Jack Toft
Years ago

Cairns v Adelaide Dec 12

This game bookends Round 10. Cairns are coming off an 8 point home loss to the Klingons and Adelaide coming off a 10 point home win against the Breakers.

The ladder is extremely tight. A Cairns loss sees them drop to bottom and a Sixers loss would see them tumble to about 5th, Cairns to 4th, Cats to 3rd, Hawks to 2nd. It's just like a big game of musical chairs.

There's plenty of reasons for either team to get this one tonight. Wortho seems to step up against the Sixers and I'm sure T Ferg will be once bitten twice shy.

With Creeky back and with the Sixers playing well, I think they would have to go in as favourites. My score predictor say 87:86 to Cairns, but everyone knows I go for the Sixers. Sixers 90 to 86 over Cairns.

Topic #40460 | Report this topic

Anonymous  
Years ago

The Sixers hit the road after a solid win over the Breakers at home. The bookies have Cairns as favourites, which is interesting being that the Sixers seem to be an in-form team, and have just added Creek back into the line-up.

Randle owned Trice last game that they played and I expect him to do the same tonight as Trice doesn't have the motor that Randle does. Sobey returns to his old home, so he will look to get cracking early too, continuing his great form. Creek will feel a little sore, but will be ready to go.

Sixers by 12

Reply #612616 | Report this post

LV  
Years ago

Cairns are 26-7 at home over the past 2.5 seasons, so I'll tip Cairns.

But it's an unusually intriguing contest because of how Adelaide destroyed them last time. Cairns haven't had many bad losses like that.

Reply #612618 | Report this post

LV  
Years ago

I remember hearing reports that Cairns just shot really poorly, and it wasnt anything specifically that Adelaide were doing, just that Cairns had an off night.

So in theory then, if those reports are true, maybe there's not necessarily anything structural where Adelaide has the wood over them. Guess we will find out tonight.

Reply #612619 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Adelaide may very well win as they have found some form. But no in no way whatsover does adelaide have the edge over them. Adelaide gave up so many open 3 point attempts cairns easily could've won by 20z

Reply #612620 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Adelaide have made many defensive adjustments since that game and that has seen them dismantle some great teams. I have noted that all of the people that said Joey was a horrible coach have gone back into their box until they lose again.

Reply #612622 | Report this post

Zodiac  
Years ago

Pretty sure the 36ers have a good record up in Cairns so I'm expecting us to get the win tonight.

36ers by 3

Reply #612623 | Report this post

Kingpodge  
Years ago

been a while since we lost 2 in a row at home... But with the short turn around and the niggling injuries that some of the key players are dealing with.. who knows...

I do, Taipans by 20.

Reply #612624 | Report this post

Manu Fieldel  
Years ago

Yeah gotta say us tonight.

Although Adelaide has been the best team in Cairns (relative to their ladder position at least) in recent years. We don't seem to enjoy the up-and-down game, and Adelaide is the only team that is able to consistently run against us.

Reply #612626 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Randleaide for the W.

Reply #612630 | Report this post

KET  
Years ago

It's a semi-must win game for the 36ers. They have Kings home & away and Perth at home following that. Adelaide could potentially go from 3-6 to 7-6 to 7-10.

Reply #612647 | Report this post

Dave  
Years ago

Agree, pretty important game for any post season hopes. Will be a good one to see where we are at.

Reply #612652 | Report this post

Brunson  
Years ago

Having no Creek for tonight due to soreness is a big loss.

Reply #612655 | Report this post

ROFLcopter  
Years ago

I'll roar laughing if Teys starts.

Reply #612657 | Report this post

pamies  
Years ago

so what is the bet ( im french )

Reply #612658 | Report this post

ROFLcopter  
Years ago

Haha.

Gotta love Sobey in the air.

Reply #612660 | Report this post

ROFLcopter  
Years ago

Lol.
Drmic is garbage

Reply #612661 | Report this post

ROFLcopter  
Years ago

Randle goes off and the Sixers stink it up.
One man band.

Reply #612664 | Report this post

twenty four  
Years ago

Deng is a terrible defender.

Reply #612665 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

People keep telling me how good Drmic is. I'll keep looking I guess.

Reply #612666 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Randle has done some good things so far, but FFS right now he's stanking it up. 4 Shots that he should never have taken. All missed. The 1 asst for the 3.

