Anonymous
Years ago

NBL Commentators

Can we please get NBL commentators calling games that have played basketball!!

Its so frustrating listening to the lead non basketball guy who either is a foxtel nrl or AFL employee tell stats for 4 quarters about players and link it into a story and rely on Rosen, Carfino, Heal and Greer explain the game to the viewers.

Surely there is enough former NBL players around in each city that can fill the commentary chairs!

Kettlemen take charge of a vital part of NBL if you want it to grow!!

Topic #40505 | Report this topic

Matt  
Years ago

Bill Woods never played NBL and was good. Not sure if John Casey played NBL. It works well I find 1 sports journo/1 NBL ex player or 2. A good balance.

Reply #613898 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I prefer former players who played the basketball and know how to sell to the viewers which can persuade them to watch a game live!!

Plus they can go the whole game without having to look at their note pad of quotes to fill in time during the game.

I don't think we will see a nbl player calling a AFL or nrl this century!!

Reply #613903 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Didn't mind the combo tonight. The non-basketball guy is likely to be more accessible for new fans. Not fussed about that.

Reply #613905 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Who are you referring to that you want replaced? Most of them are doing a very good job

Reply #613920 | Report this post

NBL Fan  
Years ago

Matt Russell was very good with Carfino tonight I thought.

Reply #613925 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

The OP said Kettleman ffs. Zero cred if you don't know by now who owns the League.

Reply #613928 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Bring back Rucker!!! He was great. Rosen, not so much

Reply #613929 | Report this post

Watto  
Years ago

It'd be good if they just didn't make shit up. Cody Ellis did not win a championship with Stirling in the SBL. Also carfino needs to retire. Can we get Derek Rucker back?

Reply #613933 | Report this post

ROFLcopter  
Years ago

My biggest problem with the broadcasting are the court announcers being so loud on the TV. Some stadiums are much worse than others.

Sydney and Brisbane are so bad it's embarrassing.

I've no problem with the announcer revving the crowd up but it needs to be much quieter on the tv. I'm sure repositioning the crowd microphone could achieve this as it's nowhere near as bad at other stadiums.

In my opinion, this one factor makes the sport appear lame and tacky to first timers or casual observers.

Reply #613934 | Report this post

orbit  
Years ago

Commentary tonight was great!!

Is that the same anon who wants championship coaches sacked??

Reply #613936 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Agree that Carfino is the issue, not Russell (who is fantastic).

Also agree with ROFLflogter that I am sick of hearing the announcer saying "lets go bullets, lets go" every play.

Reply #613941 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

The best play by play commentator over the last 20 years has been John Casey by far, he never played NBL he's just a sports journo. Carfino let it slip tonight that Casey will be back calling NBL games on Fox starting with the Hawks home game on NYE.

Reply #613957 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Bill Woods was not bad either when he called all the Kings home games with Carfino back in the 90s. Now that he's reading the sports news on the Fox sports news channel, surely the NBL could use him to call some games as well.

Reply #613958 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Agree with ROFLcopter that the court announcers need to be somehow muted on the broadcast. Every highlights video is overwhelmed by the courtside announcer yelling "For threeeee!" And the music is just too much - often makes me cringe.

The music in Brisbane coming over the broadcast mix is much more reasonable than in Adelaide where it's too dominant.

If you listen to NBA games, you notice the music is mostly beats for the crowd. The sound mix there is court noise and then the commentary foremost.

Reply #613967 | Report this post

AussiePride  
Years ago

Nothing worse than courtside announcers leading lame cheers and chants over and over again. Absolutely cringe worthy and pathetic. You don't want to hear this at the stadium yet alone on TV.

Play the beats/sounds that build suspense and allow crowd led chants by all means.

Reply #613971 | Report this post

KET  
Years ago

Wishlist for next season:

Anchor commentators
Brenton Speeds
John Casey
Anthony Hudson
Dwayne Russell

Colour commentators
Heal
Carfino
Rucker
Harvey

Sideline reporter
Gelmi
Ingles
Robbins
Jenkins

Reply #613974 | Report this post

KET  
Years ago

Also, the girl who narrates the previews/results videos is far superior/more professional than Greer

Reply #613975 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

Adam Papalia is far superior to Anthony Hudson, who is better this year but still average. Paps understands the game and calls it very naturally.

Reply #613981 | Report this post

KET  
Years ago

I like Papalia too, but Hudson is that (successful) voice everyone knows - it adds professionalism and legitimacy to the league.

John Casey really needs to return, he's the voice of basketball. Many will have heard his voice during the Olympics as well.

Reply #613984 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

I don't think Huddo adds professionalism when calling basketball, but each to their own. No way should the NBL get rid of Paps though, good callers who know basketball are few and far between, and I hope he's calling the league for a long time to come.

Reply #613985 | Report this post

Watto  
Years ago

I'd like to see Casey Frank replace Carfino next season.

Reply #614011 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

John Casey is a little cringe worthy at times. But as one of a several-man rotation, I think that could be just the right "serving size", as he does bring some good qualities.

Reply #614013 | Report this post

Alex  
Years ago

Matt Russel did Wollongong sport for WIN TV, so knows basketball from the Hawks - and it shows. Carfino and Heal speak intelligently, largely without bias, and are happy to dump on a team/player/coach where warranted. The other ex-players are zeros.

Reply #614018 | Report this post

ROFLcopter  
Years ago

Casey Frank should never be calling a Breakers game. Damn that guy is one-eyed.

Greer is good.
Heal is good.
Carfino is great.
Trigger is average but seems a nice guy.

I'd prefer no AFL commentators calling it TBH.

NBL needs it's own identity. Where is Homicide? I thought he was very entertaining and added heaps of colour. Damn he had a huge man-crush on CG43!

Reply #614027 | Report this post

KET  
Years ago

Homicide is the reason the mute button exists

Reply #614028 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Bring back Walshy

Reply #614036 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

As long as brad Rosen isn't involved I'd be happy. He is passionate and loves the game but his delivery is just painful and irritating imo.

Reply #614044 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Homicide and Rosen make me wish I could mute the commentary. Both keen and Rosen obviously loves talking basketball, but I just don't enjoy his style at all.

Reply #614048 | Report this post

Rasheed30  
Years ago

Dwayne Russell is too over the top for my liking.
He gets way too excited over simplest of plays and seems to exaggerate things like how big the crowd is.
Rosen sounds like a high school science teacher trying to teach a class.

Reply #614060 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Sadly the majority are lame.

Best journalist commentator is John Casey.

Best ex-player commentator is Rucker.

Both not involved. Shame.

Also Casey-Gaze combo at Olympics was legit but the latter is coaching now.

The rest suck. Heal is the worst, ex-player but just talks for the sake of talking. A player with that much experience who can't provide any decent insight shows you he ain't the brightest.

Also no one even the good commentators in Australia actually analyse the game, breaking it down with Xs and Os but at least get ones who are polished. Footy yob commentators suck.

Reply #614111 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I actually don't mind all the commentators. They do a good job and much better than what we have had for a number of years.

Russell and Rosen are passionate and I for one love it. Rosen especially, as someone thaat understands basketball but not the details I love that he says it like he does. He is like the Peter Sterling of basketball.

Shane Heal is just crap. He says it like he is right and every one else is wrong.

Reply #614166 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 2:05 am, Fri 29 Mar 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754