Jumpshot
Years ago

Kings v Hawks 5/12/2016

Kings really only have 2 scorers - Lisch and Newley. So the Hawks will win by 10. Powell needs to step up or he is gone.

Topic #40397 | Report this topic

Isaac  
Years ago

Cadee and Whittington?

Reply #611401 | Report this post

AngusH  
Years ago

Powell will not be gone. We need to replace Blake, but that's it. I don't care if we lose the Hawks game tonight, it's not our talent or roster that is hurting us, we're just not generating enough good offense out of our half-court shuffle set at the moment... too many passes around the perimeter before it's low shot-clock 3s and relying on Newley or Lisch to create something from nothing.

Reply #611402 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Kings look great when they don't run the shuffle.

Reply #611405 | Report this post

Very Old  
Years ago

the pure continuity shuffle was good with a 30 sec shot clock ( or 35 in NCAA) and a full 30 reset on a defensive foul or offensive rebound.

Its not as good a fit for today's rules, other wise the old "the wheel" offence would have likewise have survived as an effective offense into the 35sec shot clock era of the NCAA, it didn't and the shuffle ( in its pure repetitive form ) won't either.

Reply #611408 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

Kings need to start playing defence again. In their win streak they were forcing something like 18 turnovers per game, last round it was 8.5.

Their scoring hasn't dropped away but other teams are piling on the points. Three of the past four games they've given up more than 90, that only happened once in the first 10 games.

Reply #611418 | Report this post

AngusH  
Years ago

Whittington's foul trouble has been the biggest reason our D has dropped away IMO... he needs to stay on the court, which means less swiping at the ball on opponent drives... whether they're clean or not, they are easy calls for NBL refs to make.

Reply #611426 | Report this post

Wookiee  
Years ago

The Kings definitely need to fix their piss weak defence that has been losing them games, I think that's the primary key...

Running a better offence would be nice as well, but if I had to choose one, it would be fixing their D...

Agree that it's not just two scorers, although both Cadee and Whittington have been in a funk lately, so they need to come in focused...

Hawks by at least 8 if I have to base it on both teams current form...

Reply #611428 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

Yeah, he and Newley create a lot of trouble defensively when they're on together with their length and athleticism.

Tonight's a big test because the Hawks will roll 11 guys through whereas the Kings only seem to have seven the coach trusts with Blake gone.

Maybe Prewster will get a few more minutes tonight but he hasn't looked as comfortable on the floor as he did last year. He's looked susceptible to pressure and there will be plenty of that tonight.

Reply #611429 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Great idea having gaze teaching D ;)

Reply #611430 | Report this post

LV  
Years ago

Is Blake coming back to Aus eventually, or are the Kings replacing him?

Reply #611436 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Bevo to show why he's the best coach in Australia

Reply #611440 | Report this post

Wookiee  
Years ago

Bevo to show why he's the best coach in Australia

I'd rather get beaten by a better coached team than a team with just one import going off or making a big shot, so if this happens, fair enough...

I think the company line is something along the lines of "we're leaving it up to Steve to see what his situation is" but they're still of the thought that it will be highly unlikely that he will be back...

Saying that, I certainly hope that they have another option coming in within a round or two... They can't wait to bring someone in if they want them to qualify for playoffs, otherwise it's pointless... I don't think they need a starter level player, but I'd rather have a starter level import and under play them than get a scrub in and haev their time on court be either non existent or rubbish...

Hopefully without Steve the Kings of the first few rounds click again and they turn it up after a much longer break at home and not a long travel down the freeway...

Reply #611461 | Report this post

Jumpshot  
Years ago

Cadee, apart from some freakish shooting early on, has not been consistent - which is the story of his career. His defence leaves a bit to be desired. He is at best a backup guard. Whittington has been on and off, and has been in foul trouble. He has a habit of running beside the man with the ball and called for soft touchy fouls. If you are going to foul, make it count.

Reply #611517 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

I think Cadee leads the league in +/-. Sydney are +89 with him on court and -48 with him off. Whittington (+74) is the only other King who's above +40.

