Very Old
Years ago

NY Times and Joey on Ferguson

http://mobile.nytimes.com/2016/11/13/sports/basketball/australia-college-basketball-recruiting.html

"By playing for the 36ers, Ferguson, a 6-foot-7 guard, receives housing, a car and compensation in the mid-six figures (because of various marketing arrangements) as he prepares for the N.B.A. draft next June, when he will meet the league's age requirements."

agent's easy $50K

"Ferguson’s agent, Happy Walters of Catalyst Sports and Media, said the one-and-done route made little sense for the handful of players each year who are skilled enough to make a quick transition to the N.B.A.

"If a kid can start making 500 grand at age 18, that’s a year that you can’t get back if you decide to go to school," Walters said. “For Terrance, he’s practicing and developing and taking advantages of opportunities that he wouldn’t have otherwise gotten in college.”

Wright looking for his next coaching move ? better paid and more veteran players in the BNL , or up to an assitant in the NBA ?

“To have a guy like that here, our fans can always say that he was a 36er when he’s off playing in the N.B.A.,” Wright said. “That’s big for people here. It connects them to the N.B.A., and it’s important for our marketing. Our logo was on ESPN. That’s not going to happen very often.”

"Wright said he had already been approached by rival teams wanting to know how the 36ers had landed Ferguson.

“I told them, 'No, I ain’t doing that,” said Wright, a former player at the University of Texas. “They said, ‘What do you mean?’ And I was like, ‘We ain’t that close!’” "

"Joe Tertzakian, the general manager of operations for the 36ers, said executives from the Chicago Bulls, the Minnesota Timberwolves and the Nuggets had already visited Adelaide to see Ferguson. Wright said six scouts had attended a recent practice, though Ferguson did not seem to notice."

Topic #40318 | Report this topic

Isaac  
Years ago

Reply #609269 | Report this post

Very Old  
Years ago

sorry didn't see that :(

Reply #609298 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Does half a million come out of 36ers salary cap, if it does and I can't see why it wouldn't they would be over the soft cap allowance, not very good management.

Reply #609300 | Report this post

KET  
Years ago

36ers aren't paying him anywhere near $500k lol. As has been said many many times, he has deals with Under Armor and some undies company. UA would be giving him a significant $$$ portion

Reply #609302 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

He is making $400k this season. The 36ers are paying a small portion of this and for good reason, he is shit. Not NBL import quality for a team that needs a second decent import so badly.

Reply #609303 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

How does the Nbl work that out re salary cap, cars and accomidation are part of the cap, they are saying he's getting paid 500g, even if he's got a deal with sponsors, wouldn't think it's that much on what he has showed here.

Reply #609331 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Yeah it's very odd scenario. Problem is no point someone else paying for your import if your import is shit. Guess they figured if he had worked out, was a short cut. No short cuts in good business though. What makes it more cringe worthy is how much they marketed this kid before he had even made a shot.

Reply #609364 | Report this post

Dazz  
Years ago

Actually, this COULD be a huge problem for the 6's.
The Soft Cap calculations are supposed to be based on deemed salary. If he is making all that money from endorsements, what are the NBL going to deem his salary to be?

Whilst I don't know enough to say whether this is the right move for Ferguson, it does occur to me that a lot of potentially talented young guys are wasting the start of their careers playing college ball.
The irony is, that if they are going to make it to the NBA, and get big $ endorsements, its not such a big deal. But if you are going to spend what's left of your career playing in secondary leagues, for a lot less money, then those 4 years could have been worth a decent amount.

Reply #609369 | Report this post

Old Mate  
Years ago

He should see if there are any options in SEABL , to match his ability

Reply #609383 | Report this post

KET  
Years ago

Actually, this COULD be a huge problem for the 6's.

It would be interesting to find out at the end of the year. It was be incredibly surprising if the 36ers went above the $1.1mil soft cap, let alone near it.

Reply #609387 | Report this post

Zodiac  
Years ago

If Ferguson's $500K counts against the cap clearly they would be well over it. It shouldn't make any difference if the Sixers are only paying a portion of it the lot should count against the cap.