Reply #612667 | Report this post

ROFLcopter  
Years ago

PMSL @ Teys and that offensive set

Reply #612668 | Report this post

Zodiac  
Years ago

Teys FFS

Reply #612669 | Report this post

ROFLcopter  
Years ago

Hahahahahaha...Teys. What a spud.

Reply #612670 | Report this post

whitewind  
Years ago

Cam Tragardh is the best commentator this country has.

Reply #612671 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Lay off Teys ffs...

The guy is not a star we all know but he is there to fulfil a role, one he does well overall.

Reply #612672 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Teys is better than most teams 10th/11th men! Idiots, he's a solid NBL player.

Reply #612675 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

But he is starting.

Reply #612676 | Report this post

HoldenV8  
Years ago

32-14 third period. Not bad for Adelaide but there are foul troubles. Ferguson has 4, Hodgson and Jacobson have 3 each.

DJ has 22 on 9/11 with 4/5 from outside. Also has 8 rebounds.

Reply #612680 | Report this post

HoldenV8  
Years ago

Correction, DJ has 25 points so far.

Reply #612681 | Report this post

LV  
Years ago

WTH is Fearne doing subbing 5 on 5 off!?

Cairns playing a shocker. Not sure if it's coincidental that this is their second shocker vs Ade....

Reply #612682 | Report this post

ROFLcopter  
Years ago

DJ just beasting it.

Reply #612683 | Report this post

Luuuc  
Years ago

Adelaide are now the team to beat
:p

Reply #612684 | Report this post

Zodiac  
Years ago

Clinic

Reply #612687 | Report this post

ROFLcopter  
Years ago

Fearne left Jawai on about 15 minutes too long!!
He was out on his feet.

Reply #612688 | Report this post

Uncle Phil  
Years ago

DJ seems to play his best ball on the road, would be interesting to see what his home vs away numbers are.

Reply #612690 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Game over hahaha, I called a 12 point win

Reply #612691 | Report this post

ROFLcopter  
Years ago

If DJ played tough, hungry, grown man ball consistently...he'd be in the NBA.

Reply #612694 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I believe that Cairns haven't lost 2 in a row for a very long time. Fearne chokes up an0ther one.

Reply #612695 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

where are the mouth runners now who said the Sixers would finish last and "wouldn't be able to keep up with the other teams talent" now they pretty much have proven they are a contender along with Sydney and Illawarra.

Sucked in Sixers haters :D

Reply #612696 | Report this post

LV  
Years ago

After Fearne ran 5 on/off, things went from bad to worse.

Adelaide will be team to beat if they can beat Sydney with top spot on the line

Reply #612697 | Report this post

LV  
Years ago

I did pick 36ers for last in the pre season, but they are very well coachedw, Sobey has taken a maaaasive step forward and Randle has been as good as last year. Those are all significant factors in their success

Reply #612699 | Report this post

Pelican  
Years ago

36ers are a force to be reckoned with - you had people saying they were a one man team, now they're ballin' big time even when Creek isn't playing. They have the most depth in the league which pays bigtime.

Reply #612700 | Report this post

ROFLcopter  
Years ago

^^^^ most depth in the league?

Get your hand off it. Deserves a whole separate thread of laughter that statement.

Reply #612702 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Joey haters??? Where you at?

Reply #612703 | Report this post

Pelican  
Years ago

ROFLcopter - can you prove otherwise? Who do you think has more? I hear you're the one who runs their mouth on here and pretty much the biggest troll so it's hard to respect your opinion...

Reply #612704 | Report this post

HoldenV8  
Years ago

"If DJ played tough, hungry, grown man ball consistently...he'd be in the NBA."

That is the only thing holding him back from being just about THE dominant big man in the NBL. He really does need to toughen up on defence. If he could do that, he might not be in the NBA but he would definitely be a regular Boomers player.

Reply #612705 | Report this post

Pelican  
Years ago

DJ is very lazy at times, which is a joke for what the 36ers are likely paying him he should be playing like this every night...

Reply #612706 | Report this post

ROFLcopter  
Years ago

"ROFLcopter - can you prove otherwise? Who do you think has more? I hear you're the one who runs their mouth on here and pretty much the biggest troll so it's hard to respect your opinion..."

No proof required. My opinion is what I posted.
36ers have a few stars and the rest are filler. If Sobey, DJ and Randle play well, they win.

As for hearing i run my mouth. Lol. I'm no troll. Just call it as I see it dude. Your respect isn't important to me.

Reply #612710 | Report this post

Brutal Game  
Years ago

ROFLcopter is a flog.