He has been a very good leader for the Kings this year and they have suffered because of his form slump. But yes, his D can always improve.

Reply #611519 | Report this post

Zodiac  
Years ago

Whittington looking switched on tonight

Reply #611524 | Report this post

SteveK2  
Years ago

That was a superb first quarter particularly near the finish when the refs swallowed their whistle. Two questionable soft calls on Whittington and no unsportsmanlike when Prewster went down heavy and had to sub out with blood, lets see how consistent with that call the refs are tonight.

Reply #611527 | Report this post

SteveK2  
Years ago

Incredible game to watch so far, like two heavyweights going at it. I got some new respect for Gaze coaching, he's really taking the tactical game up to Bevo with Jeromie being the surprised sub and running some new offensive sets.

Reply #611531 | Report this post

AngusH  
Years ago

Hill has been a little rough and has made some mistakes, but I like his hustle, I think we've missed that when Whittington isn't on the court.

Reply #611533 | Report this post

Rabbit 51  
Years ago

Hill has also sat out of 8 games this season because there were not enough minutes to go around. He is great when given the opportunity.

Reply #611534 | Report this post

AngusH  
Years ago

Yeah, I think I've been as vocal as most re: playing Hill over Tommy (although he's done OK tonight).

Reply #611535 | Report this post

SteveK2  
Years ago

For someone with his size and bulk, Jeromie moves very very well. A lot of his mistakes come from his urgency to try and make strong, energetic plays. Its hard to blame him with the few minutes he's been given. I just feel that if he can switch it on and off, it'd give him better control and feel for the game. That deceptive quickness can work to his advantage when his big man match-up is caught off-guard and to do that he needs to keep them guessing his pace.

Reply #611536 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

How good is this game? It seems almost every game is high-quality over the past month. Love it.

Reply #611538 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

16 point turnaround from the Hawks. Could get interesting.

Reply #611540 | Report this post

Luuuc  
Years ago

What game are you guys watching? It's been pretty much one way traffic since quarter time.

Reply #611541 | Report this post

AngusH  
Years ago

The press really kills the shuffle when it takes us all 8 seconds to get it over the half way line.

Reply #611542 | Report this post

Luuuc  
Years ago

Ha ... and after I write that the Hawks go on a 12-2 run. You're welcome ;)

Reply #611543 | Report this post

Very Old  
Years ago

yep, sure does

Reply #611544 | Report this post

AngusH  
Years ago

Cadee's had a couple of awful turnovers this quarter.

Reply #611545 | Report this post

AngusH  
Years ago

"No Cad... YES CADEE!" = all Kings fans most the games the past couple of years.

Reply #611546 | Report this post

AngusH  
Years ago

I don't get why the Kings guard non-shooting 5s and 4s so tight at the 3pt line.

Reply #611549 | Report this post

Zodiac  
Years ago

Why wasn't Lisch called for that carry?

Reply #611550 | Report this post

AngusH  
Years ago

Never seen Tommy challenge so many shots around the basket.

Reply #611551 | Report this post

AngusH  
Years ago

Rotnei Clarke... jeezus.

Reply #611552 | Report this post

AngusH  
Years ago

Kings doing a great job of leaving Oscar open tonight.

Reply #611553 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

Reports of the death of Rotnei Clarke have been greatly exaggerated.

Reply #611554 | Report this post

AngusH  
Years ago

And again.

Reply #611555 | Report this post

AngusH  
Years ago

Well, that was a pretty huge block.

Reply #611556 | Report this post

SteveK2  
Years ago

Great game by both teams. The Hawks chucked the kitchen sink at the Kings and Sydney picked it up and threw it back! :)

Reply #611557 | Report this post

AngusH  
Years ago

Yeah, entertaining, and always felt like Hawks were going to work there way back in with some crazy shooting from Oscar and Clarke. A real relief to pick up the W to be honest, not feeling good about the Cairns or Melbourne games coming up.