$800K+ on Randle & Ferguson right there, the only question is how much luxury tax they should have to pay.

Reply #609401 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

^^^^ Eactly, they'll be over the cap as much as any other club for total crap results.

Reply #609419 | Report this post

Dazz  
Years ago

Just another big question mark. We have to wait and see how the NBL actually implements this. It's a freakin minefield, and I really have no idea.
If one of the stars of the league was getting say a salary package of $100k, and $400k in endorsements from a team sponsor, we'd have no problem saying that should be assessed at $500k. But is that fair for an under-performing kid like Ferguson?

Reply #609420 | Report this post

KET  
Years ago

This is new territory, because I don't think NBL players have any genuine endorsement deals like this?

A player receiving a contribution from a sponsor or entity generally with an interest to assist a club pay for a player, that should be part of the cap.

For example: Let's say Vilis decides to help 36ers pay for some of Randle's pay packet (he might do some adverts on TV for Vilis), but if he joined another club instead - Vilis wouldn't pay him.

In contrast....

A player having an endorsement deal which is independent of the club should not go towards the salary cap.

For example, if Ferguson went to Melbourne or Sydney or wherever, he would still have his paypacket from UA regardless.

Reply #609428 | Report this post

KET  
Years ago

Last word is redundant...

Reply #609429 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

He is on $400k. But still same queries apply. Adelaide have tried to be cute here and work the system but if this comes back to bite with the output they have gotten by god that could put a fork in the club!

Reply #609440 | Report this post

Dazz  
Years ago

I take your point KET, but where do you draw the line?
And besides, what it is supposed to come down to, is an independent assessment. How does that even work?

Reply #609443 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

IMO players commercial deals shouldn't count against the cap if it can be shown the deal is independent from the club or the business in question is genuinely engaging the player to promote their brand.

If you do it otherwise, you are putting a restriction on players' ability to sign independent commercial deals, which probably isn't legal, and is a deterrent to NBL clubs signing quality talent, which the league wouldn't want to hinder.

Reply #609445 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

He may have signed his endorsement deal prior to signing with the 36ers.

Reply #609450 | Report this post

Zodiac  
Years ago

He wouldn't have an endorsement deal if he wasn't playing somewhere. I think it's pretty obvious the endorsement deal is tied up with the 36ers to some degree as we're taking a huge risk in signing a high school kid which is why we're only paying a portion of his contract.

Not too many teams out there would take the risk the 36ers just have especially assuming a no cut clause in the contract too.

It was always a bad idea for any team that is meant to care about winning games he was never going to produce regular import numbers and the 36ers should've spent their money more wisely but this looks more like Joey doing favours for a mate or two.

Reply #609456 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

I don't think it's obvious at all. The deal is about this kid's future more than the now, companies are getting in early. Whether he was playing in Adelaide or elsewhere is unlikely to be relevant to them.

Reply #609458 | Report this post

KET  
Years ago

Taking a huge risk in signing a high school kid which is why we're only paying a portion of his contract.

To begin with, we're not paying a "portion" of his contract, we're paying his full contract.

The salary cap may see his value differently - but until we have a clue how the NBL will work it, we need to stop putting all the figures together pretending the 36ers are paying $500k to Ferguson. They're not. They may be overpaying, but not to that extent.

The UA endorsement deal isn't recognition of the 36ers risk or helping the 36ers. UA signed with Ferguson expecting he will be in the NBA next year and might be quite good. They could not care less about Adelaide, Adelaide is a totally irrelevant aspect.

Also, I agree with Paul, who pretty much stated my view in a more succinct and articulated manner

Reply #609459 | Report this post

Zodiac  
Years ago

To begin with, we're not paying a "portion" of his contract, we're paying his full contract.

Shouldn't you be directing that at paul & Isaac? If we're paying his full contract it means Under Armour's sponsorship is with the 36ers and thus proves my point.

The salary cap may see his value differently - but until we have a clue how the NBL will work it, we need to stop putting all the figures together pretending the 36ers are paying $500k to Ferguson. They're not. They may be overpaying, but not to that extent.

