Isaac
Years ago

Perth Wildcats are last on the NBL ladder

Sydney on top. This is almost a complete reversal of last season where Perth finished behind Melbourne on margin only (I think) and Sydney were last.

Savour the moment, Perth haters.

Hilariously, with just one win, they'd be level with second place before percentages split the pack. Or with one past game going their way, they'd be in outright second.

Topic #40436 | Report this topic

Aussie  
Years ago

Long way to go mate

Reply #612005 | Report this post

Pelican  
Years ago

Can't see Perth climbing back up the ladder, I think this season is a bust for them. Why they felt the need to sign someone like Jaron Johnson to pair with Prather is beside me, They could have done with keeping Beal or going after another combo guard.

Reply #612006 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Fantastic isn't it

Reply #612007 | Report this post

CT  
Years ago

I printed this thread out 500 times, threw the sheets all over the bed and rolled around on it like a lottery winner...

Reply #612011 | Report this post

Mike  
Years ago

Last on the Ladder..... But first in number of championships won, including last year and 2014 when the Sixer's forgot to turn up for game 3.

Reply #612015 | Report this post

Jack Toft  
Years ago

"Perth Wildcats are last on the NBL ladder"

You make it sound like it's a bad thing

Reply #612017 | Report this post

Train  
Years ago

Enjoy it while it lasts ;)
Amazing how one week Cats are 2nd, the next they are last.

Reply #612019 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

They will be even laster after United has their way with them tonight. This one is going to be sweet.

Reply #612026 | Report this post

AngusH  
Years ago

Why hello there new Google Chrome launchpage.

Reply #612030 | Report this post

Train  
Years ago

I'd be pretty worried if I was United. Facing Perth at home after 4 losses in a row....Perth have a point to prove and I'm expecting them to beat United comfortably in a statement.

Reply #612031 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

As a Perth fan and season ticket member I welcome these new found struggles.

Our team has become boring. Yes, winning isn't boring, but our offence and on court product has become stale - from an entertainment perspective. It has been effective on the court, but the inevitable down fall was always going to come.

So it's important for this downfall to be catastrophic.

Finish last with big losses and losing streaks.

Why?

Because when we rebuild, the team will be stacked.

Out with the old. In with the new.

You don't fix what isn't broken, but it is now clear band-aids aren't enough to repair the on this Perth team.

Reply #612032 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Well if you believe Train the struggles will be halted 'comfortably' tonight so expect more bandaids.

Reply #612037 | Report this post

AussiePride  
Years ago

Perth are a different team without Damian Martin. They have looked terrible at times in the last few games but with Martin back in I don't think you see that. You could say that this is a depth issue but Martin is the heart and soul of this team. He is not replaceable!

Reply #612042 | Report this post

Ricky  
Years ago

I'm looking for Bragg to be his eventual successor..

Can see he will bring the same kind of hustle and intensity. More training with Damo everyday will help him along.

Reply #612043 | Report this post

Train  
Years ago

"Well if you believe Train the struggles will be halted 'comfortably' tonight so expect more bandaids. "

We will see soon I guess ;) I have been pretty handy on the tips this season though.

Reply #612045 | Report this post

XY  
Years ago

Train: Within the hour
"I have been pretty handy on the tips this season though."

Train:
A couple of hours ago, 12:19 9 Dec 16, Reply #612020
"My tipping has been ruined in the last 3 weeks."

Which one is it?

Reply #612048 | Report this post

Pelican  
Years ago

Perth should aim to...

- sign Brock Motum (They need a big name Aussie Marquee player to rival Sydney and Melbourne, no doubt they have the money to get him back in Aus. He would command probably around 250,000.)

- Re-sign Prather (not going to come cheap and Prather could look to go to Europe if he doesn't crack an NBA Roster, he'd command big money in Europe.)

- convince Redhage has to retire (let's be fair, he has to call it quits after this season.)

- Go after a D-League Combo guard or, use the "cash flash" to steal Trice from Taipans... (Sorry Snakes fans...)

- Find a physical D-League centre to share minutes with Brandt (Someone like Mike Tobey would be perfect and wouldn't come too expensive)

- Limit Knights minutes (dude is more injury prone than Rose)

- Give young-gun Drew more playing time (lights-out from 3)

Perth 16/17:

Martin/Kenny/Wroe
Trice/Kernich-Drew/Bragg
Prather/Hire
Motum/Knight
Brandt/Tobey

Reply #612049 | Report this post

SB.1  
Years ago

Us Perth fans are in a win-win situation - success = success, failure = no more Gleeson = success!

Reply #612050 | Report this post

Train  
Years ago

XY: Both, I'm sitting on top of the ladder for tips but have had a few average weeks. No need to be a dick about it.

Reply #612052 | Report this post

Ricky  
Years ago

Can we not have Wroe back please, need someone who can score there.

Reply #612053 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Train your incredibly hopeful. United win tonight, Ware will tear them a new asshole. Perth are shot, no idea where they think they will get their points from to go with United. Unlucky, Perth have been due for shitness.

Reply #612055 | Report this post

koberulz  
Years ago

- convince Redhage has to retire (let's be fair, he has to call it quits after this season.)
He won't be playing in the NBL after this season.

Reply #612056 | Report this post

Pelican  
Years ago

forgot Wagstaff to swap between the 3 and 4 spots...

Reply #612058 | Report this post

Train  
Years ago

@2055 : My prediction is just as "out there" as yours is. Yes I am hopeful as any fan would be for their team. Perth has been in a slump, just like the slumps that every team has had this year. Perth are still tough to beat at home regardless.