Reply #612716 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

The 36ers are not an especially deep team. Hawks have far more for one. Their bench one game recently was Clarke, Harris, Martin, Holyfield, Kay, Ellis.

Sobey must've loved having that game up there. 36ers have some tough tests coming up but they've smashed these recent games. Impressive. Hopefully DJ carries on with that form.

Reply #612717 | Report this post

Kingpodge  
Years ago

gotta agree that the 36ers aren't that deep, but with Randle, DJ and Sobey they don't need to be. The rest of the guys just need to play their role.

Amazing to think they towelled us up without Creek either......

We were way to sloppy on D. Caught with our pants down more than Malcolm Fraser. 36ers would have scored 20 at least from simple breakdowns......

If anyone needs me i'll be drinking heavily for the next 24-48 hours.

Reply #612720 | Report this post

Jack Toft  
Years ago

I don't think you need to be particularly deep in basketball to be a great team.

Reply #612721 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Missing persons alert: has anyone seen Cam Gliddon?

Reply #612722 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Sixers in the finals? Early exit I would have thought.

Reply #612728 | Report this post

KET  
Years ago

Big win for the 36ers given the tough games ahead.

The 'sack joey' and 'joey can't coach teams that aren't star studded' brigades have quietened down of late...

The big thing of note lately, is the 36ers have a few guys to count on. Sobey's improvement has been of massive value to us, it's another guy we can count on night in night out. Randle's first half of drive and dish was absolutely sublime. DJ had one of his periodic domination games where we ask the same question "why doesn't he take the three point shot more often?". He looks lazy and hesitant at times, but when he gets super active he can be just so damaging.

There were vulnerable periods there where the 36ers made those youth mistakes - overly ambitious passes and very questionable defence turning into fouls or allowing wide a player to slip behind (especially Ferguson, Hodgson & Jacobsen). A few open threes for guys like Loughton kept Cairns in it - I still don't like how we make ourselves so blatantly vulnerable from there. However, our defence including the perimeter has improved noticably the last few weeks and it has shown with the 36ers reducing opponents scoring against them by 10 points per game.

Reply #612732 | Report this post

skull  
Years ago

Taipans couldn't handle Sobeys foot speed and help D was weak/slow/late.

Fearne seems to be really pissed off at anyone at anytime....I mean REALLY pissed off!!

Its ok to be really pissed off, but at a professional level when you sub the whole team off to make a point and then...no point made,seems a useless exercise and other methods are needed before you lose the whole teams ability to listen/execute.

Reply #612733 | Report this post

Kingpodge  
Years ago

Starting 5 was -27 at that point Skull. I think benching them was the least he could have done. After all the rotations they missed on D i don't blame him for looking really pissed off.

I would have told them to go shower......

Reply #612737 | Report this post

CT  
Years ago

Trice and Glinton really need to start bringing it or we're going to get hammered every night wortho/loughton aren't shooting the desperation 3 well enough to keep us in games like this. And FFS give Damon heuir a bit more court time, weeks is never going to be the back up point guard fearne's trying to turn him into, may as well spread it around a bit.

Reply #612738 | Report this post

Kingpodge  
Years ago

Weeks finished with a +17 +/-

+/- doesn't tell the whole story... but if you compare it to Trice's -27..... it kind of does. Weeks only played 3 minutes less.

Reply #612739 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

The sack Joey fans should on principle write nothing on this forum for the rest of the season due to them having no idea. He brings results, so in future please shut up.

Reply #612740 | Report this post

LV  
Years ago

Depth is only important if you have injuries.

Neither Gaze's Tigers nor Anstey's Tigers were deep, but they each won 2 Championships from 4 Grand Finals.

Neither have Most of Lebrons teams been particularly deep and he's been to the NBA Finals 7 times, including the last 6 in a row.

Randle, DJ and Sobey keep bringing it, and Adelaide's lack of depth isn't an issue.

Reply #612741 | Report this post

Brunson  
Years ago

Great win tonight but we shouldn't get too ahead of ourselves as there is a possibility we could be 8-10 after the next 4 games. We would then be bottom 2-3. Hopefully the boys will continue to play the way they have been and get 2-3 wins from the next 4 games.

Excellent plan by Joey to rest Creek tonight and get him ready for Sydney.

Something I have been happy about from the last several wins is that we seemed to have given up on playing that stupid trap! Usually other teams get easy scores or we end up with mismatch problems and they end up scoring.

