Anonymous
Years ago

Dante Exum struggling for court time with Utah Jazz

DANTE Exum appears on the outer at Utah, with his NBA court time plummeting in a worrying sign for the Australian's career.

Exum was not called on by Jazz coach Quin Snyder in Monday’s (Tuesday AEDT) 112-103 away win over Minnesota. It was the first DNP (coach’s decision) of the 21-year-old’s NBA career.

In Utah’s previous two games, the point guard spent all but 13 minutes on the bench and failed to score a point following the return of star George Hill from injury

Topic #40360 | Report this topic

Anonymous  
Years ago

The lack of playing time will hinder exum's development. Should exum ask for a trade.

Reply #610371 | Report this post

KET  
Years ago

Head to the Spurs ;)

Reply #610372 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

The utah coach is just insane by making mack the reserve point guard ahead of exum.

Exum needs to be out there. He is #5 pick in what was supposed to be a super loaded draft.

Reply #610374 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Ginobili replacement KET I think he would fit there very well

Reply #610382 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Exum needs to leave utah to gain more playing time.
If i were Dante, I would ask for a trade.

Reply #610387 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Wildcats could do with a PG ;)

Reply #610388 | Report this post

Luuuc  
Years ago

Wildcats need someone who can hit the 3 at > 31%

Reply #610389 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Dante needs to leave utah jazz ASAP.
The jazz coach is just insane by
not playing him.

Reply #610390 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

He got a few starts when George hill was injured and didn't do much with them. I think he needs to lift or he could be back in the NBL in a few years

Reply #610391 | Report this post

Shaggy  
Years ago

What will hurt him more is that the Jazz are winning all these games with his little playing time. The games he was logging more minutes in, the Jazz were losing so he'll definitely be out of flavour now. His only chance short term is if someone in front of him picks up an injury.

In a strange way, it could work in his favour. I always check for the Jazz highlights and his aren't anything to write home about. Look at his pre-NBA highlight material and you'll see a coast to coast speedster, quick step off the mark and dunk. None of that has really materialsed with him (pre and post injury) and that is probably what the Jazz front office were hoping for when they drafted him. Coach Snider has really been his "sponsor" to date but I'd say he may have worn out his welcome. This "DNP - coaches decision" phase he may go through in the next few days/weeks/months might be the wake up call he needs to get him just attacking the rim like we know he can. For whatever minutes he may get on for, he's gotta go for broke. Attack the rim and get some confidence back.

Reply #610406 | Report this post

Bear  
Years ago

Still early in the season and confidence may take a little longer to build, I wouldn't be too worried until January should this non-playing continue.

Reply #610410 | Report this post

Cram  
Years ago

His chance will come. The key will be whether he can play with some freedom and aggression which, to this point, he hasn't ever shown at nba level despite his coaching staff seeming to give him plenty of opportunities

Reply #610414 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

They're in win-now mode and Hill has been very good for them. Add to that Mack and Neto competing for his minutes.

Reply #610417 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Cram, he has already had chances this season.

Reply #610423 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Dante has already lost a year due to injury. He needs to play. If he continues to get " DNP~CD " for the next few months I think he should ask for a trade.

Reply #610443 | Report this post

Mick  
Years ago

I don't see him as a starter. In fact I don't know if I even see him as an NBA player.

What is his elite skill gonna be? What is his position? Does he have the head for it?

At present, his handle is just not good enough to play PG, and his shot isn't good enough to play on the wing. So where do you play him? Both skills are improvable (see how Paul George, Giannis and Kawhi have all gone from below-average ball handlers to good ones in recent seasons...same with their jumpshot).

The kid is fast, but like all Australian products ever not named Ben Simmons, the handle is so loose he can't take advantage of his speed on a basketball court.

The only NBA-level skill he has right now is that he is an average defender, everything else is below par.

He really should have gone to college, because he was nowhere near good enough to bypass that system.

Hopefully he puts it all together, but it's not looking good so far...I just don't know what his upside is at this point...what kind of player comparison is his ceiling? Where does he fit?

Reply #610458 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Cite the media source when quoting full articles.

Reply #610459 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

The kid is 21 years old, and has just come off an ACL injury. He has elite potential, it will take time but he will get there.

Reply #610502 | Report this post

KET  
Years ago

The question isn't so much Exum's talent at this point, it's whether he fits in the Jazz direction.

He's lucky to get 10 minutes a game at the moment - players who get that at 21 tend to be treated as disposable and they're not given much of a window of opportunity.

I actually do think he'd fit very nicely in the Spurs, and we all know just how good they are at developing players and providing opportunities. There's a stability at the Spurs you just can't get anywhere else.

Reply #610571 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Agree college would have been a better path, they need to walk before they run, plus it would have given him an education in case it didn't pan out for him basketball wise.

Sometimes patience is an important lesson to learn

Ben Simmons could be exactly the same

Reply #610584 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Exum into the starting five today. Hoops' voice has been heard

Reply #610851 | Report this post

XY  
Years ago

Unfortunately not doing much with the opportunity though.

Reply #610855 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Exum finished playing 18 minutes. 1/6 FG and four turnovers. 5 points. -6 while his backup Mack got 33 minutes for 11/5/5 and +15.

Good line from Joe Ingles however. 15 points, 4 rebounds and 4 assists. 6/8 FG and 3/4 3P.

Reply #610870 | Report this post

Mimas 78  
Years ago

testing

Reply #613031 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 5:16 pm, Thu 25 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754