Freethrows
Years ago

37.5% of the season gone

I just had a look at some stats for the season, and we are 3/8 of the way through the season in terms of total games played (42 of 112 regular season games). Not very interesting in and of itself, but I thought it would be interesting to have a look at a few of the stat markers thus far.

The best offensive team (ppg) is Adelaide, at 88.7ppg. The worst is Cairns :( at 78.2.

Adelaide also take the crown as the worst defensive team (surprise, suprise), allowing 97.1ppg. New Zealand are the next worst at 86.7. Sydney are the stingiest team at the defensive end, at 77.6 (and they're on top of the ladder. Imagine that.)

Team. PPG scored.
Adelaide 88.7
Illawarra 87.3
New Zealand 86.9
Brisbane 82.3
Sydney 81.8
Perth 80.9
Melbourne 80.5
Cairns 78.2

Team. PPG allowed.
Sydney 77.6
Perth 79.5
Cairns 80.0
Brisbane 80.3
Melbourne 82.2
Illawarra 85.5
New Zealand 86.1
Adelaide 97.1

I imagine there are folks out there in Hoopsland who have a whole raft of statistical information about points per possession, defensive rebounds, offensive rebounds and whatnot. I just thought it was interesting that Adelaide are the best offensive unit as well as being by far the worst defensive unit. Given that their top two scorers average 37.11ppg between them, that means their remaining none players account for only 60ppg between them. Could that be why they're last?

And could Cairns please put some scores on the board??? (Thankfully they're third best in points allowed.)

Topic #40317 | Report this topic

Anonymous  
Years ago

So you're suggesting that having two people average 38ppg combined is the reason their D sucks? Nope, it's because their D sucks! Scoring isn't an issue.

Reply #609266 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Is "Best Offensive Team" meaningful in a real way? They're the highest scoring, but I don't know if they'd really be considered the best offensive.

Their points percentage is a clear worst at this point.

Sydney have a margin at the top of the ladder. Then there's a bit of a gradient down from there. If the Kings can hold that gap for a bit, it could prove difficult for other sides to reel in within a close league.

Reply #609270 | Report this post

Manu Fieldel  
Years ago

I'd like to see a pace statistic in the NBL

Reply #609276 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Defensive pressure wins in any league worth watching. The 36ers have none. No rim protection no up and in guards no paint prescence of any kind. 97 in a 40 minute format is disgusting.

Reply #609277 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

A pace statistic has been used in the past. The +/- stat doesn't reflect game pace.

Reply #609279 | Report this post

PeterJohn  
Years ago

Interestign theory about Adelaide, Freethrows.

Here are the teams and the percentages of their points scored by their respective top two scorers. Each team's current position on the NBL table is shown as well.

1-Sydney 43.9%
8-Adelaide 43.0%
3-Perth 41.9%
4-NZ 34.9%
2-Brisbane 34.6%
7-Melbourne 34.5%
5-Illawarra 33.2%
6-Cairns 29.9%

So the top 4 teams rank in the top 5 for scoring contribution from their highest scoring 2 players. The interloper is Adelaide.

So I think Anon is right. "It's because their D sucks"

Reply #609486 | Report this post

PeterJohn  
Years ago

Here's my calculatino of average game pace, calculated as possessions per 40 minutes of play. I've calculated possessions as turnovers plus field goal attempts, taking the stats from the NBL's Stats page.

Adelaide 83.2
Illawarra 81.4
NZ 80.8
Melbourne 80.3
Perth 79.2
Brisbane 79.1
Sydney 76.7
Cairns 74.5

Reply #609488 | Report this post

koberulz  
Years ago

I've calculated possessions as turnovers plus field goal attempts
That's not the correct formula.

Possessions (available since the 1973-74 season in the NBA); the formula for teams is 0.5 * ((Tm FGA + 0.4 * Tm FTA - 1.07 * (Tm ORB / (Tm ORB + Opp DRB)) * (Tm FGA - Tm FG) + Tm TOV) + (Opp FGA + 0.4 * Opp FTA - 1.07 * (Opp ORB / (Opp ORB + Tm DRB)) * (Opp FGA - Opp FG) + Opp TOV)). This formula estimates possessions based on both the team's statistics and their opponent's statistics, then averages them to provide a more stable estimate.

Reply #609514 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

"Sydney have a margin at the top of the ladder. Then there's a bit of a gradient down from there. If the Kings can hold that gap for a bit, it could prove difficult for other sides to reel in within a close league."

It's actually only a one-game lead using GB, and they trail both other teams on four losses (Perth and Brisbane) in their season series at this point. Eight wins is good early, but they have to keep winning or they'll lose top spot pretty quickly.

Reply #609517 | Report this post

Dazz  
Years ago

97 in a 40 minute format is disgusting.
Yep.
It's been a issue for years with Joey, now its absurd.
WTF is the guy thinking?

Reply #609528 | Report this post

PeterJohn  
Years ago

Adelaide 36ers' defence has been poor for years, full stop. It hasn't changed under the last 3 coaches. It's pretty amazing, really.

Wright's achievement has been to get them to the playoffs twice in 3 seasons, in spite of the poor defence.

koberulz - I thought there'd be some complicated formula somewhere. But I'm not keen enough to go through all the game box scores and apply that formula. The formula I used can be applied simply to the player stats from the NBL's stats page. I worked on the principle that, if a team has the ball in its possession, either one of its players shoots it or turns it over. I reckon the simple formula is good enough for the use I've made of it.

Reply #609546 | Report this post

koberulz  
Years ago

The flaw in your formula is that it doesn't account for free-throws.

The rest of it is because a possession ends when the other team gets the ball, so a field goal attempt resulting in an offensive rebound doesn't end the possession.

Reply #609552 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

That's not a game pace number. A game pace number is usually 1. Yes there is a complicated formula for it. It's already been invented about 50 seasons ago.

Reply #609650 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 7:35 pm, Thu 18 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754