Excellent games by Sobey, Randle and Johnson. The rest of the team did their roles. Special mention for Jacobsen for his effort out there including slowing down Jawai.

Reply #612742 | Report this post

LV  
Years ago

(Correction- Ansteys Tigers got deeper as Seamus' pockets grew, culminating in a deep team in 09. But in 06, Anstey's first season back, they weren't deep at all).

Reply #612743 | Report this post

CT  
Years ago

Kingpodge: 29% FG% this season, the lowest on the team. He's indecisive in his shot selection and his confidence looks shot.

I was really happy when he got picked up earlier this year but the stuff he did really well at the hawks: lightning fast points in transition + highlight reel dunks, doesn't translate to a tightly controlled Fearney team. If he was let off the leash a bit more and utilised differently he could be bringing to the taipans some of the energy that sobey brings to the 36ers. Something that was sorely missing tonight.

Reply #612747 | Report this post

Kingpodge  
Years ago

I was just talking about tonight CT, he did pretty well. I agree that he's not that effective in a structure (not with his shooting %'s anyways), but he does seem to have a license to explore. Needs to work on when to iso and when to play the offence, had similar moments at the Hawks last night.

His hustle and defence has been top notch.

Reply #612749 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

CT, that was the reason that Sobey left Cairns. Fearne apparently wanted him to be a spot up shooter/defender only.

I'm not sure many young players would line up to play in Cairns as they restrict them. Bruce, Sobey and Maynard all felt controlled to a level that didn't help them develop. Look at Torrey Craig and Jamar Wilson, both look way better out of there.

Mitch McCarron needs to make his way out too, as he would be having a Sobey like season elsewhere. That kid is a star in this league that is being watered down there.

There are also guys like Tevin Jackson, who played very well in the blitz, not even being suited up for home games! This kid can ball too! But instead, the old guys continue and the young guys aren't getting developed.

Reply #612751 | Report this post

Manu Fieldel  
Years ago

I must say, it's a bad combination having a team that can't spend to the cap and can't develop talent

Reply #612752 | Report this post

sixtiesrockstar  
Years ago

Adelaide just looked too fast for Cairns. As soon as the sixers saw open floor they just went for the hole making Cairns scramble, giving DJ time and space. Jaw looked like a liability when forced to D and then rush offence. Hats off to Jacobsen. His hustle has been excellent, loves getting into a scrap. He layed the foundation with the hustle and rebounding against the Breakers last game, but ran into foul trouble and had to sit.

Reply #612764 | Report this post

Twinkletoes  
Years ago

That 2nd half is the worst half of basketball the Taipans have played at home for a long time. I wonder how hard they were worked in their training and video session on Sunday as they seemed to be totally flat in the second half and also started the game sluggishly ?

This performance reminded me of when we lost a number of home games 3 seasons ago with a big factor being that the players were being worked too hard by Fearne in the lead up to the games (something he admitted to before the next season commenced). It led to the Taipans adopting a new training regime including not training the day before a game. That started when Wilbekin was here but I don't know if it is still adhered to now.

Although I agree with the comments supporting Fearne's subbing off of the whole team in the 3rd quarter I agree with @skull that "Fearne seems to be really pissed off at anyone at anytime....I mean REALLY pissed off!!" and I agree with @skull that Fearne needs to be careful before he loses the teams ability (willingness) to listenexecute.

Fearne made the point that he felt the starting five “were fractured, don't play hard together, concentrate” and he also said “I expect us to play a lot harder than that.” Perhaps he needs to ask himself why they weren't ?

I agree with @CT's comment that Trice and Gliddon need to start bringing it for us to be competitive. At least one of them needs to have a very good game on a particular night. If both go missing like they did last night, there's a problem. Trice had a reasonable game against Sydney but didn't make much headway when the screws went on and I am puzzled by his performance last night. @Kingpodge previously mentioned a couple of key players are carrying niggling injuries and I wonder if Trice is one of them (Edwin is one I think)?

It doesn't get any easier for the Taipans as they play an in form Illiwarra on Saturday afternoon and a loss to them will make things very difficult in the 2nd half of the season.

Reply #612770 | Report this post

KET  
Years ago

Jawai managed to rim stuff twice, they were momentum moments too

Reply #612771 | Report this post

Manu Fieldel  
Years ago

Looking at the two most recent captains -- Gliddon and Loughton -- it's not hard to see why they've had an inconsistent mentality from game to game. Wilbekin took the lead in his season, but apart from that we haven't had strong presences. Glizzo and Loughzy may be good blokes and respected, but their on-court production fluctuates far too much and that has to rub off on the entire roster.

