Isaac
Years ago

Kickert and Wright fined for tweets

Kickert's tweet called the 36ers "Adelaide Thirty Snitches" and has since been deleted. Wright's response is still up (for now).

Topic #40321 | Report this topic

Anonymous  
Years ago

But adelaide have no money!!!! What will Joey do!? Maybe should've been the mature bigger person being a coach and all to start with. He abused Brisbane, a team he coached a title with as well. Bit of entertainment for a Thursday though.

Reply #609373 | Report this post

Pop  
Years ago

Fined for tweeting but not a head butt? Really?

Penalised for both, I could handle, but ignoring a physical assult and imposing a fine for a few albeit ill-chosen words ... I'm verging on wordless.

By the way, the 'snitches' line is a clear admission from the perpetrator that there was a head butt. If there was no butt there was nothing to 'snitch' about.

Reply #609378 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Enjoy the future flogging Joey.

Reply #609380 | Report this post

Manu Fieldel  
Years ago

Is it just me or is the NBL out of line here?

Reply #609382 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Nah they are trying to outlaw stupidity. I get it, pathetic at playing the cop, but atleast understand the meaning behind it. And kickert was penalised, you may disagree with the type of punishment but to say this tweet thing was penalised but not the physical act is incorrect. This is the beginning of the end for Joey Wright though, the vultures have started circling and cracks are appearing.

Reply #609386 | Report this post

KET  
Years ago

A coach probably shouldn't be tweeting like that, there's an understandable warning or small penalty.

I'd have let the banter go from the players side of things. It wasn't that bad.

Reply #609388 | Report this post

Luuuc  
Years ago

Queensland is well known for its B ches

Reply #609391 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I think some players need to show a lot more professionalism on social media and this fine is a step in the right direction.

Reply #609392 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Thanks grandma. I quite like seeing players personalities show on social media. As for a coach acting like a fool b Che's please.

Reply #609393 | Report this post

Zodiac  
Years ago

Pop,

Kickert got fined $1000 for the head butt and $500 for this.

Reply #609398 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Thanks grandad. I actually like seeing a coach's personality on social media. Not sure why it's different from players personalities but damned if I won't keep saying it!

Reply #609400 | Report this post

Train  
Years ago

While it was amusing, I agree with with the NBL fining both parties. You need to nip it in the bud before it gets out of hand and it really isn't a professional look.
Funny to see that Kickert bitches off the court as much as he does on the court and Joey needs to not take the bait so easily.

Having said that this will certainly add some spice to the game on Saturday and probably get a few more people interested. Interesting to see who comes out on top.

Reply #609402 | Report this post

Duke Fan  
Years ago

As I've said a few times this season already...Kickert is the biggest flog in the NBL

Reply #609403 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Right or wrong there is definitely a different set of rules for players and coaches on social media. The amount of players in the NBA who have said things been caught sending dick pics etc but if pop did it well he would be out of a job. Leaders lead players play. So yeah as a fan I like seeing players show interest in their profession, coaches need to sit the hell down and just coach. Joey doesn't play anymore.

Reply #609404 | Report this post

ROFLcopter  
Years ago

It'll do more for promoting the game than anything else.

They should be paid!!!

Reply #609406 | Report this post

Ben  
Years ago

Biggest flogs in NBL

Tied 1st - Wagstaff / Wortho
2nd - daylight

Reply #609407 | Report this post

ROFLcopter  
Years ago

Biggest flogs in the NBL

1. Gleeson
2. Daylight

Reply #609410 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I'm not against players showing personality but blaming the other team for dobbing on him after he was punished is retarded. Its not banter, he was being a sook.

Reply #609413 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Biggest flog on this forum.

1. ROFLcopter

That is all.

Reply #609414 | Report this post

ROFLcopter  
Years ago

lel

Reply #609416 | Report this post

Dazz  
Years ago

Firstly, I think Kickett behaved like a juvenile sook.
But I don't know if the NBl needs to get involved? Let the twitterverse see that he's sooking like a little kid, and leave it at that.

