Aussie
Years ago

New Chinese and Melbourne team in NBL?

Watching the game between NZ and Perth, the commentators on Fox Sports 3, were mentioning an article in the Telegraph about perhaps a Chinese team and another Melbourne team in 2018.

Anyone got the link? (I can't find it)

Topic #40479 | Report this topic

Anonymous  
Years ago

Read the forum... there's a Kestleman thread about this.

Reply #613117 | Report this post

Johnson  
Years ago

NO NO NO . This is most even nbl season ever and they want to expand and bring in weaker sides.I'm not liking the idea.

Reply #613119 | Report this post

Aussie  
Years ago

"Read the forum... there's a Kestleman thread about this."

Good try but that thread is about the Herald Sun, NOT the Telegraph.

Also, the Herald mentions nothing about a new Melbourne team.

Anyone else?

Reply #613122 | Report this post

Aussie  
Years ago

"NO NO NO . This is most even nbl season ever and they want to expand and bring in weaker sides.I'm not liking the idea."

This is all about revenue. Which is pivotal. Sports, or any business

Reply #613128 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Found the article

http://www.couriermail.com.au/sport/nbl-to-expand-in-2018-with-china-melbourne-and-wellington-in-line-for-teams/news-story/cd3da111b22393636a4a0b590a01f5a7

Wellington makes sense, would be interesting how they'd make China work, I'm guessing Australian and New Zealand teams would play their 2 games in China during the same trip and the Chinese team would do 5 or so game tours to minimise travel.

Reply #613155 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I don't hide the fact I’d love to see a team potentially based at another Australian location, but playing a lot of games out of China or the Philippines.

"It will still be an Australian NBL club, but it will build an audience and following in Asia."

Haven't we learned from the slingers failure? If you want an Asian team name it an Asian team. Not an Australian team pretending to be an Asian team and failing to capture the imagination of the Asian and Australian market

Reply #613157 | Report this post

Dazz  
Years ago

I don't know the exact dynamics of what would work best, but a 2nd team in Melbourne certainly makes sense. If they can get a bunch of non-tigers and non-MU fans back to the NBL, and get a cross-town rivalry going, it could be epic. There are some big venue in Melbourne, so cross-town games could become HUGE.

Same with Wellington, there is just so much to like about that idea. Trips to NZ would become the new "doomsday double," but at least with the 2nd game the travel factor would be mitigated. And again, an inter-NZ rivalry could be huge.
Over time, it would also water down the Tall-Blacks' factor.
My only question is whether they have a big enough venue?

Not sold on trying to play games in China.

Reply #613171 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

"If you want an Asian team name it an Asian team. Not an Australian team pretending to be an Asian team."

I don't think FIBA will let the NBL have a team based in Asia, so LK has to find another way.

What I'd expect is a something like a team with Chinese owners, who play most of their home games in China, have a deal with Chinese TV, a mix of Aus, NZ, US and Chinese players but are officially an Australian-based team.

Reply #613173 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Dazz, Wellington have a 4,000 seat venue where the Wellington Saints play in the NZ NBL, which is about the same size as the Brisbane Convention Centre.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/TSB_Bank_Arena

Reply #613180 | Report this post

Matt  
Years ago

My views

1)FIBA wouldn't mind as now Oceania is playing in FIBA Asia's Olympic qualifying format

2)I'm not sure the Chinese basketball Assocation will allow chinese clubs to play in an Australian league. It could undermine the local CBA comp.

3)Maybe an Asian champion's league format would be better to align the big leagues in the Asia-Pacific. This Champion's league format idea has been floated about since about 2010-onwards.

Reply #613203 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

Trust me, FIBA do mind. And the NBL won't be able to play games in China without CBA approval, so the fact the NBL is talking publicly about it tells me that side of things is going well.

Reply #613204 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Not questioning that they do mind, but can you explain the reason?

Reply #613211 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

And why isn't there a champions league tournament? Is it too hard logistically?

Reply #613213 | Report this post

Dazz  
Years ago

Dazz, Wellington have a 4,000 seat venue where the Wellington Saints play in the NZ NBL, which is about the same size as the Brisbane Convention Centre.
Sorry yeah, I was vaguely aware of that.
I'm thinking the issue with Brisbane, and any other new team, is that you expect the crowds to grow over time, and move to a bigger venue. Makes sense to start in something around the 3~4k mark, get a good atmosphere going, but to be viable long-term, they would need to be able to eventually pull bigger crowds, and have a bigger venue, especially for finals.

Reply #613214 | Report this post

Dazz  
Years ago

If you want an Asian team name it an Asian team. Not an Australian team pretending to be an Asian team."

I don't think FIBA will let the NBL have a team based in Asia, so LK has to find another way.

What I'd expect is a something like a team with Chinese owners, who play most of their home games in China, have a deal with Chinese TV, a mix of Aus, NZ, US and Chinese players but are officially an Australian-based team.
So we can't have a team "based in China,"
but we can have a Chinese team playing "Most of their home games in China"???

Putting aside the logistical nightmares and incredible expense of playing NBL games in China.
Presumably the goal (apart from an extra licence fee) is generate viewer support in China and leverage a broadcast deal with a Chinese network.
Now yes, that has the potential to be a huge deal, but you'd need to have a quality product with significant appeal to the Chinese market. China is a major country, with potentially the biggest consumer market in the world. They are not some pisspot developing nation happy to take the westerner's scraps.

Let me put it this way, if instead the NBL entered a team n the Chines League, would we all buy Foxtel subscriptions to watch it?
Particularly if it was just some re-branded Chinese team with a Dodo sponsorship deal???

For starters, we'd need to establish the NBL as a significantly superior league. We could do that with many of our neighbouring countries, but I'm not so sure about China? How much do Chinese players make in their league? I don't know enough.
Then, no matter how you structure it, it needs to be something that grabs the support of the Chinese. A reincarnation of the Slingers isn't going to do that.

Reply #613216 | Report this post

Dazz  
Years ago

Reply #613217 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Well said dazz. I would've thought the champions league format where our teams play theirs is the best way to show our quality. Then you have fans from their respective nations with parochial barracking for their own teams rather than some foreigners who play out of your gym. It just makes too much sense not to do it

Reply #613220 | Report this post

koberulz  
Years ago

For starters, we'd need to establish the NBL as a significantly superior league.
What was the smallest margin in the NBL vs CBA games at the ABC again?

Reply #613231 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Wellington and Hobart only in the short term imo

Reply #613242 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

The article is on the Herald Sun page and the DT.

Reply #613260 | Report this post

If they want to expand into Asia they should look to something closer and more easily relatable to Aussies. Field a Bali side. They could wear Bintang singlets. I'm not sure of a team name, but it's probably best to avoid the nickname of the old 1940s St Louis NBA team.

Reply #613277 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

More drivel from Dazz. Go and whinge to the mods yet again, you lowlife.

Reply #613291 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Fair go buddy. Try to take every post on its merits instead of just prejudging based off who posted it. I reckon the 3rd in that series of 3 posts might be his best post ever.

Reply #613294 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Leave Dazz alone. He discovered recently that coaches use numbers and words for plays.

Reply #613299 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 12:26 pm, Wed 24 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754