Reply #612772 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

Cairns just tried to play too quick last night. In the second quarter when they controlled tempo and moved the ball, and made Adelaide play half-court offence, the game went their way.

Trice had no read on the game at all last night, or in the last 15 minutes against Sydney. He needs to start playing like a pro PG and picking his moments better.

Reply #612774 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

Just looked at the boxscore, Trice -27, Weeks +17.

As for working them too hard, Fearne effectively admitted he was pounding them in the press conference last week. He needs to get his side of things back on track pretty quickly.

Reply #612775 | Report this post

skull  
Years ago

In junior basketball i've seen the "sub the whole team off" thing work, but at pro level it looks like a coach trying to gain control back after for some reason losing control?

The pattern we have seen recently is not a good sign.ie slow start, recovery and in front by half time, second half meltdown...
I remember a few seasons ago a similar pattern developed mid year, we recovered that year....but it was too late.

The downward spiral is a mental thing from both coach and players, believing and tweeking from both sides is required...and quickly.

Reply #612776 | Report this post

Kingpodge  
Years ago

Anon #612751 i know we're all salty son... but:
Bruce, Sobey and Maynard didn't leave because they 'felt controlled'. Maynard wanted to play more and he was 2 players deep on the bench (behind Bruce and import PG), Sobey left because he wanted more time because he was 2 players deep on the bench (behind Gliddon and import 2), Bruce left because they offered him more cash than the Taipans did. Sobey didn't develop overnight, and he's moulded his game around the 36ers style.
The problem is having the $$ to retain players when they've developed.

Note: 'too controlled' the most controlled offence in the league, with the slowest pace is the Kings.. who coincidentally play with the same structure as the Taipans.

Also note that Fearne's style has gotten us to the finals more times than Joey's style has in Adelaide.

It's Maccaron's first professional season, he wouldn't be starting in any squad. And the only way he'd start for the Taipans is if they benched Gliddon.

Jamar's avg's went down after he left Cairns, Craig has gone from strength to strength, but there are a heap of players that didn't kick on. Chewy, Ron, Hill and Dillon all went downhill after they left... and then you have guys like Burston and Trigger who had second comings of their careers in Cairns (for 1 or 2 years at least).

Lots of players who play great in the Blitz don't get court time in the main season.... that's because it's the preseason........

Last night was shit, we looked horrible in the 2nd half, but 4 days ago we were 1 game from 1st place. That's a lot of work to be done to fix things, but let's keep it in perspective. There's been so many swings and roundabouts for every team this year....

Reply #612778 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

Wilson's numbers went up after he left Cairns and it's McCarron's second professional season. He started in his first one in a lower level comp. Apart from that a pretty good post.

There's nothing wrong with asking players to play within structure, it's how basketball is played all around the world and has been shown to work in Cairns when they get it right, despite spending considerably lower than many other teams.

Reply #612787 | Report this post

Kingpodge  
Years ago

Sorry Paul, I was only thinking of Dubs' stats before he got benched - those stats don't count haha :)

Reply #612790 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Kingpodge Aaron Fearne has not Coached the Taipans to more finals series than Joey wright has at Adelaide.

Joey wright has coached the 36ers to 2 finals series in 3 seasons which includes a GF appearance.

Aaron Fearne has coached the Taipans to 2 finals series in 7 seasons which includes 2 GF appearances.

Reply #612792 | Report this post

KET  
Years ago

#612792, sounds like a 'sack Fearne' thread is in order then...

Reply #612793 | Report this post

Freethrows  
Years ago

Fearne really needed to give Heuir more minutes last night. It was pretty obvious that the towelling given to Trice meant he wasn't able to get into any flow, and Heuir is a guy who is ballsy enough to not care who's defending him, he'll have a crack. He's better at driving to the rim than Trice, and I think he's probably a more consistent 3pt shooter (no, I haven't checked the stats.)

Mostly, though, I wonder why Fearne didn't try Edwin defending Randle. What worked so well in Brisbane's thrashing of Adelaide was Craig's defence on Randle. I understand that Randle had a great game in the return leg of that weekend's double-header, but it may have been a good thing to try. Like it or not, Adelaide fans, the 6ers still need Randle to be playing well to win. If he's not able to contribute, then it makes it harder for guys like DJ to score (it's pretty well noted that he's not a 1st option guy.) That being the case, trying something else to hold Randle back might have made a difference last night.