I'm sure if I'm wrong and the cats get belted tonight, all you haters will be here to point the finger at me and tell me how wrong I was, but meh...bite me ;)

Reply #612059 | Report this post

LV  
Years ago

Train:

"I'd be pretty worried if I was United. Facing Perth at home after 4 losses in a row....Perth have a point to prove and I'm expecting them to beat United comfortably in a statement."

Maybe Perth should be worried, Melbourne are on a 3 game win streak since Ware arrived, and a 6 game winning streak with CG43 in the line up, and they're getting better every game.

Touche. Let the woofing begin. :-)

Reply #612065 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

United will win. They have a sniff and a belief now. Coming into form and the cats are on the way down. Not that hard to beat if the opposition is up to it, which united right now are... so yeah expect some after Perth lose this one. Hope dazz is there to see them lose!

Reply #612067 | Report this post

XY  
Years ago

Train, not being a dick, just want to know to what extent I can rely on your expert predictions! Answer: Not selling the house to put everything on Perth tonight.

Reply #612068 | Report this post

Train  
Years ago

@LV : I'm sorry I can't take any of your [predictions seriously since the "Sydney then Daylight" incident- hehe jk, I'm sure there will be plenty of banter here regardless of who wins :)

XY: They certainly aren't "expert" predictions lol...just a hunch.

Reply #612071 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Either Gleeson & the Wildcats lose tonight, or DD & United lose tonight.
It's the ultimate win-win scenario for most fans around the country :-)

Reply #612072 | Report this post

koberulz  
Years ago

Not really. One of them also has to win.

Reply #612075 | Report this post

LV  
Years ago

This thread is fantastic.

Reply #612083 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Cats won the champ the last time they were on the bottom according to mr Reid

Reply #612088 | Report this post

Bill on the ball  
Years ago

Cat to win by a whisker

Reply #612089 | Report this post

cats 4 life  
Years ago

Anyone think if they loose tonight, there will be any roster or coaching change? I understand it's close, why they haven't replaced damo is beyond me.

Say he doesn't come back at all? You can't replace damo, I'm pissed off that, what if damo was there?

Personally, I would be working my way around for next season having damo of the bench as knight, to injury prone and hard to build around.

Being last might take Marvin head out of his arse.

Reply #612100 | Report this post

Dazz  
Years ago

Be interesting to know when was the last time this happened (apart from maybe a game 1 loss)

Hilariously, with just one win, they'd be level with second place before percentages split the pack. Or with one past game going their way, they'd be in outright second
Just shows how close the league is, which is a good thing.

Very hard to figure out what is going on with the Cats this season. Coming off a 'ship, and with records pre-season, I'd have thought they were well positioned, but instead they're acting like they are short of money.
I think they'll improve, McKay & JJ look better each game, but the rest of the league has also improved, in come cases dramatically.

Reply #612104 | Report this post

Ricky  
Years ago

A first half to forget.

Head scratching Import Selections, Sackings, Requests to Leave, Re-activations, Injuries, Corban Wroe.

Still not all lost given the way the ladder is atm.

Gonna be interesting tonight. Can't wait.

Reply #612110 | Report this post

Luuuc  
Years ago

I can't figure it out either.
It's almost as if the comp is very close, so losing a key player or players can make a significant difference in a team's fortunes, but who the hell knows ...

Reply #612111 | Report this post

AngusH  
Years ago

Alas, for 2 hours at least, Perth are now 7th. It was fun while it lasted.

Reply #612134 | Report this post

Train  
Years ago

*cough cough* suck my balls !!! * cough cough * banter banter banter ;)

Reply #612199 | Report this post

Luuuc  
Years ago

Onya, Train. You had more faith than I did.
Great to see that there's still plenty of ticker in this team despite the setbacks and patchy form.

Reply #612206 | Report this post

Train  
Years ago

It's amazing how fast ppl write off Perth after a few bad games mate. Ppl forget how good they are at home and how good a team they are . I'm suprised how many ppl jump on the bandwagon this year despite seeing how many other teams have been in big slumps and recovered. Never lose faith in your team :)

Reply #612208 | Report this post

LV  
Years ago

Martin will probably return next week, Perth will win the next 5 games by a point and they will be two games clear on top

Reply #612213 | Report this post

Dazz  
Years ago

Well that didn't last long, but we have a huge road stretch coming up: NZ, 6's, Hawks, then the Sydney/Brissy double. Yikes

Reply #612214 | Report this post

Train  
Years ago

Wishful thinking but Martin be back till end of Jan. This next 5 weeks of away games will be season defining .

Reply #612216 | Report this post

Luuuc  
Years ago

Yeah, an MCL tear ain't the type of injury you can rush back from and only have some pain to deal with. It'll take as long as it takes.

Huge stretch ahead.
Starting with NZ. Not the worst opponent we could cop.

Reply #612220 | Report this post

Dazz  
Years ago

Yeah, but we struggle in Auckland.
I'd rate us a "chance" against Hawks and 6's. NZ will be tough.

Reply #612231 | Report this post

Train  
Years ago

Perth went from last to 4th (equal second if you go by win/loss record) with one game. That is just bat sh*t crazy.

Reply #612260 | Report this post

Dazz  
Years ago

Wishful thinking but Martin be back till end of Jan. This next 5 weeks of away games will be season defining .
Damo back will make a big difference, but I don't know if it will be enough, especially if we slip too far whilst he's out.
It's unfortunate that the Cats have been unable to find a decent replacement.

Reply #612288 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Bryce Cotton.

Reply #843840 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 9:20 am, Fri 29 Mar 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754