Hoopie
Years ago

Sobey v Newley

I didn't pay a lot of attention to Brad Newley in his early days but I'd be curious to know your thoughts on how Sobey compares with Newley at the same age. They strike me as similar in abilities and styles, but Sobey is younger.

Could (or should) Sobey go to Europe to improve, like Ben Madgen and Newley did?

Could Sobey actually end up being a better player long-term than Newley?

Topic #40494 | Report this topic

Anonymous  
Years ago

Newley averaged 16/17 ppg as a rookie and won rookie of year and best sixth man for Townsville if my memory serves me well. Then the following year averaged like 23 before going overseas. He was fairly young as well.

Reply #613670 | Report this post

lawsy  
Years ago

It's not a fair comparison to be honest, Newley was an absolute beast in first few seasons. A lot bigger and has lasted 10 years as an import in very tough Spanish leagues. Sobey for me is a long way off, but seems to be developing ok

Reply #613675 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I'd say Sobey is right up there already. If you want to know how Adelaide has gone from a non-playoff team to the best team in the league right now, his improvement is probably the primary reason.

Reply #613676 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Perhaps a more interesting conversation would be: has anyone ever showed such a massive one-season improvement as Sobey has?

Reply #613678 | Report this post

Dazz  
Years ago

I don't think Players "go to Europe to improve" You have to be a good player first.
Generally the easiest path is for those who can qualify for a passport from a European country, usually because a parent was born there. So what is Sobey's background?
Otherwise they have to make it as an import, and that means they are usually a step above most players in the NBL.

From a career perspective, yes, if he gets the opportunity he should definitely go to Europe, and yes he would improve once there.

Reply #613679 | Report this post

Pelican  
Years ago

Lol Newley.

Reply #613681 | Report this post

Zodiac  
Years ago

Even though right now at this point of time I would rather Sobey on my team than Newley back then in his Townsville days Newley was better than Sobey is.

Sobey actually reminds me of a young Newley but Newley was a bigger perhaps faster version with a better outside shot. That's why he was drafted by Houston and they told him to go and play in a better league overseas.

I can't see Sobey being drafted by an NBA team.

Reply #613682 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Sobey's game is more polished than Newley already. You could see today, Newley just trying to barge his way through traffic and his finishing was not clean, whereas Sobey's was. Probably the only thing Newley has over him at the moment is experience.

Reply #613684 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

As '670 said, Newley had an instant impact in the league.

Sobey doesn't have the power, so I think he's a different type of player, but he's obviously come along very quickly and has probably had a similar impact as Newley might have in Adelaide.

Reply #613685 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Zodiac, Paul Rogers, Ater Majok, CJ Bruton also got drafted by NBA teams. Just like Newley, they didn't get close to actually making a roster. Being drafted doesn't mean much. At the time, the international scouting wasn't as good and NBA teams would draft a lot of international players hoping to find a diamond in the rough.

Reply #613686 | Report this post

Zodiac  
Years ago

I don't believe I said anywhere that Newley did get that close to making Houston's roster?

Reply #613691 | Report this post

BigAds  
Years ago

Ben Madgen was pretty useful in his second season at Sydney

Reply #613704 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Sobey's been playing for how long now? Clearly he's had a great season so far. Newley made the impact from season 1. There is NO comparison.

Reply #613705 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Newley couldn't shoot the three ball very well, which is why he never played NBA. His handle is also suspect.

Reply #613715 | Report this post

SteveK2  
Years ago

Well before talking about Europe, probably wait and see if Sobey wins the Most Improved award first this season. Should be the favorite so far.

Reply #613717 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Yeah MIP is important where?
He couldn't shoot the 3 in the NBA so you say, then go on to say his handle is supect as well. In the EU it wasn't suspect for so many seasons. Go back to where ever you came from anon. The couch it seems.
How is your game? Give us your CV that makes you drag down someone that you have never meet. I heard at work you were underperforming and a whiny lil bitch who sux up to the boss all the time.
So many people happy to do the tall poppy syndrome thing.
He had a poor game. That's it.

Reply #613729 | Report this post

Manu Fieldel  
Years ago

People don't seem to realise Sobey is almost 26.5 years old

Reply #613735 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Anon, it's a fact. I got the info from the assistant GM of the Rockets. It's not a personal attack on Newley. They felt his handle and shot wasn't at the level, hence he didn't play any NBA games.

He did a decent job in Europe for a long time.

I also noted his gestures to the Adelaide crowd on Friday night on his way to the locker room. Lost his head.

So, fellow anon, please debunk any of my 'theories' so I can sit back on my couch.

Reply #613739 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

SteveK2, "should be favourite so far"? Who else is even close?

Reply #613743 | Report this post

140kg of jam  
Years ago

Manu and a very good 26 year old at that. He's got another two years until he reaches his peak. If he keeps improving he could be amazing

Reply #613750 | Report this post

SteveK2  
Years ago

"Yeah MIP is important where?"

I dunno why don't you ask some players that won it? Heal, Bradtke, Anstey? Ask their agent too maybe.

As to who is close for the award this season, Cadee and Majok Majok most likely depending how they finish the season.

