FRI:
Adelaide Lightning v Dandenong Rangers 19:30

SAT:
Sydney Uni Flames v Bendigo Spirit 19:00
Townsville Fire v Melbourne Boomers 19:00

SUN:
Perth Lynx v Dandenong Rangers 13:00

Some very tough games to tip IMO
Normally I'd favour Sydney Uni in both matches, except they've now lost Belinda Snell to a knee injury for at least a few weeks, and she's been having a seriously good season so that's going to hurt. Good opportunities for Graham & Nicholson to step up. I assume Asia Taylor will be back this round after missing last weekend due to concussion.

Dandenong @ Perth on Sunday should be a ripper too.

Topic #40427 | Report this topic

Luuuc  
Years ago

Caps ($1.57) vs Flames ($2.25) tips off in a few minutes on YouTube

Reply #611939 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I wish you lot would stop posting odds - there is enough sports gambling promoted in the world

Reply #611954 | Report this post

Luuuc  
Years ago

For anyone who's not digging the Taipans-Kings game, in the WNBL the last-placed Adelaide Lightning host first-placed Dandenong in a few minutes.
Should be a ... game of basketball

Reply #612113 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Another great Boomer effort.3 players fouled off,coach tech foul and loose by nearly 30. Import fouled out in 15 min. Is it players or coaching?

Reply #612384 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

^ coaching it has to be, plus player selection, it gets worse all the time for boomers, they were better off with Chante Black by the looks of things.

Reply #612392 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Put the developing players in the deep end.
I'm sure they can play better.

Reply #612416 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Boomers lack size, depth and any star talent.

Reply #612419 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I heard they don't get much developement at training, lots of standing around, so possibly bit harsh to throw them in at the deep end, but then you could always look at it as they may not do any worse and at least they are getting experience.
Tough one to choose, but think it's fair to say they probably should be looking at the coaching area, they are the ones who select and train these players.

Reply #612420 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Didn't they just resign the coach for 3 years?. Imagine if they were winning he would have got a 10 year gig

Reply #612423 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Why don't they play Rebecca ott.

Reply #612424 | Report this post

Melb Fan  
Years ago

Having only been following through live stats as I couldn't find a stream, so this may be wrong, but the foul count did seem very lopsided - are the Townsville refs known for this? I mean as there was no stream I couldn't see if the fouls called were overly soft or if they were mostly legitimate, but regardless, not exactly a good look to get a coach tech. Can't help but think their issues lie more in the coaching department rather than the players judging by the contrast between their captain and coach's press conference words last week and just their general actions.

Reply #612425 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I dont know the team well,but who was their point guard last night when smart and cole both started on bench. Unusual rotations with import also on bench,bet Conti was happy to be in Fiji

Reply #612426 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Yes the press conference last week.
Hilarious. How funny was Molloy with his man boobs.
I bet he won't wear that shirt again.

Reply #612427 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

@ Melb Fan

The Boomers were so overmatched in the post they needed to be overly physical to stand any chance. Im glad for once the refs didn't 'even things out' because the other team didn't have Suzy Batkovic.

Reply #612480 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

As for coaching issues, they continue to run the Shuffle. The good teams have all run the shuffle so even the dumb players know the scoring actions. Its probably time to show a different look.

Reply #612482 | Report this post

Luuuc  
Years ago

Congrats to the Rangers. Gave the Lynx a lesson in smart team basketball today and move into clear first place after that big win.

Reply #612500 | Report this post

Hendo8888  
Years ago

Lightning play the Boomers on the 7th of January. Might even be a chance of winning that one.

Reply #612501 | Report this post

Luuuc  
Years ago

Haha, yeah both teams will have that one circled on the calendar. My sympathies to whoever loses that one.

Reply #612502 | Report this post

Melb Fan  
Years ago

Very much looking forward to looking at the Lynx/Rangers game whenever it gets uploaded to the 7 app! The Rangers certainly have been playing some great ball recently.

@ Anonymous - Can say that again! Suzy is just a beast, and she doesn't look like slowing down anytime soon (great for the league, but unfortunate for every other team out there!)

Ahh the Lightning/Boomers game could shape up to be a tight one if neither team gets some form up before then.Just as a bit of a side note I'm quite excited to see how Maley goes up in Adelaide, hopefully she can get some good minutes and development into her.

