Aussie
Years ago

The better College path? Humphries and Landale?

I have been wondering lately, which is the better way to go when young Australians choose their College programs.

Look at someone like Jock Landale from Melbourne.

At St Mary's he is averaging 20ppg, 9rgp in 30 minutes (OK, yes it is his third year of College).

As a comparison Humpries is averaging 5ppg, 5.8rpg in 12 minutes (second year).

Coach Cal is no doubt one of the best coaches in the US. Bennett is still a great coach in my opinion. As an example, if Humphries had gone to St Mary's (or somewhere else) he no doubt would have got a lot more playing time and it wouldn't surprise me if he would have been up around 20ppg.

Jack White is another example of a great talent going to an excellent program but getting very limited minutes (although it is his first season).

I guess my question is, would it be better to go to a lower program and get a lot of minutes? Or stay in a more touted program and get very limited minutes?

I'm interested in your thoughts

Topic #40328 | Report this topic

AKA  
Years ago

I think a lot depends on the level of recruit that you are. For a talent like Simmons, going to a P5 program was the right choice (albeit the wrong school).

The play off is to either go to a power conference school and train against the better talent and play limited minutes or got to a mid major program such as SMC and play more minutes and have the chance to contribute a lot more (albeit against lower level comp traditionally). I feel as though Jock made the right choice for him. Coach Bennett is a great developer of players! Most students that spend 4 years at the school get better each year!

Calipari and coach K are great coaches clearly but probably focus more on getting elite talent NBA ready and hopefully become a lottery pick. I imagine that guys like Humphries and Jack White aren't getting as much attention as Malik Monk at UK or Giles at Duke as they aren't one and done types. Accepting scholarship into any school is a GREAT choice! Receive the education whilst preparing for a possible pro career. If the hoops career doesn't work out as planned, you have a college degree.

To say one path is better than the other is wrong and unfair in my opinion. It depends on the player you are and what your aspirations are. I would suggest they both chose the best path fro them.

Reply #609707 | Report this post

Aussie  
Years ago

Delly and Mills went to St Mary's and have turned out pretty good!!

Reply #609712 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Atm
Deng adel 38 in 2018 draft
Isaac Humphries 43 in 2018 draft

It helps to go to a big school.
Humphries and Landale look to be Australia's centres of the future.

Reply #609714 | Report this post

Aussie  
Years ago

Would Delly and Patty be where they are today had they have gone to UK and Duke and got limited minutes?

Reply #609715 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Matisse thybulle at 44...

Reply #609716 | Report this post

Aussie  
Years ago

"It helps to go to a big school.
Humphries and Landale look to be Australia's centres of the future."

St May's isn't considered a "big school" though?

Reply #609717 | Report this post

Aussie  
Years ago

I meant UK or Duke

Reply #609718 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Did anyone see the SMU game on foxtel the other day, Harry Froling looks like he has put on some serious weight and not in a good way...

Reply #609720 | Report this post

Benno  
Years ago

Been watching most of St Marys games Landale is legit his hands are so good. Narr is a great young point guard. Jo acuill is another guy worth checking out from baylor shot blocking machine

Reply #609722 | Report this post

Aussie  
Years ago

Benno, great to hear about Landale, how far do you think he can go? (Level wise).

I have only seen stats. Never seen him play.

Is he very athletic?

Reply #609724 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Humphries at Kentucky, Landale, hunter and perry at st Mary's, Reath at Lsu, Acuil at baylor, Mathiang at louisville, froling at smu, magnay at Tulsa.
+g.gak at Florida, d.gak going to Miami, Kiir deciding, epperson deciding...

Few bigs coming through...

Same with nz
Wynyard at Kentucky, timmins at Washington, salt at Virginia, freeman at Oklahoma and waardenburg going to Miami.

Reply #609725 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Landale has dropped 15 lbs and looks much more mobile and athletic.
Also can shoot the mid range just like Humphries.

Reply #609726 | Report this post

Benno  
Years ago

@Aussie ive watched about 3 games this season, which are totally free to watch on the west coast conference channel. you should check it out. He runs the floor well, is also a great passer but his ability to catch passes is elite he gets so many easy looks inside. Against Nevada he was playing on who draftexpress has going #37 in next years draft and dropped 33 on him. He is the key to St Marys success. All of us Aussie hoops fans should be getting behind these St Marys boys i believe there is 6 or 7 aussie on the team? #15 in the nation!!

Reply #609730 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Kirr to vcu

I watch all the Gaels games.
Naar is such a savvy pg. I wonder if he's 6'1 lean frame can spill over into the major pros.

Reply #609731 | Report this post

Bear  
Years ago

@Aussie, I presume your question relates purely to a college pathway for a basketball future, if it does then the opportunity to be coached by the best should be highly regarded.

That said, they are often at the highest ranked universities and I think you will find that Landale may not have had a UK or Duke type offer, he went where he thought it best for his future and is doing well in his third year.

We can only wait until Humphries is a junior or senior to make a judgment or comparison, but I have always believed the best fit will usually work out best in the end.

College pathways should be about more than just a basketball future though, unless you are a one and done like Simmons was, there are usually many other things to consider.

As it stands, I think they both made excellent choices, the future will be bright for both of them...

Reply #609828 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Just saw Harry Froling warming up and he doesn't look to be carrying too much weight. Hit half a dozen threes in a row. Looking forward to SMU at USC.

Reply #609967 | Report this post

Aussie  
Years ago

What channel?

Reply #609969 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I'm at the game.

Reply #609973 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Best pathway is to go somewhere you are actually wanted, not an afterthought and not at a level where you will be recruited over and not play.
There are countless success stories of players going to a realistic level and actually playing rather than having an unrealistic opinion of their abilities and languishing at the end of a bench for four years or hoping to get lucky and transfer somewhere better.

Reply #609976 | Report this post

Devo  
Years ago

Just saw St Mary's play UAB at Vegas.
Landale looked very impressive. He apparently put in
a lot of hard work in the off season.
Looked good as did Naar.
Krebs did not hit the court,

Reply #610160 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 8:40 am, Fri 26 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754