Reply #613767 | Report this post

ME (he/kangaroo)  
Years ago

No one is even close to Sobey in the MIP race. He's got it. It's his. It's done already.

As for Newley vs Sobey, you're talking about two players playing two different positions and with different skill sets. Sobey is a lot older than Newley was when Newley was at the same stage of his career, so it is fair to say Newley's ceiling is probably higher than Sobey's will be.

Having said that, Sobey is getting looked at by some NBA teams and apparently has a Summer League invite. I wouldn't put it past him to keep improving and maybe play for the Boomers at some point.

Reply #613775 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Shame they spelt his name wrong anon. No wonder he as a local was pissed off.
You talked to an asst something at buttfucknowhere years ago and you didn't post anonymously then about it!
I am very relaxed. Thanks for asking.

Reply #613783 | Report this post

Mike  
Years ago

MIP is one of my favourite awards, if not my most favourite, especially when they award it to someone who has come out of nowhere to star like Sobey has this season.

I think I got one in my junior basketball days as well :P

Reply #613786 | Report this post

skull  
Years ago

Sobeys emergence this season is because he has Randle taking the heat.

Reply #613792 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Yeah skull, that's right! Randle didn't play with Sobey last year.....ooops, yes he did, but nice try. Sobey did an incredible amount of work in the offseason!

Reply #613795 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Sobey is only 5 years younger. There's no comparison whatsoever. Newley was taking games by the scruff of the neck when he was 18 in his rookie year. Sobey is 26 now and isn't doing that at all. Could Sobey end up being a better player overall? Also a joke, Newley is a two time olympian and 3 time world championship boomer while Sobey has never been invited to a camp. Move along please

Reply #613796 | Report this post

140kg of jam  
Years ago

You guys are overrating how good newly was back when he played for Townsville. Good player but hardly dominant

Reply #613798 | Report this post

Zodiac  
Years ago

In Newley's 3 seasons with Townsville, back with 48 min games.

2004/05: 16 ppg, 3.3 rpg, 1.9 apg, 51% fg, 34% 3pt

2005/06: 19.3 ppg, 5.1 rpg, 4.3 rpg, 44% fg, 35% 3pt

2006/07: 22.1 ppg, 5.2 rpg, 3.2 apg, 45% fg, 41% 3pt

In 2005 only player to win rookie of the year & sixth man of the year in the same season. He scored 20 or more 10 times and was also MVP of the All-Star game in his rookie season.

In 2007 finished Top 5 in the league in scoring including a 46 point game. He was All-NBL second team.

Reply #613799 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

Funnily enough, if you compare them both at 26 Sobey is playing better basketball than Newley was at that point, as that was the trough in Brad's career.

On current form they are playing a similar level of basketball, but Newley's got way more runs on the board obviously.

With the exception of two years in Lithuania and Spain he has had a high-quality career, being amongst the best players in the Australian, Turkish and Greek leagues and was a quality Spanish league starter.

Reply #613802 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Yeah, the anon that was all angry because I said he couldn't shoot the three very well, take a look at the stats above! That's why no NBA.

Sobey wasn't even looked at for any state team or NITP training. So his rate of improvement is higher.

Different players, but Sobey is a lot quicker.

Reply #613805 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

So going on Sobey's rate of improvement according to you guys he'd be in line to win the NBA MVP in 2043

Reply #613813 | Report this post

XY  
Years ago

Love Sobey, but he is a late bloomer as many have said, so the comparison with Newley is awkward at best, even if there skill sets and game styles were more closely aligned.

Better question is where does Sobey currently rank amongst non-restricted NBL guards - he could be the best Aussie guard in the league at the moment.

Reply #613819 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Kevin Lisch and Chris Goulding would have to be above him for aussie guards

Reply #613820 | Report this post

XY  
Years ago

Probably, but it is not at all clear cut.

If you normalise playing time between the three, it would hard to be able to say so. Per 32 mins stats are:

Sobey 17.8 pp, 4.0 ass, 5.9 reb, 1.2 steals, 1.7 t/o
Lisch 17.7 pp, 3.2 ass, 3.5 reb, 1.9 steals, 1.1 t/o
Goulding 17.1 pp, 3.4 ass, 2.5 reb, 1.0 steals, 1.5 t/o

Shooting percentages across the board for all three are pretty similar. Rebounds are the biggest difference in Sobey's favour, Lisch has the best assist to turnover ratio.

You could easily make the case that Lisch and Goulding have more experience and are more wily, or that Lisch the better defender (although Sobey has been far from terrible in that area). Sobey has the advantage of youth on the other two.

Reply #613831 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Sobey's 26 years old? He looks like he's 15!

Reply #613834 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Whoever Newley's friend/relative who keep getting angry when people give an opinion needs to calm down. No one said he was shit or that he hasn't had a stellar career (which he has), only pointing out some facts. The assistant GM of the Rockets (you know, the team that drafted him) isn't a nobody, he is one of the decision makers and as such, was involved I'd say. But hey, only a rumour right?

I wish Newley did make the NBA as his game is much better than some that have made it, but the fact remains, he didn't.