Just quickly, on Tevin Jackson: he's a guy with tremendous talent, and an NBL ready physique. I think he'll probably do very well somewhere (and I hope it's Cairns, who have forward spots coming up next season.) He really needs to work on his shooting technique for jump shots and free throws, though. Currently, his form is aweful. He should have a look at the strokes of people like Heuir or Ferguson from the field, and Randle or Worthington from the line, just to name a few examples from last night's game.

Reply #612796 | Report this post

Master Chief  
Years ago

I think the performance against Brisbane at home has woken this team up into adjusting in a few key areas. The Defence especially has been better.

I just love what Jacobsen brings. I don't care about what the stat sheet reads, he gives us something that's been missing for a long time.

Anonymous, I hate the term 'haters'. What does it mean? It's a lazy dud word which just means that i don't agree with what you think so i'll classify you as someone who hates. People should stop saying it so much everywhere.

Reply #612802 | Report this post

Kingpodge  
Years ago

Anon: Wright - 1 GF with Radelaide, Fearne 2 GF with Taipans = more GF appearances.

Sorry if i stuttered....

Reply #612803 | Report this post

Zodiac  
Years ago

It's Maccaron's first professional season

No it isn't he was playing in Spain last season and before that was the NCAA Div 2 college player of the year.

He's got a bright future ahead of him but like a number of others he'll only achieve that once he gets out of Fearne's system.

Reply #612806 | Report this post

Kingpodge  
Years ago

1st pro season in Australia Zodiac..... I'm well aware of his history...

Reply #612809 | Report this post

Manu Fieldel  
Years ago

Podge,

What's your take on Gliddon's inconsistent play from game to game? Just symptomatic of the defensive attention he's received or does he take himself out of games?

Are there any areas the team can improve on?

Reply #612811 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Kingpodge Fearne has coached the Taipans for 4 more seasons than Joey Wright has Coached the 36ers. The only way to compare the coaches is to judge them over the last 3 seasons in which Joey wright has had a better winning ratio.

36ers
2013/14 21-13 runners-up
2014/15 17-13 Semi Finals (3rd)
2015/16. 14-14 5th place
52-40

Taipans
2013/14 12-16 5th Place
2014/15 23-9 Runners-up
2015/16 12-16 6th place
47-41

Reply #612814 | Report this post

Manu Fieldel  
Years ago

Also, Fearney said starting spots are now up for grabs

Reply #612815 | Report this post

Twinkletoes  
Years ago

I wouldn't mind seeing Egwu start with Jawai coming from the bench.

Reply #612817 | Report this post

Kingpodge  
Years ago

Manu, no idea... Could be a bit of A leading to B. Could be that he's trying to be too unselfish, and/or he's second guessing his decision making. Either way he's having an ordinary confidence patch and hasn't looked switched on at the other end either. Maybe it's time to take a leaf out of Bevo's book this season, and bring Cam off the bench like Rot. Help him work that confidence back. Start Mitch at 2 and see how they go.

Twinkle, in theory Eggs in the starting lineup for Jawai works for me, but Jawai does open up a lot of options when they double him in the post. We're very perimeter orientated when he's on.
Or start Wortho/Eggs at 5 and Weigh at 4.... Weigh's post work has been good the last 2 games - I was surprised they didn't go to him on the block more against Sydney.

Maybe they're all just a bit fatigued and need a week off..... after last night i know i do...

Reply #612820 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

Rewind just a few days and they'd won six of nine and led the Kings by 15 in the third. They botched that and had a bad night against Adelaide (both by going away from the system that works) but it's not time to panic, they're only one game out of fourth and 2.5 games off first!

Reply #612822 | Report this post

Kingpodge  
Years ago

haha wise words Paul.

I guess the trick is to act without overreacting.

Reply #612823 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

King Podge, you seem tonne struggling with bias. It is a well known thing that players around the league don't feel any freedom in the Cairns system. It takes a certain player to do well there, and good luck to them.

Where you're wrong is the info you have been fed about the players leaving, such as Sobey. If guys don't get an opportunity, they'll go, and that includes Huier. Tevin Jackson is just sitting wait for a chance, and they won't even suit him up for home games from what I saw on TV last night.

A lot of this stuff comes down to relationship building, and although I know you're a Cairns fan, it doesn't seem to lend itself to that very well. I'd be annoyed as a Cairns fan watching all of these players walk out.

