AngusH
Years ago

Khazzouh out for season

Disappointing... It's easy to look back and say the Kings should've signed a replacement at the start of the year, but he's been "a week away" for about a month now, and just couldn't get himself back on the court. Sucks for Jules and the Kings. I wonder if it's even worthwhile signing a player at this point, given the potential disruption. You could argue the Blake signing was when the wheels started to come off after the hot start to the year.

Topic #40511 | Report this topic

Isaac  
Years ago

Really surprised they haven't tried to replace Blake. Seems they need a backup combo guard who doesn't need to score to be happy. Surely options around.

Reply #614047 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

AngusH, I'm pretty sure Josh Powell was signed as cover for Khazzouh, was he not?

Reply #614057 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Childress come on down

Reply #614064 | Report this post

ASternWarning  
Years ago

Yes, I believe Powell was signed for the hole created by Khazzouh's absence in the frontcourt.

I agree that a backup combo guard is what the Kings need. Someone to carry the ball in the event of injury and spell the starters. Given the lack of Aussie options, I'm surprised that a low cost import hasn't been brought in yet. Will we see one in the next week whilst time is still on the Kings' side?

Reply #614074 | Report this post

LV  
Years ago

Now you can all stop talking about Sydney and daylight, that prediction was predicated on Sydney having a full roster. Since they don't have a back up guard, and now won't have Khazzouh either, they're basically 2 men down for depth compared to most other teams. Prewster, Moller, Hill are weaker than the players most teams have in those positions on the depth chart. Sydney better be hoping they don't get struck with more injuries.

Reply #614075 | Report this post

ASternWarning  
Years ago

This season is far too close for anyone to be talking about daylight (outside of an open topped stadium!!)

Reply #614080 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Yes, when they signed Powell and said it was for the whole season it was basically code that khazzoih wasn't coming back

Reply #614084 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

Sorry LV, the Sydney then daylight comment was completely wrong long before Blake left.

Just like your daylight then Illawarra comment, which is working out just as well for you I notice.

Your Adelaide are clearly the worst defensive team in the comp comment is looking pretty shaky as well.

Are you watching this NBL season via satellite feed from New York, because all your comments seem to be on a serious delay ;-).

Reply #614088 | Report this post

orbit  
Years ago

Jerome Kendle anyone?

Reply #614095 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Kings got wins early probably the requirement of the new owners so they really only used 7 players and a few minutes here and there for others, which in hindsight now does not look that good with no kazzu and not really knowing what Hil, Moller and Prewster can do,where as all other sides played most of their benches and have a good idea, certainly Adelaide and Hawks. The kings run home has less games so they should freshen up and they also have a spot left on their roster with kazzu out. Gaze knows his stuff so I'm not ruling them out yet, unless the wheels totally fall off they should make the semis and then anything is possible.

If the kings bring in a replacement does he have to play a minimum of 8 games.

Reply #614098 | Report this post

Dazz  
Years ago

Feel bad for the guy.

Is this the same injury, did he re-injure?

Reply #614099 | Report this post

Jumpshot  
Years ago

I have said for weeks, Kings need import PG and Centre/Power Forward. Otherwise it's bye bye season.

Reply #614103 | Report this post

koberulz  
Years ago

If the Kings are going to bring anyone in, it has to be within the next two games. It's really too late at this point.

Reply #614105 | Report this post

LV  
Years ago

Paul- I made it clear at the time that my daylight comment was under the assumption of a full Kings team.

I never said it was Illawarra and then daylight. After Illawarra's first 7 games, I predicted they definitely wouldn't make the top 4 due to their defensive woes. That was after picking them for 4th spot in my pre season predictions, so it's good to see them now looking like a group that will fulfil my original prediction. I bet on Illawarra to make the 4, then cashed it out for a good profit after 2 or 3 rounds of the season.

I never said Adelaide were clearly the worst defensive team, I said they were the easily the worst defensive team to date in terms of Opposition ppg. (Which is still the case, hence history suggests they won't be champs despite their current 7 game streak and Team to beat status. I was making a comment based on that history, so I'm happy to stay with my comments there). I actually predicted Adelaide for last in my pre season picks, made multiple different bets on the same, and then cashed out my bet for some handy profits at their lowest point before they started winning.

Many of my predictions have actually been pretty good considered in their totality. But it's early days. I'm enjoying this season immensely, it's a shame that the busyness of life has prevented me from following as closely in the past few weeks as I was over the first couple of months.

Reply #614112 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Khazzouh would've been a 20 minute rotation big with Powell and maric already on board. I doubt taking him out of the equation transfers them from 'daylight' ahead to being an also ran.

Just take it like a man lv and admit you were wrong

Reply #614133 | Report this post

LV  
Years ago

I was wrong in that sense that I no longer think it would've been Sydney and then daylight, even with a full team

But fact remains that my prediction was based on assumption of a full squad

The other thing I got wrong was incorrectly assessing Steve Blake's contribution (as pretty much everyone else did). I made (or perhaps repeated) those daylight predictions after Blake's first game, where a strong first half after just getting off a plane and not playing since Feb made him appear a future NBL star. In the end, off court issues got to him, or maybe he just didnt gel with Lisch who returned the next game.

But, in fairness to me, I doubt any of us would've predicted that had Blake departed that he wouldnt have been replaced. I still find that odd, it leaves them very underhanded in the guard spot. With another talented guard who complements their group, I still believe they'd be the best of the bunch, although probably not by daylight.