Possibly they felt compelled to act by Joey's retort? Its harmless, but not very professional for a Coach.

Reply #609424 | Report this post

Dazz  
Years ago

And, IMHO, a reprimand probably would have been better.
A $500 fine may not be much for someone like Kickett, but it draws a comparison between that and the headbutt.
Also, sets a precedent. You fine a Kickett that much, what happens when a DP does it? Fine them the same amount?

Reply #609425 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Good on Joey for sticking up for his players, I for one think it's great he did it. Better than sitting in the background, at least he has some passion for his team.

Reply #609431 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Joey has passion for Joey. Best way he could actually stick up for his team is to teach fundamental defensive principals. Unless he starts teaching and fans don't see any signs of improvement he will be able to get sucked in to all the twitter wars he wants without any fines coming his way. It's sad a coach would get caught up in that stuff.

Reply #609435 | Report this post

Good for a laugh, nothing much in it. Makes for an interesting match on Thursday. I think some of the reactions in here are more of an over-reaction than a bit of comedic byplay on twitter.

Reply #609463 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Fines for provocative tweets should be halved if they get 200+ likes/retweets

Reply #609464 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Looking forward to the post-match fight.

Kickert certainly has the reach advantage, but Joey has experience and will likely be the less fatigued of the two.

Reply #609477 | Report this post

Ricky Diculous  
Years ago

Now Randle's had a go too...

'If any player in this league thinks that they are going to run their mouth towards MY coach, they are in for a rude awakening. GAME ON!!

Lol. The only person I saw running their mouth off toward Joey was Randle himself, when he was subbed off. He then walked away while HIS coach was speaking to him.

Reply #609573 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

The Adelaide guys need to calm the hell down! they shouldn't be getting into this stuff, when they suck! They don't play defense and they will be smashed in Brisbane. Different if they have the game style to back it up etc, but this is just embarrassing. And its getting a little bit pathetic now. Joey has definitely set a culture.

Reply #609580 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Randle's tweet has got to be an NBL record for longest trash talk tweet by an import without a typo.

Reply #609584 | Report this post

Zodiac  
Years ago

I think it's more about geeing themselves up for the game. Randle knows he was humiliated by Craig on the weekend so is trying to build himself up for a big one. I hope he does play a lot better obviously but he's going to look real silly if Craig shuts him down again.

Reply #609591 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

"If ane plarey in this leek tinks that dey ar gonna too run there mooth twowards MY couch, deey ar n fro a rude away kenny-g. GAME ONE!!"

I have the Gary Ervin Chrome extension.

Reply #609596 | Report this post

AKA  
Years ago

I wonder if Randle will also be fined by the NBL?

Reply #609635 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

If that's what it takes for a team playing shit to get up for a game then god help us. Play some fuckin defence and then see all the good things that can actually happen.... on the court.

Reply #609638 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Reply #609688 | Report this post

Zodiac  
Years ago

Maybe but Kickert needs to stop whinging. Stop headbutting people and sending silly tweets it's not hard.

Reply #609690 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Maybe kickett should concentrate more on the hardwood and less on his twitter feed....Guy is slowly moving up the flog chart this season

Reply #609691 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

As much as Kickert should pipe up and concentrate on basketball, he has a point.

The NBL openly chastised those tweets, now they are leveraging off those same tweets to hype up tonight's game.

Double standards.

Reply #609693 | Report this post

AKA  
Years ago

It's typically hypocritical of the NBL to use those tweets to promote the game yet hand out fines for them being created in the first place! If I was Joey or Kickert I would be asking for a please explain also.

Reply #609711 | Report this post

KET  
Years ago

What kind of fine would this get in the NBL?

Classic Chandler Parsons

Reply #614393 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 6:59 pm, Fri 29 Mar 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754