Reply #612861 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

*be

Reply #612862 | Report this post

Kingpodge  
Years ago

haha Anon, it's also a pretty well established fact around the league that Anon posters generally post garbage....

I'm pretty happy with the people i talk to and the opinions/stories i hear. I don't get fed anything.

FYI Jackson is a development player....

Reply #612879 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

So was Sobey, until the 'spend to the cap' sponsor came on board. It costs nothing to suit both DP's at a home game. Don't get your knickers in a knot, I'm not having a go at you, just stating that Cairns will lose players over time if they don't look out for their best interests, and to be honest I'd like a guy like Tevin to do well there, but that requires opportunity. Although you may not agree with what I've said in full, even you'd have to attest to the truthfulness of some.

Cairns would be many college players last choice, and not because of the money. The only reason you got McCarron was because of Worthington. You guys are lucky to have him, although you can bet your bottom dollar he will move on when the deal is up. He will the return to Cairns and put on a show.

Is Fearne a lifetime coach there, or is there room for a change every 8-10 years? Just saying

Reply #612888 | Report this post

Kingpodge  
Years ago

haha ok then, all the best to you Anon in all your future anon posts

Reply #612890 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Yeah, because KingPodge reaveals so much about you. Hmmm, ok

Reply #612893 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Yes its important for cred here to have a nick that is meaningless.

Reply #612900 | Report this post

Manu Fieldel  
Years ago

Podge, Gliddon really doesn't get shut out by hawking defences. It's in his head, and he's had consistency problems his whole NBL career. Not an ideal trait for a captain, wouldn't you agree?

Reply #612901 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Podge, feels as if people are attacking him if they don't agree or if they don't have a wicked pseudonym.

Bottom line is, there are some issues with retaining young talent (IMO)

Reply #612909 | Report this post

Kingpodge  
Years ago

Manu - I'm not sold that he's had consistency issues his whole career, but he's def had the yips on offence the last couple of weeks.

Lot more goes into being the captain than the on court stuff, but you are right that you need to bring (at the very least) poise into a game. Even if you're not scoring, you should be playing the hardest. He needs to lead from the front when it comes to effort. Someone who didn't know who the captain was, would probably think Wortho is the captain based on the game performances.

Hopefully there's a slump breaker coming Saturday afternoon. I've got faith in his ability, i just hope he does! haha

Reply #612913 | Report this post

Wilson Sting  
Years ago

Has anyone stopped to think how well the young talent have fundamentally improved and developed during their time in CNS?

Apart from NZ, there is no better DP success story than CNS in the last 5 or so years.

I don't think it's sad to see them go - i see it as a feather in the cap of the franchise and good luck to the players, who got their start and professional fundamentals in the CNS program.

If taipans had unlimited funds they would probably retain some more but they still have a bottom line which doesn't get compromised and as a result you have one of the most stable franchises in the league.

I would rather have a stable team every season then one that folds and gets rebranded every five years because they can't operate within a budget.

Sobey is an exception - no-one could have seen him playing as well as he has this season, but the other guys like Bruce, Maynard, Young and Steindl they ultimately wanted more money and the Taipans knew they weren't worth it yet - so they went to other teams that were willing to overpay them.

Reply #612915 | Report this post

Kingpodge  
Years ago

well said Wilson.

Sobey was also only hear for 1 year as a development player and behind Bruce and Maynard (contracted players as well) in the rotation for most of the year.

In a team that finished the regular season #1, had no major injuries and made it to the grand final.......

There wasn't an opportunity for Sobey to get an opportunity.

Reply #612918 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Yeah there was, he played in the finals because Maynard was 'injured'.

Reply #612920 | Report this post

Kingpodge  
Years ago

again, development player, in the rotation to give some rest for Wilbekin, Gliddon and Bruce. He was never going to get extended court time. How was he going to play more than 5 minutes per game with that rotation?

36ers go 'hey we really want you, here is some $$ and a 3 year contract'. Given (at the point he signed) that Wilbekin was coming back, why wouldn't you take the deal for more $$ and be moved up the rotation? Taipans couldn't match the $$ or guarantee he'd see more court time.

Even then, he only avg'd 10 minutes court time last season with the 36ers and only started once. Injuries happened, he got opportunities, realised the potential that they saw in him when they offered him the deal and he's had an outstanding break out season.

Reply #612923 | Report this post

Kingpodge  
Years ago

- playing/training next to a guy like Randall does a hell of a thing for your development as well...

