Matt
Years ago

Greatest NBL team ever (imports and locals)

I'm gonna pick my best NBL team ever, and that includes everyone(the only selection criteria is the player must of played 20 games).
I'm considering everything, longevity/impact on the league/the standard of the league at the time(so in my view 1979-85 league was lower standard but just my view). So many good players and so many players I'm gonna hate leaving out e.g. Steve Woodbury/James Enni/Al Green/Rocky Smith/Derrick Polk. But here is my team(12-man squad I want people to choose) and it may get revised as this thread rolls on.

Starting 5: Gaze/Doug Overton/Chris Williams/Scott Fisher/Mark Bradtke
Bench: Dwayne Mclain/Darnell Mee/Leroy Loggins/Terry Dozier(power-forward)/Reggie Smith(centre)/Chris Anstey(centre)

That is my 12-man squad.

Topic #40481 | Report this topic

Matt  
Years ago

Starting 5: Gaze/Doug Overton/Chris Williams/Scott Fisher/Mark Bradtke
Bench: Dwayne Mclain/Darnell Mee/Leroy Loggins/Terry Dozier(power-forward)/Reggie Smith(centre)/Al Green(off-guard)/Chris Anstey(centre)

ps- I put up an 11 man squad on first post thinking it was 12. So now is my 12-man squad and "Al Green" makes my team

Reply #613140 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Bradtke
crawford
mckinnon
gaze
Heal

Reply #613156 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

I'm taking longevity out of it and just picking my best team.

Anstey
C Williams
Childress
Gaze
Jackson

Reply #613167 | Report this post

Beantown  
Years ago

Without a good sortable stats database, its too hard to fairly work this out, so I'm just going to go with the five I'd like to see take on the best of the NBL...

Bradtke
MacKinnon
Rose
Gaze
Mee

In the modern tradition, I'd go small around Bradtke and rely on the length and athleticism of MacKinnon, Rose and Mee to clean the defensive glass. Plenty of defence, shooting, slashing and playmaking in that five!

Reply #613181 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

Let's get a time machine and play all of these fives off against each other, now that would be amazing!

Reply #613183 | Report this post

Beantown  
Years ago

Now that would be something to watch Paul! Break 20 of the NBL's best ever players into four five man teams. Each team plays the other three. 4 x 5 min quarters. Bonus points for each quarter won. Top two fight it out in the title game!

Reply #613188 | Report this post

Matt  
Years ago

2000's imports like Mike Chappell(future NBA) and Chris Burgess Cairns Taipans were very dominant, so much talent in league. Plus guys like Todd Lichti/Willie Farley/and so many more. Guys like Cal Bruton and Rocky Smith were great players to.

Reply #613196 | Report this post

Bol  
Years ago

Ricky Grace / Cal Bruton (c)
Andrew Gaze / Al Green
Leroy Loggins / Robert Rose
Terry Dozier / Chris Williams
James Crawford / Reggie Smith

DP's Bradke,D-mac,Childress,Ennis,Fisher

Reply #613205 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

The most enjoyable time watching the nbl
were the mid 80s to the mid 90s/late 90s
with the cross town rivalies between the
South east Melbourne magics, tigers and the north Melbourne giants.

Reply #613243 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

I'm not sure I'd put late 90s in there, that period was dour and low scoring. Once they cleaned that up I thought 01 and 02 were both really entertaining seasons with high-quality basketball.

Agree about the late 80s and early 90s, that era can never be replicated, the NBL found itself, the public discovered basketball, not many teams had discovered defence, and the big disparity in talent between the best and rest players in the league allowed the stars to really stand out.

Reply #613257 | Report this post

HoldenV8  
Years ago

PG - Ricky Grace
SG - Andrew Gaze
SF - Leroy Loggins
PF - Mark Davis
C - Mark Bradtke

Bench - Brett Maher, James Crawford, Cal Bruton, Robert Rose, Chris Anstey.

Coach - Brian Goorjian

I would have loved to put Phil Smyth as coach, but Goorjian's record speaks for itself. 6 championships and no worse than the Semi-finals every season from 1990-2009. Can't get better than that in this league.

Reply #613320 | Report this post

Freethrows  
Years ago

Grace / DMac
Gaze / Green
Rose / Loggins
Crawford / Williams
Bradtke / Smith

Add Overton and Childress because I'm allowed 12.

BG would have to be the coach.

Reply #613440 | Report this post

Bear  
Years ago

Mills
Ware
Ennis
Childers
Jawai

I win!

Reply #613453 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

Todd Fuller
Derrick Alston
Awvee Storey
Jo Jo English
Will Blalock

Reply #613454 | Report this post

Bear  
Years ago

Mills
Ware
Ennis
Childers
Jawai

Oh, and just for fun coming off the bench I will have

Homicide Williams
Joe Ingles
Shane Heale
Dave Anderson
Matt Knight
Andrew Gaze
Leonard Copeland

I still win

Reply #613458 | Report this post

Beantown  
Years ago

Lol Bear, I'll take my 5 against yours... Bradtke, MacKinnon, Rose, Gaze, Mee!