So now the 36ers aren't paying his contract? You've been getting very defensive about this point but the facts are he's being paid $500K to play for us this season and it should fully count against the cap. It doesn't matter whether you like it or not.

Reply #609466 | Report this post

twenty four  
Years ago

Zodiac, I'd imagine the UA deal had more to do with him entering the NBA next year as a first round pick after one year abroad - having generated some exposure for the brand internationally - than it did with anything the fourth(?) most popular sports team in a city of just over a million people, playing in a league with relatively poor media exposure, are doing

Unless it could be proven that the Sixers somehow orchestrated the deal and that no other team in the NBL or Europe (or China) could possibly have done the same, then the only thing that should count towards the cap is the amount that's on his Sixers contract. And seeing as though Under Armour themselves have sponsored both Brandon Jennings and Emmanuel Mudiay during similar sojourns, I'd imagine that would be a pretty tough thing to prove.

Reply #609467 | Report this post

KET  
Years ago

I don't really get why this is so hard to understand? Paul, Isaac, help me out with explaining it?

If we're paying his full contract it means Under Armour's sponsorship is with the 36ers and thus proves my point.

What? No.

Ferguson would be getting $x figure from the 36ers. That's his full contract.

Ferguson would also be getting $x figure from other endorsements, that's an entirely different contract which has absolutely nothing to do with the 36ers.

UA aren't paying the 36ers. UA aren't paying Ferguson on behalf of the 36ers. UA aren't sponsorsing the 36ers.

UA and the 36ers have nothing to do with each other.

So now the 36ers aren't paying his contract? You've been getting very defensive about this point but the facts are he's being paid $500K to play for us this season and it should fully count against the cap.

Ferguson isn't being paid $500k to "play for the 36ers" this season.

Ferguson is being paid $x to "play for the 36ers" and $x by Under Armor because they see his future in the NBA.

If he sat out for a year and not played basketball he'd still be paid by Under Armor.

Now the NBL value players independent of their contract with a club. This is where a dilemma lies. In the NBA, it's not a problem, endorsement deals do not count as part of the cap, it is seen as completely independent. In the NBL, players don't get endorsement deals so this is a new situation.

The dilemma for the NBL is, as has been discussed, the difference between an endorsement deal like what Ferguson has and an entity "helping out" a club in paying a player. In which case, as Paul has pointed out, we need to look at the difference between the entity having an interest in the player being at the particular club versus being independent.

UA are clearly independent in this situation.The 36ers or Ferguson playing any basketball at all this year likely has zero effect on UA endorsing Ferguson.

Reply #609468 | Report this post

Zodiac  
Years ago

twenty four,

Of course but at the same time no way UA would be paying him a cent this year if he decided not to play anywhere this season and just took a year off. Even if they had to pay overs the following year when he gets drafted so be it but I have no doubt his UA money is conditional on him playing somewhere not Adelaide specifically.

It's just 'good fortune' on the 36ers part that they're only paying a portion of his contract but whatever they're paying is too much really.

On your last point I don't think that needs to be proved at all. It's irrelevant. What if say Melbourne United are only paying a portion of David Andersen's big money deal and a sponsor (his or the teams should be irrelevant) is paying the vast majority of it? What if MU were able to lure another big sponsor to look after Goulding's contract? $1 million worth of talent they might only be paying say $300K of it. That should be against the rules. I know it goes on it always has but doesn't mean it's right.

Why even bother having a salary cap a big city team like Melb or Sydney is always going to be able to attract infinite more possibilities for big money sponsors than an Adelaide or even a Cairns or Illawarra. If you allow all that to go on (which it does and always has to some degree) it debases the whole concept of trying to create an even playing field.

Reply #609469 | Report this post

Zodiac  
Years ago

KET,

This will be my last post on the subject otherwise it will continue going around in circles.

Ferguson would be getting $x figure from the 36ers. That's his full contract.

Not it isn't.

Ferguson would also be getting $x figure from other endorsements, that's an entirely different contract which has absolutely nothing to do with the 36ers.

