Anonymous
Years ago

Are the 36ers now the team to beat?

One win away from top. The most in form team in the league. Let the hyperbole begin.

Topic #40463 | Report this topic

Bol  
Years ago

For mine its the Hawks

Reply #612748 | Report this post

Dazz  
Years ago

The Cats are on a winning streak, clearly they are the team with "momentum" and must be favourites.

Reply #612753 | Report this post

koberulz  
Years ago

One game isn't a streak. Adelaide have won five in a row.

Reply #612755 | Report this post

KET  
Years ago

You need a consecutive number of games won to be a "streak".

If any other NBL side had won 5 in a row at the moment they'd be called the "team to beat" so why not Adelaide?

Reply #612757 | Report this post

AngusH  
Years ago

Just about every single team is the team to beat. There are 6 solid title contenders right now IMO, and NZ and Brisbane are more than capable of turning it around.

Reply #612762 | Report this post

LV  
Years ago

The in form teams of the past few weeks are Adelaide firstly, then United and Illawarra.

But Adelaide is still only 8-6 and Illawarra 8-7. They haven't had roster changes.

United2.0 is 4-1. United with Ware has an unmistakably different look to United with Jackson.

So if we are comparing these teams, it's apples and oranges. Two have regrouped. One is more or less a new team.

Reply #612765 | Report this post

Johnson  
Years ago

You can't be serious(stole that line from John McEnroe).I'l put Melb,Syd and Hawks in front of Adelaide in terms of contenders.The only team out of contention are the Breakers with nine losses so if they lose another six out of there remaining twelve games there gone.

Reply #612766 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Dazz, this is not a thread that concerns you or the Cats. GO AWAY. The 36ers have definitely proven they can score and score well on the road which is a huge key. Still thinks depth wise, a team like United and Sydney have more depth, but yes one of the top 3 or 4 teams to look out for come finals time... and who wouldve thought!

Reply #612777 | Report this post

Kingpodge  
Years ago

death, taxes, a '36ers now the team to beat' post after a win and a 'it's time for Joey to go' post after they lose.... 4 things that are inescapable.

Reply #612779 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

A 5th thing is Dazz barging into a random discussion and trying to make it about the f***ing wildcats.

I'm really enjoying Adelaide's play right now. But I think the season has plenty of twists and turns ahead so I don't really buy any of this team to beat talk. It's too early. For now every win is a good win and the 36ers energy is great.

Reply #612786 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

Adelaide playing as good a defence as anyone right now, energetic, active and producing points going the other way.

Reply #612788 | Report this post

Kingpodge  
Years ago

Best part about the 36ers at the moment is Randall and Sobey taking the attention away from DJ.

We've seen in the past he's not that comfortable as a 1st option, but he can 100% make teams pay when they're busy focusing on the back court. His versatility is just ridiculous.

Reply #612791 | Report this post

Freethrows  
Years ago

Yeah, 'podge is right; DJ killed us last night, mostly because the defensive focus was mostly on Randle and Sobey.

Adelaide are in form, there's no doubt about that; the question is whether they can hold that form. They still only have a 50% W:L ration at home (as do Brisbane and, sadly, Cairns, now.) On the other hand, they are the league's road warriors, with a 62.5% win ratio from their eight games on the road. The bad news for them is that 8 of their remaining games are at home!

This season so far, teams have won a staggering 41.67% of away games. I doubt there has ever been a season where home court advantage has meant so little.

Reply #612794 | Report this post

Kingpodge  
Years ago

From memory DJ had 17 points by half time.....

momentum is a hell of a thing and the 36ers have it in spades at the moment.

Reply #612805 | Report this post

Pelican  
Years ago

unfortunately this is the type of momentum you want going into the playoffs...

but we can't all be Perth.....

**SUMMONS DAZZ**

whoops....

Reply #612807 | Report this post

XY  
Years ago

The Sixers did have this kind of form (actually, more convincing form) going into the playoffs in 14/15. They were on a 9 or 10 game tear IIRC without going back to look. Didn't mean much once they got there and faced the battle hardened Breakers.

The team is still young and massively inexperienced compared to every other roster in the league. I think they will still be overachieving from here just to scrape into the fourth spot at seasons end. But damn, they will be exciting to watch along the way.

Reply #612810 | Report this post

Dazz  
Years ago

Sorry, but any thread that asks "Are X the team to beat?" at the halfway point of this season is simply a childish joke.
But ok, you want to treat it as serious, then ok, the answer is NO.
Happy?

This season is very close. Sydney are clearly the best team to date, but without Blake or a replacement, and with Ware joining MU that could change.

The top 4 is still wide open, the difference between 2nd and last is two wins.

Reply #612955 | Report this post

Dazz  
Years ago

Dazz, this is not a thread that concerns you or the Cats. GO AWAY.
When you post a thread claiming that any team is "the team to beat" you inherently make it about the whole league.

But I'll make you a deal. The day Issac bans anonytrolls, I'll stop posting in threads about the 6's.

Reply #612956 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Dazz, you are like the irritating uncle at Christmas lunch. Everyone rolls their eyes when you open your mouth.

Reply #612982 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 4:12 pm, Thu 18 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754