Jack Toft
Years ago

Sixers v Breakers Dec 10

Creeky is back! Who's excited?

What a great game this will be. Sixers with form going into this game have momentum. Breakers had a great game on Thursday to stop their losing streak.

Adelaide are 2 and 3 at home, NZ are 2 and 5 on the road. It's another early one, but don't tell the Breakers who may be a little jet lagged and confused with our time zones.

Penney and Randle are the danger men for very different reasons. Penney outside the arc drops bombs like the US on ISIS assassins and Randle breaks ankles like twigs. Inside the key there's a few good matchups too. Pledger, Mitchell, Vukuno (yes sounds like boy band lineup) but Johnson, Jacobson, Hodgson are just as tough so we should see plenty of argy bargy in the rebounding contests.

I can't see Creeky being risked with too many minutes tonight, but I can see the Breakers out of the blocks early. I think they'll be trying to get a half century by half time. Expect a tight contest, but Sixers will over-run the Breakers in the second half and bag this one.

Sixers by 6

Topic #40447 | Report this topic

Zodiac  
Years ago

I can see the Breakers getting this one haven't been impressed with our play at home this season at all and we show much more fight on the road.

Breakers by 7

Reply #612310 | Report this post

Luuuc  
Years ago

Jack's old avatar was better.
Not even going to offer a tip for this one. Anything could happen when these two up-and-down teams meet.

Reply #612311 | Report this post

Bear  
Years ago

Can see Creek just being there as an inspiration to his team, Sixers to get up by 5...

Reply #612313 | Report this post

Zodiac  
Years ago

Already down 10

Reply #612319 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Has the sixers bad D returned?

Reply #612330 | Report this post

Zodiac  
Years ago

Nice dunk by Sobey looked like he wasn't going to get there not sure about the NBA call though Huddo

Reply #612331 | Report this post

Zodiac  
Years ago

Looked like a flop by Teys

Reply #612335 | Report this post

Zodiac  
Years ago

Good turn around, up 2 at the half.

Reply #612338 | Report this post

Joshuapending  
Years ago

Just never try and take a charge in the nbl anymore.

Reply #612339 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Shae ili is atrocious

Reply #612356 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Stockton is awful

Reply #612358 | Report this post

Luuuc  
Years ago

Was that even an over-and-back violation though?

Reply #612359 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

These commentators and refs doing my fricken head in.

So obvious that a Sixers win was wanted by the powers that be.

Reply #612360 | Report this post

Mike  
Years ago

Randle, Ware and Prather at the 1 2 and 3 on the All NBL First Team by the end of the season?

Reply #612361 | Report this post

Luuuc  
Years ago

Certainly has been a round for some big individual scoring.

(and yeah, reffing not doing NZ too many favours in the 2nd half)

Reply #612364 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

It's becoming quite a trend refs vs. Breakers.

I amount of calls going against NZ on drives involving non-existent contact....it ruins the game.

Randal had to do as little as touch the ball and walk into the paint area and would be gifted FT's late in the forth (not taking anything away from his performance - he was fantastic tonight).

Reply #612371 | Report this post

Zodiac  
Years ago

To be fair the Breakers have always played a physical brand of basketball and Vukona has always struggled to stay out of foul trouble especially the last few years.

Reply #612373 | Report this post

Uncle Phil  
Years ago

Anon 371, thats a pretty rubbish comment, yes it was a bad refereeing perfomance with numorous poor calls going both ways but to say Randle was getting non-existant contact in the paint was rubbish. Pretty much every call he got, a breakers player either was out of their position with his body and made contact or had their hands/arms on him while out of position impeding his progress (ambercrombies late foul on randle when he was driving to the basket was a perfect example of this). If those fouls aren't called it rewards bad defense and would make NBL games very ugly.

Reply #612374 | Report this post

HoldenV8  
Years ago

I think we can safely say, whether anyone actually wants to admit it or not, that the home team in the NBL will almost always get favourable calls from the refs.

Like I said, almost always.

I'm not saying that the refs blatantly favour the home team, unless its Perth, they always get the 'right' calls..... or that it happened tonight (Breakers fans might disagree), but occasionally it does happen.

Tonight though I think the better team won, and not just because I'm a 36ers fan. On the night we were better.

Reply #612379 | Report this post

joshuapending  
Years ago

I would also say the refs missed so many 3 sec in the key its not funny. For the last couple of weeks people have been camped in the key and it never gets called.

Reply #612387 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Randle's 2P FG% again. Wow.