So if he told UA "You know what I think I'm just going to take a year off this year" I would bet that contract would be torn up quick smart so it would have something to do with the 36ers (or whatever team it was) and I'd go further to suggest there would've been direct contact between UA and the 36ers over the finer details i.e. no cut clause.

UA aren't paying the 36ers. UA aren't paying Ferguson on behalf of the 36ers. UA aren't sponsorsing the 36ers.

All I ever said was that the lot should count against the cap and that's even excluding the three storey townhouse.

UA and the 36ers have nothing to do with each other.

Absolute crap and you know it. Pointless to continue any further discussion.

Reply #609470 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Has Joey improved Ferguson at all? This will hardly be attractive of this keeps up

Reply #609471 | Report this post

Fundingsland  
Years ago

The UA deal for Ferguson pre existed any contract Ferguson had with the 36ers

Ferguson was signed to UA just as Nike signs athletes

Lebron's Nike contract doesn't count towards the Cavs salary as its not salary it is personal sponsorship

Elvis Presley made millions of dollars last year from record sales and he is dead. So it is possible to have income despite not doing anything to earn it. UA would be banking Ferguson for the future and a few 000k to them on that punt isnt a big deal

Remember Exum had a shoe deal before declaring as well and he "could'nt " play anywhere

Reply #609472 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

"The UA deal for Ferguson pre existed any contract Ferguson had with the 36ers"

No it didn't. He signed with the Sixers before his UA endorsement deal

Reply #609473 | Report this post

Fundingsland  
Years ago

so you have seen the contracts and know his agent?

I look forward to you giving us the date of when UA contacted Ferguson and the date that he signed to the 36ers

Reply #609475 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Um, you were the one who said one came before the other. How about you back up what you said with proof?

Reply #609478 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

Zodiac, are you saying UA are paying for some of his contract with the 36ers? If that is the case you are correct, it would count under the cap.

However, if he has a playing contract with the 36ers, and a separate endorsement contract with UA that wasn't brokered by the 36ers then it won't count under the cap.

Reply #609479 | Report this post

Fundingsland  
Years ago

I don't have to prove anything, you are the one calling me out so back your position up

On another note , google is your friend

Reply #609480 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

So you can't back it up then. Good talk.

Reply #609481 | Report this post

Fundingsland  
Years ago

I am waiting for you to provide your proof. You seem to know a lot more than other people.

Reply #609482 | Report this post

Juan  
Years ago

17 mins pg, 5 ppg

Are they not running enough plays for this guy or what. 5 shot attempts a game. Been pretty underwhelming.

Wright is a flog.

Reply #609483 | Report this post

Insider  
Years ago

They are playing him like that on purpose go look at Brandon Jennings stats in Italy when he played there for a year not great doesn't matter he is in the NBA and this kid is a lottery pick he will be in the league laughing at all of you in due time. NBL is shit why risk injury or exposing yourself in an NBL game when you will be making millions next year yea no thanks.

Reply #609484 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

@Insider.

So you're going to show the NBA teams how fit you are under their team culture by displaying zero effort and laughing at people?

You're unemployed I would guess?

Reply #609485 | Report this post

Juan  
Years ago

Basically been invisible in the games I've seen.

Reply #609487 | Report this post

KET  
Years ago

Zodiac, I don't think you're very familiar with the concept of contracts. That, combined with adding some ideas bordering on absurdity isn't helping your cause either.

So if he told UA "You know what I think I'm just going to take a year off this year" I would bet that contract would be torn up quick smart so it would have something to do with the 36ers (or whatever team it was) and I'd go further to suggest there would've been direct contact between UA and the 36ers over the finer details i.e. no cut clause.

They signed him to a contract because they know he'll be in the NBA next year. They signed him early as possible because they want him wrapped up without competition. Because that's what those companies do.

If Ferguson didn't play a year, they wouldn't have torn up his contract at all because what they care about is Ferguson in the NBA, not the NBL.

His entire basis for being endorsed is contingent on him being good in the NBA, not the NBL.

UA is not endorsing Ferguson because he's playing ball in Adelaide. They're endorsing him because he'll be playing ball for an NBA team next year.