It's a shame that any players name is spelt wrong, but to carry on like that at the end of a game is not the most professional way to go about it. I'd imagine a bit of that anger was directed at Powell for the game losing pass.

Reply #613846 | Report this post

LV  
Years ago

Sobey has had a great season, and is probably right up there for an all NBL team selection if he keeps it up.

But he needs to do it consistently for the rest of this season and then do it again next year before we start comparing him to people like Newley.

Reply #613851 | Report this post

LV  
Years ago

Sobey won't be a better long term player than Newley. He'd have to improve on this season a bit more and then remain at that level for many years in different teams. Instead of just looking good for a season.

Possible yes. Likely no.

Reply #613852 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

LV, what makes Newley better than Sobey as of right now?

Newley is a stronger/more powerful athlete, but Sobey arguably is just as quick and has a better leap.

Newley has demonstrated the ability to hit more 3s, but is still somewhat streaky with his jumpshot. Sobey doesn't hit as much volume but I'd say his percentage isn't bad?

Sobey is a better ball handler and passer. Newley probably the edge on D.

Yeah, I don't see too much in it, to be honest.

Reply #613860 | Report this post

M.C Gusto  
Years ago

Sobey would be a great fit in europe as his flopping game is perfect for those leauges. Love the rest of his game but cmon Sobey stand up and take a hit like a Man....

Reply #613865 | Report this post

Zodiac  
Years ago

This season:

Newley: 17.7 ppg, 5.2 rpg, 4.1 apg, 48% fg, 34% 3pt

Sobey: 15.4 ppg, 5.2 rpg, 3.4 apg, 48% fg, 37% 3pt

Newley: 19 games/33.5 mpg

Sobey: 16 games/27.3 mpg

Reply #613867 | Report this post

LV  
Years ago

based on Newley's omission from Rio, and his reduced output in Spain in 2015/16 compared to 14/15, Newley would appear to have slowed down a little and be on the back end of his career.

Given Newley has been every bit as good as Sobey *this season*, Sobey would need to improve to get to where Newley was a couple of years ago, when Newley was a Boomer and doing his best work in Spain.

Reply #613869 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

The sixers haters gonna hate. And you wonder how they're top of the league. Sobey is a very big part of that

Reply #613872 | Report this post

LV  
Years ago

Plus there's also the issue of adapting and consistency. Can Sobey adapt his skills and make an impact in different leagues and different coaches/systems? Remains to be seen.

Plenty of ppl have one good season at a relatively young age but never return to those heights. (Blanchfield could yet become another). But Newley is a bona fide Boomer who has plyed his trade in various leagues around the world

Reply #613873 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Newley is an arrogant toss. The bloke thinks way too highly of himself.

Reply #613874 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Sobey has the benefit of playing with Randle, Lisch and Goulding are alphas

Reply #613913 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

"based on Newley's omission from Rio, and his reduced output in Spain in 2015/16 compared to 14/15, Newley would appear to have slowed down a little and be on the back end of his career."

Offensively I think Brad's playing almost as well as he ever has this year. His three-ball has dropped away the past few games as Gaze runs him into the ground but before that was shooting as well as he has since he was in Turkey.

He's well and truly in his prime and is playing with a real chip on his shoulder after missing Rio, as evidenced by averaging 22 & 5 against Brisbane and 26 & 5 against Perth!

Reply #613954 | Report this post

Alex  
Years ago

Sobey makes a couple of big plays and all of a sudden he's the next big thing. Sure, he's athletic, but there's more to the game.

Reply #614020 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

He's done more than make a couple of big plays, he's had an excellent year at both ends of the court, shot well, finished well, defended quality players, made good decisions, rebounded, shared the ball well.

Yes, he needs to prove himself over a longer period of time, but over the course of this season he's been one of the best players in the league.

Reply #614026 | Report this post

ROFLcopter  
Years ago

Sobey has been huge this year and I agree he is a major part of the 36ers surprising form. Soon as Joey increased his and TFergs minutes & dropped Teys/Drmics minutes, good things started to happen.

He has a long way to go to get anywhere near Newley's career though...hopefully they both stay in the NBL.

Reply #614051 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Sobey makes a couple of big plays and all of a sudden he's the next big thing. Sure, he's athletic, but there's more to the game.
Have you matched many of his recent games? He has provided at both ends, scored in different ways, etc. I figured he might end up being a scorer on a bottom team at best but he's been a serious contributor to a side that has a gap at the top of a competitive ladder. Haven't seen him make many mistakes in the recent games.

People can say it's because Randle is taking the heat, but does anyone want to say that for Goulding or Ware, for countless other second options?

Reply #614073 | Report this post

LV  
Years ago

"Sobey has the benefit of playing with Randle, Lisch and Goulding are alphas"

Not really, Goulding plays with Ware (and CG was injured for half of the games before Ware arrived). Lisch plays with Newley.

Reply #614078 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

All good during the season, see how and if they make the post season. When you perform at the business time of the year that's when you can comment.

Reply #614242 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 11:54 am, Fri 29 Mar 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754