Reply #614138 | Report this post

LV  
Years ago

Sorry that was meant to say "strong *second* half"

He couldn't hit a shot first half, but came good in the second

Reply #614139 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

LV why the sudden fascination with Sydney? Gaze coaching?

Reply #614140 | Report this post

Air Delay  
Years ago

The Kings will be fine.
I've liked seeing Newley used in the 2, giving Moller & Hill opportunities in the rotation & they WILL come good!

Gazey is a smart dude & he's realised he's overplayed his stars & shoulda given the younger dudes more of a crack (did you hear his last press conference?) so I reckon he'll do this from here on out.

Even though Cadee seems to have a lock as a starter, I'd LOVE to see the Kings play-

Lisch
Newley
Whittington
Powell
Maric

As their core 5, Cadee as their back up guard, Moller as their back up 3 (behind Whittington & Newley) & Garlepp & Hill as back up 4-5s. With all of the Kings bigs slow of foot & prone to fouls there'll be plenty of time for each of them to go hard for shorter stints & win the banging & boards every game!

No real need for a 10th or 11th man, except maybe as a pest defender for short stints here & there - AKA Prewster.

Reply #614146 | Report this post

LV  
Years ago

Partly. Gaze is my biggest basketball idol, always has been. I was wearing number 10 in the 90's as a junior when everyone else wanted #23, 32, 33, or 34 etc.

And just partly because they've assembled a talented roster and so I'm interested to see how they go. I put a bet on them to win 18 games fairly early on. Obviously that bet is pretty much dead now (But thankfully I have plenty of other bets to steady it up, like Cairns is basically guaranteed to win 10+), so that was another reason for my recent interest

Reply #614147 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Fair enough LV.

Reply #614148 | Report this post

Juwan Howard  
Years ago

Thought Powell would be more of a contributor. Maric can't score unless it's a dunk and is foul prone. 5 is a weakness for them.

Reply #614157 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

Air Delay, problem with benching Cadee is the ball sticks so much when Lisch is running the show. When Cadee's out there the offence flows a lot more and that makes others more effective.

It's quite amazing that in the 175 minutes Cadee has been on the bench the Kings have been outscored by 78 points. That's equivalent to an 18-point loss over 40 minutes.

He has the league's best +- by quite a margin. Cadee is +117, Rob Loe is +83, Chris Goulding +73, Greg Whittington +65, Nick Kay + 63 and no one else above 50, although Casper Ware is closing in fast.

Reply #614167 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Garrett Jackson is the rumour. About to be a Dandy Seabl player too apparently?

Reply #614170 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

Yep, because they definitely need another forward!!!

Reply #614171 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

paul, beware of using plus/minus as a strict judge of players' contributions

Reply #614181 | Report this post

SteveK2  
Years ago

Yeah Garrett Jackson looks likely to be signed by the Kings. So that means Gaze going to persist with the Lisch, Cadee & Newley backcourt rotation. Also means that the Moller/Prewster experiment probably going to come to an end with Jackson filling the role that Gaze had assigned to those two previously.

Could be a case of third time lucky. Jackson may turn out to be a better offensive option than Bryson or Blake. He seems quite capable of knocking down the open three, an area Moller was struggling with and was exploited in the last two games by Adelaide.

Reply #614191 | Report this post

Air Delay  
Years ago

Cheers Paul - yeah, I'm amazed with Cadee's +/- as I swear when watching the games he's one of the defensive weak links?

I don't mind the ball being in Lisch's hands all the time, but he does need lots of knock down 3 options (like he had at Illawarra) to complement his A game.

Is Cedric Jackson an option? Or is he playing somewhere else?

Reply #614194 | Report this post

Johnson  
Years ago

LV i can't understand how you made a good profit with Illawarra with a negative record after 3 rounds.I'm not sure of there record after 3 rounds but i do know they beat Adelaide in 1st game and lost to Kings,Perth and Melb U in the early rounds and were 2-5 at one stage.

Reply #614206 | Report this post

Johnson  
Years ago

LV i can't understand how you made a good profit with Illawarra with a negative record after 3 rounds.I'm not sure of there record after 3 rounds but i do know they beat Adelaide in 1st game and lost to Kings,Perth and Melb U in the early rounds and were 2-5 at one stage.

Reply #614207 | Report this post

Johnson  
Years ago

Reply #614208 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

"paul, beware of using plus/minus as a strict judge of players' contributions"

I'm very wary of that, but when someone is the clear standout in the league, and their team is pummeled when they're not on the court it's best to pay attention and watch to see why.

Reply #614210 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Sk2

Jackson is a four man, Prewster/Moller are two threes, I can see Whittington, Newley getting more time in the three a nd Garlepp, Hill more time in the four. Not convinced Jackson is the sort of defender the kings require, again all guess work and I've hardly picked a winner all year.

Reply #614212 | Report this post

LV  
Years ago

Johnson the Hawks were $3 to make the 4 at start of the season. They smashed Adelaide by 34 to start. I can't remember exactly when I cashed it out, maybe it was later on, but I made a profit of roughly 50%. .. Also bet on Kings to win the title at $4 and then cashed it out when they got into $2.70. I've cashed out most of my bets this season, except the win targets which you can't cash out

Reply #614223 | Report this post

LV  
Years ago

Those are interesting +- Paul, thanks for posting. Where did you get them from?

Reply #614224 | Report this post

JMc  
Years ago

+/-

https://crunchtimeshots.com/2016/11/09/nbl-onoff-court-numbers/

Reply #614239 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Jackson is trying to naturalise I hear.

Reply #614301 | Report this post

LV  
Years ago

Thx JMc

Reply #614307 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 4:24 pm, Thu 18 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754