Reply #612513 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Whitcomb radar was off in this one 0/11 from the arc. Just shows again shoot good and win ,miss and take the punishment. So was it good defence on her to allow 11 shots or was she playing well to get open and just missed.
Really dont know how people rate defence ,if she had shot the ball well could have been game winner,but didnt so ranges get credit for good defence. Strange game at times

Reply #612514 | Report this post

Luuuc  
Years ago

Cumming, Novosel and Todhunter are all quality perimeter defenders and they did a great job on Sami. I had a feeling that this was coming today because she has been getting hyped up way too much this past week, and I think it contributed to her trying too hard today to shoulder the scoring load. I also thought the Lynx did a poor job of exploiting the mismatches that Hamblin had in the paint (she still had a good game, but could have been better if the team had helped her out), and the Rangers did a way better job with their defensive scout than we did.

Reply #612516 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Melb fan I think your right re the coaching issues. Watching the negativity from Molloy if that's what he's bringing to his players no wonder they are struggling to win, can't believe he said they are becoming experts at loosing.
Kunek obviously unhappy with the lack of belief from her coach.

And yes they have resigned him for a further 3 yrs.......not looking good for the boomers right now.

Rangers on the other hand keep building, even when they have had a bad game you watch Andersons post match interviews and she's full of belief that her girls can do it.

Two very very different approaches to coaching that's for sure.

Reply #612518 | Report this post

Luuuc  
Years ago

Larissa has impressed me from day 1 in the WNBL. And yeah - the coach-team dynamic could hardly be more different between the 2 Melbourne teams.

Reply #612521 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Boomers look like 10 players meeting for the first time,whilst Ranges are a team and appear to have a respect for each other and genuine team mentality. Everything about Boomers looks fake and fabricated.Would love to be a fly on the wall and hear what they honestly think,or an ex player to let the cat out of the bag.
I cant imagine that the 2 assisstant coaches would get much of an input either as it maybe a dictatorship.

Reply #612523 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Well its also a lot easier on the Rangers to be a team with the team actually filled with good players. If you had to pick a starting group of playings just from the Boomers and the Rangers, Boomers maybe get one starter of five?

Reply #612596 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Very true Rangers have a full depth bench that would probably beat boomers starters , lespecially when the moral for boomers seems so low
You watch those ranger girls in their videos in the background when they think cameras can't see the great chemistry is very obvious compared to boomers who as someone else said it all just looks staged
They do a fantastic job of promoting the club but like reality TV it's never what it seems

Hopefully they can turn things round for next year .
Would their be an out clause in molloys contract?

Reply #612600 | Report this post

Melb Fan  
Years ago

I'm 99% positive that Kunek is the only one who has started each game for the boomers this season. As someone mentioned earlier, I have no clue why Smart and Cole were coming off the bench - especially when if I had to pick a guard to start on the bench it'd be Garrick based purely on the fact her shooting and scoring output doesn't seem to have been the same standard as it was before she injured her shoulder. But that lack of a consistent lineup probably doesn't do much to help chemistry whereas for the rest of the other teams you could comfortably know their starters before they're announced (barring injuries of course).

Has anyone found the Lynx/Rangers game up anywhere yet for those outside WA? I've downloaded the plus7 app and haven't found it yet.

Reply #612611 | Report this post

wayne  
Years ago

Is the Lynx vs Rangers game anywhere on apps/etc yet?

Reply #612689 | Report this post

Luuuc  
Years ago

Yep, it's up on "plus7"

https://au.tv.yahoo.com/plus7/wnbl/-/watch/33496235/wnbl-sun-11-dec-perth-lynx-v-dandenong-rangers/

Reply #612726 | Report this post

Melb Fan  
Years ago

Just finished watching the game up on 7.. Very impressive performance by the Rangers in all aspects of the game. The Lynx looked like they were rushing their shots all day, so great defence by Dandenong. I hope that 7 can keep showing the Lynx games for the rest of the season as their coverage I thought was great.

Reply #612836 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Even the commentators love Burton, one of them brought up the 'controversy' regarding her starting for the Opals, fellow commentators said the following.

"she has that certain knack of getting into the right spot at the right time" -

"she's just a phenomenal team mate, give her a role and she'll fulfill it in any way possible"

I think the entire WNBL could have been starters for the Opals then.

Reply #612845 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Wasn't Joyce commentating was it hahaha

Reply #612855 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Those commentators seem to think everyone is awesome

Reply #612871 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Guy Molloy is paying for recruiting players that play as individuals and also allowing them to play that way. His shuffle is old school and everyone knows that most plays go to a couple of shooters so easy game plan to scout. He is also an extremely poor communicator and doesn't know how to instill confidence in any players.
He now seems really confused trying really odd combinations like on the weekend. The boomers board must be really concerned.

Reply #612990 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

That interview after the Sydney game should be a wake up call to the board, what coach says stuff like that in that manner.

Reply #612995 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 9:14 pm, Sat 20 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754