Reply #611558 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Since when has there ever been a carry rule? Never.

Reply #611559 | Report this post

AngusH  
Years ago

Travels and illegal screens seems to be the emphasis this year. Maybe carries will be next year.

Reply #611560 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Just a fantastic game, Gaze really is a good coach.

Reply #611562 | Report this post

Benno  
Years ago

Wonder who kings will sign, could be hard to beat with a good 3rd import

Reply #611563 | Report this post

Luuuc  
Years ago

Kings fans would have to be pretty pleased with that.
When you can cop some runs from a quality team in their own building and still come away with the win, that's a good sign.

Reply #611564 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

One rumour I heard is that there was a bit of a verbal stoush between Blake and Gaze after a game, and Blake pulled the pin after that.

As said, company line is that they're waiting on him, but Rosen's chatter during the game had him seeming doubtful, and I'd say that he'd know enough people in Sydney to have heard the truth.

Reply #611565 | Report this post

Matt  
Years ago

Steve Blake has a net worth of around $30 million back end of his career he didn't need the NBL lol

Reply #611566 | Report this post

AngusH  
Years ago

They said that the Kings have an announcement to make on Blake tomorrow, and I imagine it's either his replacement or that an announcement of a replacement will be made shortly.

Reply #611567 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

Kings 4-5 with Blake, 5-1 without him. Don't think they're holding their breath, especially with Lisch and Cadee combining for 45 tonight.

Reply #611568 | Report this post

AngusH  
Years ago

I don't think it's a simple as blaming Blake, but it would be nice to get a reliable backup 1/2 guy who isn't ex-NBA and won't be a distraction.

Reply #611569 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

It's not about blaming Blake, just acknowledging he wasn't getting the job done. His defence was poor and oppo went at it consistently. When your import is being shown up by Adam Doyle and Damon Heuir it's time to look elsewhere.

Reply #611570 | Report this post

Benno  
Years ago

"They said that the Kings have an announcement to make on Blake tomorrow, and I imagine it's either his replacement or that an announcement of a replacement will be made shortly."

who said that?

Reply #611572 | Report this post

Old Mate  
Years ago

Travel weary Hawks was the difference in this one

Reply #611573 | Report this post

AngusH  
Years ago

I'm sure Rosen said the Kings were expecting to make an announcement tomorrow on Blake, during the 3rd or 4th Q.

Reply #611575 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I would imagine it might be update on Blake and his families circumstances.

Reply #611576 | Report this post

SteveK2  
Years ago

IMO its not as simple as saying Blake's defence stank or he was in a shooting slump, etc etc. The problem with Blake was the differences in style of play and types of players between NBA and NBL. The old adage "You can't teach an old dog new tricks" aptly fits the situation.

I think for most of his playing career, Blake was used to having team mates that were far more athletic, able to move up the court faster and finish spectacularly in offense. He fed off offensive juggernauts that can draw multiple defenders when they penetrate.

In defense, he's more likely to have bigs that are very intimidating in both size and ability to protect the rim so his responsibility was mainly to shadow his man at the perimeter and funnel their path towards that paint enforcer.

He was trying to do what he's been doing all his career but it wasn't working without those playing environment or types of team mates he needed. Changing his play style was probably too much to ask at this stage of his career in a foreign country with different sets of rules and conditions.

Reply #611578 | Report this post

Air Delay  
Years ago

Great game tonight!

Kings shouldn't sign anyone new. It'd stuff their rotation. Gaze is gonna have enough trouble finding minutes once Khazzouh is back.

And who we kidding, Gaze won't play deeper than 8 or 9 anyway, so may as well invest the $$$ in youth & energy.

Reply #611581 | Report this post

ME  
Years ago

I wouldn't sign another import. I think Cadee needs the minutes he is getting, and they're probably not going to do much better with the money left on the table. I would give Blake's spot to an up-and-coming Aussie guard, or even an old vet who can contribute but doesn't warrant many minutes - someone like Rhys Carter - and then let this team marinate. They're going to be just fine I think.