Would be a fun game, but I feel like you'd only have the edge with a fully healthy Childress over MacKinnon.

Reply #613467 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

And I'll take my five over both of yours! There have been so many great players over the years you could probably name 20 teams and still be right on the money.

Reply #613470 | Report this post

Bear  
Years ago

Ha, seriously I would have a 30 point lead after the 1st quarter with that line up!

:)

Reply #613476 | Report this post

Mike  
Years ago

Disgusted to see no Vlahov

Reply #613486 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

Bradtke
Vukona
Vlahov
Lucas
Martin

Reply #613488 | Report this post

Dazz  
Years ago

I think you HAVE to factor in "longevity" or some notion of "overall" contribution.
Otherwise you have to contend with the guys who played a couple of games here after a successful NBA (or Euro) career, and someone like Longley who played a couple of games as a teenager.
So, that said:

Ricky Grace / Brett Maher
Andrew Gaze / Kevin Lisch
Leroy Loggins / Sam McKinnon
Scott Fisher / Mark Davis
Chris Anstey / Mark Bradke

Extended bench: Robert Rose & Wayne McDaniel

Reply #613491 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Paul you have Jackson? I'm surprised after what I saw this year

Reply #613492 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Pg - Grace/trice
Sg - Lisch/gaze
Sf - Ennis/vlahov
Pf - Fisher/redhage
C - Crawford/jawai

Reply #613493 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Leroy logins was overrated.

Reply #613494 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

"Paul you have Jackson? I'm surprised after what I saw this year"

Here are some of the reasons why I chose Jackson over Grace, D-Mac and CJ Bruton:

Won assists title in first 4 years in NBL - only player in league history to do so.

Played in titles in first three years - only player in league history to do so.

Won 3 x club MVPs (I think) in championship years.

Won 2 x Grand Final MVP - equal best in league history with Grace, Maher and Anstey

Reply #613516 | Report this post

Rass Posse  
Years ago

IMO the import that is the best player that gets left out of these discussions is Ray Owes who played for the Geelong Supercats. Still to this day he is one of my favourite imports to ever play here. Owes went on to play for the New York Knicks after his few seasons here , and by memory he had a 16 point and 12 rebound game for the Knicks.

Reply #613526 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

Great call Rass, he was a beast at the Supercats.

Reply #613528 | Report this post

JR  
Years ago

Yes agree that longevity is a factor, let's say 50+ games, I haven't checked the exact game number but that's the idea.. roster of 12

Modern game uses combo guards rather than traditional 1 or 2 spot players.
So in the guard positions: James Ennis, Andrew Gaze, Darnell Mee, Ricky Grace, CJ Bruton, Lanard Copeland
Forwards/Centre: Kevin Brooks, James Crawford, Dwayne McClain, Chris Anstey, Josh Childress, Leroy Loggins

Honourable mentions to: Heal, Fisher, Tim Dillon and a few others

Starters: pure opinion but you could go 99 different combinations and still win.
Didn't pick Longley as he played as a kid and I considered form in the NBL to be a selection criteria.

Reply #613550 | Report this post

JR  
Years ago

Oops Ennius didn't play 50 games, substitute for Heal Or Robert Rose.

Reply #613551 | Report this post

JR  
Years ago

And Brian Goorjian would coach that team to destroy any other lineup, the athleticism, quickness, inside out offensive firepower and defense would be world class.

Reply #613552 | Report this post

Matt  
Years ago

Dwayne mclain JR was a shooting guard. Ennis by the way was a small forward

Reply #613567 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

"Here are some of the reasons why I chose Jackson over Grace, D-Mac and CJ Bruton:

Won assists title in first 4 years in NBL - only player in league history to do so.

Played in titles in first three years - only player in league history to do so.

Won 3 x club MVPs (I think) in championship years.

Won 2 x Grand Final MVP - equal best in league history with Grace, Maher and Anstey
"

Yes, he had a strong resume, but he also made most of those achievements at a time the league's depth was not as strong. Who was his competition for assists titles during those years, for example?

Whereas guys like Grace, Rucker, D-Mac, Heal, Mee seemed to play against each other.

Reply #613690 | Report this post

Beantown  
Years ago

"Ha, seriously I would have a 30 point lead after the 1st quarter with that line up!"

Bear, that's because my boys would spot you a 30 point lead after the 1st just to make it a challenge!

I reckon Jawai would foul out pretty fast and then it'd be 5 on 4 :-)

To be fair, I haven't seen Ware play yet, but he'd need to be pretty good to have a bigger impact on the game than Mee or Rose!

Reply #613790 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 9:54 am, Sat 20 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754