Anonymous
Years ago

Nba D league salaries

16. D-League compensation has changed since last season, but only slightly. There are only two contract classifications now; A players earn $26,000 (up from $25,500) and B players earn $19,000. Gone is the $13,000 C classification. Daily per diem, meanwhile, has been raised from $40 to $50, with D-Leaguers continuing to receive housing and medical care to offset the comparatively low wages in relation to what they could command in leagues abroad.

Just as a guide when thinking about what NBL teams may need to pay to lure D league players to the NBL.

Topic #40337 | Report this topic

Isaac  
Years ago

Didn't know that they received housing. Full apartment or subsidised?

Reply #609965 | Report this post

Cram  
Years ago

I was reading an article about this today and an interesting thing they mentioned was that salaries are likely to rise further and that with the new cba both the nba and players assoc are looking at adding 2 way contracts as well as a couple of extra roster spaces to nba teams. Similar to what happens in the nhl.

Basically it would mean nba teams could sign young prospects to 2 way deals for roster spots 16 and 17 and keep them in the dleague and pay them dleague money (or slightly higher) and pay them nba money any time they call them up.

Basically it'd mostly impact non drafted guys that the team likes and can usually asign to dleague after camp if they cut, but are free agents to other NBA teams. I think second rounders like Ennis would still go os as the nba team retains their rights

Reply #609982 | Report this post

Zodiac  
Years ago

D-League salaries have always been offensively low and really that is something the players union should fight for in the current CBA negotiations.

Wouldn't take much for a young American kid to give up on their hopes of an NBA team calling them up and just going overseas to earn good money. It's usually why after college they only stick around for a year or two tops in the D-League which I thought was also a bit of a warning sign with Andre Ingram, he had spent 8-9 years playing in the D-League and never played anywhere else.

I remember when Antoine Walker was trying to make a comeback through the D-League and I read a big article on his fall from grace and pretty sure he was boarding with a teammate in a flat at the time. Going from $100 million NBA career to sharing a flat with a teammate.

Reply #609983 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Didn't know that they received housing. Full apartment or subsidised?

They have like a dorm type housing and a daily expense account for food. This is only during the season though.

As a comparison, even most small clubs in Europe (so we are talking hundreds of clubs here), provide their players and families with 10 months of free housing, paid living expenses, and free cars and transporation. They usually also pay for internet and phone service, and for player's kids to go to private schools.

So the D-League salaries seem ridiculous.

Reply #610421 | Report this post

Bear  
Years ago

D-League players are obviously underpaid, I didn't realise just how poorly they were paid until this thread, compared with some of the outrageous salaries NBA stars earn it is mind blowing really...

Reply #610424 | Report this post

Insider  
Years ago

It's not that bad considering you get your room and board covered it's actually pretty good compared to what MLB minor leaguers get paid. MLB has the highest paid players if you wanna go off that logic. Dleague doesn't create the revenue the NBA does so they shouldn't be paid like they do.

Reply #610439 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 1:16 pm, Sat 20 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754