I don't think I can emphasise that point harder.

Paul correctly outlined the two scenarios in which the thing could be dealt, and the rational (and reported by NY Times if you read what they actually said) situation is the latter which means UA aren't paying his playing contract.

That doesn't mean the NBL won't value him at $500k, but there's a strong argument (as has been addressed already) to say they shouldn't.

Reply #609490 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

So all private sponsors should be counted against the salary cap? Thats retarded.

Reply #609491 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

The private sponsors thing is interesting.

As described above, it could be easily abused, especially by bigger markets.

An owner could get big corporate friends to sponsor big name players and pay them minimum, could also be a way to avoid Luxury Tax.

You can imagine the LK's, the Bendats would have the corporate clout to do this, which would put teams like Cairns under bigger pressure.

The Ferguson sponsorship to me feels like its not 'gaming' the cap, but its become more tolerated because of his very small impact on the games so far. I would imagine there would be a bigger outcry if he was scoring 30 / game with ADL 11-0.

Reply #609492 | Report this post

KET  
Years ago

The problem is, you think Paul's scenario #1 is occurring because you think UA are endorsing Ferguson on the basis of him playing for the 36ers. As i've addressed, without a doubt that's not the basis for UA endorsing him.

Now, if scenario #1 was occurring, that would be an absolute screw up by the 36ers. It would be shooting ourselves in the foot of the highest order.

I'm not ruling out the 36ers being that stupid, but it would really be absurd and i'm not the kind of person who naturally assumes the absurd possibility has taken place over the rational possibility.

Paul's scenario #2 is how any rational minded lawyers would have done it particularly given the intentions of UA. Ferguson would have had a playing contract with the 36ers of $x, a UA endorsement of $x in a different contract and an undies company endorsement of $x in a different contract. They are reported to be around $500k combined. Combined in the context was reported as multiple contracts not one.

Ofcourse there's also the obvious reasons why UA has a separate contract with him: ie, it's a multi-year deal, the 36ers contract is a single year deal.

Reply #609493 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Zodiac are you understanding this yet? A players sponsorship is 100% independent of his playing contract.

UA would still be paying him even if he didnt play because they have made an investment in him as a future NBA player.

He could of sat out and just kept training on his own until he was NBA draft eligible and they would of paid him. The fact is his agent found him a situation which enabled him to earn MORE money by playing in the NBL.

I dont see how this is hard to understand.

The scenario where players play for teams for nothing is also not an issue. Every player has a value when they come into the league. This value is determined by the NBL. The teams have to pay them at what they are valued or higher if they want. A player cant just sign for $10k if his value is determined to be higher. Its not that simple. Think of the salary cap as anew take on the old Points system.

Reply #609494 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I don't think that the endorsement deal should be counted towards the salary cap but its fair to say the Sixers have indirectly benefited from that deal being in place.

Reply #609495 | Report this post

Camel 31  
Years ago

Seems unlikely you can have UA sponsorship at highschool or college , so unlikely it came prior to signing with 36ers

Reply #609503 | Report this post

Dazz  
Years ago

And yet again, so many people arguing in circles and missing the point.

The soft cap is meant to be assessed against the deemed salaries, as determined by an independent committee. So a team that thinks they've got a bargain, may still find itself over the cap.
Debates about whether endorsements or other stuff should be included, and presumably why the players will be independently valued. It all comes down to how these salaries are assessed.

Reply #609505 | Report this post

KET  
Years ago

What are you talking about Dazz? Most of us have addressed that point.

Infact I made the point that it might actually go hand in hand

Reply #609512 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

He signed the deal when he announced he wouldnt be going to school. He was able to because he had no intention of going to school. He wasnt on the 36ers yet. How hard is this to comprehend? Hes been on a list of potential NBA calibre players for a long time and the moment he was eligible to sign a deal he did. Cmon people it isnt hard to understand how this all works.

Reply #609521 | Report this post

Camel 31  
Years ago

Thought he was signed with Arizona , later, signed with UA while taking the overseas route to the NBA...

Reply #609527 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 6:16 pm, Thu 18 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754