140kg of jam
Years ago

Off topic: UberEats

Anyone had any experience with this service?

Also, I'm curious about the business model. I assume it uses the same network of drivers as the "normal" uber. But drivers would want to be getting paid the same as if they were transporting people, wouldn't they? Yet the delivery cost is only $5. So the restaurant foots the rest of the bill?

Topic #40501 | Report this topic

Isaac  
Years ago

Uber subsidises their service to both establish their foothold and drive out competition. This is invariably funded by their investors to date.

So, when you pay $20 for a ride, there's every chance that Uber have paid more than that to a driver depending on demand at that point. They've often had guaranteed hourly rates regardless of customer demand.

Reply #613840 | Report this post

Yo Yo  
Years ago

Uber Eats charges the restaurant 30%

Reply #613848 | Report this post

AKA  
Years ago

I've used Uber Eats and think it is great. I've also got Fedora and Deliveroo (I'm inner city Melbourne) and they are fantastic also. The last two mentioned are predominately cyclists with some using a scooter. They charge a flat $5 delivery fee along with there being a $25 minimum order.

I love the fact that as the consumer we aren't limited to the traditional take away options. I have a friend who owns a restaurant which utilises Uber eats and he said it has helped his business grow also. Win-Win!!

Reply #613876 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Say I'm an Uber driver. A trip from the cbd to an inner city suburb usually is a $20 trip. So instead of dropping off a person, I'm dropping off food. Uber only charges $5, so based on what I read above uber subsidises the other $15?

Seems like a large subsidy and what competition are they actually squeezing out? Yes for Uber normal I understand they're changing people away from taxis. But when it comes to food delivery a lot of these restaurants don't currently do it.

So let's say they get heaps of restaurants in board and a lot of orders. I still wonder who is going to close that funding gap

Reply #613955 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Uber lost over a billion AUD in the third quarter. The VCs invested in them are essentially subsidising the service.

If they can hold their ground and establish their brand, eventually they will be rid of drivers and fuel costs and be in a box seat. They are already trialling semi-driverless cars for rides in California.

Reply #614046 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 7:13 am, Fri 26 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754