cheezeburger
Years ago

How long until we see the next larry bird?

there will never ever ever be,another lary bird!

Topic #4047 | Report this topic

joshuapending  
Years ago

your point?

Reply #47060 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

u just answered ur own question cheezeburger

Reply #47062 | Report this post

cheezeburger  
Years ago

exactly.no replys are needed in this thread.i just every bball player to know that there will never ever ever be another lary bird.

Reply #47064 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

then why did you bother making this thread if everyone knows that? =\

Reply #47074 | Report this post

Little Trevor  
Years ago

i disagree.

I think we will find anothe player of Bird's ability. Perhaps not with the draw, charisma and character of bird, but that's all subjective anyway.

next 5-7 years, he'll be European 6"8' and be able to shoot it off the shotclock, off the second tier stand, between the hotdog guys legs, nothing but net. I'll bet a big mac on it!

Reply #47082 | Report this post

52-cans  
Years ago

ill bet a whopper on it

Reply #47086 | Report this post

Dr Bullshit  
Years ago

haha there will be players better than larry bird but nobody the same as larry bird....

Reply #47092 | Report this post

Kriss  
Years ago

if manu was a little taller cheezey would you call him the next larry bird?

Reply #47112 | Report this post

DJ  
Years ago

Players these days - that are good, generally have alot more athletic ability than bird :-) I dont think we will ever see someone like bird again.

Reply #47119 | Report this post

wak  
Years ago

shorts are longer these days

Reply #47121 | Report this post

mark  
Years ago

Sarunas Jasikevicus who just signed with Larry Bird's Pacers has a number of similar characteristics.

Phenomenal shooter, leader, team player and competitor. Was told he would never make it in the NBA because of his lack of athleticism.

Should be fascinating to watch whether he can continue his Olympic/Euroleague form into his NBA career.

Reply #47165 | Report this post

cheezeburger  
Years ago

no i wouldnt kriss.larry can keep his feet unlike manu.

Reply #47206 | Report this post

m dizzle  
Years ago

that lithuainian guy is a pg bird was a 6-9 combo forward, slight difference

Reply #47241 | Report this post

Moses Guthrie  
Years ago

Oh no, Bizzy's back. Go back to your normal name so at least we know who you are! ;-)

(Mod: He's been blocked. Sorry for the interruption. And it wasn't Bizzy -- Bizzy is a good guy.)

Reply #47256 | Report this post

The truth  
Years ago

Bird was a freak hard to replace ... I really dont Like How players Get compared to greats without doing much ... The next Michael Jordan Has been Done to death ... Lebron James was the Next Jordan before he even Played a Game in the NBA .. the Next Larry Bird Better earn this Title ... Coz its a fair Title to have a players Head

Reply #47293 | Report this post

Moses Guthrie  
Years ago

Bizzy - was only kidding. Some guy was doing some exceptional stats-padding.

Reply #47400 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

The thing people forget is that not only was Bird a great outside shooter, he was smart about his shots ... according to basketball-reference.com, he only averaged 1.9 3pt attempts per game for his career, while shooting the 3 at a 37.6% success rate ... so unlike todays 3 point gunners, he was smart about it and didnt do it to death and detract from the other talents he had

Reply #47786 | Report this post

David N  
Years ago

u cant compare Manu
to Larry Bird

Reply #48188 | Report this post

MW  
Years ago

They thought Tom Gugliotta was the next Larry Bird when he came out of college

Reply #49218 | Report this post

responder  
Years ago

I think it will take a long time if it happens. This person would have to be

1. Great at every type of shot.
2. Efficient all around shooter.
3. A great passer
4. Have amazing court vision.
5. Great improvisational ability.
6. A great jump shooter
7. Great in the post
8. Have great box-out rebounding technique
9. Be a great clutch shooter.
10. Great at stealing the ball from and faking out players with superior athletic ability.
11. Extremely quick thinking.

We also can't forget that Bird played most of his career before the rules were altered to make scoring easier. He played in a time where more physical play was allowed, so there was more that a defender could do to hinder your shot and there was lot less separation between the defender and the shooter.

Reply #182009 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 7:43 pm, Fri 19 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754