Chris
Years ago

Corey Webster arrested; now suspended 1 game

Webster was arrested after an incident in a bar last night. Go to stuff.co.nz for the article. Not good.

Topic #40366 | Report this topic

Isaac  
Years ago

Breakers statement:

The club is aware of an incident involving Corey Webster last night and his subsequent arrest on an alleged minor assault charge. The club is making further enquiries into what occurred and has no further comment to make at this time, but will however address this incident with the media once further information is available.
I wonder if the further enquiry is "Corey, WTF?!"

Next Breakers games is New Zealand hosting Illawarra. Hope it doesn't prove to be a distraction...

Reply #610461 | Report this post

Zodiac  
Years ago

This guy just can't seem to keep out of trouble.

I wonder if the Breakers rule a line through him at the end of the season?

Reply #610464 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Not a good look. The team certainly doesn't need this distraction during a close season. Will be interesting to see how NZ play this out. His form is certainly below his best also, and physically looks underdone in comparison with last year.

Reply #610471 | Report this post

CT  
Years ago

There's actually cideo footage of him being thrown out:https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=qvJeATp31dw

Reply #610479 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

From memory the Breakers were forgiving with Te Rangi and Henry's assaults.

I expect Webster to be benched for 5 mins for being naughty.

Reply #610484 | Report this post

FSTOS  
Years ago

Should have been arrested long ago for assaulting a decent FG%

Reply #610507 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Wonder if he called Cedric with his one call he gets from jail?

Reply #610509 | Report this post

KET  
Years ago

hahaha CT

Reply #610510 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Webster suspended for one game.

Breakers general manager Dillon Boucher said the club was limited in what it could say due to the police investigation and Monday's court date.

"At this time I would like to stress that Corey maintains his innocence of the charge and will defend himself vigorously through the court process," he said on Thursday.

" ... However the club has found reason to suspend him for his actions, not for the charge alleged by the police ... that's for the court to decide.

"But it's a breach of our club and team values."
Full story

Reply #610540 | Report this post

So what were his actions if not assault as alleged by the charge from the police?

Reply #610541 | Report this post

AngusH  
Years ago

The actual act of getting arrested? Regardless of what he did or didn't do leading up to that, the fact that he was in a bar and ended up being arrested more than warrants a suspension I would think...

Reply #610542 | Report this post

Jack68  
Years ago

This guy cant seem to stay out of trouble.

-Drugs twice
-Cheating on his pregnant wife (coincided with the team having issues last year)
- Diversion previously from assault
- alleged Bar fights

The breakers preach this "no dickhead" policy and then hand him multiyear deals.

A 1 game suspension is far from a stern approach, considering some of his former team mates were dealt harsher punishments for less.

It would be interesting to see what the rest of the team thought if they weren't on a gag order

Reply #610546 | Report this post

MACDUB  
Years ago

He was suspended one game for breaching team protocol regarding being out past midnight and drinking on a Tuesday mid-week. Same as breaching team curfew really.

The Breakers are erring on the side of caution with regards to the notion of 'innocent until proven guilty'. NZ employment law is very employee focussed.

Expect that they will come down hard if he is found guilty..

They may still come down hard even if he isnt guilty (i.e. rip up contract); but probably not an appropriate reaction at this point.

Reply #610554 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Don't agree with suspension. Innocent until proven guilty. 12.30 mid week - who cares! Breakers should have supported him until found guilty.

Reply #610574 | Report this post

Mystro  
Years ago

He wasn't up front with the team or management with what happened.

Reply #610751 | Report this post

koberulz  
Years ago

Don't agree with suspension. Innocent until proven guilty.
If the suspension is for the violation of team rules, he has been proven guilty.

But yes, I do wish professional sports teams would stop acting like their players work 9-5 jobs.

Reply #610752 | Report this post

Oberon 39  
Years ago

The guy goes against all the Values that team used to be renowned for, Breakers harp on about a strong family image and values and the players sign the contracts knowing this so going out midweek and calling in sick on his "9-5 job" practice is a violation.

Last year he was caught up in controversy with team mates and then the team was said to stand by him through his marital problems after he violated the family values.

Breakers are weak handed these days so he got off lightly, the no dickhead policy is a laugh considering it seems to be shooting them out like a dickhead factory.

The suspension might do them some good considering his alleged assault on a decent FG%

Reply #610754 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

"I do wish professional sports teams would stop acting like their players work 9-5 jobs."

I don't think many do, quite the opposite, and I would like to see sports teams, the media and the public stop pretending players work 24-hour jobs.

Reply #610757 | Report this post

KET  
Years ago

I don't think many do, quite the opposite, and I would like to see sports teams, the media and the public stop pretending players work 24-hour jobs.

There was an article on The Advertiser yesterday about a crows player who was guilty for going 50 km/hr in a 40 km/hr zone. As if we, the public, need to know crap like this. Sometimes the media need to consider relaxing on the intrusion of people's lives.

Reply #610770 | Report this post

koberulz  
Years ago

I don't think many do, quite the opposite
What else would you call a midnight curfew?

Reply #610872 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

You're going to have to explain to me how a midnight curfew relates to a 9-5 job?

Reply #610876 | Report this post

koberulz  
Years ago

Basketball players work nights. They should still be up and about at midnight.

Reply #610877 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

They mostly work in during the day. They only work around 40 nights per year.

Reply #610889 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 12:54 am, Fri 29 Mar 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754