Said it last season too. Refs can't win on foul counts. If they don't call enough, the thuggery takes over. If they call too much, they're exerting too much influence. There is no other way for them to tweak the league to favour offence and boost entertainment value.

Reply #612389 | Report this post

koberulz  
Years ago

The way is to be consistent and up-front about it.

There was quite a bit of whinging in 2013 after the Blitz, but the league was quite public about what it was doing and why, and players adjusted.

Now, it's gone backwards, and wanders randomly between the two strategies depending on where the game is, who's officiating, what the score is, and which way the wind is blowing.

There was a sense of direction in 2013/14. That's been lost, so now there's just a whole lot of complaining.

It doesn't help when you tech people for flopping on a play that's identical to one which resulted in an unsportsmanlike foul earlier in the same game.

Reply #612398 | Report this post

The Rooster  
Years ago

Funny thing - there were no home refs tonight, it was a fly in crew.
Some "interesting" calls.....

Reply #612401 | Report this post

Rat10  
Years ago

Not sure why there's such a focus on the refs when there was so many other things to talk about in this game. Randle just ridiculous with 37 on 15-19 shooting!! It's almost getting too easy for him with stats like that.

That was a very entertaining game with lots of highlights. Sobey throwing down a beautiful fast break dunk and DJ also surprisingly throwing it down with some force on another fast break. Drmic with a great cameo off the bench playing some awesome D, and hitting a big three.

With Creek back the Sixers are very deep. Looking back Creek's injury was a blessing in disguise for the Sixers with Sobey's impressive development and now a lock for most improved. Not an easy job for Joey sharing minutes around.

Reply #612406 | Report this post

Mystro  
Years ago

NZ were terrible and didn't deserve to win

Reply #612409 | Report this post

shano76  
Years ago

Some credit to 6ers to no doubt Mystro.

Reply #612417 | Report this post

Hoopie  
Years ago

Don't blame the refs if the players don't want to stay within the rules. Maybe we're seeing a lot more desperation from players because the league is so close. Personally, the over-physical stuff shits me as a fan, but inconsistent refine and all these empty warnings instead of just calling the thing shit me more.

Reply #612422 | Report this post

KET  
Years ago

When the 36ers lose it's Joeys fault, when they win uts because the refs are handing them the win if the Hoops cohort are to be believed!

36ers are second on the ladder, unbelievable. Four wins in a row, including two at home.

I am astonished at how close this season is. Much of this is due to Melbourne/DD/Goulding
underperforming, Sydney dropping a few and Perth and NZ with the championship resume diminishing, no longer h&s above the rest.

Reply #612428 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Before the season, I thought Adelaide might be lucky to win 3-5 games, and they could still come undone, but not yet at least. Sobey has been great and if Drmic can improve further, they have a reasonable set of fast/athletic options in Randle, Creek, Sobey and Johnson.

There was one play last night where the 36ers were on the break and Randle had Sobey and Creek trailing. Not sure he could have better options in that situation; Sobey ended up with the dunk.

Reply #612431 | Report this post

Uncle Phil  
Years ago

Sobey's athleticism continues to impress me. That trailing dunk on the break was very tasty - it looked like he was still rising when he dunked it and could have got a fair bit higher if he needed to. I only think it's a matter of time before he gives someone a serious facial.

Reply #612435 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

What is Sobey worth to NBL teams now? Mitch said at the end of the game that Sobey is arguably in the top 10 players. Which Aussie guards are better?

Reply #612439 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Goulding can't be underperforming when out injured.

Reply #612442 | Report this post

KET  
Years ago

Goulding can be underperforming when he's playing though, and he has played matches this season and he has underperformed in matches this season

Reply #612443 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Yeah, like he did today

Reply #612484 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

One game, good job Goulding. The reality is, his season will be very up and down, because he is a streaky player. Lacks the athleticism I remember him having and takes a bunch of lame ass shots at times.

Other than that....

Reply #612498 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Yeah that swish from 2m behind the arc was terrible. Lacks athleticism, oh dear. Maybe if you got out of your chair and achieved something might be better.

Reply #612511 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

So Goulding is an international level athlete? Nope, unfortunately for him, his game doesn't translate well on the international stage. Good NBL player, on a team that will let him shoot whenever he wants.

Reply #612532 | Report this post

Zodiac  
Years ago

His game translates well enough to have had a 20 point game at a World Cup.

Reply #612541 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Did you watch the game? Junk time, was fruitful

Reply #612568 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 4:39 pm, Wed 24 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754