HoldenV8
Years ago

NBL All-Star Game

Just throwing this out there.....

With the number of current and ex-Aussie Boomers in the NBL including higher profile players like Andersen, Jawai, Goulding, Gibson and Lisch, and with the number of talented imports in the league, would it be a good idea to revive the NBL All-Star game with the Aussies playing the imports? Or even an ANZAC team (with the Kiwis obviously) playing the imports?

Obviously if they did bring it back they would need everyone on board with it, unlike the last effort in Adelaide where players were pulling out 'injured' left right and centre because their clubs didn't want them to play at the risk of losing them due to a game that wasn't for championship points. They would also need to schedule it a lot better. Having the game 3 days out from Christmas like they did in 2012 was a bad idea.

If they did bring it back, where would they hold it? When would they play it?

For mine the leading candidates as host should be Perth Arena, Vector Arena or Hisense Arena, mostly because that is where they are likely to draw a good crowd. And I would play it in mid-late January rather than before Christmas.

or, should the NBL even have an All-Star Game?

Topic #40405 | Report this topic

Isaac  
Years ago

Personally, I'd sit on it for a year. Focus on the core stuff for a bit longer.

A format where some pride is on the line makes sense to me. Australasia vs Imports is probably the best chance for that?

There are some reasonable options in the league though.

Randle/Trice
Ware/Clarke
Prather/Craig
Whittington/Powell
Mitchell/McKay

Lisch/Cadee
Penney/Goulding
Newley/Abercrombie
Bairstow/Johnson
Knight/Jawai

Might want to swap others in for a couple of local plodder bigs. Majok might suit an ASG format more. I've probably missed some obvious options.

Reply #611588 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Not really a fan of an all star game until we have more star power

Reply #611592 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Don't think we'll ever get much more star power than this.

Reply #611593 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Randle/Trice
Ware/Clarke
Prather/Craig
Whittington/Mitchell
McKay/Powell

Lisch/Cadee
Goulding/Sobey
Newley/Abercrombie
Bairstow/Johnson
Ogilvy/Jawai

Reply #611594 | Report this post

Dazz  
Years ago

All-Star games, State of Origin, etc, really need a big hook. Something for the fans to get their teeth into, and something for player pride to attach to.

In some sports around the globe, all-star games are an institution, and nomination is an honour. I don't see that working here.

The problem with Locals vs Imports, is WHO is going to support the imports? And flowing on from that, why would imports sign up to a team that's just going to be a "punching bag."

Maybe an idea would be to pick Australia based players for a Boomers "B" team, and have them play an Asian team? Although didn't we have that for a couple of years and it folded?

One idea which I think has merit, is to put together essentially a show-case team, and take it to the USA. I don't know how it would work, maybe play against some D-League teams, or maybe an NBA team that didn't make the play-offs???
The idea being to show-case some of the guys playing here (including imports) and maybe bring them to the attention of NBA teams. Maybe entering said team in one of the Summer Leagues, but again I don't know how the timing would work.

Reply #611599 | Report this post

Baller#3  
Years ago

There aren't enough teams yet in my opinion! I don't think its good to have an All Star game with 1/4 of the league participating.

Id wait till we have at least 10-12 teams!

Reply #611606 | Report this post

KET  
Years ago

I've never enjoyed any All-Star game, ever. Even the NBA allstar weekend the best part is the skills/3pt and dunk contests.

Reply #611607 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Dear god no. The NBA one has lost appeal over the years an NBL one is meaningless.

Reply #611612 | Report this post

ROFLcopter  
Years ago

Matt Knight should not even be in the discussion for all star.

Reply #611735 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 1:42 am, Wed 24 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754