Anonymous
Years ago

Premier League 2017 - Has BSA dropped the ball?

I have just seen the draw for 2017 season and am surprised by the length of the season. It starts beginning of April, is 18 rounds and minor round finished by mid July. To handle that there are three Saturday games followed by Sunday games the next day.

In addition there is Anzac day which is pseudo double header round. The season was looking promising with some teams strengthening their rosters with two imports but taking the game to spectators and attracting sponsors seems to have been lost with that program. I am disappointed and was curious as to others opinions

Topic #40466 | Report this topic

Anonymous  
Years ago

Maybe point the finger at Basketball Adelaide and the clubs. The schedule was derived from their requests amongst other things for a condensed season.

Reply #612844 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

You must be part of BSA to say that. When speaking to our President he said the clubs wanted a March start and avoid double headers where possible.

Reply #612864 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Yeah thats me BSA through and through. No just in the know.

Reply #612865 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

And so am I!!! Another stuff up on communication

Reply #612866 | Report this post

Jack Toft  
Years ago

The traditional season has been a 18 rounds. Each team plays the others once at home and once away.

I don't think too many clubs have an issue with a Sunday afternoon game. It's a chance for juniors to have a special training session in the morning, fundraising committee to throw on a sausage sizzle and then the juniors watch the big boys and girls.

Double headers are always a little hard to fathom what is trying to be achieved. Unless they are at the Dome, the "neutral" ground seems to be Wayville or Pasadena. I haven't seen the 2017 draw, but are the double headers at these stadiums?

Reply #612869 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

You cant have double headers at a neutral venue when the season is 18 rounds, that would negate the home and away fixture being equal (9 home, 9 away).

Reply #612872 | Report this post

Jack Toft  
Years ago

Anon,....... and that's the problem. Imagine a Sturt v Forestville & a Mavs v West double header at Pasadena. OK for Sturt, but Mavs miss out on a home game

Reply #612874 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

They are at home venues.

Jack the issue is not "a" Sunday game but three plus Anzac days. There is only 14 Saturday night games.

Reply #612875 | Report this post

Jack Toft  
Years ago

OK

Reply #612877 | Report this post

julias  
Years ago

Where can the fixture be found?

Reply #612883 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

As a player 18 games seems to short. Last few seasons have been much more enjoyable with the extra games and the whole competition playing games at one venue. A move away from this format feels like a step back for the league.

Reply #612897 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Anon above - as a player what do you think of the number of back to back games?

Reply #612898 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I have not seen this years draw, so I am not sure how many there are, but back to backs don't phase me nor should they anyone in the league! The average player age would be, what, 23?! So the physical side should be fine, potentially means you can't go out on the cans until Sunday night, but thats life.

Now I totally understand the admin side of back to backs, getting volunteers, court hire etc, but that should be up to the club/league to build to a position where these aren't issues. Do we want to become a top quality 2nd tier league, who attracts good imports and NBL players, therefor lifting the standard of ball, or are we happy to be just a run of the mill competition? To me it seems like BSA, Basketball Adelaide and the clubs are happy with the latter...

Reply #612899 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Back to back games dont appear to be an issue in any other 2nd tier league across the country. Why is it an issue in SA? Its not like you play back to back home games Saturday and Sunday. You still only have to find volunteers for 9 home games.

Reply #612931 | Report this post

hooperio  
Years ago

was very disappointed with the way the redid the junior draws for the rest of summer as well

Reply #612941 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I would love to see crowds for Sunday games - Traditionally they are down so to me this is a step in the wrong direction in promoting the game to sponsors, spectators etc.

The issue is that some clubs can't even find volunteers now and often rely on volunteers from other clubs to help out. That simply means volunteers may need to double up which may not occur.

At least BSA has sorted out the U23 competition with a probing survey.

Reply #612960 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

The clubs via Basketball Adelaide want a more condensed, shorter season so the finals are finished earlier than September (allowing for college kids presumably). To do that there must be double headers. You can't have one without the other. So when the tail wags the dog these things happen.

Reply #612965 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

The clubs wanted to complete the season slightly earlier but also requested a March start and double headers to be avoided. Seems to be confusion or a misunderstanding between the two bodies. Perhaps if it was left to Basketball Adelaide there wouldn't be this confusion!!

Reply #612974 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Seems to me there already is a Peak body that is recognised by the national body and state authorities.

Reply #612980 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

It doesn't mean a Peak body controls everything in minute detail if it can be handled better with a different structure.

Does this Peak body manage in detail country basketball - No

Does this Peak body manage in detail church basketball - No

Does this Peak body manage in detail all metropolitan domestic competitions - No

Does this Peak body need to manage in detail the Premier League - No

Reply #613017 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I actually really like the draw. Compact, none of the silly blockbusters, fair because it's H & A, double headers towards the middle & end of the season where teams are most likely at full strength. Good job I say.

Reply #613027 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

So no other state peak bodies administer their own state league championship competition. Think you will find Big V is the only exception and they still run under the BV constitution.

You're very defensive anon #017

Reply #613043 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Not defensive but airing concerns. I guess I could bury my head in the sand and believe everything is perfect in the way basketball is being administered.

So just because others do something one way makes it the best solution for us. Yes, let's keep being followers of what others do and defend our position when it goes of the rails by saying, "but they do it that way"

Reply #613088 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

You are in denial its ok.

Reply #613152 | Report this post

Ricky  
Years ago

Reply #613154 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 6:48 pm, Tue 19 Mar 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754