amateur Basketball Association, former NBL legend Derek Rucker is contesting the charges.

But in the meantime, Fox has removed him from the commentary, despite most believing he was the best at it last season.

Cut to United-Kings and there's Heal back on the call, yet just this month charged with three counts of fraud relating to an alleged $750,000 scam. Heal hasn't entered a plea.

I'm saying if it's good enough to have Rucker removed off air, then Heal also should not be on air. And if Heal IS to be on air, then that's fine. So should Rucker.

Consistency? I suspect the NBL Games Review Panel is running Fox Sports' commentary decision-making.

http://www.botinagy.com/blog/nbl-rd8-wrap-can-a-favourite-win/

Reply #610512 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Agree with boti. It's not like heal is a great commentator. James Harvey and cam tragardh are much better

Reply #610527 | Report this post

ROFLcopter  
Years ago

^^ all 3 mentioned are ordinary IMO.
Too much backslapping and talk about themselves

Reply #610528 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Point is, if you want 100% security and capital guaranteed, stick your money in a bank and get 2% interest.
I you go chasing huge returns, then you are taking a risk. As I pointed out, sometimes it works out, everyone involved makes a ton of money, investors double their money, and everyone is happy.
But, by definition, sometimes it doesn't work, and investors lose out, then start wailing like stuck pigs, and accusing the promotors of fraud.

If somebody like Shane Heal (or anyone of thousands of people involved in similar schemes) asks me to invest my hard-earned, and promises me stupendous returns, I tell them to take a hike. If you are stupid and greedy enough to invest, then you take the good with the bad.

Reply #610529 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Philadelphia 76ers NBA coach Brett Brown is expected to be called to give evidence in a court case involving Australian basketball great Shane Heal who is facing three counts of fraud relating to an alleged $750,000 scam.
Heal, a four-time Olympian who played for the Minnesota Timberwolves and the San Antonio Spurs in the NBA, was represented by Darren Mahony in the Brisbane Magistrates Court on Friday.
Mr Mahony asked for the mention be adjourned until January 27.
He told the court they were trying to obtain the availability of a witness in the US, understood to be former Australian Olympic coach Brown.

http://www.perthnow.com.au/news/breaking-news/nba-coach-a-witness-for-heal-in-fraud-case/news-story/e8e8d3015dbd1632cb9f78031d78d2a1

Reply #613304 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 1:36 pm, Wed 24 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754