Moses Guthrie
Years ago

Australians in the NBA

Something's been irking me. Over the past few weeks, we've been all excited about Bogut and Schenscher joining the NBA. Articles in the press then mention that Longley, Gaze, Bradtke, Heal and Anstey have also played in the NBA, so Bogut and Schenscher are #6 and #7 respectively.

Occasionally, they'll also mention that Ricky Grace had a 10-day contract with Atlanta.

My question is: was Ricky Grace naturalised at the time (I think it was 1996) and if so, he's either an Australian or he isn't?

Topic #4050 | Report this topic

Bulldog  
Years ago

He was born over there, so he would have had dual citizenship.

Reply #47118 | Report this post

40th Street Black  
Years ago

Wasn't Eddie Palubinskas the first Oztralian to play NBA?

Reply #47129 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I think he was drafted but never payed a game.

Could be wrong though.

Reply #47133 | Report this post

XY  
Years ago

The Americans don't do the dual citizenship thing. Either you're American or your not.

Reply #47135 | Report this post

Kent Brockman  
Years ago

Eddie played in the ABA not the NBA.

Reply #47137 | Report this post

Moses Guthrie  
Years ago

Does anyone know when he got naturalised? My point is that if it was prior to his playing in the NBA, then he's an Australian. Don't discriminate on whether he was born here or not. Lots of people were born overseas and then adopted another country. Take Dominique Wilkins, for example.

Reply #47254 | Report this post

Kent Brockman  
Years ago

Mo
I beleive Ricky was stil an American at the time. I think it was 1991 that he played his contract, his 2nd year in the NBL.

He did not naturalise til much later.

Reply #47319 | Report this post

Kent Brockman  
Years ago

http://old.anglicanmedia.com.au/old/scn/Sport.html

says that he naturalised after 96 and played at Atlanta in 93/94

Reply #47320 | Report this post

Moses Guthrie  
Years ago

Thanks Kent. Good to see another player signed up. ;-)

Reply #47401 | Report this post

Jarrad  
Years ago

about eddie he was drafted as a point guard in the NBA, but never pklayed a game as he was too small... some believe Eddie was one of the greatest freethrow shooters ever.. in all his ABA games he never recorded a miss!

Reply #64500 | Report this post

JJ  
Years ago

Newley will be next. If you've seen him rock the Swamp you'd understand. Watch for him to go well early too. He won't be worried by the Yanks trash talk. He'll school em

Reply #70568 | Report this post

Gus  
Years ago

I think you will find that it was 1993 that Ricky played for Atlanta, but I shall find out from the man himself.

Reply #157119 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 2:23 am, Thu 25 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754