It was a great game to watch too.

Reply #611582 | Report this post

Luuuc  
Years ago

Yeah I agree that the Kings are in a nice position as it is. They've got the luxury of not needing anyone else at the moment, so I think they'd be wise to keep the extra import spot up their sleeve as injury insurance just for the time being.
As the playoff qualifying deadline approaches they can reassess any areas of need before making their move, possibly allowing a higher-value player for the same money since they're paying for a shorter time.

Reply #611584 | Report this post

LV  
Years ago

Indeed interesting that Cadee finds form again with Blake out of the picture. Kings will be thinking very carefully about their next move. Maybe a strong defender and passer who doesn't demand a lot of the ball might be the right way to go.

Reply #611585 | Report this post

LV  
Years ago

That is, assuming rumours are true and Blake isn't likely to return

Reply #611587 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

I reckon that business about Blake not being able to adapt to a game without athletic teammates is a bit weak and unlikely. He made an excuse about the different game balls at one point. A point guard out of any position should be able to adapt their game to suit. His percentages were poor and you can't blame that too much on teammate athleticism.

Realistically, I think our league is reasonably strong for a guy on his way out of the NBA, and I think our locals and established imports are at points in their careers where they have more drive and motivation.

Reply #611590 | Report this post

Yeah I don't think we can blame the results on Blake, but his involvement isn't a coincidence... The Kings looked like the team before his arrival tonight and not just because he wasn't there... Greg was back to form, still had one or two silly fouls (and I agree about his running along side his player, so frustrating!) but still amazing to watch... Those few inbounds plays were nice...

Great win from the guys tonight, weathered the predictable barrage of threes, leaving Oscar open to nail his first one was a BIG mistake, I don't care if he's missed his previous 20...

Reply #611596 | Report this post

JWC  
Years ago

Noticed Luke Kendall sitting on the bench with the coaching staff, in what looked like Kings gear, Is he on staff or could he be being considered as a replacement for Blake? I've no Idea if he is fit or still playing. etc. Anyone know what he is up to these days?

Reply #611598 | Report this post

koberulz  
Years ago

Seemed like a good game from the bits and pieces I caught between replays and close-ups.

Reply #611600 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Kendall is and A/Coach.

Reply #611602 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Blake really commmented on the type of ball the NBL uses? Yikes, a man searching for answers! Check your birth certificate, it's in there. NBL is solid now product wise, you can't take a night off in this league. Blake would've had minimal motivation and was too old.

Reply #611614 | Report this post

Jumpshot  
Years ago

First time Powell played serious D and rebounding, and what a difference.. Cadee, Whittington and Garlepp also stepped up. How many blocks did we get when Powell and Whittington played serious ball? Lisch and Newley awesome as usual. Well done Kings !!!!

Reply #611617 | Report this post

Jumpshot  
Years ago

And F@#$K YES Kings need another PG ASAP - whether it be an import or Aussie, for when Cadee has an off night or someone is injured. We have only Prewster, who looks so unsure all the time.

Reply #611619 | Report this post

AngusH  
Years ago

If it's not an import, not sure who else is out there as far as backup PGs go? Is Isaac Turner still on the practice squad? Not sure he is a PG as much as a 3pt shooter, but he's technically an import who could maybe play spot minutes and give us some insurance on ball handling duties if Lisch or Cadee pick up an injury.

Reply #611634 | Report this post

Freethrows  
Years ago

Isaih Tueta did a pretty good job for Breakers. Is he allowed to sign with another team after playing as an injury substitute for NZ? I don't see why not.

Reply #611646 | Report this post

Air Delay  
Years ago

Isaac Turner IA definitely more of a two, but I think that's good if it means none of this combo guard BS & Lisch is THE POINT guard every minute he is on the floor.

He runs the team & IS the best player in the league.

Reply #611665 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

A letter to the Kings fans explaining his family situation. Nothing more.

Reply #611683 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 9:01 pm, Thu 28 Mar 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754