Reply #612924 | Report this post

Manu Fieldel  
Years ago

I'm saying this lightly, but Podge you live in an echo chamber where the walls are painted orange mate.

Admittedly we don't have it too bad. We're a good team but over the last season and a half we've had problems sustaining effort and, subsequently, success.

Wilson, it's the proverbial 'chicken or egg' scenario. Even if it were the Taipans developing players, we're essentially fattening up the chicken then selling it for a loss. Not a good business model, Steggles can attest. Chickens are good for controlling tick and mosquito numbers in your yard, but instead Fearney is locking these chickens in cages where they can't do anything for you.

Fearne needs to give his birds some range, some scope. Some free range.

Reply #612925 | Report this post

Kingpodge  
Years ago

the walls are orange Manu, but I'm very well aware of my own bias, which is why i treat to measure my feels with data ;)

Reply #612926 | Report this post

Kingpodge  
Years ago

*try

Reply #612927 | Report this post

XY  
Years ago

Perhaps the most impressive thing about Sobey's break out season is that he has been able to play within the flow of the game and not force things too much. More than anything, I thought that would be his limiting factor, as he appeared last year to be playing at a pace that had him out of control too often.

This year he has been cautious with the ball and not turned it over too much, and then turns on an explosive change of pace which makes him so dangerous. Last year he had an assist to turnovers ratio of less than 1, this year it is 2.2 assists for every turnover.

Reply #612929 | Report this post

Kingpodge  
Years ago

If he doesn't win MIP i'll eat my taipans membership card...

Reply #612933 | Report this post

Wilson Sting  
Years ago

"Even if it were the Taipans developing players, we're essentially fattening up the chicken then selling it for a loss."

Not really, we don't lose money by losing the players. If we kept the players it would cost us more money.

It's not like a business that invests years of development into their staff to the point where they are near irreplaceable and it would cost them more money to re-develop - they're just basketball players that should be able to learn the team plays and rotations in a pre-season.

Reply #612950 | Report this post

Kingpodge  
Years ago

it took a few years and 2 false starts, but we got Taipans Academy Graduate Wortho back - it's a long game :)

Now we just need Aaron Baynes back.... and we're sweet...

Reply #612958 | Report this post

Manu Fieldel  
Years ago

'Money' is just part of the narrative. The 'money loss' equates to 'talent loss'

Reply #612961 | Report this post

Manu Fieldel  
Years ago

Or 'asset loss'

Reply #612962 | Report this post

Kingpodge  
Years ago

happens all the time though. Look at all the other teams that have lost development guys, or guys that have gone thru/been in the system for a while:

NZ: Wesley, Te Rangi
Perth: Jervis
36ers: Cadee
Kings: Madgen, Brandt

That's all i can think of off the top of my head.

Reply #612968 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Cadee was a GC Blaze guy. The Sixers didn't want him.
Madgen was a Sixer

Reply #612998 | Report this post

Kingpodge  
Years ago

Cadee basically only played a season for the Blaze, the 36ers were the ones that spent capital on developing him - regardless of who didn't want what in the in.

Magen DP'd for the sixers for 2 years and didn't get on the court. The kings were the ones that invested 5 years and $$ into him. But he exercise his out clause to go make a bucket load of cash somewhere else.

Reply #613016 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Yeah, and Sobey only spent a year with Cairns.
Madgen is not making a bucket load of cash, unless you consider 130k a bucketload?

Reply #613020 | Report this post

Kingpodge  
Years ago

.... you've missed the point....

And yes most people consider 130k pretty good for 6 months work.

Reply #613028 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

See, that's where you're wrong. Now I know you don't know anything about these leagues. Only 6 months work is it? Hahahah

Reply #613041 | Report this post

Kingpodge  
Years ago

*sigh* figure of speech....

you. have. missed. the. point. again...........

Reply #613048 | Report this post

Wilson Sting  
Years ago

Time to give it a rest anon. Kingpodge is well respected on this forum and knows quite a thing or two about this league. You however, are anon.

Probably best for you to get a handle so we can see who you are and ignore your posts in the future.

Reply #613051 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

So whats a figure of speech? 6months for $130K?

Reply #613054 | Report this post

Kingpodge  
Years ago

haha Wilson, you're on the Christmas card list ;)

Reply #613056 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Wilson, get off the spud bag buddy.

Reply #613063 | Report this post

snooch  
Years ago

So McCarron to start in place of Gliddon according to the Cairns Post. Interesting move.

Reply #613332 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 1:14 am, Fri 29 Mar 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754